Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

This "NFT Gallery" opened a couple blocks from me:

https://www.imnotart.com/

I get mad every time I walk by...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So since NFTs are purely digital, how do they display them? And are they like on loan from the owners or is it just some rich rear end in a top hat showing off the ones he owns?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Zil posted:

So since NFTs are purely digital, how do they display them? And are they like on loan from the owners or is it just some rich rear end in a top hat showing off the ones he owns?

They could just right click ones they want to show and if anyone complains just change it to a different one

I'm more of a "print screen" guy myself

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
NO PICTURES! NO PICTURES

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I know whats getting its windows smashed in at the next anti-globlisation riot!

Those rioters are going to break into that gallery and right-click so hard.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

GigaPeon posted:

lol, their souvenirs are more NFTs you can mint for like $300 apiece (plus another 1/4 to 1/2 of that in fees, of course).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GigaPeon posted:

How absolutely not shocking they went with another generic no-code website builder theme.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bullying works
https://twitter.com/therichardkarn/status/1478504258148257794?s=21

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If he's that hard up for cash, I'll donate $5 to the save Al Borland fund.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zil posted:

it's advertising

it's basically a room full of digital billboards

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

KarNFT never truly lived :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Zil posted:

Ultra Quality Digital Displays!

Probably a few reference displays, maybe some stuff from the Sony Professional line, I actually think Planar of all companies plays in the ultra-high quality commercial display market even though all I really remember them from is lovely computer monitors.

Oh, never mind, they just went to Best Buy and bought some Samsung The Frame TVs, which BTW, are not even the best displays Samsung makes. I mean, they are, fine, good even, I have thought about buying one for our living room, they are not however ultra-high quality displays, they are mid-range displays in nice looking cases.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Zil posted:

It's just some sad sack boys with card tables and teevees.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/msquinn/status/1478528600550690820

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1478534526787747842

People are going to lose so much loving money over GIFs.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Didn't you just tether in a bunch of tokens?
yes.
Isn't that acting like a fiat currecny?
screw the rules I have apes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i know they're almost certainly going to take the money and run, but i hope they actually try this and produce another fyre fest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHopGox5cU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Nice, it's the next iteration of seasteading!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

repiv posted:

i know they're almost certainly going to take the money and run, but i hope they actually try this and produce another fyre fest

You have to watch this video in its entirety.
I hope it real, but it sounds fake as hell.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yesssss just keep saying "crypto" over and over again and every time your scamproject becomes more legitimate! They already worked out everything with the government of Fiji! Plus look how good this 3D animation looks! These two things are both definitely true and of equal value!

Edit: I really had to do some research to convince me that this is not a satire.

Double edit: maybe the video is? Crypto island is definitely trying/pretending to be a thing.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2022

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I can't wait for it to turn out to be a larger scale Epstein island and that the owner of cryptoland just become some kind of power broker.

Or it just become a lord of the flies situation.

Or the fyre festival.

Or (and the most probable outcome) it's just a bunch of vaporware to scam a bunch of people like any other seasteading movements.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 5, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

is this what having a stroke feels like

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Can’t wait for the monkey jizz “definitely not a book” NFT

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

GigaPeon posted:

It's just some sad sack boys with card tables and teevees.

it's honestly impressive they found a way to do art that is completely free from women

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1478555053615194112

there's more digging into the very well thought out plans in that thread

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why does location matter, just make an nft or line of code in a text file saying you = there, dick = wet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

repiv posted:

What?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

repiv posted:

lmao

Getting flashbacks to the nice article i read on the attempted crytpo cruise ship that failed because it turns out you can't operate a ship for free

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Is anyone competent anymore? Crypto in general has just driven my opinion of humanity lower and lower. The vastness of the incompetence and complete failure to engage in the most basic critical thought is just… incredible.

Were people always this incompetent or is there truth to the internet just destroying people? Or just both?

It’s both, isn’t it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

tehinternet posted:

Is anyone competent anymore? Crypto in general has just driven my opinion of humanity lower and lower. The vastness of the incompetence and complete failure to engage in the most basic critical thought is just… incredible.

Were people always this incompetent or is there truth to the internet just destroying people? Or just both?

It’s both, isn’t it.

in a post-fact world ppl just go with whatever they want to be true, and boy do they want their get rich quick schemes to be true

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

tehinternet posted:

It’s both, isn’t it.

smart things can happen eventually after the disasters have already happened and have been properly documented and there's some institutions in place, like with aviation, civil engineering etc

the financial system is a bit different since it really rewards looking for loopholes and consequences are either non-existent or just slaps on the wrist

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

tehinternet posted:

It’s both, isn’t it.

Plenty of people aren't buying this poo poo but it's in the interest of a lot of people with money and clout to keep the whole thing going long as it can.

The true believers are basically just unbelievably noisy.

Oh and some CEOs of various places who show why we shouldn't have CEOs or at least, not like them (if you're still all in on capitalism)

Thing is there's actually an awful lot of people on the world and there'll always be a large fraction of dumbasses or people who are just incredibly credulous (or, the real victims, the desperate), and the internet has put them in reach of all of us.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
My brain is genuinely melting at the cryptoland thing. The dimensions of satire and reality have merged and obliterated the barriers between the two, I cannot comprehend it. It's like watching the magnum opus of tim and eric.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Asproigerosis posted:

My brain is genuinely melting at the cryptoland thing. The dimensions of satire and reality have merged and obliterated the barriers between the two, I cannot comprehend it. It's like watching the magnum opus of tim and eric.

It’s even weirder than that, they were probably inspired at least indirectly by Tim and Eric. It’s like how science fiction used to predict and inspire technologies, avant-guard surreal alt comedy satirising capitalism predicted and inspired the next wave of said capitalism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chaosbreather posted:

It’s even weirder than that, they were probably inspired at least indirectly by Tim and Eric. It’s like how science fiction used to predict and inspire technologies, avant-guard surreal alt comedy satirising capitalism predicted and inspired the next wave of said capitalism

A lot makes sense when you realise that cocaine makes you unable to understand irony.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Didn't you just tether in a bunch of tokens?
yes.
Isn't that acting like a fiat currecny?
screw the rules I have apes.

So the conclusion I'm drawing is that Libertarianism isn't a fixed system of ideas but an open dialectical process in which scapegoats are continuously identified (fiat, the state, taxation). These scapegoats are then dispensed with to be replaced by new versions of themselves in a "re-inventing the wheel exercise" and then the cycle repeats.

e: Libertarians are attempting to be a Petit Bourgeoisie in an age where monopoly capitalism has eliminated any basis for an independent middle class.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 5, 2022

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Prurient Squid posted:

So the conclusion I'm drawing is that Libertarianism isn't a fixed system of ideas but an open dialectical process in which scapegoats are continuously identified (fiat, the state, taxation). These scapegoats are then dispensed with to be replaced by new versions of themselves in a "re-inventing the wheel exercise" and then the cycle repeats.

e: Libertarians are attempting to be a Petit Bourgeoisie in an age where monopoly capitalism has eliminated any basis for an independent middle class.

Can't wait for the creation of neo-Bitcoin which will be trumpeted as avoiding the centralisation and entrenched interests plaguing the old one, while being set up from the start to incentivise the exact same behaviour

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

repiv posted:

lmao

I only made it a couple of minutes into the video, but one dude clearly states right at the start that the island is in Fiji. It took me about 2 minutes to find it on Google.

So at least it's a real island: https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...71!4d178.065032

edit: I should have opened the thread as they'd already done this extensive research.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 5, 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Had a conversation with crypto friend and he was telling me how apparently January is the month for a particular altcoin. Looking at the markets (at least today and yesterday) he might possibly be right.

I asked him why is that the case, he basically said that “people decide to pile in on this coin for a while, then move on to another one”. So, basically nothing to do with the fundamentals or intrinsic value of anything really, just whack-a-mole and the closer you are to having your finger on the pulse, so to speak, the greater chance you have to make some money.

This seems just incredible to me, but at the same time eminently believable given the financial climate were in. I definitely do feel like GME was the epoch for this. The idea of crazy gains for negligible effort, just following the crowd, has replaced due diligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Durzel posted:

Had a conversation with crypto friend and he was telling me how apparently January is the month for a particular altcoin. Looking at the markets (at least today and yesterday) he might possibly be right.

I asked him why is that the case, he basically said that “people decide to pile in on this coin for a while, then move on to another one”. So, basically nothing to do with the fundamentals or intrinsic value of anything really, just whack-a-mole and the closer you are to having your finger on the pulse, so to speak, the greater chance you have to make some money.

This seems just incredible to me, but at the same time eminently believable given the financial climate were in. I definitely do feel like GME was the epoch for this. The idea of crazy gains for negligible effort, just following the crowd, has replaced due diligence.

Huge parts of the stock market have been basically the same way for the last two years. With many stocks, value is almost completely decoupled from fundamentals. Just invest in whatever you feel like will be going up, YOLO :shrug: