Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

power levels, above 9000, cannot be measured so you may as well trash your scouter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
we fuckin do sports stats and people treat those as irl power levels, there really doesn't need to be much reason for power levels/rankings or whatever people throughout history have always tried to quantify power and status through arbitrary indicators

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
yo who changed my av

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Duelling dictators causing bystanders to gasp on the sidelines as they remove jackets at each to reveal more and more military medals

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chat thread post counts

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i definitely cahnged ball's avw ith my money

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't believe u

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Chat thread post counts

waiting for polsy to post the updated power rankings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thread 28 is canon btw

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

DoubleDonut posted:

I mean in Dragon Ball itself power levels are revealed to be Pretty Much Bullshit right after they're introduced

That's kinda the point in general.

Power levels are introduced to make the reader think "oh geez, their perfectly accurate machine said the villain is ten times as strong as the hero, how can the hero possibly win?!" Setting the expectation that the villain is overwhelmingly stronger makes for a more dramatic situation.

But of course the hero's side has to win, so they necessarily have to find some way to overturn or overcome the supposed power difference. So whatever power difference was announced via power levels has to be either changed somehow (like unlocking a new powerup) or rendered moot (like by revealing a special technique that ignores power differences).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

shitpostersama ranking

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aurora posted:

didn't we have this convo in the season thread

I'm pretty sure it was still this thread where it happened last time.

I'm lost on what's bringing this conversation on twice all of a sudden though. Are people just now encountering anime with hurricane category devestation level paragraphs explaining who the new guy is and how he could be a threat after the last guy had a shotgun in his arm and being utterly lost in what's happening? Used to more natural explanations on why someone's Bad News like they're a serial murderer or just rumors around town of them putting 8 guys in the hospital with all of their testicles obliterated?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah, I was just watching demon Slayer and they started bringing up classes of demons and it felt out of place in a show that is more feudal fantasy using nomenclature that to me sounds more at home in am isekai or another show based more on stats.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds like Bleach

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

demons are the first things people ever classified, historically

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe it's because I don't watch a lot of isekai but that seems pretty unremarkable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also don't follow this thread religiously so sorry if I'm regurgitating a discussion from a few weeks back.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

homeless snail posted:

demons are the first things people ever classified, historically

Or was it angels

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A demon is just an angel that fell down

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I also don't follow this thread religiously so sorry if I'm regurgitating a discussion from a few weeks back.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the thing about demon slayer is that it is not very good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bring me the demon layer

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

have you checked AO3

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Patware posted:

the thing about demon slayer is that it is not very good.

it's pretty good til the final arc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Patware posted:

have you checked AO3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
thought "getting off" was something we weren't supposed to be talking about

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vizuyos posted:

That's kinda the point in general.

Power levels are introduced to make the reader think "oh geez, their perfectly accurate machine said the villain is ten times as strong as the hero, how can the hero possibly win?!" Setting the expectation that the villain is overwhelmingly stronger makes for a more dramatic situation.

But of course the hero's side has to win, so they necessarily have to find some way to overturn or overcome the supposed power difference. So whatever power difference was announced via power levels has to be either changed somehow (like unlocking a new powerup) or rendered moot (like by revealing a special technique that ignores power differences).

No I mean even in the fiction of Dragon Ball they're revealed to be pretty meaningless

Despite having the reputation for POWER LEVELS I don't think they even come up in the original run of the manga after Frieza, and even during the Frieza arc part of the point of them is that they don't actually mean anything for the protagonists because they don't just walk around going full blast all the time. I think Vegeta even jokes about learning the trick of "hiding his true strength" from the earthlings

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

How is he wearing it like that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dungeon cousin posted:

How is he wearing it like that?

He has a magnetic personality.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Namek suction cup technology

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chat thread feels slower nowadays

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I blame the op

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just now realized you got your fourth Karen back. And they're STILL unsynced.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kwyndig posted:

I just now realized you got your fourth Karen back. And they're STILL unsynced.

works for me WON'T FIX issue closed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The vtuber posts are

in captivity. The chat thread

Is at peace...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gifs are always going to be out of sync sometimes because they're loaded independently by your computer.

If you want them synced they have to be a single image.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The sub is slowly healing Cloud, and one day we may yet live to see majestic herds of Karens in the vast expanse among the tubes, jittering powerfully in perfect synchrony.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Vtubthumping

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

No I mean even in the fiction of Dragon Ball they're revealed to be pretty meaningless

Despite having the reputation for POWER LEVELS I don't think they even come up in the original run of the manga after Frieza, and even during the Frieza arc part of the point of them is that they don't actually mean anything for the protagonists because they don't just walk around going full blast all the time. I think Vegeta even jokes about learning the trick of "hiding his true strength" from the earthlings
The entire point of power levels narratively is *that* they're useless. They're meant to show that the saiyans and the frieza force don't have true mastery of ki. That's why they're surprised by the good guys being able to change and hide their power levels. Frieza's goons don't understand that you can manipulate your ki, they simply think it's meant to be going full power all the time. It's inefficient and a sign they have no actual spiritual or mental connection to their strength, they just punch hard. Goku, through training with Roshi, Korin, Kami, and King Kai, has attained complete mastery of his ki, allowing him to surprise his opponents, catch them off-guard, and save his strength for key bursts of power via stuff like the kaioken. Plus use techniques like the Spirit Bomb, which lets him use other people (and things) ki as a resource, saving his energy. You can see this in the fight with Vegeta, they're evenly matched but Goku is able to get the upper hand due to spiking his ki up at critical moments.

Even Yajirobe shows some mastery of this since he manages to use a burst of speed to catch Vegeta offguard and cut his tail. It's not really meant to show how strong characters actually are, it's meant to show that the earthlings win even though they're 'weaker' because they're true martial artists instead of just brutes.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SideM_Eng/status/1478592564689178624