Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress buys diamonds any more, other than rappers and horrible old boomers?

Get a loving interesting looking rock. Nobody is impressed by your overpriced glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

from canada-spam

enki42 posted:

oh toronto sun, never change

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"It's as authentic as my love for you"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Captain Hygiene posted:

"It's as authentic as my love for you"

It's real to me!

I'm assuming this was a double blind test...? LOL

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What gets me is that De Beers themselves couldn't conjure up a study saying even half of people find diamonds special or romantic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Studies show that gazelles find running away distressing

Source: lions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tenebrais posted:

What gets me is that De Beers themselves couldn't conjure up a study saying even half of people find diamonds special or romantic.

The big bar for "authentic" as though that's a relevant value judgement about jewelry that people would ever have volunteered if they weren't explicitly asked to rate it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I guess this is kind of a chart?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Please tell me those are all real animals.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, the first one is, and the rest live in my heart

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/TallDoctorEddy/status/1478397911285309447

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I worked in the jewelry industry for 6 years and honestly, that's exactly what most customers honestly believed. I wasted hundreds of hours of my life being lectured by people that lab grown stones were completely worthless and it was deeply offensive and insulting that I dared even mention they exist. People have been brain poisoned by marketing for decades, and that headline does not surprise me in the least. I'd heard pretty much that exact line out of people's mouths regularly for years. The majority of jewelry consumers genuinely feel that way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was once out to dinner with a friend, his cousin, and her friend, and the two girls started gossiping about a recently-engaged friend's engagement ring. Apparently it was "so tiny," and this was extremely shameful. The cousin said that if her boyfriend were to propose to her, she planned to go and get the ring appraised, and if it wasn't worth at least three months of his salary she would make him get a bigger one. If he refused, she would dump him. The friend agreed that if her boyfriend didn't care to spend at least that much, it would show that he didn't respect her. Either I or my friend asked how she would know what his salary was; she laughed and said she'd figured that one out right up front.

It sounds like some MRA poo poo, but swear to god they had this exact discussion right there in the restaurant. Jewelry marketing is toxic as hell

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Jan 5, 2022

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I got into a big argument once with the head of the Geoscience department at Melbourne University, where I was saying how good artificial diamonds are, and how basically diamonds are useless outside industry, and he was saying how artificial diamonds are massively inferior to natural ones for industrial applications. I backed down because I was an undergrad at the time and he was head of school, and I was a guest there and needed time on their ion microprobe for my project.

That night, I looked up some literature to see who was right, and found some poo poo from De Beers, with his name on it as the primary author. He used to be the head of exploration for De Beers.

https://i.imgur.com/hxh1G79.mp4

Memento has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Jan 5, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Memento posted:

I got into a big argument once with the head of the Geoscience department at Melbourne University, where I was saying how good artificial diamonds are, and how basically diamonds are useless outside industry, and he was saying how artificial diamonds are massively inferior to natural ones for industrial applications. I backed down because I was an undergrad at the time and he was head of school, and I was a guest there and needed time on their ion microprobe for my project.

That night, I looked up some literature to see who was right, and found some poo poo from De Beers, with his name on it as the primary author. He used to be the head of exploration for De Beers.

https://i.imgur.com/WsVdlFh.mp4

Head of exploitation is more like it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sounds like you'd need an ION MICROPROBE to find that guy's sesnse of ethics and decency.

Is that how they work

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

Sounds like you'd need an ION MICROPROBE to find that guy's sesnse of ethics and decency.

Is that how they work

Only work down to the 10 to 30 μm scale apparently. What you really want is an electron microscope

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Just a heads up but the caption on imgur for that image is some transphobic poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Overminty posted:

Just a heads up but the caption on imgur for that image is some transphobic poo poo.

oh gently caress seriously? Sorry about that, I just found the image on a search, didn't see the actual home page. Cheers for letting me know.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kerrabecca/status/1478133528260923395
These political compasses are getting weird.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
My only criticism is the axes should be reversed for consistency with the regular compass. Using this new paradigm we can see that Milkshake Cat believes Stalin did nothing wrong and Margarine Duck has some takes on the age of consent

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Picnic Princess posted:

I worked in the jewelry industry for 6 years and honestly, that's exactly what most customers honestly believed. I wasted hundreds of hours of my life being lectured by people that lab grown stones were completely worthless and it was deeply offensive and insulting that I dared even mention they exist. People have been brain poisoned by marketing for decades, and that headline does not surprise me in the least. I'd heard pretty much that exact line out of people's mouths regularly for years. The majority of jewelry consumers genuinely feel that way.

Marriage is about enduring hardship, ergo I want an engagement ring produced in conditions of the most hardship possible (failed states, exploited workforces, low-level ongoing armed conflicts). This way, the diamond is both materially and ontologically hardened.

If I'm going to buy a synthetic diamond, I would at least want you to rough up the guy operating the machinery a little.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ok, I'll bite. Who or what the hell is Gabby Petito?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

hooah posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Who or what the hell is Gabby Petito?

She was that woman who went missing after traveling in her van last summer. Her then boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, was the main suspect, but he was found dead later. A missing white girl case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The_Other posted:

She was that woman who went missing after traveling in her van last summer. Her then boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, was the main suspect, but he was found dead later. A missing white girl case.

Ok, I don't feel (too) bad about forgetting her name then.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wow, Africa Australis is really effin humid

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I thought Canada had a lot of swamps.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Did not expect Scandinavia and the British Isles to be that dry for some reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it me or are the figures there total nonsense?

Reading that blurb, it looks like the numbers they're displaying aren't the humidity as a percentage, they're the percentage of the day that city spent at its peak humidity. While that humidity itself is only vaguely defined. Did they pick out the city that reached the highest humidity or just the one that stayed at its maximum the longest?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I can't figure out how they came up with the left-to-right ordering.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm the second, lower, Africa.

Africa 2: Sweaty Boogaloo

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The_Other posted:

"Main suspect" in this case means "super obviously a murderer." It was pretty messed up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I thought Canada had a lot of swamps.

Space Kablooey posted:

Did not expect Scandinavia and the British Isles to be that dry for some reason.
It's a completely made up methodology where they found the day with the highest dew point and checked how long throughout the day it was in the highest bucket containing that dew point.

Among other problems, these humid places don't get high enough max temperatures to get the worst dew points, except relative humidity is a big deal for human perception of humidity and a 16C dewpoint with a 16C temperature is still a ball soaking, awful day. Finland never exceeds "comfortable" lmao.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

what

i feel bad about myself most days but wow gently caress you chart

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Confidant that it's never going to change, sure. Can't go much loving lower at this point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boomers are worried about their investments, their property value, their retirement savings, etc. Millennials simply don't have any of that lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Debian logo looks different than I remember

(honestly that's kind of a neat visualization even if it may not be the best way to represent it)