Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Has anyone been able to buy a playstation 5? I've been looking for well over a year now (I'm not paying a reseller double).

Yeah, the playstation direct shop was what did it for me after way too much time wasted with the twitter restock bots. Just be patient and lucky, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just wondering, but when it comes to Virtual Desktop, if I have a quest, is the best one to buy the one in the quest store? The one listed on steam just literally says NOT FOR QUEST in the description, so I'm guessing that's a big clue not to buy it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just wondering, but when it comes to Virtual Desktop, if I have a quest, is the best one to buy the one in the quest store? The one listed on steam just literally says NOT FOR QUEST in the description, so I'm guessing that's a big clue not to buy it.

Virtual Desktop on Steam is not what you want because it'll just run Virtual Desktop, on your desktop. Virtual Desktop on the Quest store is downloaded and run from the Quest itself. There is a partner application you run on the desktop so that the app on the Quest can communicate with and work like Air Link.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tip posted:

there's a big difference between eye tracking that's acceptable to use as a controller and eye tracking that's acceptable to use for dynamic foveated rendering

That was the consensus for a long time, and I agreed with it, but having done some tests of moving foveation recently I'm not so sure any more. If I look quickly from a high detail area to a low detail area it takes a moment for me to notice the quality change, and there's no immediate discomfort. You might not be able to get away with as big a quality difference as you could with frame-perfect eye tracking, but from what I've seen it seems like even quarter-second eye tracking would be enough to get a meaningful performance boost without noticeable downsides.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

vaginite posted:

Heard mixed/bad reviews on the official Quest 2 strap/battery pack combo - is there one folks are recommending?

I have this one and love it: https://www.bobovr.com/product/m2pro/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I do wonder about what will be the price of PSVR2. HDR + OLED + force feedback on the headset itself + eye tracking, and the previous leak said it would use the new pancake lenses (in fact it seems the manufacturer/model will surely be the same as Cambria).+2 controllers, which psvr1 didn't include, right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1478413358722256899
https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1478607127031607298

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder what any of that means in practice

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
I wonder what any of that means in theory

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I wonder if that guy thinks mini LED is some grand new technology and not an established middle ground between LED and OLED. No-one thinks you're crazy saying a headset will use mini LED, it makes perfect sense. I couldn't get a straight answer from a search on what uOLED is though, seems to basically be small OLED screens focused on mobile tech so again, makes perfect sense for a VR headset.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 5, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He’s making claims of him persevering and being correct for the likes I would guess

Not that he’s wrong about the tech, just his persecution

marumaru
May 20, 2013

njsykora posted:

I couldn't get a straight answer from a search on what uOLED is though

if that u is a µ, microLED is the Next Big Thing in screens. basically OLED without any of the downsides. last i heard it was still not close to being feasible for normal TV sizes, so i imagine it's even farther out for tiny screens?

e: uOLED? huh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nicer screens are cool, but the ones we have are fine; all I really care about at this stage is massively increasing the FOV, I would take that over literally any other upgrade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I agree. Current headsets have next to no screen door effect and the colors are good. Focus on letting us see more of the scene

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Picking this up - thank you!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was bummed out when I saw the FOV for VR2 is 110. I would like to see 140 at a minimum. Bummer.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’m so in with Sony VR this round. Outside of boneworks and Alyx, PCVR hasn’t done anything interesting. Might as well go for extremely polished AAA first party Sony titles, especially with their insane rumble/haptic trigger poo poo.

I would probably wait for those titles to manifest given the first gen of Sony VR

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I would probably wait for those titles to manifest given the first gen of Sony VR

Yeah, really.
I have the PSVR and it was a great way to get me to buy the quest but that's mostly it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

The specs look insane already, so I’m sure it’s a cost saving measure. I’d rather pay for my own audio than compromise elsewhere.

I’m so in with Sony VR this round. Outside of boneworks and Alyx, PCVR hasn’t done anything interesting. Might as well go for extremely polished AAA first party Sony titles, especially with their insane rumble/haptic trigger poo poo.

Hows Beat Saber on PSVR? Not that Sony cant do anything cool, but there is stuff on PCVR that just cant happen on Playstation

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's a good question, though. Is Beat Saber coming for PSVR2?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am looking forward to PSVR2, and I can't wait to struggle to be able to secure one as they all get bought up by bots. It really does look like a very good device, but unless Sony says otherwise, it sounds like any games from PSVR1 will not work on PSVR2. Or you'll need all of those accessories too, and that sounds terrible.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SCheeseman posted:

Even if it does, don't buy beat saber on playstation. Always get the steam version and play on any PCVR headset since more than half the content for beat saber is better served by the modding community, and the standalone Quest mods are not up to parity at all.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

didn't facebook buy them? don't imagine they'd be willing to port it to their competitors machine

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What are the technical challenges behind fov, out of interest? I'm assuming they're pretty major, since a wide fov is an absolute no-brainer and so far no-one has cracked it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Some of the better pimaxes have large fov.

I think part of the problem is that the view is curved but the displays are flat so you have to compensate with lenses and software magic.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hows Beat Saber on PSVR? Not that Sony cant do anything cool, but there is stuff on PCVR that just cant happen on Playstation

Idk, 90% of beat saber is garbage music imo, and Audica is the better rhythm game anyway. I’ll still keep my pcvr around for a while for the experimental stuff, but the last two years has shown vr is still a risky financial endeavor, and having a massive publisher/platform holder backing your work is necessary for new content that’s not Indy horror game #19 it seems.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nicer screens are cool, but the ones we have are fine; all I really care about at this stage is massively increasing the FOV, I would take that over literally any other upgrade.

Here ya go! https://twitter.com/sadlyitsbradley/status/1478805994041868291?s=21

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

njsykora posted:

I wonder if that guy thinks mini LED is some grand new technology and not an established middle ground between LED and OLED. No-one thinks you're crazy saying a headset will use mini LED, it makes perfect sense. I couldn't get a straight answer from a search on what uOLED is though, seems to basically be small OLED screens focused on mobile tech so again, makes perfect sense for a VR headset.

Micro OLEDs are just tiny OLED displays, think postage stamp or smaller.

Them being smaller than the standard phone displays used today means you need more magnification on the lenses. Regular Fresnel lenses might not be suited for them, so that might be one reason there is so much work coming out on pancake lenses.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rectus posted:

Micro OLEDs are just tiny OLED displays, think postage stamp or smaller.

Them being smaller than the standard phone displays used today means you need more magnification on the lenses. Regular Fresnel lenses might not be suited for them, so that might be one reason there is so much work coming out on pancake lenses.

Micro OLEDS are called 'micro' because the pixels themselves are microscopic (super high pixel density is their main feature), not because the final display has to be of the size of the postage stamp. The actual ones are like that because they are research, or manufacturing samples, and because the current manufacturing limits. But the whole idea is to have in the future microOLEDS of the enough size for big smartphones, and eventually for big tvs, etc. But we are talking many years into the future. Imagine a 60K tv.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Micro OLEDS are called 'micro' because the pixels themselves are microscopic (super high pixel density is their main feature), not because the final display has to be of the size of the postage stamp. The actual ones are like that because they are research, or manufacturing samples, and because the current manufacturing limits. But the whole idea is to have in the future microOLEDS of the enough size for big smartphones, and eventually for big tvs, etc. But we are talking many years into the future. Imagine a 60K tv.

are microOLEDs and microLEDs the same thing though

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I am confused. Meta Cambria is releasing later this year. But its not quest 3, and that is coming in 2023? Is meta cambria just like the quest 2 pro then?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's wild (and a but weird) to read what current users' desired improvements for VR headsets are. (Like, only 2 hr runtime before recharge is a pain point, FOV, etc) I used to build HMD prototypes in the early 2000s and to me, every single one on the market is amazing. The Quest in particular with what it does, completely wirelessly, is a mind-boggling achievement to me.

I kind of feel like an old-school RC aircraft guy, from back when mini gas engines were the only way to get enough power for model aircraft to work. Then the next step in technology happens (high-density lithium-ion batteries -- thanks to the huge cellphone market -- plus brushless motors, and high-power efficient solid-state switching) and then suddenly electric model aircraft are suddenly not only feasible, but a dominant force capable of poo poo that was never even remotely possible before. And heavy users will be all "ugh I feel a bit of control slop on an edge case of formerly-impossible hard acrobatic turns :barf: one star"

In short it is a very exciting time :haw:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's wild (and a but weird) to read what current users' desired improvements for VR headsets are. (Like, only 2 hr runtime before recharge is a pain point, FOV, etc) I used to build HMD prototypes in the early 2000s and to me, every single one on the market is amazing. The Quest in particular with what it does, completely wirelessly, is a mind-boggling achievement to me.

The very first time I turned on my Quest 2 (which was also my first time in VR), it blew my mind in a way it hadn't been blown since 3d consoles first came out

VR is already quite amazing imo

VR is good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

are microOLEDs and microLEDs the same thing though

As far as I know, yeah, sorry for the confusion.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqSNFDRXhBw

edit: Facebook... but in VR! Are you hyped? :P

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 5, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

anyone else get huge "this is just second life again" vibes from this stupid ~metaverse~ push by big corpos?

https://twitter.com/DigitalisHomo/status/1478094074909540354
https://twitter.com/3BodyProblem/status/1478096057607208960

there's no loving way this is going to be successful, right?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

The Eyes Have It posted:

I kind of feel like an old-school RC aircraft guy, from back when mini gas engines were the only way to get enough power for model aircraft to work. Then the next step in technology happens (high-density lithium-ion batteries -- thanks to the huge cellphone market -- plus brushless motors, and high-power efficient solid-state switching) and then suddenly electric model aircraft are suddenly not only feasible, but a dominant force capable of poo poo that was never even remotely possible before. And heavy users will be all "ugh I feel a bit of control slop on an edge case of formerly-impossible hard acrobatic turns :barf: one star"

Thank you for this post. I am just starting to research this stuff (not real research, more like what to buy research). This meta (heh) context matters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grocery shopping for real goods in VR by walking around a VR store and putting items in a VR cart is the dumbest goddamn thing in the world.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

marumaru posted:

anyone else get huge "this is just second life again" vibes from this stupid ~metaverse~ push by big corpos?

https://twitter.com/DigitalisHomo/status/1478094074909540354
https://twitter.com/3BodyProblem/status/1478096057607208960

there's no loving way this is going to be successful, right?

No actual people will give a poo poo about or use these, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

explosivo posted:

Grocery shopping for real goods in VR by walking around a VR store and putting items in a VR cart is the dumbest goddamn thing in the world.

Can’t wait until I can shop VR Amazon by staffing one of their bin packing booths virtually for 18 hours