Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Germany doesn't get to decide this unilaterally.

But they are trying to, by trying to ensure Nuclear isn't included in the EU Green Energy mandate. At this point, Germany has done everything possible to keep their coal and gas going, even if they pretend its about getting rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
After decades of cuts, German nuclear power has been slashed from 150 TWh to 60 TWh, yet it still constitutes 28% of Germany's clean power. Shuttering those plants continues to be a deeply anti-environmental action, and the silence on the part of Green Parties throughout Europe about it has been pretty damning.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Germany doesn't get to decide this unilaterally.

How do you figure it doesn't?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Japan's Fukushima reactor meltdown in 2011 when an earthquake and tsunami destroyed the coastal plant in the world's worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl 25 years earlier.

This statement is doing some heavy loving lifting, justifying replacing existing nuclear power with coal and Russian NG. loving journalists.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommieGIR posted:

And they are burning more coal and gas to make up the difference. And will likely miss their climate goals for the next few years.

Ironically, its driving Japan and others to do the exact opposite.

Also making energy prices in europe higher than ever. People have returned to burning fuel oil in places, I hear pellet heater sales are doing really well in germany too.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also making energy prices in europe higher than ever. People have returned to burning fuel oil in places, I hear pellet heater sales are doing really well in germany too.

Germany considers pellet heaters to be green.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Theory: Germans, who constitute one of the oldest populations by age ratio on earth, are still traumatized by the events of the Cold War, their fates left on a thread connecting the DC-Moscow hotline, punctuated by the war scare of 1986 and the chernobyl accident of 1986 - would not be caught dead supporting nuclear power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Openly supporting the Petroleum and Coal industry who have far more pollution and bodycount than Nuclear because of Chernobyl is certainly a theory. Granted, the Oil/Gas/Coal industry have worked hard to hide those impacts versus the nuclear industry.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 4, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think I've ever before considered what the average German thought when they heard the news of the atomic bombs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this...much quicker progress than usual?

China's 'artificial sun' smashes 1000-second fusion world record

quote:

China's 'artificial sun' set a new world record on Thursday by running for 1,056 seconds at high plasma temperature, the longest duration for an experimental advanced superconducting tokamak (EAST) fusion energy reactor, Xinhua News Agency reported. EAST already scored a previous record in May, running for 101 seconds at a temperature of 120 million degrees Celsius. The latest one came after it was announced last week that a new round of testing would be conducted by the Institute of Plasma Physics under the Chinese Academy of Sciences (ASIPP).

The institute, located in Hefei, east China's Anhui Province, has discharged electricity more than 10,000 times since the inauguration of phase II of EAST in 2011. Designed to mimic a fusion reaction like the Sun using hydrogen and deuterium gases as fuel, EAST will provide insights into plasma physics research that is crucial to establish industrial-size reactors to generate clean energy, according to the China National Nuclear Corp. Fusion energy is considered the ideal "ultimate energy" for a carbon-neutral energy future as hydrogen and deuterium gases are abundant in the sea.

The institute has also been collaborating with high-emission enterprises to help them achieve carbon neutrality, according to ASIPP director Song Yuntao. EAST's record-breaking performance also topped the list of 10 sci-tech news for 2021 in China by China Media Group. Now EAST has reached all three targets separately – 1-million-ampere current, 1,000-second duration and 100-million-degree-Celsius temperature. The final mission for the tokamak is to reach all the targets in one try.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

This is exciting, but I'm sad that I feel like it needs to be taken with a grain of salt since, you know, Chinese state media. At a 1000s duration and those temperatures, that sounds like they're successfully doing steady state fusion, unless the neutrons are destroying the vessel in the process.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hope it's real, but I don't think it's high chance.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
china puts out a lot of scientific papers. if there’s something to this it’ll out. sure there could be fraud there but people are getting increasingly good at picking things like this apart

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Currently all the articles I can find about it refer directly back to Xinhua, so it seems at the moment the best thing to do would be to wait for more information or confirmation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah treat any fusion news with a healthy amount of skepticism. Either way, China is still betting heavily on Fission right now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think its probably legitimate but like a lot of reporting on nuclear fusion research I think it glosses over the caveats as to whether this will successfully result in a design that produces more energy than it consumes; my assumption is having an ongoing fusion reaction doesn't mean that the magnets don't end up using more power than it produces etc.

Assuming I'm correct, its good news and progress but it isn't like they cracked open the holy grail yet.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Anyone know why the temperature of the fusion reactions is 100 million C and the temperature at the core of the sun is 15 million K (close enough to C at those temps)?

I assume that without the massive density of the stellar core you need to ramp the temps up for fusion to occur?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Anyone know why the temperature of the fusion reactions is 100 million C and the temperature at the core of the sun is 15 million K (close enough to C at those temps)?

I assume that without the massive density of the stellar core you need to ramp the temps up for fusion to occur?

PV = nRT

You are correct. The plasma in the reactor is much lower density than the core of the sun where fusion occurs. Thus the temperature must be much higher in the reactor to reach the minimum energy required to begin fusion. They're essentially forcing high pressure with high temperature. If you could figure out how to increase plasma density with better confinement, you need lower temperatures to start fusion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its probably legitimate but like a lot of reporting on nuclear fusion research I think it glosses over the caveats as to whether this will successfully result in a design that produces more energy than it consumes; my assumption is having an ongoing fusion reaction doesn't mean that the magnets don't end up using more power than it produces etc.

Assuming I'm correct, its good news and progress but it isn't like they cracked open the holy grail yet.
It's like we just got decades closer to cracking open said grail than not, rather.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

PV = nRT

You are correct. The plasma in the reactor is much lower density than the core of the sun where fusion occurs. Thus the temperature must be much higher in the reactor to reach the minimum energy required to begin fusion. They're essentially forcing high pressure with high temperature. If you could figure out how to increase plasma density with better confinement, you need lower temperatures to start fusion.
I was just reading an article that said Bremsstrahlung radiation (resulting from free nuclei colliding with free electrons in the plasma) sucks up a lot of the energy if you increase the density of the plasma, to the point that it is less efficient to try fusion at higher pressures, which is weird but I guess is one of the hard parts about fusion doing its best not to happen.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was talking with an influenza virologist this morning who was explaining, "yeah, we're right around the corner from a holy grail universal flu vaccine" on a geologic timescale, as in we'll probably crack it by the end of the century

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I was talking with an influenza virologist this morning who was explaining, "yeah, we're right around the corner from a holy grail universal flu vaccine" on a geologic timescale, as in we'll probably crack it by the end of the century

i’m def no virologist though i have a micro background, imo it is absolutely not going to take 80 years. it’ll be glorious when it happens tho

anyway about fusion and pressure this is why my favourite attempt are the canadians who are just shoving in pistons to compress it lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Infinite Karma posted:

This is exciting, but I'm sad that I feel like it needs to be taken with a grain of salt since, you know, Chinese state media. At a 1000s duration and those temperatures, that sounds like they're successfully doing steady state fusion, unless the neutrons are destroying the vessel in the process.

Nothing about this means they were successfully doing any fusion at all. They could simply be heating a plasma to that temperature via RF oscillation, keeping it going for longer than anyone else has cared to, and said "Hey we set a record!" In the absence of numbers like "fusion power generated" and "energy input," it means just this side of nothing.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The sun is *amazingly* inefficient at fusion, and produces fusion by an entirely different process. What's going on in the sun is a direct proton-proton fusion, which means that you've got mutual electrostatic repulsion of two positive charges that really do not want to be near each other, and only two proton's worth of mass to provide towards the kinetic energy to overcome that repulsion. At "only" 15 million K this reaction *almost never happens*; a given proton in the core will hang around for *billions* of years before it manages to fuse with another proton. So yes, that's basically it: if you want the procedure to happen on any reasonable time scale, you can either increase the density to a few orders of magnitude denser than a stellar core, or crank up the temperature. With D:D and D:T, you have entire extra nucleons that don't contribute to repulsion at all but which double or triple the mass of the reactants, so at any given speed they're much more likely to overcome that Coulomb barrier and get close enough to interact. That's why you can get D:D fusion, or even lithium fusion, inside brown dwarfs that are nowhere massive enough to fuse hydrogen.

In terms of energy per mass or energy per volume, the sun doesn't even measure up to a toaster.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 5, 2022

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I thought one of the bigger problems with nuclear fusion wasn't just getting it to work but also getting it to work in a way that doesn't completely scrap the entire reaction vessel since having what is basically a sun sitting a few feet away causes pretty serious structural integrity problems for every material currently known to exist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought one of the bigger problems with nuclear fusion wasn't just getting it to work but also getting it to work in a way that doesn't completely scrap the entire reaction vessel since having what is basically a sun sitting a few feet away causes pretty serious structural integrity problems for every material currently known to exist.

It is one of the bigger issues, and materials science is still ongoing for containment for sustained fusion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think the thinking on that is that we’ll keep working on the issue and seriously worry about it should it really start to matter

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's kinda like there's various bottlenecks and focus/research tends to be towards the bottleneck that's most achieveable in the near future since there isn't manhatten project levels of funding being thrown at it, engineers need to prioritize their research for the most bang for your buck.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's kinda like there's various bottlenecks and focus/research tends to be towards the bottleneck that's most achieveable in the near future since there isn't manhatten project levels of funding being thrown at it,

The Manhattan Project cost about $23 billion in today-dollars.

The US DOE estimates that when it's done ITER will have cost $64 billion. ITER itself double-swears that it will only cost $22 billion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Phanatic posted:

The US DOE estimates that when it's done ITER will have cost $64 billion. ITER itself double-swears that it will only cost $22 billion.

The Manhattan project produced the desired endpoint. ITER won't even get us to fusion power, just the proof of concept.

Fusion is orders of magnitude more challenging and material demanding than fission, so expect it to cost orders of magnitude more as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

The Manhattan Project in this case is just a short hand for "massive industrial project requiring political will and a major pooling of the states resources not just to reach a goal, but to reach it first, to meet an existential crisis head on." It should be a trillion dollars basically; or more, at several fusion projects simultaneously.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comparisons to the manhattan project are also made kind of silly for a lot of other reasons, like that fusion bombs came along not long after by basically duct taping a hydrogen fuel source to a fission bomb, but there's no obvious equivalent for creating a stable fusion reactor

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I think the Apollo project would be a more apt comparison in that there is a vague idea of how to go about it and will require incremental development that overcomes one challenge after another, with a whole heap of "well that will be difficult to solve when we get to it".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Phanatic posted:

In terms of energy per mass or energy per volume, the sun doesn't even measure up to a toaster.

On an energy per mass scale the sun doesn't even measure up to a particularly energetic compost pile.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is of course good for all of us

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

Comparisons to the manhattan project are also made kind of silly for a lot of other reasons, like that fusion bombs came along not long after by basically duct taping a hydrogen fuel source to a fission bomb, but there's no obvious equivalent for creating a stable fusion reactor

Hey now. A sufficiently large pressure vessel where you set off hydrogen bombs at regular intervals to create steam is a form of fusion reactor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Hey now. A sufficiently large pressure vessel where you set off hydrogen bombs at regular intervals to create steam is a form of fusion reactor.

True, but that engineering challenge is greater than any other type of fusion reactor currently being investigated

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

True, but that engineering challenge is greater than any other type of fusion reactor currently being investigated

Comedy option: "Fix" climate change by using a massive nuclear pulse propulsion system to adjust Earth's orbit a bit further from the sun. We'll figure out the calendar changes later.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It's really a good deal simpler!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Comedy option: "Fix" climate change by using a massive nuclear pulse propulsion system to adjust Earth's orbit a bit further from the sun. We'll figure out the calendar changes later.

Nah, just build a coolant loop around the equator, dump the heat into a large black rock, fire the rock into space, wait until it radiates the heat away (ideally towards a different planetary body), retrieve the rock. Repeat until planet reaches desired temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Metaphor's aren't literal comparisons.