Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He didn't technically die until like a day later at the hospital I thought?

Abner Assington posted:

He’d already lost like 90% of his blood by the time Watkins and co. got to him, so he was dead on the track within minutes.

I believe they tried to leave the official call of death to somewhere at the hospital instead of at the track. But the nature of the injuries and blood loss meant Senna was effectively gone immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He didn't technically die until like a day later at the hospital I thought?

They declared him dead at the hospital later because if it was at the track, they'd have to cancel the race.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
He lost 90% of his blood? Jesus. I thought the suspension basically just cracked his skull and the brain trauma killed him. You can't see any blood in the footage I've seen. Other than his head being slumped over he looks like he is ready to hop out of the car.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, IIRC his temporal artery was severed with all that head trauma and by the time folks were able to get to him to assist he’d lost a whole poo poo ton of blood and his brain stem had died.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Frond posted:

Andrea De Cesaris derangement syndrome is when an otherwise fast but accident prone driver is labelled “worst ever”.

De Cesaris was so awful, in fact, that his career lasted…14 seasons.

Dude died pretending the Grande Raccordo Anulare was a racetrack on his motorbike, misjudged where an exit was and hit the guardrail.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sab0921 posted:

The fire extinguisher the marshall was carrying killed the driver who hit him too - one of the wildest loving things I've ever seen - it was on some youtube compilation posted here earlier in the season.

I remember seeing that video years ago when I was like 15 and it messed me up for a while. That marshall just unravelled.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

He was a perfectly competent midfield driver. Also he won a race. I’m sorry he crashed or whatever but that doesn’t make him a terrible driver - although he’s among the least talented to actually win IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0HwMZCoVc

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Inspired by the lack of driving and other people going through old season I started the 2016 season on F1TV.

absolute joy in the first 2 races:

1) Ferrari's just catching fire. First race, Kimi's just completely blasting fire out of the air intake at the front and Kimi not giving a gently caress about getting out of it fast
2) Vettel's blowing up in the second race on the formation lap
3) Grosjean in the Haas in 6. and 5. in the first two races
4) Impossible to tell the Red Bull and Torro Rossos apart
5) Rosberg making GBS threads on Lewis - 17 point lead after 2 races
7) Crofty and Brundle already talking poo poo about the halo coming in 2017
6) The insane Nando and Guiterrez crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45fLUTHCuk

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also, Williams Martini livery <3

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think it's wrong to call Pasta competent. His outright speed wasn't bad, but competent suggests a level of control that he never had - it was only ever a matter of time before he ran out of talent and did something stupid (that normally involved crashing in to something or someone, possibly a marshal).

Talking of midfield just-competent drivers; remember when Eddie Irvine almost won the championship?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Update on my everyone keeps buying me air fryers and pressure cookers like they are collectable frogs situation: My nan bought me a new combi air fryer pressure cooker for Christmas.

check out this beast - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C873WR9?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

(I found someone to buy my elderly air fryer max for £40 so I'm still evens on number of air fryers owned but +1 on the pressure cookers)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Szafnauer out at Aston Martin

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1478687393486094338?s=20

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
awwwww Lawrence Stroll is such a shitbag. This is going to be why they brought in Martin Whitmarsh who was absolutely not going to be the new team principle, Otmar's position is safe and secure, safe and secure.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, real big Bond villain energy from Lawrence...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

Update on my everyone keeps buying me air fryers and pressure cookers like they are collectable frogs situation: My nan bought me a new combi air fryer pressure cooker for Christmas.

check out this beast - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C873WR9?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

(I found someone to buy my elderly air fryer max for £40 so I'm still evens on number of air fryers owned but +1 on the pressure cookers)

I might be in the market for one in april

Dang I really liked otmar

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

refleks posted:

Yeah, real big Bond villain energy from Lawrence...

Lawrence Stroll was the catalyst for moving regulatory control away from the sport's commercial arm (FOM) back to the FIA because he argued that it was a clear conflict of interest to have the sport's profit motivated body dictating how the sport's rules are written and applied.

He is literally one of the paddock's good guys.

e: moral relativism in a sport that seems to love racing in oppressive shitholes in the desert and inexplicably keeps Joe Saward in a job, whatever.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I often think that F1 awards way too many points these days so I often like to do an end of season exercise to see how older points systems would inherently improve formula 1. As such I'm please to announce the results of the

2021 Dot Commie's 1950s Formula One World Championship

Rules:

1. Points are awarded for the first 5 finishers who get 8, 6, 4, 3, and 2 points respectively.
2. 1 point is awarded for fastest lap regardless of where the driver finishes. This should encourage people with no hope of finishing in the top 5 to grenade their engine in pursuit of the fastest lap.
3. Only the drivers best 66% of races (15 for 2021) count towards their final score.
4. For the constructors championship all races count.
5. The Indy 500 counts as a world championship race again.
6. I have begrudgingly decided to follow the FIA's lead and awarded half points for Spa instead of discounting it.

So here are the results:

Max still wins the WDC, and actually by a bigger margin. The biggest changes are in the midfield where Lando comes in 5th and Sainz falls by two places to end up behind both Lando and Sharles. The addition of the Indy 500 means that Helio Castroneves finishes in 12th beating 10 of the "actual" 21 F1 drivers. By getting the fastest lap at indy Santino Ferrucci beats 6 of the 21 F1 drivers, which is hilarious. Aston Martin are entirely saved by Vettel who gets 9 points over the course of the season against Stroll's 0

I haven't bothered showing the 0 pointers because then potentially I have to add the entire Indy 500 grid and I have no interest in doing that. 0 pointers among our actual F1 group are Stroll, Kimi, Latifi, Gio, Mick, Mazepin, and Bobby Kubica. Kubica is obviously a bit of a fringe case but the rest are clearly certifiable bin men.

Also only Lewis and Max were hit by only 15 races counting as no one else scored points in more than 15 races. Max had the most points finishes with 21. Lewis got 20..

The biggest changes are in the constructors where Red Bull beats Mercedes to secure both championships. I have counted Pato's points in the Indy 500 towards McLaren's total because it's funny, but they still would have beaten Ferrari to third position by 0.5 points without this change. Otherwise the main differences are because of the Indy 500 which pushes Williams further down the standings and make it even more apparent that Alfa and Haas are a joke.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 5, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Talking of midfield just-competent drivers; remember when Eddie Irvine almost won the championship?

That was the year Schumacher broke his leg(s?) at Silverstone, but Steady Eddie stepped up and actually made it a Title Race against Häkkinen. This eventually led to the funny sight of Schumacher having to be Irvine’s wingman at Suzuka.

Remember who subbed for Schumacher that year? Mika Salo.

The other incredibly funny result of that year? Eddie Irvine winding up as the highest-paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The events of Hockenheim that year will never not amuse me (even if I do feel bad for Salo)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Otmar shouldn't have stepped on so many rakes.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Theophany posted:

Lawrence Stroll was the catalyst for moving regulatory control away from the sport's commercial arm (FOM) back to the FIA because he argued that it was a clear conflict of interest to have the sport's profit motivated body dictating how the sport's rules are written and applied.

He is literally one of the paddock's good guys.

e: moral relativism in a sport that seems to love racing in oppressive shitholes in the desert and inexplicably keeps Joe Saward in a job, whatever.

Think the way I described him as a fictional character exuding an "energy" was tongue-in-cheek and not an actual indictment of his character...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm glad Lawrence Stroll gave the FIA more power and that the sport isn't run with Netflix in mind.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I often think that F1 awards way too many points these days so I often like to do an end of season exercise to see how older points systems would inherently improve formula 1. As such I'm please to announce the results of the

This is really cool, and definitely funny to see the Indy 500 runners and teams added in and ranking above a number of full-time F1 teams.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

refleks posted:

Think the way I described him as a fictional character exuding an "energy" was tongue-in-cheek and not an actual indictment of his character...

I get extremely caremad when people bad mouth Lance Stroll (and by extension, Lawrence and Chloe). :hai:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Theophany posted:

I get extremely caremad when people bad mouth Lance Stroll (and by extension, Lawrence and Chloe). :hai:

Same but Papaya Bois

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

harperdc posted:

This is really cool, and definitely funny to see the Indy 500 runners and teams added in and ranking above a number of full-time F1 teams.

Thanks, I'm glad at least one person liked it because that makes my horrible brain worthwhile

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

refleks posted:

7) Crofty and Brundle already talking poo poo about the halo coming in 2017
6) The insane Nando and Guiterrez crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45fLUTHCuk
Have to say, onboard cams did look better without the halo taking up half the screen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Rules:

1. Points are awarded for the first 5 finishers who get 8, 6, 4, 3, and 2 points respectively.
2. 1 point is awarded for fastest lap regardless of where the driver finishes. This should encourage people with no hope of finishing in the top 5 to grenade their engine in pursuit of the fastest lap.
3. Only the drivers best 66% of races (15 for 2021) count towards their final score.
4. For the constructors championship all races count.
5. The Indy 500 counts as a world championship race again.
6. I have begrudgingly decided to follow the FIA's lead and awarded half points for Spa instead of discounting it.

So here are the results:

Max still wins the WDC, and actually by a bigger margin. The biggest changes are in the midfield where Lando comes in 5th and Sainz falls by two places to end up behind both Lando and Sharles. The addition of the Indy 500 means that Helio Castroneves finishes in 12th beating 10 of the "actual" 21 F1 drivers. By getting the fastest lap at indy Santino Ferrucci beats 6 of the 21 F1 drivers, which is hilarious. Aston Martin are entirely saved by Vettel who gets 9 points over the course of the season against Stroll's 0

I haven't bothered showing the 0 pointers because then potentially I have to add the entire Indy 500 grid and I have no interest in doing that. 0 pointers among our actual F1 group are Stroll, Kimi, Latifi, Gio, Mick, Mazepin, and Bobby Kubica. Kubica is obviously a bit of a fringe case but the rest are clearly certifiable bin men.

Also only Lewis and Max were hit by only 15 races counting as no one else scored points in more than 15 races. Max had the most points finishes with 21. Lewis got 20..

The biggest changes are in the constructors where Red Bull beats Mercedes to secure both championships. I have counted Pato's points in the Indy 500 towards McLaren's total because it's funny, but they still would have beaten Ferrari to third position by 0.5 points without this change. Otherwise the main differences are because of the Indy 500 which pushes Williams further down the standings and make it even more apparent that Alfa and Haas are a joke.
Big Reddit energy from this post

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

Have to say, onboard cams did look better without the halo taking up half the screen.

eh I don't feel like the halo takes up that much. Hopefully we have permanent helmet cam for all drivers soon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

refleks posted:

eh I don't feel like the halo takes up that much. Hopefully we have permanent helmet cam for all drivers soon.

The helmet cam needs major improvements. Right now it just reminds me of wearing a skullcap like this:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

they need to get more use out of that 360° cam on the nose it kicks rear end

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Otmar out is surprising in that it took so long.
The guy looked so loving uncomfortable each time he'd make an excuse for Lance.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
they should replace the bad drivers on the grid (Mazepin, Bottas, Verstappen) with robot camera cars

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm really really interested to see what the future of helmet cam will be since it provides such a better angle of the teams' proprietary dashboard and steering wheel readouts. Obviously the T-bar camera above the airbox gives a view, but it was honestly surprising how clearly visible Leclerc's wheel screen was during that race.

Khablam posted:

Otmar out is surprising in that it took so long.
The guy looked so loving uncomfortable each time he'd make an excuse for Lance.

I don't think Otmar is out for retirement yet, so it'll be interesting to see where he lands after the inevitable gardening leave.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

They have the Bell helmet cam, which is really tiny and lightweight, 2.5 grams I think, I expect they'll figure out how to mount that on the halo sooner or later.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
oh hey speaking of the halo, can someone explain to me why the main spar is dead center in the driver's field of view? Is that the only place it would be structurally strong enough or could there be two at say, 10 and 2 o'clock instead?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Block two areas of your field of view instead of one? Drivers don't spend the entire race looking dead center.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

oh hey speaking of the halo, can someone explain to me why the main spar is dead center in the driver's field of view? Is that the only place it would be structurally strong enough or could there be two at say, 10 and 2 o'clock instead?

I think it's due to the nature of the human eye and how it perceives things but that could just have been someone making excuses. although 10 and 2 would make it hard to see your tires

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

One of the criteria was simplicity, and I remember from the development that multiple designs came out, but the current one seems to be the simplest to integrate.

I think one of the main things to learn about the halo is that looking straight ahead isn't the biggest issue from a visibility standpoint - it's how the top of the halo impacted viewing the lights at the start. In one of the first tests at a race weekend back in 2016, Jenson Button didn't even have much bad to say about the visibility.

Compare that to an IndyCar with its aero screen - there weren't too many complaints about visibility upon introduction, and since it is more of a canopy, the issues were mostly with cooling and with the weight changing setup balances (some drivers have really struggled with that for the last few seasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

It's actually not really in the way for the drivers, because they're only looking directly ahead on the straights and they get a better view of the corners with no obstruction. The brain also does a pretty good job of cancelling out a static object that isn't important with how it processes binocular vision. I don't ever notice the frames of my glasses unless I am deliberately trying to, for instance.

It also serves to partially protect the head from things getting in under the halo, so it's good with things like going into a barrier. Obviously it can't do that in some cases, like a small cross sectional object coming in past it, but then no other position of spars would be effective in that regard either.