Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

I'm sure I don't need to explain class-based, although you could also play with a social role for magic-user types as well. Maybe wizards/sorcerors/whatever are an order of nobility, or presumed to be so, with the in-universe training pipeline providing cultural mores and imprints.

Clearly the reason why there are a lot of wizards in adventuring parties is because they're all broke college students who need to pay off their debt somehow. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danann posted:

Clearly the reason why there are a lot of wizards in adventuring parties is because they're all broke college students who need to pay off their debt somehow. :v:

This is the actual reason for PC wizards much of the time in Warhammer.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Being a wizard gets bloody expensive at higher levels too if your GM isn't ignoring spell cost

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

I hope this wasn't the case, given five of the buried were children aged less than seven.

its a joke about people making random bullshit up about people with no basis in anything wrt random dead people they find.

"This person lost their arm at 21 but lived till 43. The lost limb was likely because they offended a queen and they lived a quiet life of shame. They would have been chased by small children in the streets of sumer. Likely they would have been famous as "Johnny armless" and made a living as a sideshow attraction."
"These two women were found holding one another and were buried together. They were likely sisters or very good friends. They were clearly very ugly to have found no husbands, likely they would have been followed by hordes of jeering men and caused extreme projectile vomiting in anyone they made eye contact with. They were probably the original Gorgons."
"This man had a necklace. The only possible explanation for a man having jewelry is that he was a gay. Probably a wealthy and famous homosexual prostitute and people would have flocked from around the world to him."
"This neolithic man was found in a cave. The only possible explanation we have is that he was walled up Cask of Amontillado style. Likely for being a thief or an oathbreaker. He would have been shamed in elaborate ceremonies."

etc etc etc. This never seems to be things said by actual archaeologists, either by the way, just the coked out interns that run twitter accounts.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

One site holding 27 dead is evidence of an instance of mass murder, but if the social and economic structure of whatever groups were involved is unknown, the murders are bereft of context and all we can say for certain is that one time, for some reason, this happened; it cannot serve as evidence for the endemic (or universal!) prevalence of a social phenomenon.

Yeeeessss? That's what I say in the second paragraph of the post you are quoting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Puppy Time posted:

Yeeeessss? That's what I say in the second paragraph of the post you are quoting.

Way to bury the lede!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just gonna say since the terms might have been missed, that I was specifically talking about the paleolithic, distinct from the mesolithic and then neolithic eras that followed. The neolithic includes some significant State-level civilizations around the world.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

its a joke about people making random bullshit up about people with no basis in anything wrt random dead people they find.

"This person lost their arm at 21 but lived till 43. The lost limb was likely because they offended a queen and they lived a quiet life of shame. They would have been chased by small children in the streets of sumer. Likely they would have been famous as "Johnny armless" and made a living as a sideshow attraction."
"These two women were found holding one another and were buried together. They were likely sisters or very good friends. They were clearly very ugly to have found no husbands, likely they would have been followed by hordes of jeering men and caused extreme projectile vomiting in anyone they made eye contact with. They were probably the original Gorgons."
"This man had a necklace. The only possible explanation for a man having jewelry is that he was a gay. Probably a wealthy and famous homosexual prostitute and people would have flocked from around the world to him."
"This neolithic man was found in a cave. The only possible explanation we have is that he was walled up Cask of Amontillado style. Likely for being a thief or an oathbreaker. He would have been shamed in elaborate ceremonies."

etc etc etc. This never seems to be things said by actual archaeologists, either by the way, just the coked out interns that run twitter accounts.

where are they working that the interns can afford coke

pretty sure most interns these days are lucky if they have health insurance for antidepressants

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

admanb posted:

pretty sure most interns these days are lucky if they have health insurance for antidepressants

A lot about the medical field makes sense when you realise that the hours were set by cokeheads.

In general, we're expected to work cokehead hours without being paid enough to afford the coke.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

admanb posted:

the amazon archaelogical corp, a new division of Amazon

my boss is so caring, he got me addicted to adderall so I could stay up all night, now I can write these fun summaries of routine gravesites.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about the medical field makes sense when you realise that the hours were set by cokeheads.

In general, we're expected to work cokehead hours without being paid enough to afford the coke.

And then future doctors are like 'gently caress that, I had to work the cokehead hours, make the residents do it anyway so they can suffer as I did' even though other doctors and health authorities keep putting out 'no please, let them sleep, they learn better and work way better and less people end up with a scalpel stitched up inside them by a sleepy resident or some other wacky poo poo like that'.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Argh. It's the great anger of my life. My wife would have made an incredible dermatologist, and it's what she wanted to do, but she would have been a terrible medical student. Sorry, wrong thread.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

admanb posted:

There are two kinds of intern, the other kind is rich enough that they don't care that they're not being paid.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, I was reacting mostly to the article, which was pretty irresponsibly written in the broad conclusions offered; the comparison (in the article) to modern African ethnic conflict felt completely unwarranted and downright problematic.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 4, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

downright problematic.

He says with a username mocking the righteous and just authority of rome.

im joking

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I was reacting mostly to the article, which was pretty irresponsibly written in the broad conclusions offered; the comparison (in the article) to modern African ethnic conflict felt completely unwarranted and downright problematic.

I agree that article was utter horseshit. Like severely afflicted with all the worst tropes of "popular "science" article about serious academic subject" bad journalism. I've seen a lot of that in the journo interpretation of archaeology papers, in particular.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He says with a username mocking the righteous and just authority of rome.

im joking

I mean, the idea of Africa as this inhospitable cauldron of ineffable neverending ethnic conflict was used as an excuse for the continent's colonisation, and once colonial profit dwindled enough the same myth of human populations just inexplicably going to war was used as an excuse for interventions, or for non-intervention, depending on the need. The idea of Africa as a place where life is cheapp is foundational to all colonialism and imperialism.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
This looks badass. Any red flags from this crew?

HELL NIGHT, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavrielquiroga/hell-night?ref=android_project_share

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eastmabl posted:

This looks badass. Any red flags from this crew?

HELL NIGHT, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavrielquiroga/hell-night?ref=android_project_share

I've heard good things about Gavriel's game Neurocity but nothing about the man himself.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I mean, the idea of Africa as this inhospitable cauldron of ineffable neverending ethnic conflict was used as an excuse for the continent's colonisation, and once colonial profit dwindled enough the same myth of human populations just inexplicably going to war was used as an excuse for interventions, or for non-intervention, depending on the need. The idea of Africa as a place where life is cheapp is foundational to all colonialism and imperialism.

I don't really disagree with a single part of your post. In my experience, Hollywood movies (such as CONGO and Blood Diamond), my teachers in highschool and television shows all went "yep, black people: murdering each other in the jungles with AKs with child soldiers for no reason. What a shame. Nobody is to blame, that's just what Africans are like, lol"

Then I went to college and decided to study why that actually was and :stare:. So I agree. I was just having a laugh at your name, which is very clever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The trick always has been that life is cheap in Europe.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So GW is bringing out a "wargame as a service" idea from mobile games and releasing new rules and point values every 6 months. Has anyone ever did this before? Because I can't see it succeeding for more than a year.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Comstar posted:

So GW is bringing out a "wargame as a service" idea from mobile games and releasing new rules and point values every 6 months. Has anyone ever did this before? Because I can't see it succeeding for more than a year.

They’ve been doing balance updates yearly for a long time, which changed point values. The main change here is rotating mission packs with associated plot, and who knows how that’ll go.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

6 month point adjustments are fine imho. I'm more worried about them wanting to issue balance patches every 3 months, since this is too short of a time period to get any real data.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Comstar posted:

200+ bucks for 13 models.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Comstar posted:

Corvus Belli has been rejiggering points costs, mission sets and providing major rules updates relatively regularly for free for their entire existence.

Don't misunderstand me - CB is still a stupid company run by an idiot, but the thing GW is doing is very feasible as long as they feel like continuing to do it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

grassy gnoll posted:

Corvus Belli has been rejiggering points costs, mission sets and providing major rules updates relatively regularly for free for their entire existence.

Don't misunderstand me - CB is still a stupid company run by an idiot, but the thing GW is doing is very feasible as long as they feel like continuing to do it.

And I think it’s the “for free” that makes it remotely palatable. I still maintain that GW could still be profitable as a miniatures-only company with a Wahapedia-style rules site.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

I've heard good things about Gavriel's game Neurocity but nothing about the man himself.

I've backed it for the time being. I hope it doesn't turn into a David Guyll situation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've supported two of his past projects and they seem good and delivered promptly (although I haven't had a chance to actually look at them closely). Neurocity reads as interesting, but haven't had a chance to run or play it. If I hadn't stopped supporting Kickstarters I'd probably back this, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. I just found out that Satine "Herald of Compassion" Phoenix is running luxury cruises where you play D&D. That's... weird, right? Like just among we educated goons of the world, that's weird.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

Huh. I just found out that Satine "Herald of Compassion" Phoenix is running luxury cruises where you play D&D. That's... weird, right? Like just among we educated goons of the world, that's weird.

I'd say it's really weird and I don't see how anyone would feel safe being stuck in the middle of the ocean with her and her friends.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comstar posted:

It’s free so it’s not really an issue.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

I mean, doing anything with cruises during an ongoing pandemic is super weird.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dawgstar posted:

Not really? I mean I personally wouldn't go on a cruise now or probably ever again given *gestures hands wildly*. But there are wrestling cruises, and cruises for all sorts of other nonsense. There being one for D&D or tabletop isn't really surprising or weird.

The marginal difference between that and like those "we rented out a real castle to host a week long D&D event" or whatever is minimal.

Now whether or not you'd trust Satine as a host is a pretty fair question.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dawgstar posted:

Hobby centric cruises are pretty typical these days, yeah. There's a few board game ones as well.

But the folks at that company monetize every possible angle of the D&D world to the point that I can only think of them as grifters. It's also weird that a company with hundreds of thousands of dollars in Kickstarter revenue has a patreon?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dexo posted:

Not really? I mean I personally wouldn't go on a cruise now or probably ever again given *gestures hands wildly*. But there are wrestling cruises, and cruises for all sorts of other nonsense. There being one for D&D or tabletop isn't really surprising or weird.

The marginal difference between that and like those "we rented out a real castle to host a week long D&D event" or whatever is minimal.

Now whether or not you'd trust Satine as a host is a pretty fair question.

Yeah the pandemic is over to most of the world (whether or not cases reflect that). IIRC at least one of Satine's was delayed, but yeah plagueships of all sorts of flavors are sailing. I'm just glad most of the people I know are finally opting out of cons and stuff.
I understand some make their livings off of them, or the networking they do there, but it was still incredibly dangerous in 2021 and 2022 ain't looking any different.

Bottom Liner posted:

Hobby centric cruises are pretty typical these days, yeah. There's a few board game ones as well.

But the folks at that company monetize every possible angle of the D&D world to the point that I can only think of them as grifters. It's also weird that a company with hundreds of thousands of dollars in Kickstarter revenue has a patreon?

:capitalism: loving hasbro has a special site dedicated to their own inhouse kickstarter for toys. Like "unless we get x thousands of dollars from pre-orders we won't make this doll!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

Oh, I wasn't really saying the subject matter was weird, more the timing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Coolness Averted posted:

:capitalism: loving hasbro has a special site dedicated to their own inhouse kickstarter for toys. Like "unless we get x thousands of dollars from pre-orders we won't make this doll!"

Yeah, but that's just a preorder system for a product they're producing. Patreon is very different than KS/crowdfunded production runs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bottom Liner posted:

What Company? Satine's?

At least as far as like individually not particularly, depending on like what the purpose of the Patreon is, and what the rewards are and what not.

Kickstarters are usually to put together and design some product, Patreon is usually for supporting someone releasing constant ongoing things throughout a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, I wasn't really saying the subject matter was weird, more the timing.

Sure, but it doesn't particularly shock me, considering every single part of our society(least in the good ol US of A), is on that "open er up" kick, I even have to fight myself on that front from time to time.