Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Barreft posted:

you have good opinions.

e:

Gross, but expected.

hwat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr E posted:

I'm getting closer to the end of SMT 5 and still mostly loving it, but some of the last area miman, chests, and glory (not that I really need more glory at this point) are in some very annoying to figure out how to get to places. I feel like the "platforming" for the most part is fine but I think it could have decreased if they're also going to make monsters almost 10 levels below me chase me and annoy me.

use a repulse bell

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I know right? Why even put that in there, especially priced 10 times more than a radio, odd.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, in the opinion of the thread, Metroid Dread is as good as Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey?

better than both for me, but i'm a big time metroid liker.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm a huge Metroid fanboy and I'd rank BotW as the #1 game of all time but Dread is definitely up there, like in the top 15 at least.

It's definitely the #2 best Switch game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Stux posted:

use a repulse bell

I forgot those existed, will do that next time I play

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

So, in the opinion of the thread, Metroid Dread is as good as Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey?

It sets a new standard for the series while also respecting a lot of what made the previous entries good, so I'd say so, yeah.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All three are the peaks of their respective series, no question

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

don't wanna rock the boat here but i'm gonna say it

the switch? good

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Barreft posted:

I know right? Why even put that in there, especially priced 10 times more than a radio, odd.

:dafuq:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'll dissent

It's very good, but it's not that good.

I still think super is the best Metroid followed by prime 1 and THEN dread.

Again, it's very good, but those two games are phenomenal

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Other switch exclusives that are the peaks of their series:

Monster Hunter Rise

The Great Ace Attorney

Picross S6

Bayonetta 2

And many more!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I guess we could we could say... The switch is on

E: what else is on? Wizard of Legend, right after Children of Morta

E2: not exclusives but I refused to consider playing them on any other system because switch so good

Rodney The Yam II fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Your Computer posted:

don't wanna rock the boat here but i'm gonna say it

the switch? good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I guess we could we could say... The switch is on

E: what else is on? Wizard of Legend, right after Children of Morta

E2: not exclusives but I refused to consider playing them on any other system because switch so good

i just got wizard of legend because it was like £3.50 in the steam sale, it's a drat good game, though so far really hard. healing is very hard to come by.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Better because it's fun

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

b_d posted:

better than both for me, but i'm a big time metroid liker.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

There's a *lot* of platforming in SMTV's overworld. I'm lvl 40 and 15 hours in and haven't seen a dungeon yet I think?

:allears: Oh, this is just precious.

*Me, playing Etrian Odyssey: Weird, 20+ hours in and 10+ levels down, and I haven't seen a single dungeon so far*

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is Metroid Dread a good first Metroid to play?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Yes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, tho the gba and snes metroids are also good first intros

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Chas McGill posted:

I tried the demo first now I'm playing super on NSO to see if that style of game is compelling enough for me to beat it since it's supposed to be just as good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Metroid Dread is mostly amazing because the castlevania lords of shadow people made it and it actually turned out GOOD and not awful. It’s been a long time since a good rear end Metroid game. Lord knows it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

I tried the demo first now I'm playing super on NSO to see if that style of game is compelling enough for me to beat it since it's supposed to be just as good.
super metroid is a lot jankier, it has way worse movement and the worst possible item selection controls

but, y'know... nostalgia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

the peak of zelda is links awakening

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Your Computer posted:

super metroid is a lot jankier, it has way worse movement and the worst possible item selection controls

but, y'know... nostalgia

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone said it besides me. I went on a Metroid binge starting with the Prime Trilogy on the Wii U, then went through the 2D Metroids starting with Super and ending with Zero Mission. Super, while very good, I thought was the weakest of the three. Zero Mission is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it, and Dread blows all the rest of them out of the water so bad it's not even funny.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Your Computer posted:

but, y'know... nostalgia

I first played through Super Metroid as a not at a friend's house game on the Wii U. It's a good game, I found the screw jump really annoying to pull off and poorly explained in game how to use it. Once you get the movement down it's easy but I got really frustrated and had to watch a youtube video with someone showing me how to time it.

I may also have been drunk when I got the screw attack though.

Anyway game holds up and is a masterpiece, Dread is better though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stux posted:

the peak of zelda is links awakening

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i just got wizard of legend because it was like £3.50 in the steam sale, it's a drat good game, though so far really hard. healing is very hard to come by.

Yeah, its getting better as I unlock more relics and Arcana to make synergistic builds, ones that are either better at finding heals or better at avoiding damage

Also git gud etc

The game feel is like Hades for the SNES. My only big complaint is the camera in coop mode and the frikkin holes in the map

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
In SMTV can you have multiple of the same demon in your party or no? It's been a long time since I've played an SMT.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No. If you attempt to recruit another demon they'll just talk to each other like "yo take care of my boy", and it won't let you fuse a duplicate.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Silver Falcon posted:

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone said it besides me. I went on a Metroid binge starting with the Prime Trilogy on the Wii U, then went through the 2D Metroids starting with Super and ending with Zero Mission. Super, while very good, I thought was the weakest of the three. Zero Mission is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it, and Dread blows all the rest of them out of the water so bad it's not even funny.

imho Super would be the best if they remapped the controls for use with modern controllers. once you get used to how it controls it still whips absolute rear end

and Zero Mission would be the best if it were on the switch virtual console! it also whips absolute rear end, but i don't know how i'd play it nowadays beyond emulation

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Artix posted:

No. If you attempt to recruit another demon they'll just talk to each other like "yo take care of my boy", and it won't let you fuse a duplicate.

Just on that they'll always do that and maybe give you money if you chat to them so if you're looking to skip fights just recruit each of the demons you encounter in the area and you can skip battles.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

imho Super would be the best if they remapped the controls for use with modern controllers. once you get used to how it controls it still whips absolute rear end

and Zero Mission would be the best if it were on the switch virtual console! it also whips absolute rear end, but i don't know how i'd play it nowadays beyond emulation

I will agree to that. The controls were the most frustrating thing about it. I think I would still put Zero Mission ahead of it, but it'd be closer. Dread would still stomp all over them all, of course.

And yes I wish we had more Metroid on the Switch! Fusion and Zero Mission, both, let's goooooooooooooooo.

And while I did adore Dread, playing it just made me even more excited for Metroid Prime 4. C'moooooooooooooon I want it!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I fully agree that Dread plays better than any previous Metroid game, and looks very nice. The controls and interface is obviously much more modern.

The reason I still like Super and even OG Metroid so much though is the sense of lonely exploration. It's pretty unique even within the genre it's named for. As big and empty as Hollow Knight feels, for example, there are a lot of other people in there, signs of recent activity, etc. In Metroid and Super Metroid you were alone in some old (but still functional) ruins and caves and whatnot.

In Dread you never really feel alone for several reasons. The "ruins" don't seem ancient and mysterious, they are a working, staffed facility. The Chozo have been demystified. Finally, and I think most importantly, the map is dense but you feel pretty much railroaded from one point of interest to another. Not until the end (when you've already been everywhere important) can you just go where you want. There is no getting lost, which I get can be a benefit to some people, but it doesn't feel very Metroid to me.

It reminds me of the NES game Castlequest that has this gigantic world but had to be packed with a map because there was really only one route through the whole thing:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved the feeling of isolation in Metroid Prime. I've likely said it many times before but the first moment you step out into the phendrana drifts is magical.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I fully agree that Dread plays better than any previous Metroid game, and looks very nice. The controls and interface is obviously much more modern.

The reason I still like Super and even OG Metroid so much though is the sense of lonely exploration. It's pretty unique even within the genre it's named for. As big and empty as Hollow Knight feels, for example, there are a lot of other people in there, signs of recent activity, etc. In Metroid and Super Metroid you were alone in some old (but still functional) ruins and caves and whatnot.

In Dread you never really feel alone for several reasons. The "ruins" don't seem ancient and mysterious, they are a working, staffed facility. The Chozo have been demystified. Finally, and I think most importantly, the map is dense but you feel pretty much railroaded from one point of interest to another. Not until the end (when you've already been everywhere important) can you just go where you want. There is no getting lost, which I get can be a benefit to some people, but it doesn't feel very Metroid to me.

It reminds me of the NES game Castlequest that has this gigantic world but had to be packed with a map because there was really only one route through the whole thing:

I see a lot of people going on about getting railroaded from A to B a lot in Dread and never feeling lost.

Did we play the same game? :v: I never had any particular idea of where to go next in Dread. I just wandered around mashing my face into everything until I stumbled across the way forward, and I was constantly lost. However this is my default state in all video games.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I see a lot of people going on about getting railroaded from A to B a lot in Dread and never feeling lost.

Did we play the same game? :v: I never had any particular idea of where to go next in Dread. I just wandered around mashing my face into everything until I stumbled across the way forward, and I was constantly lost. However this is my default state in all video games.

This video gives a nice summary on how Metroid Dread guided people around without a lot of people noticing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pop-cc9kmY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Bloop posted:

you didnt explore enought hen because you can certainly get around and sequence break like super metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Metroid Dread is so good