Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Norwegian Rudo posted:

He wasn't poor, just not high status.

Welp looks like I have no choice but to watch the entirety of Cheers again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Anybody else love The Great on Hulu? Just finished season 2. Well acted, likeable characters, a comedy that is actually funny. I'm hot on it rn!!!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Welp looks like I have no choice but to watch the entirety of Cheers again!

He was a plumber, right? Certainly around here plumbers make very good money, but it's not exactly a glamourous job.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

loopsheloop posted:

Anybody else love The Great on Hulu? Just finished season 2. Well acted, likeable characters, a comedy that is actually funny. I'm hot on it rn!!!

It's really good. A few moments that are just too gross for me to watch, but I liked it other than that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I loving love The Great. I really like the social satire they did in the second season.

No news about a renewal though :3

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Great kicks rear end

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I preferred the first season, but yeah The Great rules

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Good Place is pretty fun so far, and also pretty silky. Silly. SILLY. loving autocorrect. But that's ok, I like that it's not super dark but not super saccharine either.

Also somehiw all the dead people are in their 30s lol. I guess people who survive longer go to the Bad Place instead.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 5, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reading that post and grinning. Please update as you go.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The second season of The Great has good moments but it's gotten way too cartoony wacky for my tastes. Just kill him already.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mobby_6kl posted:

Also somehiw all the dead people are in their 30s lol. I guess people who survive longer go to the Bad Place instead.
Also ludicrously photogenic. The Good Place: Not for uggos.

Shitposting on a comedy forum: -3pts

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, did people think The Good Place ended well? I haven't seen the last season yet and don't know if I should rush to see it or put it off until there's not much to watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought it ended fine. No loose ends or cliffhanger.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, did people think The Good Place ended well? I haven't seen the last season yet and don't know if I should rush to see it or put it off until there's not much to watch.

My impression is that the majority of people really liked it, it’s very lovely.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it had one of the best endings of a TV show ever.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Oasx posted:

My impression is that the majority of people really liked it, it’s very lovely.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I thought it had one of the best endings of a TV show ever.

It's both of these. Yeah there may be some minor divergent opinions and nitpicks, but ultimately it was great and treated all the characters really well. I cannot imagine anyone who was a fan of the show for 4 season watched the finale, and had anything less than a moderate thumbs up and that's at worst. Hearing someone who loved the show say "I hated the finale" honestly seems insane to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

It’s a good ending. I thought it was a little predictable (the finale specifically) but it’s still good. Overall though I think seasons 3 and 4 are a huge step down from 1 and 2, but I believe I’m in the minority there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a good ending. I thought it was a little predictable (the finale specifically) but it’s still good. Overall though I think seasons 3 and 4 are a huge step down from 1 and 2, but I believe I’m in the minority there.

:same:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, the only season of The Good Place I really liked was the first one. I thought there was some fun stuff in the other three seasons, but it was too nice and gentle for what it was about tbh, at least for me.

I need some bite in my comedy. Search Party, for example. But even something like Community does it for me more than The Good Place 2-4 did.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Cael posted:

It's both of these. Yeah there may be some minor divergent opinions and nitpicks, but ultimately it was great and treated all the characters really well. I cannot imagine anyone who was a fan of the show for 4 season watched the finale, and had anything less than a moderate thumbs up and that's at worst. Hearing someone who loved the show say "I hated the finale" honestly seems insane to me.

There were quite a few fans that were super upset because they saw the final episode of The Good Place as everyone choosing to step into a suicide machine. I personally loved the whole thing from beginning to end.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila25 posted:

There were quite a few fans that were super upset because they saw the final episode of The Good Place as everyone choosing to step into a suicide machine. I personally loved the whole thing from beginning to end.

I don't usually like to call out people for missing the point but WOW. I mean, did they skip the entire previous episode or something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Escobarbarian posted:

I think that lines up with most of the critical consensus at the time. That said, maybe the funniest moment in the history of the show took place in season 3 chidi's total breakdown after learning about Jeremy Bearimy

And the finale was lovely take it sleazy :unsmith:

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I’m on season 4 of a The Good Place rewatch and I think it maintains quality all the way through so far.

My first time through was the initial weekly run so it’s fun to watch it now straight through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first two seasons of The Good Place are the best, then it kind of tapers off. I don't know if it was intentional or not but the first season in particular reminded me of The Sims (and particularly, being a kid torturing The Sims). The finale was ok but the actual resolution they come up with seemed kind of half-assed. I think a big issue towards the end of the show is it runs out of things for half the cast to actually do, but it never really gets bad and mixes up enough it stays fun.

Davros1 posted:

It also aired on IFC

Guess I'm subbing then, my wife likes Portlandia anyway lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 5, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was in a real bad place when Good Place ended and I no longer had the person closest to me who I'd watch the show with, so I bawled like a loving child at the end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched The Good Place in the darker months at the beginning of the pandemic, and it was extremely cathartic. As soon as I finished the last episode, I put the first one on and watched it all the way through again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tequila25 posted:

Turns out the only good person was Tahani

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Davros1 posted:

It also aired on IFC

Are you sure you aren't thinking of "Year of the Rabbit"? I don't think Toast was ever on IFC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I will say this, The Good Place introduced me to Tiya Sircar, and she's loving lit. I can't believe she's been acting since 2005.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/wumbooty/status/1478193742075023365

Yeah...gently caress that rock!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't usually like to call out people for missing the point but WOW. I mean, did they skip the entire previous episode or something?

Part of the problem is that people have a hard time understanding what eternity is, that you can experience every single thing a billion times, and then still have forever left.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bull3964 posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking of "Year of the Rabbit"? I don't think Toast was ever on IFC.

No. I watched Toast On Demand. It may not have been IFC, but it was on some cable network, though I thought it was IFC. Maybe Sundance? But whatever it was, it was on cable.

edit: it was IFC

https://deadline.com/2018/09/ifc-picks-up-matt-berry-fronted-cult-british-comedy-toast-of-london-1202463297/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought the Good Place maintained its (high!) quality all the way through and had about the most perfect ending possible, absolutely love that show.

Goddamn, Elmo went off :xd:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite thing in the world is muppets just ranting off script.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good Place is my external rotation of lovely background sitcoms. I can't believe how much I went from hating the first season and rolling my eyes at the predictable end to it, but then giving season 2 a chance anyway and retroactively loving it all.

I saw Recently Archive 81 is getting a Netflix show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxKEqxARkE

The original is definitely worth a listen, hope they can pull it off in the show. First season II can think fairly straightforward to do, but season 2 poo poo gets wild and if the show does well enough to get there, some cool visuals in store.
http://www.archive81.com/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite thing in the world is muppets just ranting off script.

Yeah it's insane how in character they stay. I've always heard from live actors' interviews that they really start to interact with the puppets and stop noticing the puppeteers. Jim Henson did a muppet routine on the Tonight Show once, and it totally works even though Henson isn't doing any ventriloquism tricks or anything, Kermit is just that engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiNN3VeVyg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're just such good puppets and such good puppeteers that it all plays so naturally so you just forget what you're actually seeing and buy into the magic of it. Nothing makes me happier. And that's so obvious when you see those clips of the puppeteers just riffing or something and they never miss a beat or drop out of character

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Is it me or is Toast of London/Tinseltown like double the fever dream it used to be?

Edit - having watched a few more of Tinseltown... quadruple?

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 6, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://twitter.com/elmo/status/1478834653863755780?s=21

Elmo can hold a grudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Abbott Elementary is probably the best network comedy debut since TGP (note: they are absolutely not similar). It’s clearly very inspired by The Office: we get introduced to the MC’s long-term lazy, lovely bf in the second episode, so even though he’s played by Zack Fox he’s likely not gonna stick around very long. Also the boss is an awful incompetent person who is gonna provide a lot of the conflict, especially early on. The cast is great, the older teachers definitely have the right personalities and the actresses who play them are great, and the well-meaning progressive white guy who everyone thinks is annoying is also really funny. The main guy is Professional Sitcom Star Tyler James Williams and Quinta Brunson both stars and created and she’s hilarious too. Also it’s a sitcom set in Philly, which I feel like have a pretty high batting average.

Without Superstore we now have no good network workplace sitcoms airing and AE feels like it’s more likely to be successful than American Auto, which is less Superstore and more Better Off Ted, with maybe a little 30 Rock. And I don’t say Better Off Ted lightly, the pilot is about discovering their self-driving cars only see white people. The biggest downfall is that there aren’t any actors right now really looking to break out. The writing is fine but I feel like it could use a little more energy in the performance, even from Ana Gasteyer, who is generally brilliant but I feel like “corporate know-nothing” isn’t using her full powers to their limits. There’s also a Barenholz, but not the one you’re thinking of.

Third comedy premiere I watched was Grand Crew, which is just a black Friends but instead of a coffee shop they meet up at a wine bar. The cast is really good though, the headliners are Echo Kellum and Nicole Byer and Dan Goor has a producer credit. The two episodes I’ve seen are pretty funny, if you’re looking for a hangout sitcom it seems like it will be a good pick. Also Garrett Morris narrates the pilot? I don’t know if that’s gonna be a reoccurring thing (and he’s not one of the characters ala HIMYM just an observer).