Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Maria Dahvana Headley's contemporary-English version of Beowulf from 2020 translates "Hwæt" as "Bro!"

Funny picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Edit wow I was really been on this one nevermind

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ultrafilter posted:

The first few sentences of Beowulf in Old English:
My favorite part of this is how it's completely incomprehensible to modern readers and then you get to the end and it literally says "that was good king".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Busket Posket posted:

an OE translation of Hamlet could also start with the word hwæt

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My favorite part of this is how it's completely incomprehensible to modern readers and then you get to the end and it literally says "that was good king".

This is also what sex with me is like

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's possible to write Old English sentences that are comprehensible to modern readers, but it takes some care, and they have to be pretty simple sentences. The most famous example:

quote:

And ich secge thussum ga than he gaeth, and ich secge thissum cum thanna cumth he, and ich secge thissum do this and he daeth.
("famous" here being interpreted loosely.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Busket Posket posted:

Interestingly enough to 3 people on Earth, an OE translation of Hamlet could also start with the word hwæt, since it can be used as an interrogative pronoun and the first line of Hamlet is “Who’s there?”

Now I want to hear Lil John do Beowulf.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Chappelle’s Show had lasted another few seasons, this probably would have happened.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Here's a kinda neat diagram of how English has changed over the millennium using a fixed text. It's amazing how much more comprehensible Middle English is then old. I guess thats the Saxons injecting it with a lethal dose of French in 1066? Idk

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Beocrunk

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

projecthalaxy posted:

Here's a kinda neat diagram of how English has changed over the millennium using a fixed text. It's amazing how much more comprehensible Middle English is then old. I guess thats the Saxons injecting it with a lethal dose of French in 1066? Idk

Wasn't the Saxons doing that, but definitely.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'm not sure how Big Bill the Conqueror would take to being called a Saxon.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

Maria Dahvana Headley's contemporary-English version of Beowulf from 2020 translates "Hwæt" as "Bro!"

While "Bro!" is clearly a step in the right direction, and the Headley translation is an unalloyed delight, it's clear that the sensible modern translation of "Hwæt" is "Sup!"

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Busket Posket posted:

Interestingly enough to 3 people on Earth, an OE translation of Hamlet could also start with the word hwæt, since it can be used as an interrogative pronoun and the first line of Hamlet is “Who’s there?”

I thought hwaet was more like "listen!" or "hark!", or does it also mean what you said?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sally posted:

i'm not sure how Big Bill the Conqueror would take to being called a Saxon.

In my defense it's been a while since I had a history class and when i did it was in beautiful New Mexico, USA [48th in education] so I'm willing to accept only partial blame for mixing up saxons and normans

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaRBAT0TLs&hd=1

This guy's videos are a fun look at Old English.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Written Middle English is comprehensible-ish but the spoken version was still pretty far off from what we're used to. Check out this reading from the Canterbury tales for our best guess as to how it would've sounded.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
middle english looks and reads like norwenglish and it's loving me up

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hey for real tho

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

ultrafilter posted:

Written Middle English is comprehensible-ish but the spoken version was still pretty far off from what we're used to. Check out this reading from the Canterbury tales for our best guess as to how it would've sounded.

Me watching Holy Grail as a teen: "LOL k-nicts"
Me in college listening to my professor read Canterbury Tales: "Wait that's really it?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Your Computer posted:

Norman and old Norwegian had a baby that beat Germanic up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SAY YOHO posted:

Me watching Holy Grail as a teen: "LOL k-nicts"
Me in college listening to my professor read Canterbury Tales: "Wait that's really it?"

Holy grail was a documentary.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

rydiafan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaRBAT0TLs&hd=1

This guy's videos are a fun look at Old English.

As someone who speaks Icelandic (and is decently proficient in Scandinavian) I understood like 70% of that and could make educated guesses about the remainder.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Your Computer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

finally this picture is relevant

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Holy grail was a documentary.

Terry Jones did English at Oxford and was obsessed with medieval history and Old and Middle English, so would have known about the silent K being a modern invention - it would definitely have been pronounced that way in the dark ages. Not entirely sure how they'd have said anarchosyndicalist though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also related:

https://twitter.com/JustWantToGrill/status/1478044228664004608

If Harold had won at Hastings English would probably have ended up sounding something like Dutch, so it feels like the English-speaking world got lucky in 1066.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

shelley posted:

finally this picture is relevant

The most interesting thing to me, apart from the bit about the kip in the field, is that your version has the passages in the opposite order. I wonder what lesson this teaches.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

xposting

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also related:

If Harold had won at Hastings English would probably have ended up sounding something like Dutch, so it feels like the English-speaking world got lucky in 1066.

It would be more like Frisian, but yes it would likely also sound closer to Dutch. In fact, the sounds and prosody of Old English sound much closer to Dutch to me than to English (I'm a native Dutch speaker and Old English was on my curriculum at uni).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It would be more like Frisian, but yes it would likely also sound closer to Dutch. In fact, the sounds and prosody of Old English sound much closer to Dutch to me than to English (I'm a native Dutch speaker and Old English was on my curriculum at uni).

Maybe it's because all your professors spoke Old English with a thick Dutch accent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I follow a Dutch speaker on Twitter who usually tweets in English but every once in a while switches into Dutch, and it's always so disconcerting to see those tweets because it takes a few words before I realize that I have no idea what's being said.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

SAY YOHO posted:

I thought hwaet was more like "listen!" or "hark!", or does it also mean what you said?

It has like a half-dozen different meanings depending on context, and each one is debated by a dozen scholars. The interjective definition would fit Beowulf, while the interrogative pronoun definition would roughly fit Hamlet.

And because literary characters used to be described as ejaculating when they interjected, you could start either your Beowulf stage play or erotic fan fiction with: “Hwaet! [He ejaculated].”

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
First time I saw this, it took me about 10 seconds to realise it wasn't German

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Captain Splendid posted:

First time I saw this, it took me about 10 seconds to realise it wasn't German

Extra person in panel 3, not quite loss.jpg.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Extra person in panel 3, not quite loss.jpg.

darn those dover boys

i didn't realize but, yeah, it is a loss joke

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dan Backslide is such a good hokey villain name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also related: