Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

It also serves to partially protect the head from things getting in under the halo, so it's good with things like going into a barrier. Obviously it can't do that in some cases, like a small cross sectional object coming in past it, but then no other position of spars would be effective in that regard either.

This is a really good point, it puts the leading edge of the halo more so in front of where the driver's helmet is. that might not matter for incidents where something lands from on top, but it may have made a big difference for, say, Grosjean's accident in Bahrain, where the halo basically split the guardrails apart by itself. might have been a different matter if those edges were at 10 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
From the helmet cam it almost seemed like the middle was the best spot to put the halo support, because the drivers were usually looking at the sides. Either their mirrors, the sides of the track for braking points, or the apex of the turn. But yeah probably also safer.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9zSR6A9U_Y

I also really like this camera.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Big Reddit energy from this post

I called Kimi bad which Reddit people would never do.

I'm also going to do another one at some point to prove that Ricciardo is the most overrated driver on the grid. I don't have any data to support it yet but I know I'm right.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ilmucche posted:

I might be in the market for one in april

Dang I really liked otmar

It's using the both air fryer fan and the pressure cooker elements to get the pressure up twice as fast and my mind is blown.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Otmar Szafnauer is the second greatest American and his death will be avenged

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Otmar Szafnauer is the second greatest American and his death will be avenged

Colonel Harland Sanders is the greatest American, right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't think the halo would've saved massa from getting brained by a spring just by pure bad luck

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/djrookiebear/status/1478749346409689098?s=21

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I often think that F1 awards way too many points these days so I often like to do an end of season exercise to see how older points systems would inherently improve formula 1. As such I'm please to announce the results of the

2021 Dot Commie's 1950s Formula One World Championship
Good post bur shouldn't Mazepin have half a point for his fastest lap in Spa (lol).

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Theophany posted:

Colonel Harland Sanders is the greatest American, right?

Zak Brown mate...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

refleks posted:

Zak Brown mate...

:barf:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Exhibit a-z:

Fucker in Charge of you loving Fucks

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Zak Brown is the ideal American

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

Good post bur shouldn't Mazepin have half a point for his fastest lap in Spa (lol).

Spa points are offensive enough as it is, there is no way anyone is getting fastest lap points.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zak Brown is a good lad who means well

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Reminder that Zak Brown told Honda to go gently caress themselves, the engine supplier that just powered some anthropomorphic frog to a world drivers' title.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

It's actually very easy. If Zak Brown did something it was good.

Racism powered Max to the WDC...

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: otmar you seemed like a cool dude but idfk

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

refleks posted:

It's actually very easy. If Zak Brown did something it was good.

Racism powered Max to the WDC...

checo helped some too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIhJDFjE7Q

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hello I am dumb American, please stop giving us free engines Japanese engineering powerhouse.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Max is living his best life. He is wearing a hat that seems to just have boobs on it and being drunk as gently caress

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 5, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
What a loving boss

[edit] that looks like a Callaway driver, I retract my previous statement.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 5, 2022

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

Reminder that Zak Brown told Honda to go gently caress themselves, the engine supplier that just powered some anthropomorphic frog to a world drivers' title.

This is a very Babe Ruth 1918 take, Honda’s performance for literal years up to that point had been total poo poo and it took a lot of screwing around in a throw away team whose owners didn’t care about it (Toro Rosso) before Honda became viable. And then only Adrian The Great could have carried those engines to victory. What I’m saying is Zak is a good lad who means well and the greatest American and will soon join Toto among the ranks of the good winning team principals. After Lewis breaks MSC’s last standing record. #istandwithsirlewis

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

This is a very Babe Ruth 1918 take, Honda’s performance for literal years up to that point had been total poo poo and it took a lot of screwing around in a throw away team whose owners didn’t care about it (Toro Rosso) before Honda became viable. And then only Adrian The Great could have carried those engines to victory. What I’m saying is Zak is a good lad who means well and the greatest American and will soon join Toto among the ranks of the good winning team principals. After Lewis breaks MSC’s last standing record. #istandwithsirlewis

It should also be noted that Honda had to effectively clean sheet the engine 3 or 4 times and bring in turbine experts from the HondaJet before they ended up with a reliable engine. They then pulled out all of the stops and clean sheet designed it again to make the current one.

It's a pretty hot take to say McLaren couldn't see the forest for the trees when they told Honda to pound sand. They had multiple years of not being able to finish a race with Honda, and even after Honda went to TR it still took them another 3 years before they made anything competitive.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I called Kimi bad which Reddit people would never do.

I'm also going to do another one at some point to prove that Ricciardo is the most overrated driver on the grid. I don't have any data to support it yet but I know I'm right.

Keep fighting the good fight

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Finished Spain 2016.

Great race:

1) Hamilton ping-ponging himself and Rosberg out
2) Lauda just straight up telling reporters it was Hamilton's fault before the two are even back at the pit
2) Vettel, Kimi, Ricciardo and Verstappen fight at the top
4) Ricciardo having a puncture in the last laps after fighting back to the top
3) Didn't realize they demoted Kvyat after the first 5 races and promoted Verstappen to RB where he goes directly into a 1. place in his first race for them - that kid might become WDC one day.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I love it when the McLaren defenders log on.

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

#essereFerrari

My condolences.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Maldonado was just Verstappen with a touch less talent.

harperdc posted:

This is a really good point, it puts the leading edge of the halo more so in front of where the driver's helmet is. that might not matter for incidents where something lands from on top, but it may have made a big difference for, say, Grosjean's accident in Bahrain, where the halo basically split the guardrails apart by itself. might have been a different matter if those edges were at 10 and 2.

If you have the spurs at 10 and 2 it causes the thing it hits to fold into a point directly aimed at the middle of the drivers face.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
if we're rewriting Pastor Maldonado's illustrious career as a binman of the highest calibre then 1. i'm no longer able to understand where the gimmickposting ends and the earnestposting begins and 2. i'm upset we're doing him a disservice because he was better than any rule change in the last 70 years when it came to spicing up grand prix racing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

...and swapped it for the engine that won the constructors title without a controversial last lap decision

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Who cares.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

That was the year Schumacher broke his leg(s?) at Silverstone, but Steady Eddie stepped up and actually made it a Title Race against Häkkinen. This eventually led to the funny sight of Schumacher having to be Irvine’s wingman at Suzuka.

Remember who subbed for Schumacher that year? Mika Salo.

The other incredibly funny result of that year? Eddie Irvine winding up as the highest-paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

HHF had a fantastic year, and had an outside shot of winning.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

HHF is proof that psychology and mindset are like 80% of the secret sauce to a good driver.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

It should also be noted that Honda had to effectively clean sheet the engine 3 or 4 times and bring in turbine experts from the HondaJet before they ended up with a reliable engine. They then pulled out all of the stops and clean sheet designed it again to make the current one.

It's a pretty hot take to say McLaren couldn't see the forest for the trees when they told Honda to pound sand. They had multiple years of not being able to finish a race with Honda, and even after Honda went to TR it still took them another 3 years before they made anything competitive.

McLaren repeatedly said they had the best chassis and would be winning races any other engine. The 2018 happened and by the end of the year the MCL33 couldn't reliably make it out of Q3.

Uh, did you watch 2019-2020? Both the Honda powered teams were competitive, and the the Honda B-Team has as many wins as McLaren does from 2018-2021.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

...and swapped it for the engine that won the constructors title without a controversial last lap decision

No, he swapped it for the apparently 8000HP Renault. The Honda engine was better until Brazil of this year. The Mercedes engines also lost a ton of power as they aged - which cost McLaren 3rd in the CC.

McLaren look like idiots and will NEVER win another championship. :toxx:

PS. Remember the time McLaren was a works Mercedes-Benz team for 15 years and won one (1) CC? Frauds IMO.

Frond fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 6, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I sleep in a Honda racecar bed, too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think my favourite moment of 2020 was when Sainz (Great Driver) in the "best chassis" McLaren and supremely powerful Renault engine was unable to pull in Gasly at Monza in the GP2 engine car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

HHF is proof that psychology and mindset are like 80% of the secret sauce to a good driver.

He simply wasn't suited the the big teams. Watching 1995 and he's impressive in the Sauber.