Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I see a lot of people driving around with Jerry cans, I just figure it can't all be for fashion. But I mean, I see them on the streets here in the suburbs, not on the trails.

The longest one I've been on in Southern California is probably 20 miles or so, but there's a lot of gas stations close by.

Bolded the important parts.

Vampire Panties posted:

IMO there's really only three trails in the US west where you should really bring extra fuel - The aforementioned lake Pillsbury loop, the Mojave road trail, and the Rubicon.

The Mojave Trail was one I could think of where you might want extra fuel in the W US (at least for known long-distance offroad routes) . I carried 5gal extra once; when I went from gas-up in Trona to gas-up in Baker via Ballarat, Mengel Pass, Warm Springs Rd, Badwater Rd. in my old XJ. I did some napkin, worse-case calculations based on my yoyoing mpg and decided it was prudent.

150 miles of mixed pavement/4x4/sandy washes/rutty baby-head roads used exactly 10 gallons. Could have turned around and made it back without extra. Did plenty of side-road exploring too. The gas can I bought for that trip is on lawnmower duty now, and I am always amazed at the amount of Rotopax Bros heading out for Alice Springs from Los Angeles....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mantle posted:

Do you all carry fuel in your cabin? My car only has around 400km hwy range but no way to carry fuel outside of the car unless I get a custom hitch fabricated or roof racks and a basket.

I will admit that half the reason I carry fuel is because my TJ came set up with a fuel can mount already. Used a cheap steel can at first, but when that got stolen I swapped that for a Rotopax since that's quicker to unmount and not carry when I'm not on the trail. I also set it up so that I have two 2.5 gallon cans, one for gas and one for water, which does actually get used on a regular basis.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How worth it is it to get a "snorkel" for my rear differential? I don't plan on mud bogging or anything like that but who the gently caress knows how deep some puddles are on back/logging roads for example?

Did I just answer my own question?

Should I get one for the front too for the same reasons?

'21 Tacoma

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Diff breathers are worth it, they're pretty cheap and easy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I kinda figured but wanted some other opinions from "internet people that I know" before putting it on my list of things to do. I've looked around a bit and they seem pretty cheap, but I'm tempted to make my own just because gently caress it why not?

So I should make or buy one for both diffs?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dunno about making your own mate. I always just bought the fleabay kits with the right fittings for the car and a pile of hose. But if you can buy the right fittings individually for cheaper or it's more satisfying, why not?

Have you checked what's there already? Some will come with decent breathers from the factory, but we don't have Tacomas here so nfi. Also if you're gunna upgrade the suspension later on, give yourself extra slack in the rear. After putting in long travel stuff in my ute the rear diff breather pulls out and it's one of those lovely jobs that just sits on the todo list for yonks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dumb question, but why do diffs need to breathe? Does the air in there just need somewhere to expand when it gets hot?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

Dumb question, but why do diffs need to breathe? Does the air in there just need somewhere to expand when it gets hot?

More or less yeah.
Heat and cold will suck air in and push it out.

ili posted:

Dunno about making your own mate. I always just bought the fleabay kits with the right fittings for the car and a pile of hose. But if you can buy the right fittings individually for cheaper or it's more satisfying, why not?

Have you checked what's there already? Some will come with decent breathers from the factory, but we don't have Tacomas here so nfi. Also if you're gunna upgrade the suspension later on, give yourself extra slack in the rear. After putting in long travel stuff in my ute the rear diff breather pulls out and it's one of those lovely jobs that just sits on the todo list for yonks.

Yeah I've seen them for fairly cheap and could probably buy one for iess than making my own, but really they just look like I could use a threaded Barb fitting in the diff, a length of tube and I get another Barb fitting screwed to the factory breather at the other end, placed strategically somewhere that it's high enough to stay away from all but the most catastrophic water levels. I've seen some placed behind tail lights, fuel filter doors etc...

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

wesleywillis posted:

More or less yeah.
Heat and cold will suck air in and push it out.

Ok, a follow-up dumb question but why is it bad if it doesn't vent?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

It will blow out the seals. Air and vapors from the gear oil expand and contract as the differential heats up under use and cools down otherwise.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Pressurises the diff housing and can gently caress your axle seals.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This is relatively high on my to-do list for my Taco. Its simple to run a bunch of tube wherever and 1000% worth it to keep the gear oil dry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be clear, all axles have some form of factory vent. The question here is how far up does it go and how protected is the other end of that vent. The one on my C10 barely goes up to the bed and is just an uncapped hose; the vents on my TJ both have a plastic breather, one jammed up against the fuel tank and the other all the way up in the engine bay.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If your venting under the hood, just make sure it’s on the opposite side to the air intake in the cabin. I terminated the gearbox, transfer and diff breathers to a common filter block in front of the passenger side of the engine bay and it’s on the same side as the cab air intake, so when I’m working it hard off-road and everything is warming up it starts to smell quite diff oily in the cab

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm kinda surprised that my Chevy has them - front goes up near the fuse box in the engine bay, and rear goes up near the fuel filler cap. And they're valved.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

If your venting under the hood, just make sure it’s on the opposite side to the air intake in the cabin. I terminated the gearbox, transfer and diff breathers to a common filter block in front of the passenger side of the engine bay and it’s on the same side as the cab air intake, so when I’m working it hard off-road and everything is warming up it starts to smell quite diff oily in the cab

In the case of my TJ, "environmental sealing" is such a joke that it doesn't matter where anything vents, I'll smell it.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm kinda surprised that my Chevy has them - front goes up near the fuse box in the engine bay, and rear goes up near the fuel filler cap. And they're valved.

Now I'm curious on whether that's a Z71/ZR2 only thing, or if they put that vent up high on 2WD trims too. Either way they get credit for a loving drain plug on the diff (at least up through 2018).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They shouldn't be valved, they might have little bobble caps over them to keep trash from falling down the line though.

They are important because it does not take much to suck water in past the seals. Small amounts of air from thermal changes will burp out of them pretty easily when they get hot without blowing out the seal, but if you get the diff hot and then submerge it in a stream while crossing, the air inside will contract and suck in water past the seals if you don't have a vent.

If you have an air locker and the seals go in the air application collar so you're blowing a bunch of air into your diff housing until you fix it, it absolutely can blow out the seals if not correctly vented.

Just run the vent tubes as high as you can in the engine compartment (away from the HVAC intake as noted) and put dust caps on em. I get mine at the junkyard usually. Ideally you want to vent tube both diffs, the tcase, and the transmission. The engine has a pcv system of its own so no need there.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I've seen guys vent them into the airbox too, so then theoretically the top of the vent tube is the top of the snorkel and if that's underwater you've got bigger problems than diff breathers. Never tried it myself though. Might be worth a go at some point cos we occasionally get water up over the bonnet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like that idea. I've never had a snorkel on my heaps so it didn't even occur to me.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009
I installed these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3C77HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't gotten the chance to put them to the test off road yet, but they were easy to install and seemed to be good quality.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm glad to hear the answer for snow is usually "don't air down" because I'm lazy and that sounds like effort.

wesleywillis posted:

E: What type of surfaces are you expecting to drive on? Are you just going skiing or some poo poo, or are you planning in driving across a field?

Just visiting family in Tahoe so whatever conditions one might encounter up there but wasn't planning on offroading in the snow. I know it's been crazy up there and my dad was saying it was going to be a bit of a journey to get to a friend's house a few miles away, but he's not a car guy nor a driving guy so I couldn't get out of him whether he has proper snow tires on his Subaru or not. My assumption is no which may explain some of the issues getting around.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm glad to hear the answer for snow is usually "don't air down" because I'm lazy and that sounds like effort.

Just visiting family in Tahoe so whatever conditions one might encounter up there but wasn't planning on offroading in the snow. I know it's been crazy up there and my dad was saying it was going to be a bit of a journey to get to a friend's house a few miles away, but he's not a car guy nor a driving guy so I couldn't get out of him whether he has proper snow tires on his Subaru or not. My assumption is no which may explain some of the issues getting around.

If you're visiting family in Tahoe, in a GX, with snow tires (or even all-terrains or all-seasons), driving on pavement, you'll be almost certainly fine, unless it happens to be in the middle of another historic snowstorm, in which case you'll still probably be fine if you have chains. I drive around here without concerns in a 4x4 F150 with KO2s, and an RS4 with blizzaks.

I did have to use 4 low and lockers yesterday when we got to a trailhead at a deadend on a steep hill that had no available parking spaces and we had to dig one out for ourselves though.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

RE: Diff breather chat
You can get breathers with Goretex membranes, some Land Rover part number. Has a hose barb on one end. I'm not sure and it's been a while, but I think the madmen put it in the cab as part of a central manifold. Hopefully the membrane prevents fumes from getting out ?????

Edit: It's been 5 years or so since I read about this. I guess people were putting manifolds in as a cool "Fix and upgrade!!!!!!" The part is not quite the same as I remember, LR019450 is what I just looked up. I remembered one with more of a canister with a mounting ear and a hose barb, but it could just be poor memory.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 5, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any good trails near Calico Ghost Town, or in the Barstow, CA area? My parents are flying out this weekend and they're renting a Jeep. They want to go exploring and seem interested in ghost towns, but not trying to drive too far. Otherwise we are probably going to Anza Borrego. Both places are about 2+ hours or so from my house.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Any good trails near Calico Ghost Town, or in the Barstow, CA area? My parents are flying out this weekend and they're renting a Jeep. They want to go exploring and seem interested in ghost towns, but not trying to drive too far. Otherwise we are probably going to Anza Borrego. Both places are about 2+ hours or so from my house.

I think Calico is your best option for ghost town kinda stuff. What's their offroading skill level? Will you be with them, 2nd vehicle, etc? I've done a shitload of offroading around Barstow (oddly enough never Calico, so I can't help there) and there is lots of cool things to see. I could suggest places with cool old mining areas, petroglyphs, dry lakes to smash around on, you name it but I don't wanna overestimate abilities or available time. There's a billion roads marked and unmarked, I've taken many wrong turns out there. A GPS app is essentially required.

I can safely suggest Rainbow Basin Natural Area (pin for turnoff)as a neat spot to go check out. I wouldn't call it a trail or really offroading as it's graded dirt, but it's a very cool geological feature and you're out there a bit. There's an adjacent minimal campground if you're into that.

edit: if you look to the northeast on that satellite pin map I linked, you can see the Randsburg Barstow / Copper City Road going north towards Fort Irwin. If you take that up there's tons of little side roads, old mines, and other stuff to cruise around checking out and testing whatever Jeep they have on some milder stuff (this voids the rental agreement! :cheeky: ) . It's almost all BLM land out there so you can explore, just use common sense if you see a structure and avoid it. Eventually you'll hit the Ft. Irwin gate and either have to turn around or continue further west. It's all pretty close to Calico so if you got an early start you could make a pretty full day of it. Distances are real deceiving out there.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 7, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Found myself a pair of traction boards at Goodwill today for $13. Now If I could find an accordingly priced low profile rack to strap them to.

Honestly, they’re just gonna get thrown in my box for snow season and then dropped at my buddy’s shop for Gambler use. Regardless I’d appreciate any heads up on a well priced full length rack for a 3rd Gen 4Runner.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

A rental? Then you should definitely take your parents through the Calico gatekeeper https://youtu.be/TgSk6dydlpo?t=77

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

if you see a structure and avoid it

I'm assuming you mean secret weed farms

tuna posted:

A rental? Then you should definitely take your parents through the Calico gatekeeper https://youtu.be/TgSk6dydlpo?t=77

Lol. It's on all seasons, should be perfect.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I'm assuming you mean secret weed farms

Hinkley is only a few washboarded miles to the west of Rainbow Basin if you want to cruise past some grows at a casual speed while visiting a living ghost town. You may get stuck behind a filthy white box truck with blank walls that's driving 10mph but just keep cool and try not to look like you're there.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Commodore_64 posted:

You can get breathers with Goretex membranes, some Land Rover part number. Has a hose barb on one end. I'm not sure and it's been a while, but I think the madmen put it in the cab as part of a central manifold. Hopefully the membrane prevents fumes from getting out ?????

This sounds like planned obsolesce using goretex.

Ignorant Jeep owner here, do Toyota diffs not vent up high?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Commodore_64 posted:

Hopefully the membrane prevents fumes from getting out ?????

Isn't the whole point of goretex and similar membranes to stop water while still letting vapor (which my uneducated self would assume also means fumes) pass through?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

giundy posted:

This sounds like planned obsolesce using goretex.

Ignorant Jeep owner here, do Toyota diffs not vent up high?

Yes and no. I think most year Tacomas vent the rear diff up to the top of the frame inside the bed, which google says is 18" above the rear axle? I think JKUs are a similar height actually

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Never made it to Calico, we ended up going to Joshua Tree for the day instead. We tried out Geology Tour road, which they recommend "high clearance 4WD." It was one of the nicest dirt roads I've been on. No clearance or any amount of drive needed. Washboarding was particularly intense, however.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Jackass Canyon, Mojave National Preserve

Carrizo Plain National Monument

Full trip post.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I have a ton of 5 and 2.5 Gallon MFC's for diesel/gas and water. In the H1 I carry.. like 1 water and 1 diesel and the diesel is just .. well just to top up to avoid high diesel prices in remote areas. Someone mentioned the Humvee range and I got.. like 45 gallon capacity across 2 tanks, which I keep topped up.. except for the rear Aux tank, that one I burn down first if I'm going on any super steep off road hills because if its topped up it'll leak diesel at max slope angles. I've used water to help people with overheated engines in the mountains, that was more important than fuel in my experience.

That being said the Scepter MFC's are my favorite cans, when i was in Canada I picked up a ton at princess auto and brought them down on a road trip for my friends along the west coast. I have 2.5 gallons Scepters for gas for my car, great, they don't leak but they aren't CARB approved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm a big fan of the nospill brand cans. They are carb approved (though it doesn't matter to me) and easy to fill equipment with without spilling but don't have the stupid loving levers and rotating collars and other bullshit most EPA or carb approved cans do. A little more expensive than the crappy cans but totally worth it. TSC has them on the shelf.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Made it out to Anza-Borrego / Canyon Sin Nombre. Extremely tame but a great day. Didn't catch a pic of the blackhawk doing canyon runs 20 feet (!!!) overhead

Weird loud trees

Jawa shot

big ole cliffies

Favorite part of the trip wasn't pictured - As I pulled into a large flat wash, I came across a group of jeeps and other straight axled vehicles mallcrawling their way through the washboards. I smiled and waved and waited for them to pass, and then I cruised up it going 50 :getin:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Never made it to Calico, we ended up going to Joshua Tree for the day instead. We tried out Geology Tour road, which they recommend "high clearance 4WD." It was one of the nicest dirt roads I've been on. No clearance or any amount of drive needed. Washboarding was particularly intense, however.

Yeah, Geology Tour is a nice little road for folks in subarus and poo poo. NPS road descriptions are often over rated, but then sometimes they're not so :iiam: Berdoo Canyon goes out the southern end of the loop, and has one or two fun obstacles for a rental jeep if you ever find yourself there again. It's also a good route to get into the park for free if you're just doing a day cruise and not camping at a site or parking at trailheads etc.

Old Dale Road on the north side of Joshua Tree is a cool moderate 4x4 route, and there's an alternate route I found accidentally that's not really marked that was badass, crawly, and narrow as poo poo at points. Found a legit active prospector mine out there, and had to watch where I backed up due to deep pit shafts. Made it through with my old XJ and a stock Tacoma 4x4 TRD, but we had to take it slow through a few narrow boulder parts to avoid body damage.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I might have bought something today 😬

86 FJ60. Pretty sweet. Just rolled over 320k miles, had a complete engine rebuild a bit ago so it should be good for another 300k. Theres some small rust on the panels but none on the frame, might just have the whole thing sandblasted and repainted / sealed. Think I need to pick up the H55F to drop in because it was screaming at 65mph. Probably going to get a small 2.5” lift and some rockers / plates for protection, already came with arb front and rear lockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Tenchrono posted:

I might have bought something today 😬

86 FJ60. Pretty sweet. Just rolled over 320k miles, had a complete engine rebuild a bit ago so it should be good for another 300k. Theres some small rust on the panels but none on the frame, might just have the whole thing sandblasted and repainted / sealed. Think I need to pick up the H55F to drop in because it was screaming at 65mph. Probably going to get a small 2.5” lift and some rockers / plates for protection, already came with arb front and rear lockers.

beautiful! I'd love to have one of those.