Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Color revolution, time to start up the tonks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's amazing how many tinpot government step on the fuel subsidies rakes. IMO it's a good thing to do but you'd think by now they'd realize that the changes have to be phases in gradually and not doubling prices overnight.

Dwesa posted:

That escalated quickly.

Not so much for Kazakhs. They're probably not very happy in Moscow about their neighbor dictator being overthrown seemingly overnight and images of people beating policemen.

Edit: ah right, not dictator, just resignation of government, but still
Not for the Kazakhs, no. For Ukrainians, a little.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's a lot of gunfire in that third video.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

aphid_licker posted:

Color revolution, time to start up the tonks

It depends. Color revolution might not be anti-Russian. See armenia for example.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What’s that Mad Max SUV-powered portable wall rig?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 5, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
How does a petrostate run out of fuel subsidies anyway. Just dig more of it out of the ground.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The russosphere is doing great lately (or ever)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What’s that Mad Max SUV-powered portable wall rig?

A bunch of these have been coming out lately, p ominous

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/news/a27989/kalashnikov-shchit-shield-anti-riot-vehicle/

E: this was just the first link I found, not meaning to imply that this is an EE only development

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

A bunch of these have been coming out lately, p ominous

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/news/a27989/kalashnikov-shchit-shield-anti-riot-vehicle/

E: this was just the first link I found, not meaning to imply that this is an EE only development

Oh, those I’ve seen plenty. The SUV thing on video is much smaller and looks like something you could weld with pals over a weekend, for a laugh.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1478694849440358400?s=20

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Quite a difference to the months long hundred thousand strong protests in Belarus

https://mobile.twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1478698552834637825

No anarchists what are you doing
https://mobile.twitter.com/taxfreelt/status/1478698330150612997

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Gotta say, I like their style:

https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1478656252670578688

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President’s residence appears to have fallen.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/_ZhN_/status/1478678087852122114

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 5, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How dare the CIA act against the will of the people of Kazakhstan like this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

How dare the CIA act against the will of the people of Kazakhstan like this

I have seen this take twice or thrice today, without a hint of irony. NATO has failed to destabilise noble Belarus, and has moved on to try to destabilise a different brotherly nation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have seen this take twice or thrice today, without a hint of irony. NATO has failed to destabilise noble Belarus, and has moved on to try to destabilise a different brotherly nation.
Regional internet bubbles are funny, what can I say :smug:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/_ZhN_/status/1478678087852122114

But are there any leaders at this point? I've seen like ten different lists of demands.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

But are there any leaders at this point? I've seen like ten different lists of demands.

Not that I know of. How different have been the lists which you've seen?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

It depends. Color revolution might not be anti-Russian. See armenia for example.

These "protesters" could be the Russian agents, now that I think about it :thunk:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

These "protesters" could be the Russian agents, now that I think about it :thunk:

You joke but there was a bit of concern that Putin would use Belarus unrest to make a move and install someone more consistently loyal than Lukashenko. Just because these old autocrats have lasting relationships with Putin doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from their removal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

What if they are double agents working for both Russia and CIA? Mossad triple agents even? Triple pay!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not that I know of. How different have been the lists which you've seen?

Some focused on purely economical issues, some demanded transfer of power to Tokaev, some demanded Tokaev to resign, some want free local elections. Nexta even posted a list that included Ukrainian style decommunisation, which is weird because Kazakhstan is not big on the great Soviet past to begin with.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Edit:
"coming to power a not a person in the system."

Tokayev in fake mustache and hawaiian shirt: Hello fellow citizens!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Some focused on purely economical issues, some demanded transfer of power to Tokaev, some demanded Tokaev to resign, some want free local elections. Nexta even posted a list that included Ukrainian style decommunisation, which is weird because Kazakhstan is not big on the great Soviet past to begin with.

Okay that’s really all over the place.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Okay that’s really all over the place.

I mean for mass protests that's not particular rare.

Often easy to get just a whole lot of people who know the current situation is failing, but far, far harder to get them to agree on what exactly to do about it outside of a broad "change the current system."

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1478761460415270923?s=21
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1478760857077268486?s=20

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn that was fast. Feels like it was just this morning that I read about some riots over there ... which it was. No wonder Putin is so paranoid about any kind of protest movement.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This is what distracts Putin long enough from committing to a Ukrainian invasion. My two cents.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

You joke but there was a bit of concern that Putin would use Belarus unrest to make a move and install someone more consistently loyal than Lukashenko. Just because these old autocrats have lasting relationships with Putin doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from their removal.

Yeah I mean that's not even much of a joke, they could either want what the protestors want, or to use it as an excuse:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Holy poo poo guys Russia distracted us with Ukraine so they could secure northern Kazakhstan. Which will be called...

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Holy poo poo guys Russia distracted us with Ukraine so they could secure northern Kazakhstan. Which will be called...

East Ossetia

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Whorelord posted:

East Ossetia

Baja Omsk

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sorry to get your hopes up, but Putin thinks this is fine:

quote:

Russia has said that Kazakhstan could solve its own problems and it was important that no one interfered from the outside. Kazakhstan had not requested Russian help to deal with protests, triggered by a fuel price increase, that prompted the resignation of its government, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov has said on Wednesday.

Russia's foreign ministry said it was closely monitoring the situation in its southern neighbour and counting on the "soonest possible normalisation". "We advocate the peaceful resolution of all problems within the constitutional and legal framework and dialogue, rather than through street riots and the violation of laws," it said.

It said this was precisely the aim of the steps taken by Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev "to stabilise the situation and resolve existing problems quickly, including those contained in the legitimate demands of the protesters." This appeared to refer to Tokayev's decision to reverse the New Year fuel price increase that first triggered protests in the west of the country. The Russian statement used more cautious language than Tokayev, who has blamed the violence on domestic and foreign provocateurs.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Has the FSB party plane landed in Astana yet?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Has the FSB party plane landed in Astana yet?

I’ve only seen some evidence of a flock of business jets leaving it yesterday. Also, that’s Nur-Sultan for you!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/mighty_shield/status/1478788599273435145

I won't turn this into my twitter timeline but this is too good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Has arstotzka setup barricaded to protect it from kazak loyalists yet

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, those I’ve seen plenty. The SUV thing on video is much smaller and looks like something you could weld with pals over a weekend, for a laugh.

You could do worse if what you needed was a mobile barricade. The British made successful use of armored Land Rover trucks modified like how you describe.

The idea is that a mobile barricade doesn't trap the police behind cover. This should make it far easier to retreat or disengage, while giving them a big enough vehicle to remove obstacles on the advance. Also, they make a larger target than a line of people. That works going both directions.

Like with all crowd control tools theory falls apart fairly quickly, absent strict discipline and forward deployed command elements. Give these things to a group with no intention of using them correctly and they may as well have APCs.

This highlights a longstanding problem in international arms control: police equipment is generally far less regulated than out-and-out military equipment, regardless of their similarity. In places with a wavy line, or no line at all, between the military and police they may as well be the same thing.

Witness the overnight creation of "anti-terrorism" police units across the world. These units have broad authority in acquisition of foreign arms, vehicles, and training, sometimes being better equipped and trained than the military. They get caught but only after using their new, shiny toys to crack heads on video. The only thing that seems to slow this down is government condemnation of the companies who sell this stuff. US and Russian companies are nearly exempt from that constraint. Even the Euros (Belgium, France, and Germany) resist reigning in their arms manufacturers.

Speaking of APCs...

I have seen video of attemped ramming of civilian barricades by Kazakh BTR-70/80s. Don't know who was operating them (mil or police), but they got lit the gently caress up with molotovs. Like, kill the motor, hit the extinquishers, and hope you can sit it out, lit up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1478798827775741957

*taps forehead* Russia can't invade if we invite their troops in first

not sure if it was mentioned here yet, but Tokayev (apparently unilaterally?) just kicked Nazarbayev out of his lifetime seat on the security council, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1478798827775741957

*taps forehead* Russia can't invade if we invite their troops in first

not sure if it was mentioned here yet, but Tokayev (apparently unilaterally?) just kicked Nazarbayev out of his lifetime seat on the security council, nbd

No one hasn’t, that’s actually massive news. Now this looks like Tokayev taking over - kick Nazarbayev out, invite Russian spooks to clear house of his loyalists, and have some civic activism leaders trip over a glass table while playing Skyrim VR.