Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Did anyone Free Tim Kaine yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

getting stuck on a frozen interstate in the south sounds like it would make a good fiction story. like a mix of The Mist and The Road with some Stephen king spookiness sprinkled in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Did anyone Free Tim Kaine yet?

hillary made sure his schedule was free through 2024

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Luneshot posted:

I also grew up in NE Ohio (but moved away several years ago). For the couple weeks that I come back every year (usually in winter), the difference is staggering compared to my childhood memories of what winter was like. Way more rain, way less snow.

Its incredibly concerning for me right now. I'm a lifer here, and I cannot remember a year where the ground stayed this saturated, muddy dirt instead of hardening up due to cold and snow and ice. Not a neighborhood with a history of flooding either! Its unnerving. I dont like it.

I miss the Jet Stream :( -- its like Seasonal Affective Disorder, but in reverse.

e: 500 pages of WEATHERDAMMERÜNG

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Jan 5, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

actionjackson posted:

lol Tim Kaine is stuck in it

Dude went out at the height of the storm after every communication device in the dmv had been saying "stay home fuckers" for nearly 24 hours, it's amazing.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

Dude went out at the height of the storm after every communication device in the dmv had been saying "stay home fuckers" for nearly 24 hours, it's amazing.

my president

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

when you think about it that's just everybody else's fault

if the peasants had just done as their betters told them he wouldn't have been inconvenienced

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm the main character, nothing bad will happen to me

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Relevant Tangent posted:

To be fair it was mostly over when he left.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Epic High Five posted:

It's never a good idea to try to test or challenge game wardens

where do you live that you run into game wardens??

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

wolfs posted:

If you're doing fishing or hunting poo poo you run into them, or things outside in areas where people do those things. Actually they run into you

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Power's been out since Monday and just now my street's being plowed by a bulldozer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If you're doing fishing or hunting poo poo you run into them, or things outside in areas where people do those things. Actually they run into you

It's actually kinda cool when you're in the rear end end of nowhere and a game Warden materializes like it wasn't an eight day hike in.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also one time when I was a kid I was fishing with my grandpa and we were boarded by lake wardens who checked his papers and safety devices. It was pretty cool

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Power's been out since Monday and just now my street's being plowed by a bulldozer.

sounds rough dude

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's actually kinda cool when you're in the rear end end of nowhere and a game Warden materializes like it wasn't an eight day hike in.

Yeah they show up at boat launches or other common fishing spots and they park along forest service roads commonly used by hunters. I've seen a robotic deer dummy in the wooded area between the two directions where the road forks.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Jan 5, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wolfs posted:

Mostly DNR officers here but it's all the same if you're trying to poach or hunt/fish without a permit. There's a reason why even the most back the blue punisher skull lifted pickup chud despises wardens lol. Like half the state I live in is national or state forest land. You really can't avoid them, they're very good at what they do

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah they show up at boat launches or other common fishing spots and they park along forest service roads commonly used by hunters. I've seen a robotic deer dummy in the wooded area between the two directions where the road forks.

What are the deer dummies for?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You never hear about game wardens murdering people even though guns are normally involved

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

HonorableTB posted:

nab people hunting out of season/without a permit

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This is kinda like cops busting people for fake drugs, there's an absurd humor aspect but it gives an uneasy feeling nonetheless

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lmao this is hilarious to me. Imagine taking a shot at a robot deer and you turn around to see an Extremely Angry game warden demanding to see your hunting license after rushing over to check on the fallen dummy, mourning the loss

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Virginia the other day: I-95 frozen
Virginia today: Norfolk flooding

https://twitter.com/zootgod95/status/1478008185273393154

Radical!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Syncopated posted:

sounds rough dude

Luckily the previous owners of our house installed a natural-gas powered generator, which I thought was stupid until this week. My neighbor's food is in our fridge. They can see the tree lying on the power lines running along Route 1 from their window, just sitting there. Power is 100% not coming on until that's cleared.

Tree crews are completely overwhelmed due to a lack of preventative trimming.

Pretty sure every house in our neighborhood was built with a gas fireplace at least, so it's not so bad.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Jan 6, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I keep trying to figure out what id do in a extended power outage since i dont have any sort of secondary heating source (fireplace etc)

Run the stove? Gotta invest in blankets.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

coming up out of the water like Captain Willard

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Virginia the other day: I-95 frozen
Virginia today: Norfolk flooding

https://twitter.com/zootgod95/status/1478008185273393154

Radical!

Tim Kaine's body floating off in the distance

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my parents have been without power in Virginia for the last three days due to the storm.

the only way they're able to charge their phones is by idling their car.

my dad owns three dozen guns but has no idea how to plan for an emergency.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homeless Friend posted:

mfw 580 homes burn down

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my parents have been without power in Virginia for the last three days due to the storm.

the only way they're able to charge their phones is by idling their car.

my dad owns three dozen guns but has no idea how to plan for an emergency.

obviously his plan is to kill and eat someone with a generator

we're not hard to find generators are loud as hell

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luckily the previous owners of our house installed a natural-gas powered generator, which I thought was stupid until this week. My neighbor's food is in our fridge. They can see the tree lying on the power lines running along Route 1 from their window, just sitting there. Power is 100% not coming on until that's cleared.

Tree crews are completely overwhelmed due to a lack of preventative trimming.

Pretty sure every house in our neighborhood was built with a gas fireplace at least, so it's not so bad.

my dad got one too after losing power for days a few years back.

they should figure out how to bury lines so that people dont have to buy a giant engine...i mean they bury the drat gas!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

obviously his plan is to kill and eat someone with a generator

we're not hard to find generators are loud as hell

generators are for the first week after a disaster, after that the noise is a liability

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

my dad got one too after losing power for days a few years back.

they should figure out how to bury lines so that people dont have to buy a giant engine...i mean they bury the drat gas!

So all the powerlines in our development, which is a couple hundred homes, are underground. BUT they are fed from the above ground lines that run along the highway. This wouldn't be any kind of problem if they trimmed the loving trees back!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Radirot posted:

Tim Kaine's body floating off in the distance

hang ten :tubular:

So all the powerlines in our development, which is a couple hundred homes, are underground. BUT they are fed from the above ground lines that run along the highway. This wouldn't be any kind of problem if they trimmed the loving trees back!

Yeah any time that comes up here it's always a "That's VDOT's problem!" "No! That's the property owner's problem!"

Then we get some ice on things and oops poo poo's broken again aw beans

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

In this particular instance it was to catch people "road hunting", it was a doe and it was during hunting season. The assumption being that someone will think that they can get away with killing a doe without the proper tag because they can quickly toss it in their vehicle since it's just standing there so conveniently close to the road.

e: also you have to be a certain distance from a road before you can shoot at something

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Jan 6, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HonorableTB posted:

lmao this is hilarious to me. Imagine taking a shot at a robot deer and you turn around to see an Extremely Angry game warden demanding to see your hunting license after rushing over to check on the fallen dummy, mourning the loss

It takes quite a bit of skill to place the decoy deer so they don't look fake to someone that has hunted long enough. In fact, wardens often are formerly prolific poachers or children of them, really takes a certain type of outdoorsman to hunt poachers specifically.

I have heard crazy stories from wardens on decoy traps hiding in culverts where the poacher pokes the gun out over their head and they couldn't move to even cover their ears lest they give away their position, but as soon as it went off they reached up out of the darkness and they manhandled the rifle right out the truck window

Also stories from felon poachers hiding from wardens with them on their sights that said if the warden saw them they were gonna just pull the trigger, so it goes both ways

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
serious question - what will it take to make people realize the severity of what we are in?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

yippeekiyaymf posted:

serious question - what will it take to make people realize the severity of what we are in?
By the time they really realize it, it will be too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Well at the current rate....a lot more