Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s pretty scary when you realize that our healthcare infrastructure is literally not designed to help everyone and it’s fraying and cracking at the seams right now and there is literally no indication that it’s going to get any better!

the usa had 133,000 fewer cases yesterday than the day before — at this pace we should be down to zero cases in a week...... we are going to beat this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s pretty scary when you realize that our healthcare infrastructure is literally not designed to help everyone and it’s fraying and cracking at the seams right now and there is literally no indication that it’s going to get any better!

like even if a magic genie granted a wish and Biden pens M4A into being tomorrow, and you gave every hospital infinite government money and repurposed the American military into the biggest healthcare institution on the planet… like could you even buy enough equipment and hire enough people and train them fast and dispense enough PPE and tests to matter? enough to really make a difference at this point? I wonder if you could. not trying to be a doomer but we’ve actually hit one of the end games of Capitalism here, right, with these chip shortages? Like even Raytheon and Lockheed Martin can’t get the chips they want, you can’t literally force resources that don’t exist into being by spending, and that’s the only power that capital possesses…

so we’re kind of totally hosed if this strain continues to tax our limited resources without any sign of sea change on our end, policy wise?

A major problem nursing is facing right now is that they can’t -make- enough nurses to deal, even though there’s more people than ever now that want to get into the field. Nursing educators don’t make too much more than nurses do despite requiring graduate level education, and if they’re going for higher education then most people would rather go for their NP or CRNA and make much, much more money. Another entirely systemic issue that’s contributing to things, essentially.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

like even if a magic genie granted a wish and Biden pens M4A into being tomorrow, and you gave every hospital infinite government money and repurposed the American military into the biggest healthcare institution on the planet… like could you even buy enough equipment and hire enough people and train them fast and dispense enough PPE and tests to matter? enough to really make a difference at this point? I wonder if you could. not trying to be a doomer but we’ve actually hit one of the end games of Capitalism here, right, with these chip shortages? Like even Raytheon and Lockheed Martin can’t get the chips they want, you can’t literally force resources that don’t exist into being by spending, and that’s the only power that capital possesses…

so we’re kind of totally hosed if this strain continues to tax our limited resources without any sign of sea change on our end, policy wise?

The last time I saw it come up, the estimate was that we're missing about half of the general practitioners and family medicine doctors we would need to meet the demand of a free at point of service m4a type of system, if you waved a wand and implemented it, with similar shortfalls for nursing staff, hospital and clinic space, technicians, etc

What that says to me is that, despite now accounting for something like a sixth of our GDP and rising, medicine is severely, severely understaffed and undersupported for the public's needs, and only barely manages to handle what it already does by cutting the accessibility of medical care (lol) off to around half the country

This was all pre-pandemic of course, I'm sure it's much worse now. They already needed to be minting new doctors and nurses and building new hospitals like crazy, years ago

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cloks posted:

no, i disagree with the "wear a mask if other people are, don't if they aren't" and "wearing a mask is dumb because you just take it off when you eat at a restaurant" parts

The first is just recognizing futility because we’ve been told over and over that wearing a mask is for the benefit of other people and if nobody else is wearing one then what’s the point?

The latter, come on, you have to see how this is entirely performative and meaningless, right? Wear your mask into the restaurant and take it off as soon as a glass of water is set in front of you?

I say this as a person who always masks even when I’m in places where nobody else does. But I can recognize why it comes across as futile or performative

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The first is just recognizing futility because we’ve been told over and over that wearing a mask is for the benefit of other people and if nobody else is wearing one then what’s the point?

The latter, come on, you have to see how this is entirely performative and meaningless, right? Wear your mask into the restaurant and take it off as soon as a glass of water is set in front of you?

I say this as a person who always masks even when I’m in places where nobody else does. But I can recognize why it comes across as futile or performative

but wearing a mask isn't just for the benefit of other people and you don't have to go to restaurants

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cloks posted:

but wearing a mask isn't just for the benefit of other people and you don't have to go to restaurants

whatever protection against covid is provided by a mask is reduced by taking it off and on a dozen times to eat while you're on an airplane. that's what they were saying, not that "masks are dumb."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cloks posted:

Sure. But everyone else is going to restaurants and it doesn’t matter at all if you do or don’t. I mean like I said I wear a mask. But I’m not going to look down on anyone who looks around them and sees everyone else in the world acting like Covid is over and says gently caress it. Same way I don’t climate shame people for taking airplane trips or driving gasoline automobiles. At some point even well intentioned people just give up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the usa had 133,000 fewer cases yesterday than the day before — at this pace we should be down to zero cases in a week...... we are going to beat this

What the gently caress happens when we hit negative cases?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

whatever protection against covid is provided by a mask is reduced by taking it off and on a dozen times to eat while you're on an airplane. that's what they were saying, not that "masks are dumb."

Nah. He outright said he wears a mask when he’s places where people wear them and doesn’t when he’s places they don’t. That was before the airplane stuff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sure. But everyone else is going to restaurants and it doesn’t matter at all if you do or don’t. I mean like I said I wear a mask. But I’m not going to look down on anyone who looks around them and sees everyone else in the world acting like Covid is over and says gently caress it. Same way I don’t climate shame people for taking airplane trips or driving gasoline automobiles. At some point even well intentioned people just give up

It does matter if you don't want to get Covid

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i don't think continuing this discussion is going to be productive but i completely understand the exhaustion with the government's inane regulations designed to bolster capital instead of protecting people

ultimately it seems like we're stuck with covid now and it sucks, it's just one more way that the powers that be have decided that there's an acceptable class of people to throw into mammon's gaping maw

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gripweed posted:

We put the virus ON TRIAL

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pretty sure airplanes are actually fairly safe and ventilated —— you're probably safer there being masked and scarfing down a snack/drinking something a for a few minutes than you are eating in a restaurant (or at the airport)

otoh last time i flew the were two unmasked people in line for security (the only unmasked ones in line) who were loudly talking about how they leave food on their tray table so they can pretend they're eating whenever a flight attendant walks by so they can fly maskless the entire time. they slipped their masks on right before going through security then immediately took them off after getting past

imo require vaccines for flights seems like a no brainer

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cloks posted:

i don't think continuing this discussion is going to be productive but i completely understand the exhaustion with the government's inane regulations designed to bolster capital instead of protecting people

ultimately it seems like we're stuck with covid now and it sucks, it's just one more way that the powers that be have decided that there's an acceptable class of people to throw into mammon's gaping maw

Yeah. This is my point I think. I can take care of myself but at this point it’s entirely pointless to worry about anyone else. The overall response would have needed to be different for it to matter

Gripweed posted:

It does matter if you don't want to get Covid

Indeed. That’s why I don’t go to bars/restaurants without outdoor seating and why I wear a mask even when others don’t. But beyond that, what can I do, I can’t make everyone else make that same decision and I guess I don’t hold it against people who have just decided gently caress it all

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gripweed posted:

The Third Impact

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It all returns to nothing
It all comes tumbling down
Tumbling down, tumbling down

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cloks posted:

no, i disagree with the "wear a mask if other people are, don't if they aren't" and "wearing a mask is dumb because you just take it off when you eat at a restaurant" parts

ur the scold dude was lamenting

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Checkmate.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Centrist Committee posted:

ur the scold dude was lamenting

yes and he's an idiot for saying that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I hope you drive an EV, eat vegan, and refuse to eat Nestle products.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
shocking lack of respect for our healthcare hero veterans in this thread

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

a giant confetti ball cracks open and everyone smiles and cheers that we've finally beaten the virus

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
e: n/m

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i saw :ninja:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hahaha gently caress that’d be a good gimmick someone should do even if you’re not going to do it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

now that being said, Felix has absolutely been a huge baby about the 'wearing a mask at the gym' thing, dude you make enough money to have someone come to your apartment and assemble a home gym for you lmao

Felix is basically like if you took me during the most blessed time of my life, made it 10x as blessed, and had it continue for my entire adulthood instead of just lasting like 1-2 years in my early 20s.

When your life is full of pleasures, you feel the denial of those pleasures more acutely. Felix has more self-awareness about it than most, but the fundamental circumstances are still the same.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

alright, sure, he goes to a congregate gym, but it's not actually an Equinox, right? that's just a running gag, right??

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ur being the scold dude was lamenting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popy posted:

is this a bit

I listened to the whole thing and i shouldn't have called him an idiot. I'm sure he's a fine guy. Just came off as a bit vax hesitant to me in the beginning and I found it off putting.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I listened to the whole thing and i shouldn't have called him an idiot. I'm sure he's a fine guy. Just came off as a bit vax hesitant to me in the beginning and I found it off putting.

I don’t get this at all. Like the mask thing I get because he said some stuff about masks, but right from the gate he was talking about how nobody who was vaxxed got intubated and only one guy with a lot of comorbidities even got close and idk how you take that as anything except pro-vaxx?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t get this at all. Like the mask thing I get because he said some stuff about masks, but right from the gate he was talking about how nobody who was vaxxed got intubated and only one guy with a lot of comorbidities even got close and idk how you take that as anything except pro-vaxx?

mcmagic is literally one of the dumbest fuckers in the forums

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
but on the other hand, they're also the C-SPAM 2021 "Most Improved" Award recipient

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

but on the other hand, they're also the C-SPAM 2021 "Most Improved" Award recipient

https://mobile.twitter.com/usatoday/status/1458805714416242693?lang=en

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Really? Do i get a plaque or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xaris posted:

mcmagic is literally one of the dumbest fuckers in the forums

He's no D&D poster.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Cloks posted:

it's funny that they dithered around any real recommendations for dealing with covid when those have been the same since day one

it's basically
- wear a high quality (KN94, N95, equivalent) mask in public
- minimize contact with other people
- get vaccinated

but i get that felix needs his treats

very many people whose jobs are not touching computers from their living room are forced to be in contact with other people every day in order to survive, and the government has consciously decided to stop giving them money to stay home, idiot? bitch?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

the bitcoin of weed posted:

very many people whose jobs are not touching computers from their living room are forced to be in contact with other people every day in order to survive, and the government has consciously decided to stop giving them money to stay home, idiot? bitch?

don't sign your posts

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I just listened to the app and i don't know how anyone could come away from this thinking that he is anti vax or "vax hesitant". lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

they are probably thinking of how he said he understood some initial skepticism/reluctance from other nurses as the first population to be vaxxed in Dec 2020. too much nuance for your average cspam poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

the bitcoin of weed posted:

you're right though and it's unconscionable

unfortunately, pointing out that I'm a bitchmade idiot doesn't change how covid works