Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
buy the premium trim or else you're getting a penalty box worse than a stripper 400 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

lol

loving lmfao

they went out of their way to make what will still inevitably be $50k look like a turd

The one WTFBEES posted looked okay to me as far as dumb modern trucks go -- bvut that fully rubberized front end is awful.

5 years before we don't even get painted cars anymore, it's just all that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

buy the premium trim or else you're getting a penalty box worse than a stripper 400 series.

it still gets interior screens and a console

the missing $50 worth of paint is so higher trim owners can tell they are better than you

Sab669 posted:

The one WTFBEES posted looked okay to me as far as dumb modern trucks go -- bvut that fully rubberized front end is awful.

5 years before we don't even get painted cars anymore, it's just all that.

less than that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEm78CSpvs

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The hippie in me actually loves that moss interior thing :v:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Powershift posted:

lol

loving lmfao

they went out of their way to make what will still inevitably be $50k look like a turd

I seriously at first thought you photoshopped that and I was going to going to say good job.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I miss unpainted bumpers on cars, haha

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Build and price is up for the lightning. A nice lariat build costs more than the super duty tremor it's going up against in my head (yes, I know they are very different, outside of being Ford trucks).

https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150-lightning/model/customize/pro

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Powershift posted:

lol

loving lmfao

:yikes:

Is this still body on frame?

FBS fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 5, 2022

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Please let this have a fun, powerful, quick version GM :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chrysler also dropped the airflow concept

remember chrysler?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We have polestar at home

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
work trucks kinda always been stripped down, don't think it's fair to say that because a WT doesn't have a painted bumper that it's an indicator of a trend towards unpainted bumpers

now in the future trucks will be 130% grille. already a Sierra Denali with the offroad package puts the top of the grille above my eyes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

work trucks kinda always been stripped down, don't think it's fair to say that because a WT doesn't have a painted bumper that it's an indicator of a trend towards unpainted bumpers

now in the future trucks will be 130% grille. already a Sierra Denali with the offroad package puts the top of the grille above my eyes.

I can still reach the dipstick on a new 4x4 3/4 ton without a step ladder :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Powershift posted:

I can still reach the dipstick on a new 4x4 3/4 ton without a step ladder :smug:

Stop touching yourself

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

buy the premium trim or else you're getting a penalty box worse than a stripper 400 series.not getting an allocation.

FTFY

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For real. Those are bought to actually use on job sites and in the field and poo poo. I have to imagine that those mainly go to fleet sales right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

For real. Those are bought to actually use on job sites and in the field and poo poo. I have to imagine that those mainly go to fleet sales right?

fleet sales and old dudes, but still an absolutley minuscule amount of trucks.

It probably cost them more to make the molds for the textured plastic front ends than it would have to just standardize painted front plastics. Especially considering they will probalby only be available in white, grey, or black

Event he most basic of basic f-150 work trucks had a painted bumper pad.

On that subject, the base model F-150 in Canada has nearly doubled since 2014. Even the new Maverick is more than twice the price the final 2012 ranger was.

Minimum wage is up 40-50% from between $10.20 and $10.70 to between $12.75 and $15.20
Median family income is up 13% from $55,600 in 2014 to $62,900 in 2019(most recent data available)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

All these bigass 1/2 ton trucks and I'm just sitting here wishing I could score a working LMTV off govplanet :getin:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally saw a Maverick in the flesh today. Stripped down model. What a nice change of pace seeing a compact truck. At first I thought it was some super clean 90's Isuzu or something.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Making the Lightning just a regular ol' truck with a regular ol' truck cab and bed and no stupid dumb gimmicks like being bulletproof is the best thing Ford could have done and is one of the most attractive features of the Lightning. There are other options for whacky look at me EV trucks, Ford will continue to outsell all of them by just selling A Truck.

Yeah I agree that the F-150 Lightning being A Truck was a masterful move on Ford's part precisely because it doesn't make the vehicle functionally or aesthetically exceptional/into a statement. It's a pickup truck that happens to be electric, making the electric/ICE differentiation more like gas vs diesel than normal car vs electric car. Electric cars will become the normal cars soon enough, so seems like Ford's just cutting to the chase by making normal vehicles that are electric instead of electric vehicles special and different just because they're electric.

Also I thought the electric Silverado was going to be, uh, an actual Silverado and not an electrified Avalanche. Is this the future of the Silverado in general? Are there going to be different cab/bed options with the unibody? Were they developing this as its own model/an Avalanche reboot before deciding to slap the Silverado nameplate on it? I am confused/perturbed by the significant divergence in design between the electric and ICE Silverados.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah I agree that the F-150 Lightning being A Truck was a masterful move on Ford's part precisely because it doesn't make the vehicle functionally or aesthetically exceptional/into a statement. It's a pickup truck that happens to be electric, making the electric/ICE differentiation more like gas vs diesel than normal car vs electric car. Electric cars will become the normal cars soon enough, so seems like Ford's just cutting to the chase by making normal vehicles that are electric instead of electric vehicles special and different just because they're electric.

Also I thought the electric Silverado was going to be, uh, an actual Silverado and not an electrified Avalanche. Is this the future of the Silverado in general? Are there going to be different cab/bed options with the unibody? Were they developing this as its own model/an Avalanche reboot before deciding to slap the Silverado nameplate on it? I am confused/perturbed by the significant divergence in design between the electric and ICE Silverados.

This just feels like GM scrambling after hearing ford doubling production and slapping a chevy badge on the hummer EV.

Maybe finding somewhere to stink all their Nikola Badger stuff.

They'll probably again regret it when 5 years down the road they want to build an actual Silverado EV.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 6, 2022

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Powershift posted:

This just feels like GM scrambling after hearing ford doubling production and slapping a chevy badge on the hummer EV.

Same factory, right? At least they made the production line wide enough the first time :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
After all that hype and 'prestige' marketing about the return of Hummer and they Cimarron it. Classic GM.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Franco Caution posted:

Please let this have a fun, powerful, quick version GM :(

I... think I like this, a Chevy Equinox? What is going on here.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It does look cool, for the segment anyways. That front bumper looks so out of place for the nameplate though lol.

The real question is, will it come in that nice green color the regular equinox can be had in?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The bodyside is cool as hell. Big soft volume with a clean highlight but then tense sharp arches cutting into it. Ace.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Best looking new concept I've seen in a while that won't have a starting MSRP over 50k (though it may)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Powershift posted:

remember chrysler?

I'll give them points for reviving the Airflow name for it. The original was a '30s streamliner that was ahead of its time technologically but flopped because it was super weird looking.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I wonder who ended up with Lowtax's GT-R

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

smooth jazz posted:

I wonder who ended up with Lowtax's GT-R

It was a lease, so presumably the dealership

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

It was a lease, so presumably the dealership

This probably, but there was a small part of me that hoped Jeffery got it, and raffled it off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Queen Victorian posted:

:hmmyes:

It almost makes up for the :wtc: marketing punt with the Mach-E.

We’ll see if Ford can actually build them in meaningful numbers. If they can do even 75,000 in the first year, that’s a huge win for them, even if it’s gonna leave a ton of extremely pissed off (and irrationally entitled) customers.

Powershift posted:

I would delete scrambling, and replace it with “grinding on at a snails pace like always.”

There’s no way they didn’t have a Chevrolet badged version of the HEV in the pipeline. Zero chance. Hell, they teased it in a video about something else like a year ago, IIRC.

Also, since we no longer need the massive front box for an engine and transmission, cabover 1/2 ton full-cab longbed EV pickup truck when?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Also, since we no longer need the massive front box for an engine and transmission, cabover 1/2 ton full-cab longbed EV pickup truck when?

sorry cant change that...modern trucks are made for hauling ego

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MrYenko posted:

That's what the Canoo vaporware is supposed to be.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Powershift posted:

remember chrysler?

This EV SUV style is the optimal design when taking current battery packaging, aerodynamics, and consumer preferences into account, but none of them make me want to buy one except for the Ioniq 5. Once again I am asking for someone that isn't Tesla to make an EV car that is less than $80K

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I want a maverick am I an idiot?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Godzilla07 posted:

This EV SUV style is the optimal design when taking current battery packaging, aerodynamics, and consumer preferences into account, but none of them make me want to buy one except for the Ioniq 5. Once again I am asking for someone that isn't Tesla to make an EV car that is less than $80K

You can get a very well optioned BMW i4 for $75k.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Milosh posted:

No. I want one too. Just wait a couple years.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

LeeMajors posted:

No. I want one too. Just wait a couple years.

Agreed. Plus in a couple of years hopefully they will have announced the ST version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigdookie
Nov 21, 2005
The Awesome!
Grimey Drawer

Milosh posted:

I ordered one, trading in a 2018 WRX because it makes more sense at this point in life. I rarely ever get a chance to drive for fun anymore, and with COVID lockdown I just need something with decent gas mileage and more utility.

Hauling a smallish powerboat, yard work, small home improvement stuff, hauling wet camping gear, etc. I am super tired of always either hiring someone to haul away junk, or mooching / aligning schedules with friends.

It seems to be the perfect do everything kind of sort of well vehicle for a small family. I have never wanted a largish truck before, and was seriously looking at mid sizers recently but decided I could do with less. I guess I am Ford's target demographic.