Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Did anyone else just assume the Chozo were extinct and got really surprised when they show up in like the first or second cutscene?

I gotta finish that final boss, i've been stuck on it for a hot moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dread strikes a good balance of gently guiding you without outright telling you where to go while still allowing for lots of sequence breaking when you know what to look for and understand your movement capabilities

like i certainly don't miss how fusion, zero mission, or prime (if you forget to immediately turn the hint system off) work in that regard

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stux posted:

the peak of zelda is links awakening

the rare good stuxpinion

link's awakening pwns and is leagues better than botw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dreads strenght is in it catering to the incurious witha railroaded fusion like path to follow as well as normal people by rewarding exploration and sequence breaking

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Stux posted:

the peak of zelda is links awakening

i played botw and the link's awakening for the first time in 2021 and i gotta agree

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where’s the Oracle remakes Nintendo?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like Link's Awakening and BotW are so different that it's extremely personal preference as to which one is "better", to some extent.

Anyways I like how in Dread they drop a massive hint right off the bat (somewhat major spoilers) that the Adam that you talk to once you connect to the system on the planet is not the real Adam...it immediately calls you Samus and the real Adam always refers to her as Lady. Kind of fun to then assume Samus knew from the very beginning as well

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LPG Giant posted:

This video gives a nice summary on how Metroid Dread guided people around without a lot of people noticing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pop-cc9kmY

Yeah ok but Super Metroid absolutely does that too.

I was a lot less loss when I played Super than I was in Dread.

And I absolutely did get lost in Dread. I don't care what that video says. My sense of direction is legendarily bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I want to buy a digital copy of a game for so eone what is the most reputable way to do that? The game is Disco Elysium

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
more like meh-troid dread

The Postman
May 12, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I want to buy a digital copy of a game for so eone what is the most reputable way to do that? The game is Disco Elysium

I think it's only available on the eShop, so you'd have to gift them some eShop credit, and it only comes in denominations of $10, $20, $35 and $50.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Links awakening isn’t even better than majoras mask. Y’all trippin

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

actually you are the one who is tripping.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

isnt even implies mm isnt also one of the best zeldas ever

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
no tripping...this isn't smash bros brawl for the wii featuring the first playable appearance of diddy kong, wario, and other fan favourites

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's easy, link's awakening is the best 2d and majora's mask is the best 3d

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Link's Awakening isn't better than BOTW but Majora's Mask is the most overhyped game in the series.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Your Computer posted:

super metroid is a lot jankier, it has way worse movement and the worst possible item selection controls

but, y'know... nostalgia

This is very true. There was once a romhack that gives it zero mission controls iirc, if people are into such things.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So many good games but y'all choose to post bad takes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've loved every Zelda I've played since ALTTP and I couldn't get in to MM.

Quick question. I just bought a switch a few days ago. I need a case and games. So far a bro hooked me up with these

And I also borrowed BOTW which I've already beat once on an emulator, and Splatoon 2 because it's fun af.

Any case recommendations and other must have games? I prefer BOTW/Secret of Mana type adventure games, FPS, casual platformers and racing games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Link's Awakening isn't better than BOTW but Majora's Mask is the most overhyped game in the series.

it deserves all the hype it gets and I'm excited to take a bunch of screenshots when it arrives on switch

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

I've loved every Zelda I've played since ALTTP and I couldn't get in to MM.

Quick question. I just bought a switch a few days ago. I need a case and games. So far a bro hooked me up with these

And I also borrowed BOTW which I've already beat once on an emulator, and Splatoon 2 because it's fun af.

Any case recommendations and other must have games? I prefer BOTW/Secret of Mana type adventure games, FPS, casual platformers and racing games.

if you like mana, definitely check out the trials of mana remake

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chronojam posted:

This is very true. There was once a romhack that gives it zero mission controls iirc, if people are into such things.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/

someone mentioned this in the iz metroid dread thread and i intend to put it on the snes classic and give it a try when i'm ready to give dread a rest.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

EvilJoven posted:

drat. that's a good bro. hang on to that bro.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

wrong on both counts

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's the best Zelda game ever made and it's not particularly close.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my OLED switch... it's connected to the TV, and I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on my TV (2020 Sony x900h) and it WON'T consistently appear when turning the switch on.

I've tried the "power match" setting on the switch off and on. Right now it's a 2/10 chance that if you use the controller to wake the switch (and TV) that the switch will appear on the screen.

I have to turn the TV on with it because even with the switch on, in the dock, if I switch to its input, I still get nothing.

I'm going crazy here and it's actually incredibly frustrating. Am I an idiot? I hope I am. I am using the OLED dock that came with it and this is my first switch. I've checked all of my TV's video and power settings for something and nothing has had an effect.

Anyone else have this happen?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
CEC is incredibly finicky and dependent on voodoo magic to get working across different hardware setups. Maybe try a different HDMI port, or just keep turning CEC off and on again in the settings and hope it eventually works.

I would tell you to just buy a new TV but that's a nice TV so I hope you can get it to work.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

forest spirit posted:

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my OLED switch... it's connected to the TV, and I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on my TV (2020 Sony x900h) and it WON'T consistently appear when turning the switch on.

I've tried the "power match" setting on the switch off and on. Right now it's a 2/10 chance that if you use the controller to wake the switch (and TV) that the switch will appear on the screen.

I have to turn the TV on with it because even with the switch on, in the dock, if I switch to its input, I still get nothing.

I'm going crazy here and it's actually incredibly frustrating. Am I an idiot? I hope I am. I am using the OLED dock that came with it and this is my first switch. I've checked all of my TV's video and power settings for something and nothing has had an effect.

Anyone else have this happen?

I think there's a limit on the number of attached devices that can use HDMI-CEC, or something like that. Try unplugging everything else and see if it works with just the Switch?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Your Computer posted:

it's easy, link's awakening is the best 2d and majora's mask is the best 3d

It's this. Plus LBW being the best combo 2d/3d Zelda game.

BotW is the worst Zelda game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

b_d posted:

drat. that's a good bro. hang on to that bro.

He's definitely a good bro

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I finished BotW last night. Beautiful game, amazing experience. Second only to ocarina of time in the series.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Botw is extremely chill and cool but it's a weird/bad Zelda game. Topic locked.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's time to face the facts: classic zelda style games are an outdated relic from a different era of gaming with an increasingly niche audience

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

American McGay posted:

Botw is extremely chill and cool

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
A goon's favorite Zelda is the last one they played before they got depression.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
considering that botw is preceded by skyward sword and twilight princess, it seems like the zelda team were having a hell of a time making that classic style game anyway. it is crazy to me that that game exists and is as incredible and interesting as it is

makes sense that a lot of zelda diehards dislike it, because it is very much not the "classic formula polished to a mirror shine" that Nintendo is known for

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bleck posted:

A goon's favorite Zelda is the last one they played before they got depression.

Jokes on you, I've always been depressed and love most Zelda games.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

What Nintendo Switch game is everyone starting the year off with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

considering that botw is preceded by skyward sword and twilight princess, it seems like the zelda team were having a hell of a time making that classic style game anyway. it is crazy to me that that game exists and is as incredible and interesting as it is

makes sense that a lot of zelda diehards dislike it, because it is very much not the "classic formula polished to a mirror shine" that Nintendo is known for

tp is the best 3d zelda