Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That sounds like an "adventure" game for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah for some reason a king's quest game comes to mind but I can't picture the oil can exactly

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You might be getting some wires crossed with Quest For Glory. It's been a while but I remember that if you were playing as a thief you needed to buy some oil to grease squeaky door hinges, and I believe the oil can was one of the old time designs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Pirate Captain posted:

A thing to consider is that it’s trivial for IT to detect a VPN IP address.

That's true if you use a commercial VPN. But if you have a trusted friend in NYC, and they're willing to let you put an openvpn server at their place, then your connection will appear to be coming from their perfectly ordinary residential cable/dsl/whatever connection. They'd have to do some sort of intricate traffic timing analysis to detect your VPN shenanigans.

(Please note that I'm not even addressing whether this whole endeavor would be a good idea or not, I'm only taking about how it could be done.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abelwingnut posted:

vpn question:

so my girlfriend's job went remote a few months ago. full remote--no limitations. now her boss is saying remote is 'limited' to eastern time, where her department is located.

given what she was told, we pretty much moved to the west coast. her boss is a crazy person, and i guess we should have expected she'd renege on what she said.

regardless of that part of this situation, we want to try a vpn that makes it look like she's back in nyc. problem is, her laptop is from work, and we suspect there's tracking software on there. any way to find out? i also know they require her to use some vpn software that's installed on the machine.

what are my options here? ideally we wouldn't touch anything on her laptop. instead, there'd be an intermediary device between her machine and the router that acts as a vpn and shows her ip as an nyc one. or maybe there's some other option i don't know about. networking isn't my thing so i'm not sure what my options are here.

You can get a VPN router so every device that connects to your home wifi goes through the VPN automatically. Don't need to touch her work laptop at all that way.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is this boss actually using "eastern time" as the criteria? Like she'd be happy if your wife was in Miami? Or is she expecting within a couple hours of the office because she wants to call people in occasionally?

There are some legal considerations for being in different states (like the whole Colorado stuff), is this a big enough company that her boss has a boss and an HR company etc.? Might be going to them is a better way to handle this. Or, if you need to buy some time, could say "well, now we need to move back, that's going to take at least a month to sort out" while she looks for a less crazy boss.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are most of the youtube videos from the mid-late 00s (the golden classical era) gone or are they hidden beneath all the new content?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can get a VPN router so every device that connects to your home wifi goes through the VPN automatically. Don't need to touch her work laptop at all that way.

yeah, this is the best recommendation. Maybe something like https://www.pcwrt.com/

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grouchio posted:

Are most of the youtube videos from the mid-late 00s (the golden classical era) gone or are they hidden beneath all the new content?

Youtube decided to delist videos from accounts that are orphaned. So all that cool poo poo from accounts that fell by the wayside are effectively gone.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Inceltown posted:

Youtube decided to delist videos from accounts that are orphaned. So all that cool poo poo from accounts that fell by the wayside are effectively gone.
Do we have a dedicated 00s thread to early Youtube videos pre-2010? If we don't, I should make one. PYF or GBS?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've found lately that I seem to be doing something when riding my bike that's causing some kind of painful strain on my arm, and sometimes I get pins and needles like I'm pinching a nerve or something. I don't feel like I've changed the way I hold the handlebars, but I guess I must have. How can I figure out what I'm doing and stop it?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I've found lately that I seem to be doing something when riding my bike that's causing some kind of painful strain on my arm, and sometimes I get pins and needles like I'm pinching a nerve or something. I don't feel like I've changed the way I hold the handlebars, but I guess I must have. How can I figure out what I'm doing and stop it?

Might help to know precisely where on your arm. My solution has always been to try and deliberately change my hand positions during a ride. Like, go ahead and get in the drops on every downhill even if I don't particularly feel the need.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Might help to know precisely where on your arm.
Like, forearm and wrist? It's not really localised.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Which arm? Have a watch there you can switch to the other arm?

I have something similar with carpal

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mano posted:

Which arm? Have a watch there you can switch to the other arm?
Right. I'm right-handed and don't wear a watch or anything else on my wrists. I'm in Australia so I'm generally cycling on the left side of the road or bike path, in case that's relevant.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Right. I'm right-handed and don't wear a watch or anything else on my wrists. I'm in Australia so I'm generally cycling on the left side of the road or bike path, in case that's relevant.

It could be as simple as you're getting old / packed on a few kilos and are putting more pressure on your hand now. As mentioned above try swap around between drops and hoods a bit if you're on a road bike. If you're on a mountain bike try sitting up a bit straighter / adjusting your seat height a little. Failing that any decent LBS should be able to give you a few pointers just looking at the way you ride.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check your posture in general. You might be pinching a nerve in your back/spine, with effects that are perceived as coming from where the nerve terminates.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there an old/retro PC thread somewhere? I took a look around SH/SC but couldn't see one

I have a thrift store PC that I have wiped and want to figure out what OS would be best on it for running old software, and how horrendous of an idea it would be to put it on the internet.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In western (or at least English language) sources, why are Chinese and Korean names given in native name order so much more consistently than Japanese names?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Jinping Xi” or “Jae-in Moon” but I see “Yoshihide Suga” and “Shinzo Abe” all the time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Real Happy Camper posted:

Is there an old/retro PC thread somewhere? I took a look around SH/SC but couldn't see one

I have a thrift store PC that I have wiped and want to figure out what OS would be best on it for running old software, and how horrendous of an idea it would be to put it on the internet.

Someone in this thread might be able to point you in the right direction:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have a graphics display tablet with a stand that makes it's foot print about 13 inches long by 26 inches wide. My cat likes to sit in front of the monitor for pets, but right now she has no space on the desk for her anymore. The desk itself is 24 inches long by 48 inches wide. I want a little space for my keboard, a way to slide my monitor back and forth (but it locks,) and a way to make room for my cat or popcorn or whatever. If I can't find this furniture, I'll probably commission a wood working friend, but is there terminology for what I'm looking for that would make this easier? Is there balance issues I should be aware of? Should I just tell my idea to the guy I'm commissioning without research? Does a product already exist that could do this?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My wife got this teacup years ago at a yard sale and really loved the way it looked. It recently broke. I want to replace it for her, is there any way to find out what company it is from or what to search to find a used one on eBay or something?

There are no words or logos or anything on it.

Upside down to show bottom

Not pictured, the side where the handle broke off.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I have a graphics display tablet with a stand that makes it's foot print about 13 inches long by 26 inches wide. My cat likes to sit in front of the monitor for pets, but right now she has no space on the desk for her anymore. The desk itself is 24 inches long by 48 inches wide. I want a little space for my keboard, a way to slide my monitor back and forth (but it locks,) and a way to make room for my cat or popcorn or whatever. If I can't find this furniture, I'll probably commission a wood working friend, but is there terminology for what I'm looking for that would make this easier? Is there balance issues I should be aware of? Should I just tell my idea to the guy I'm commissioning without research? Does a product already exist that could do this?

Something like this?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 5, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

As mentioned above try swap around between drops and hoods a bit if you're on a road bike.
I don't know what this means but from a quick google it looks like it applies to some type of handelbars I don't have.

Inceltown posted:

Failing that any decent LBS should be able to give you a few pointers just looking at the way you ride.
I don't know what an LBS is either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

local bike shop

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RCarr posted:

My wife got this teacup years ago at a yard sale and really loved the way it looked. It recently broke. I want to replace it for her, is there any way to find out what company it is from or what to search to find a used one on eBay or something?

There are no words or logos or anything on it.

Upside down to show bottom

Not pictured, the side where the handle broke off.
Replacements, Ltd is probably your best bet, but with no maker’s markings at all it’s kind of a crapshoot

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Replacements, Ltd is probably your best bet, but with no maker’s markings at all it’s kind of a crapshoot

I just looked through 2,700+ teacups and didn’t find it. :sigh: Thanks for the recommendation though!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what this means but from a quick google it looks like it applies to some type of handelbars I don't have.

Drops are the lower part of the handlebars on the lycra crew bikes. You can safely ignore that bit. Any tingling in your arms caused by the handlebars is coming from you putting too much weight on your hands. Most of your weight should be taken by legs and butt. Adjusting your seat position a bit can help that. See if you've got a bike co-op near you as they are a wealth of information.

As mentioned above to it could be something in your back manifesting this way to. Again adjusting your ride position may help this.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Badger of Basra posted:

In western (or at least English language) sources, why are Chinese and Korean names given in native name order so much more consistently than Japanese names?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Jinping Xi” or “Jae-in Moon” but I see “Yoshihide Suga” and “Shinzo Abe” all the time.

Maybe Japanese names just look easier and more familiar to us, like Hungarian ones

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Badger of Basra posted:

I remember reading once that Abe was stoked someone finally got his name around the right way because Western press had hosed it up so much that everyone thought his family name / first name were the other way around. So a lot of it could be due to the fact that no one actually realises they're getting it wrong.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Maybe look for a pair of bullhorns (also called bar ends) that you can put on the ends of your handlebars. They're cheap and easy to install and will give you a few different hand positions (which will give your back some variety as well). I'm pretty sure your wing mirror (I think that's what I see out of the right side) can be incorporated with those too. Seconding the advice to visit your LBS or some kind of bike coop where they'll have used parts and you can get everything done cheap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

greazeball posted:

Maybe look for a pair of bullhorns (also called bar ends) that you can put on the ends of your handlebars. They're cheap and easy to install and will give you a few different hand positions (which will give your back some variety as well).
I've looked at pictures of these and I'm confused. Do you just have to keep switching your hands back and forth every time you want to use the gears or brakes? That seems awkward.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I've looked at pictures of these and I'm confused. Do you just have to keep switching your hands back and forth every time you want to use the gears or brakes? That seems awkward.

It's really not that awkward in practice. You don't spend that much time during a ride on the brakes or gears. Most cyclists hands are all over the place during a ride for comfort reasons. If you add bullhorns to yours you can grab those for a few minutes on flat sections just to mix things up and relieve pressure on your arms and hands.

I know you don't have drop bars but they look funny because they give you lots of options: Drop bar hand positions

Edit: And if you don't want to throw money at the problem, try not to grip your handlebars so tight and make an effort to let go and stretch/rest one arm at a time now and then.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 5, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

There will be stretches of your ride where you're in the right gear, have a good view of the road ahead and just want to keep your rhythm. You might notice it at first but it really isn't something you think about after a while at all, just different places to put your hands to take some pressure off and give your back/neck/shoulders some different positions too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This just occured to me too. There are some bike grips that come with these ergonomic rests on them, this might be more your style and give you a little more comfort:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tiggum posted:

Relax / drop your shoulders. That helped me a ton.

Also, go to a bike shop and tell them you want bar ends installed. It will give you more hand positions on your bike and shouldn't cost too much, like under $100 for sure, probably more like $35-50

Efb

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 5, 2022

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What are some fun co-operative things to do with a partner over Discord? COVID is putting paid to anything outside for the next few weeks where I'm at. They aren't really a gamer but not totally uninitiated, so it's possible so long as it's relatively simplistic and can run on their old Mac laptop.

I'm sort of envisioning something we can both view on our screens simultaneously while chatting, whatever that might entail. Already simulwatch TV stuff on occasion, but it's a bit non-interactive.

Bog standard or slightly off the wall suggestions welcome, tia.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

What are some fun co-operative things to do with a partner over Discord? COVID is putting paid to anything outside for the next few weeks where I'm at. They aren't really a gamer but not totally uninitiated, so it's possible so long as it's relatively simplistic and can run on their old Mac laptop.

I'm sort of envisioning something we can both view on our screens simultaneously while chatting, whatever that might entail. Already simulwatch TV stuff on occasion, but it's a bit non-interactive.

I played some We Were Here with a non-gaming friend over the holidays. It was a good time, like multiplayer Myst, nothing sweaty, and required good communication. The series runs on Mac OS and has very minimal requirements.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jeza posted:

First things that occurr to me is maybe play a nice slow-paced exploration game, screen share it with them, and let them direct you where to go?

Then when I was trying to think of an example I realized you could also try playing Stardew Valley together? Stardew's co-op is excellent and the game is nice and chill. It would probably run fine on an old Mac? Don't actually know the answer to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
Stardew is excellent, charming, and zero-stress, I would also recommend! I haven't knowledge of Mac computers or their gaming capabilities, though Stardew should run fine on older hardware in general.

My partner and I like to have hobbies together. Maybe take some time to learn about their hobbies, watch their YouTuber hobbiest of choice and encourage them to teach you about it.

Plan a vacation together, to a place where neither of you speak the language, and learn the language together.

Plan a concert night where you both pick a ~ 1 hour set on YouTube and watch a favorite band play a recorded show, and both drink cheap beer and vibe.

Play board games on Yahoo games.