Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This is the most newbie friendly tutorial I've found for people who know very little.

https://lichess.org/learn#/

It's also good to try some of the puzzles on lichess.org or chess.com

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Grouchio posted:

How do I make 2022 not suck for myself?

Spend 15% less money than you make

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Grouchio posted:

get vaccinated and get boosted

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Spend 15% less money than you make
Actually I spend roughly 75% less money than I make already :homebrew:

abelwingnut posted:

get vaccinated and get boosted
Done and done

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver Falcon posted:

If you end up making a thread for this, link it here! I'd follow it.

Organza Quiz posted:

I am so invested in this now, maybe it should be a thread?
circumstances have changed since I made that last post and so for the moment I can't talk further about it, but once things are cleared up, for sure I'll make a thread for it if I'm able.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Grouchio posted:

Actually I spend roughly 75% less money than I make already :homebrew:

I said what I said.

Develop a new hobby (I highly recommend biking. Road and mountain are both great but for completely different reasons) and spend more money. Or travel.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grouchio posted:

What sucked about 2021?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Identify sources of stress in your life, and figure out how to eliminate or mitigate them. Identify sources of happiness, and figure out how to male those more prevalent. Have a varied and interesting set of activities. Foster social connections with people who accept and appreciate you.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Grouchio posted:

get a dog.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

get a dog.

Counterpoint: don't expect other people/animals to fix your problems for you. Volunteer as a dog walker for your local shelter instead.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Learn to want what you have.

Make time for issues you care about and do activism around it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Play Ghost of Tsushima for PS4/PS5.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

What sucked about 2021?
As an autistic, I had no control over my empathy towards suffering when I react to bad news that I have no control over. Over the course of the Trump administration D&D had taught me to become sensationalized and burnt out on politics (from stressing over it everyday in an attempt to empathize and act human) - which stuck with me through much of 2021 until I realized such stress was shortening my lifespan after said stress nearly killed my father.

Then I realized it was okay to turn off my empathy, cast away the news spiral and stop worrying over things I had no control over - like the plight of the poor, the pandemic, etc. I would've had a much happier 2021 had I done this sooner in the year. And now I can probably handle poo poo like Ukraine and the Midterms much better.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

As an autistic, I had no control over my empathy towards suffering when I react to bad news that I have no control over. Over the course of the Trump administration D&D had taught me to become sensationalized and burnt out on politics (from stressing over it everyday in an attempt to empathize and act human) - which stuck with me through much of 2021 until I realized such stress was shortening my lifespan after said stress nearly killed my father.

Then I realized it was okay to turn off my empathy, cast away the news spiral and stop worrying over things I had no control over - like the plight of the poor, the pandemic, etc. I would've had a much happier 2021 had I done this sooner in the year. And now I can probably handle poo poo like Ukraine and the Midterms much better.

Sounds like therapy may make your 2022 better

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

So, dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

apple's iphone 12 technical specs site posted:

Built-in GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou

i know all/most modern phones support multiple satellite networks like this, curious if there's any way of knowing how often the phone would take advantage of the other ones in while us territory? i know the russian one at least has global coverage and i'm guessing my phone was at least more likely to contact them when i was able to travel to japan and europe in 2019.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

BonHair posted:

So, dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed?

I'd wager that for the most part, self-dehumanized people don't say that they can probably handle poo poo like Ukraine and the midterms much better.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Grouchio posted:

Mindful meditation and drugs to identify harmful associations and break them. Practice active selfishness. Also cut out social media and turn off the news.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Grouchio posted:

Intentionality. My husband and I decided to make “intentionality” our watchword in 2021 and it improved our lives enormously. Being proactive instead of reactive where you can is a game-changer in my book.

So, your decision to limit your news intake and thus manage stress is a good example of intentionality, and you might think about building on that. We’ve been applying it to big things (home improvements, for example) and really small things (making plans about what to eat for lunch each day instead of just opting for the same old same old) and it is great.

Also applies to big giant worries like economic inequity. We decided we would do what we could, so we picked some charities doing good stuff in efficient ways and donated to them. We also carry a planned amount of weekly cash to give to people without housing when they ask for money on the street, and when that week’s money runs out, we have to say “no” (but if we don’t use up a week’s budget, we just give more money out the next week). It feels better to say “this is what we’re going to give to organizations each year, this is what we’re going to give to individuals this week” and just do that intentionally and just accept that that’s the best we can do right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thauros posted:

i know all/most modern phones support multiple satellite networks like this, curious if there's any way of knowing how often the phone would take advantage of the other ones in while us territory? i know the russian one at least has global coverage and i'm guessing my phone was at least more likely to contact them when i was able to travel to japan and europe in 2019.

You can use an app like GPS Test to see or filter which of the GNSS satellites are being used

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Why is Mo such a popular Chinese name in web novels?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Extra row of tits posted:

Does anyone know of a website or programme that will teach me how to play chess?

New player that knows very little.

Similar questions are discussed frequently in the Chess thread, which is very beginner-friendly.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3986136

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything I can get to improve whatever cell signal MMSs get transmitted on? Our neighborhood (and particularly our house) is in some sort of dead area for T-Mobile (we use Mint Mobile). Regular SMSs and wifi calling work fine, but my family insists on group MMSs instead of using some actual chat app. Data isn't a problem since I've got good fiber internet.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

You could try getting a Google Voice number (if they still offer them) and use that number in your group chat, it should send and receive over wifi I believe.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah they still do. I just set one up a couple weeks ago, though had to try a few different area codes. (I think... I might be thinking of TextNow.)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If someone has 30 years experience in tool and die making, but has decided they're sick of it, what are some fields they could pivot to where their experience would be an asset? I feel like it's a pretty niche field as far as applicable skills go, but I also don't actually know poo poo about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

regulargonzalez posted:

You could try getting a Google Voice number (if they still offer them) and use that number in your group chat, it should send and receive over wifi I believe.

I do have one, but I doubt I'll be able to get my family to switch to that either.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I got a new PC last year, which came with a free year of McAfee antivirus. It just expired - what is the best option, if any, for replacing it these days?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Didn't know the best place to ask this question, let me know if it's not here.

I have a torch which uses 26650 rechargeable batteries. The ones it came with are poo poo and don't hold a charge - immediately after leaving the charger they show 25% full.

How would I know what are good batteries to replace them with? I read the vaping thread in TCC and I found some MXJO yellow batteries recommended for that, but I don't know if they'd be good for this particular application. I imagine vaping needs really high drain from a battery that'll be kept in your pocket whereas lighting my dog walk doesn't, and relies on batteries kept in a cold car.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

StandardVC10 posted:

I got a new PC last year, which came with a free year of McAfee antivirus. It just expired - what is the best option, if any, for replacing it these days?
Defender, which is built into Windows is the very least bad antivirus to have for home use. That has been the case for a long time now. There's probably a McAfee uninstaller to get rid of the crud the regular uninstaller leaves behind, or do a fresh Windows install even.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

vpn question:

so my girlfriend's job went remote a few months ago. full remote--no limitations. now her boss is saying remote is 'limited' to eastern time, where her department is located.

given what she was told, we pretty much moved to the west coast. her boss is a crazy person, and i guess we should have expected she'd renege on what she said.

regardless of that part of this situation, we want to try a vpn that makes it look like she's back in nyc. problem is, her laptop is from work, and we suspect there's tracking software on there. any way to find out? i also know they require her to use some vpn software that's installed on the machine.

what are my options here? ideally we wouldn't touch anything on her laptop. instead, there'd be an intermediary device between her machine and the router that acts as a vpn and shows her ip as an nyc one. or maybe there's some other option i don't know about. networking isn't my thing so i'm not sure what my options are here.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I'm pretty sure you could network her laptop through a computer running a VPN, but I'm not an expert.

Something you might not have considered is that your address is used for tax purposes, so if you tell them you are in New York you will pay those taxes and not taxes for wherever west coast state you moved too. In theory this could be a problem come tax time, especially because I assume your tax return will be completed with your real, non New York address. That is highly likely to trigger an audit by the western state trying to determine why no state taxes were paid. Ultimately you could end up having to pay taxes for two states.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s something to think about but you are really just over-withholding in one state and under-withholding in the other, and you would sort it out when you file state tax returns in both places.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Defender, which is built into Windows is the very least bad antivirus to have for home use. That has been the case for a long time now. There's probably a McAfee uninstaller to get rid of the crud the regular uninstaller leaves behind, or do a fresh Windows install even.

I and every other IT person I know would give you this answer, OP. McAfee is malware.

abelwingnut posted:

vpn question:

so my girlfriend's job went remote a few months ago. full remote--no limitations. now her boss is saying remote is 'limited' to eastern time, where her department is located.

given what she was told, we pretty much moved to the west coast. her boss is a crazy person, and i guess we should have expected she'd renege on what she said.

regardless of that part of this situation, we want to try a vpn that makes it look like she's back in nyc. problem is, her laptop is from work, and we suspect there's tracking software on there. any way to find out? i also know they require her to use some vpn software that's installed on the machine.

what are my options here? ideally we wouldn't touch anything on her laptop. instead, there'd be an intermediary device between her machine and the router that acts as a vpn and shows her ip as an nyc one. or maybe there's some other option i don't know about. networking isn't my thing so i'm not sure what my options are here.

In addition to the tax implications, your girlfriend really doesn't want to be having to constantly lie to her boss/coworkers about this, not because it's wrong (it wouldn't be), but because it's a giant, stressful pain in the rear end to maintain that sort of lie and the necessary supporting lies over the long term.

She should just start looking for a new job now. She doesn't need to resign, just start doing the bare minimum to keep the job while she looks good something new.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

I and every other IT person I know would give you this answer, OP. McAfee is malware.

In addition to the tax implications, your girlfriend really doesn't want to be having to constantly lie to her boss/coworkers about this, not because it's wrong (it wouldn't be), but because it's a giant, stressful pain in the rear end to maintain that sort of lie and the necessary supporting lies over the long term.

She should just start looking for a new job now. She doesn't need to resign, just start doing the bare minimum to keep the job while she looks good something new.

her boss is a micro-managing perfectionist who trusts no one. and despite being on the west coast working east coast time with ZERO lapses over the last six months, the boss still insists my gf be physically located on the east coast. makes zero loving sense.

in any case, i'm not asking for this to be a permanent solution--we're really trying to buy a few months so she can start applying to new jobs. the boss wants her back in new york next week (yes, she wants her to fly back, even with omicron spreading like wildfire, and even with her nephew just being born a week or two ago and being around her family for the first time in two years. and when i say back, i don't mean back to the office. my gf's never been to the office and the department is all remote. the boss just wants her physically in the eastern time zone. your guess is as good sa mine.) so we're at least trying to buy a little time. again, this person is toxic and just completely loving moronic. so yea, we just want a couple of months here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

her boss is a micro-managing perfectionist who trusts no one. and despite being on the west coast working east coast time with ZERO lapses over the last six months, the boss still insists my gf be physically located on the east coast. makes zero loving sense.

in any case, i'm not asking for this to be a permanent solution--we're really trying to buy a few months so she can start applying to new jobs. the boss wants her back in new york next week (yes, she wants her to fly back, even with omicron spreading like wildfire, and even with her nephew just being born a week or two ago and being around her family for the first time in two years. and when i say back, i don't mean back to the office. my gf's never been to the office and the department is all remote. the boss just wants her physically in the eastern time zone. your guess is as good sa mine.) so we're at least trying to buy a little time. again, this person is toxic and just completely loving moronic. so yea, we just want a couple of months here.
I think a good short-term solution would be to try to get a doctor to write her a note that advise against traveling right now (if you have access to healthcare). That should buy her a bit of time, hopefully.

Getting fired because you won't move 3000 miles is going to be easier to explain than getting fired because you tried to circumvent IT security protocols. Start checking on unemployment eligibility now, prepping for that, see if she can just grey rock her boss in the meantime. If she's eligible and you can afford to survive on unemployment for awhile, just plan on getting fired (those are big "ifs," I realize). Is this a large company with, like, an HR department, or a small-business tyrant situation?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

abelwingnut posted:

vpn question:

Yes, it's doable, and pretty much the way you describe: another device (whether a computer or router) establishes the VPN connection to a server in New York and allows other devices to connect through it, and those other devices don't even know there's anything wonky about the way they're connecting to the Internet. Your girlfriend's laptop can even use its own corporate VPN to connect to the company stuff -- that VPN will just be tunneled inside your VPN to NYC, and it'll connect to the corporate server from there.

I have essentially this same setup at home, though for a slightly different reason: I made a separate wireless network that uses a VPN-connected machine as its gateway, so that any device in the house (laptops, phones, IoT smart junk, whatever) can be on the VPN without having to mess with the software on each device.

Unfortunately, setting this up in the first place is a little involved. If you happen to know a sysadmin/netadmin socially, bribe them with their favorite beverage to assist. Here's the cliff's notes version of how I would set this up:

On an extra computer (a crappy old laptop will work great), get the VPN to NYC up and running to your satisfaction. Then set it up for Internet connection sharing -- this can definitely be done on Linux and I believe there's a way to do it in Windows as well. Finally, on your girlfriend's work laptop, change its networking settings from automatic (DHCP) to manual (static); in particular you'll need to change its "gateway" address from what it normally is (usually your local router) to the IP of the Linux/VPN laptop you set up earlier. At that point, if all has gone well, the work laptop will be communicating out through the laptop's encrypted tunnel to New York and have no idea that it's doing so -- and it can do anything it wants to from there, including establishing another VPN.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
A thing to consider is that it’s trivial for IT to detect a VPN IP address. If you think her boss is going to go so far as to check her IP location, he’d check that as well. Complain to his boss, or if he doesn’t have one, just be super sarcastic every time he asks if she’s back on the east coast. “Yes chuck, I absolutely flew back across the country on your whim, just like you asked. Sure did.”

California has all kinds of pro-employee laws that other states don’t, like non compete agreements are illegal there, for example, so that might be why he doesn’t want her there. In which case, ask a lawyer.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
My sister asked this question "Is there a video game where you had to use an old-style oil can to grease hinges in order to open a door?"

I have no idea what she's asking about. Any help would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

TATPants posted:

My sister asked this question "Is there a video game where you had to use an old-style oil can to grease hinges in order to open a door?"

I have no idea what she's asking about. Any help would be appreciated!

I feel like that might have happened in a silent hill game, but I can't think of when specifically it would have been.