Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I read it as sight distance. Ie if a kid was in that zone the driver wouldn't even know to brake. They would probably just hear a small thump.

Modern cars have too much baffling for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Treehugger/status/1478397695060594694

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goon homework: watch who framed roger rabbit

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gonna be more freeway than housing soon. Is probably already more road than housing

https://twitter.com/jawshv/status/1478141643777712129?t=YlKoSVBhN4IW7dZ0v0hYYg&s=19

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

icymi, War on Cars did an interview with the journalist who took this pic. He was given the car to test drive and hated every second of it. He was able to talk to some of the design engineers, and when he brought up the "front blind spot" the engineers had no idea he could possibly be referring to.

ban cars

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HAHAHAHAHA

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

NoU posted:

icymi, War on Cars did an interview with the journalist who took this pic. He was given the car to test drive and hated every second of it. He was able to talk to some of the design engineers, and when he brought up the "front blind spot" the engineers had no idea he could possibly be referring to.

ban cars

Can you link it? I'd love to listen to it.

edit: to be clear im as lazy as a motorist who doesn't want to park anywhere but the first two spots in the lot.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Gonna be more freeway than housing soon. Is probably already more road than housing

https://twitter.com/jawshv/status/1478141643777712129?t=YlKoSVBhN4IW7dZ0v0hYYg&s=19

if you count garages and parking lots....lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

for every public housing we build for a car let's also build public housing for a person

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Can you link it? I'd love to listen to it.

edit: to be clear im as lazy as a motorist who doesn't want to park anywhere but the first two spots in the lot.

https://thewaroncars.org/2021/01/27/test-driving-the-2021-cadillac-escalade-with-andrew-hawkins/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cool av posted:

for every public housing we build for a car let's also build public housing for a person

We did that and they even have communal dining facilities and work stations on premises

Makes bikes seem super awesome iyam

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Update to this 1979 question is yes

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

NoU posted:

ban cars

How about we install a front facing camera with a projector on the roof beaming the precious images of mangled toddlers everyone is so desperate to see onto the hood? Maybe the camera will have captured the lovely parenting(or lack thereof) that led to the child being in the road in the first place.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Kicked Throat posted:

How about we install a front facing camera with a projector on the roof beaming the precious images of mangled toddlers everyone is so desperate to see onto the hood? Maybe the camera will have captured the lovely parenting(or lack thereof) that led to the child being in the road in the first place.

Rather than blaming the parents, you know what would be really awesome?

Not having a deadly no-go zone in front of every urban/suburban house.

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
Yeah the journalist brings that up too; basically the car is huge, and the only reason it has a bunch of other "safety" features is because of its size. If it was just smaller, those wouldn't be needed. But if the car was smaller, macho shitheads and soccer moms wouldn't be feel superior to everyone else on the road!

I live right by an elementary school, and I think the first 20-30 seconds of my bike ride are the most harrowing. Tons of huge SUVs going 30mph on tiny side streets to drop their kids off at school. I love focusing on not dying in those 30 seconds! And also the rest of my bike ride!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kicked Throat posted:

How about you go play in traffic?

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

NoU posted:

Yeah the journalist brings that up too; basically the car is huge, and the only reason it has a bunch of other "safety" features is because of its size. If it was just smaller, those wouldn't be needed. But if the car was smaller, macho shitheads and soccer moms wouldn't be feel superior to everyone else on the road!

I live right by an elementary school, and I think the first 20-30 seconds of my bike ride are the most harrowing. Tons of huge SUVs going 30mph on tiny side streets to drop their kids off at school. I love focusing on not dying in those 30 seconds! And also the rest of my bike ride!

more More MORE

I live by an elementary school as well. It's a waldorf school so a lot of parents drive from God knows how far. At pickup time there is a school security/crossing guard who stands in the street guiding parents in an orderly fashion. He dances and spins and twirls and makes a big show of it in high vis and traffic wands. People say it looks like he's having fun but I know the truth is you have put on a loving circus performance if you expect cars to notice you standing in the street.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Shamelessly stealing from the bazinga thread but I can't believe the thing everyone predicted would happen to extra car lanes, but underground The Loop actually happened:

MomJeans420 posted:

I like the solution for getting out of problems when the tunnel has a traffic jam

https://twitter.com/pixelnull/status/1479133655796797442?s=20

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Jan 6, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
oh BTW, the 12ft of usable tunnel diameter in these musktunnels would be theoretically big enough to run london Victoria Line undergound trains (11'3")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8QKPgRa7sM

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kicked Throat posted:

:gb2gbs:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kicked Throat posted:

shut up nerd

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

its kind of wild that 20-30 feet from everyones front door is a broad strip of horrible death that must be avoided at all costs and many people will die for their right to access the death strip

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
General interest youtuber Julian O'Shea raises a good point I'd never really considered about streets, maps and their relationship to cars in his latest video. Melbourne's Swanson Street is one of the city's busiest and most important but is closed to car traffic. How do maps represent it? I'm sure you can guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgZbEPFF6w

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jan 6, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

its kind of wild that 20-30 feet from everyones front door is a broad strip of horrible death that must be avoided at all costs and many people will die for their right to access the death strip

i used to describe traffic as the blood price we are willing to pay for transportation, when i delivered pizza

it weirded the other drivers out but it wasn’t the only thing i did which had that effect

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

Update to this 1979 question is yes

lol love how that could be any city in the US

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

for a moment i thought you were talking about covid but i realized this was just the prevalent cultural attitude all along

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1479173556739190789

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

an actual frog posted:

General interest youtuber Julian O'Shea raises a good point I'd never really considered about streets, maps and their relationship to cars in his latest video. Melbourne's Swanson Street is one of the city's busiest and most important but is closed to car traffic. How do maps represent it? I'm sure you can guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgZbEPFF6w

SO THAT'S WHY

my first time in melbourne i was confused why this giant road was so tiny on google maps

melbourne seems to be a great city for no cars (in the inner city at least), i enjoyed getting around drunk as hell on trams

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

good content in the replies to this reddit post with people reminiscing on how they and their family members came inches from death or were unaccountably maimed or killed by objects coming through their windshields while driving their cars

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/rxycae/what_is_this_steel_object_that_flew_through_my/

abolish the automobile

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really enjoy the few weeks of the year when university classes aren't in session and the streets are completely empty. It's crazy that so many of them drive to class every day. You're here for four years. It's probably your only opportunity to use a functional bus system. Take advantage of it!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really enjoy the few weeks of the year when university classes aren't in session and the streets are completely empty. It's crazy that so many of them drive to class every day. You're here for four years. It's probably your only opportunity to use a functional bus system. Take advantage of it!

American carbrain rot starts before these kids even know how to talk, taking the bus just doesn't occur to them. It usually takes being forced into it (study abroad, poor, dui) for someone to appreciate the benefits of good public transit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

American carbrain rot starts before these kids even know how to talk, taking the bus just doesn't occur to them. It usually takes being forced into it (study abroad, poor, dui) for someone to appreciate the benefits of good public transit.

Most of them come from wealthy suburbs that don't even have buses. They drive very nice carsSUVs/trucks and don't handle our little old streets well. I do give the university credit for discouraging cars on campus, but many students just rent parking spots from a private lot. It's a great and necessary introduction to non-suburban life though, and I'm sure many come out wanting better from their own communities.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They can't afford to live on campus so they commute from elsewhere.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Has anyone noticed the anti car sentiment increasing recently? I was on a discord chat yesterday where folks are sort of all over the geographical and politely spectrum and I was like "hey guys cars might be bad" and everyone was like "hell yeah". Was a little odd seeing as I've been given the weirdo treatment most times I bring this up.

I wonder how long if ever it would take for public opinion to sway enough to get real infrastructure built.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skooma512 posted:

They can't afford to live on campus so they commute from elsewhere.

That describes a good number of them. I think most students want to live off campus for the freedom. Most are coming from luxury gated condo communities on the edge of town or student-oriented 4br/4b houses. Another pool is lower-income students who rent older apartments that don't have good bus access (this was me in college).

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/miatkowski/status/1479181084768276487?t=0DRm4ddcP-Q1xCs9MSW5VQ&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Has anyone noticed the anti car sentiment increasing recently? I was on a discord chat yesterday where folks are sort of all over the geographical and politely spectrum and I was like "hey guys cars might be bad" and everyone was like "hell yeah". Was a little odd seeing as I've been given the weirdo treatment most times I bring this up.

I wonder how long if ever it would take for public opinion to sway enough to get real infrastructure built.

I think the pandemic WFH has gotten a lot of people to realize how much they hate driving and traffic

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we should take this thread on a fieldtrip to AI and see how it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short