Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I must have missed the deep cut, but I was also watching at midnight and so I might not have been awake enough...?

The bar was Tosche Station, and the two humans were Luke's friends Fixer and Camie, who appeared there in a deleted scene from ANH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I must have missed the deep cut, but I was also watching at midnight and so I might not have been awake enough...?

The couple in the bar were Fixer and Camie, two of Luke's friends from Tosche Station. (Their scenes were cut from ANH, part of the stuff that set up Biggs as a character, but they were left in the NPR radio play from back in the day.)

(edit: beaten)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You know what? Go ahead and sprinkle some Lawrence of Arabia over my Star Wars, that’s just fine by me.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Me 15 minutes into the episode: oh dammit more flashbacks, come on, stick with the story
Me 30 minutes into the episode: I couldn't care less about the other storyline more of this goddammit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gonz posted:

Black Krrsantan out of loving NOWHERE.

i was so blown away by that i half convinced myself it was just another Wookie who looked like him

also after this ep I'm convinced the badass Tusken turns about to be super hot and they fall in love and then she gets murdered, classic western tale like

e: oh yeah i swear i recognize the voice of the mayor's translator box voice but i can't think of who

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Robot Style posted:

The bar was Tosche Station, and the two humans were Luke's friends Fixer and Camie, who appeared there in a deleted scene from ANH.

kazmeyer posted:

The couple in the bar were Fixer and Camie, two of Luke's friends from Tosche Station. (Their scenes were cut from ANH, part of the stuff that set up Biggs as a character, but they were left in the NPR radio play from back in the day.)

(edit: beaten)

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kazmeyer posted:

Me 15 minutes into the episode: oh dammit more flashbacks, come on, stick with the story
Me 30 minutes into the episode: I couldn't care less about the other storyline more of this goddammit

:yeah: This episode was pretty great all around.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe we can finally see what they look like? Only thing from Google is a 1 panel picture of someone.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

site posted:

e: oh yeah i swear i recognize the voice of the mayor's translator box voice but i can't think of who

Robert Rodriguez voices the mayor's translator.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe we can finally see what they look like? Only thing from Google is a 1 panel picture of someone.

The one you're referring to is from a Legends nightmare sequence, so there's no guarantee it was even meant to be canon back then.

Place your bets on whether the tribe that adopted Boba gets wiped out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Do you mean the people in the bar from their original scene that was cut?

edit: ah you were talking about the Tuskins without their wrappings.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Yup. They're listed in the credits, but I was watching with subtitles on and she says something off screen and gets an identifier and I flipped out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

kazmeyer posted:

Yup. They're listed in the credits, but I was watching with subtitles on and she says something off screen and gets an identifier and I flipped out.

I'm getting old and the credits were too small for me to read comfortably. :sweatdrop::corsair:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

The one you're referring to is from a Legends nightmare sequence, so there's no guarantee it was even meant to be canon back then.

Place your bets on whether the tribe that adopted Boba gets wiped out.

Either that or they show up in the last episode to help save the day and whoop just all the rear end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Robot Style posted:

Robert Rodriguez voices the mayor's translator.

oh yeahhhhhh lol thanks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

site posted:

i was so blown away by that i half convinced myself it was just another Wookie who looked like him

also after this ep I'm convinced the badass Tusken turns about to be super hot and they fall in love and then she gets murdered, classic western tale like

I'm gonna guess Boba doesn't give one good goddam about running the crime syndicate. At some point his "tribe" is going to be completely wiped out, and his taking over Jabba's territory is one big ruse to set everyone up so he can kill them all. Hell, he might pull "Fistful of Dollars"/"Yojimbo" and play them against each and then kill what's left over.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm getting old and the credits were too small for me to read comfortably. :sweatdrop::corsair:

Good luck trying to even pause and FFW'd with the loving GARBAGE Disney+ app. Why can't these people just steal Netflix's move forward/back? Even Amazon Prime is garbage.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Good luck trying to even pause and FFW'd with the loving GARBAGE Disney+ app. Why can't these people just steal Netflix's move forward/back? Even Amazon Prime is garbage.

It's so-so on the apple tv- I can jump a few seconds but yeah it's bad.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Davros1 posted:

I'm gonna guess Boba doesn't give one good goddam about running the crime syndicate. At some point his "tribe" is going to be completely wiped out, and his taking over Jabba's territory is one big ruse to set everyone up so he can kill them all. Hell, he might pull "Fistful of Dollars"/"Yojimbo" and play them against each and then kill what's left over.

I think if they fridge anyone to make Boba go berserk it's not the hardcase Tusken chick it's gonna be the kid.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vintersorg posted:

There was a really cool (and no longer canon) retelling of the Tusken history in KotOR where they heavily imply Tatooine is the origin of humanity and Tuskens are just human

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujqn_aSeN0

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Nelson Mandingo posted:

For people who are "Who's that wookie?"

That's Black Krrsantan. He's one of Boba Fett's contemporaries and a powerful and dangerous wookie bounty hunter. Most wookies are peaceful and erudite and live in harmony with nature and each other. Black Krrsantan is a sociopath who relishes in violence and the hunt. Wookies are hunted and captured by Trandoshans and sold into slavery and there is a massive enmnity between each other. Krrsantan committed some crime and left Kashyyyk and willingly volunteered to be a gladiator. He relishes killing other wookies and trandoshans in gladiator games. Hence the comment Boba makes about how he's not just some sleepy Trandoshan guard who Krrsantan will easily defeat.

I had no idea, thanks for posting this!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

temuera morrison isn't white

that said who gives a poo poo star wars is all homages and pastiches, I love this Lawrence of arabia/dances with wolves poo poo

seconding the poster who theorized this is all going to be some Fistful of Dollars type scheme

also the whole "why is boba fat" thing is driving me crazy. tem is stacked and barrel chested, he's just not built lean. dude's not fat

also he's built basically the same as he was as Jango, who was also noticeably stockier than OT Boba, so if anything skinny nerd OT Boba is the one that's wrong :colbert:

wheres my special edition II where thick Boba is painted over skinny Boba

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skinny nerd Boba got headtail

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Nah. There was no reclamation or subversion. It was just a white savior narrative played straight. A colonizer narrative is a colonizer narrative. White people don't colonize because they are bad, white people are bad because they colonize.

Plus the creators are white. Having a person with some Maori ancestry tell a Native American story with some Lawrence of Arabia thrown doesn't make it OK.

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 5, 2022

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Nah. There was no reclamation or subversion. It was just a white savior narrative played straight. A colonizer narrative is a colonizer narrative. White people don't colonize because they are bad, white people are bad because they colonize.

Plus the creators are white. Having a person with some Maori ancestry tell a Native American story with some Lawrence of Arabia thrown doesn't make it OK.

counterpoint: it's OK with me

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mandrel posted:

I am very comfortable with racism because I don't see it. It isn't that big a deal and SJWs are always complaining about nothing.

Good for you man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I look forward to the outrage articles.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

There's been a few "maybe" Tuskens that have appeared over the years, but I hope the show has enough restraint to leave them a mystery.

I think the earliest potential unmasked Tusken was a character named Taggor Bren, who was designed for a series of Star Wars trading cards in the 90's. He was intended by the artists to be an unmasked Tusken, but Lucasfilm nixed the idea so his backstory was rewritten to make him a moisture farmer who was kidnapped and raised by the Tuskens.

The same line of trading cards would also take a stab at depicting an unmasked Boba Fett.

Next there were the "Grave Tuskens" from the Jedi Knight game. These guys were Tuskens who were picked up from Tatooine by a Dark Jedi and turned into his private militia.

The Grave Tuskens apparently went maskless to honor a character named A'Sharad Hett, who was similar to Taggor Bren in that he was a human raised by Tuskens:

The comics around this time would also show a possible unmasked Tusken during one of Anakin's dreams, but it could just be a more monstrous interpretation of the Tusken mask:

And I think the most recent attempt to illustrate a maskless Tusken is from the Dawn of the Jedi comics, where an ancient alien race called the Kumumgah are depicted. These guys are apparently the distant ancestors of both the Jawas and the Tuskens, so it's possible that the modern-day versions don't look much like them.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Robot Style posted:

This is the Internet, son. You can just post the 40 year old deleted scene released sort of in 1999 and in full with the 2011 Blu ray releases and is right now under the Extras menu for ANH on Disney + that you're spoiling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0Ak4OKhy0

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This week's episode was dope as gently caress. Music was great. Action was great. It looked great. Cool — even if cliche — story beats. I am admittedly a sucker for this type of narrative (The Last of the Mohicans, The Last Samurai, and Avatar are some of my favorite genre films). Best of all though, god drat BLACK MOTHERFUCKING K showin' up :neckbeard: He looks amazing in live-action :allears:

[edit] They didn't stealth cast Aphra for this show did they? Oh maaan if they did.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 5, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Plus the creators are white.

That must be news to Robert Rodriguez

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gettin mad about a classic western plot in star wars lol. ive seen some crazy poo poo throughout this galaxy but that's one for the books

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Let them wallow in their white guilt then? But I dunno, if you wanna go on tirades about how this poo poo is problematic or whatever, no one's gonna stop you I guess lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Smythe posted:

gettin mad about a classic western plot in star wars lol. ive seen some crazy poo poo throughout this galaxy but that's one for the books

Well it can't be racist if it's a classic

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well it can't be racist if it's a classic

tusken raiders aren't real

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Its sad that temuera morrison is racist against tuskens.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

am0kgonzo posted:

Someone quote the SMG thing with Mace Windu.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

am0kgonzo posted:

Phew, thanks for clearing that up.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

teagone posted:

Someone quote the SMG thing with Mace Windu.

oh god please no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Speederbike training montage while temura/boba has that big silly toothy grin is why I want to keep watching this show.