Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CubicalSucrose posted:

Do NOT assume you're good. Sell to cover could be as little as 22% federal, which could easily be lower than your marginal tax bracket.

This this this. My RSUs sell to cover at only 22% regardless of my (higher) marginal rate or withholding elections. With a lot of RSUs you could be very short on taxes due, plus penalties. I got hit with this last tax year.

I withhold extra from my regular paycheck now to close the gap some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I just opened a traditional IRA with Vanguard so I could do a backdoor conversion on it rather than contribute directly to my Roth IRA, as it's possible I'll exceed the income limit this year. But now that it's open I can't seem to contribute to it. If I select it under Accounts>Holdings and choose "Contribute to IRA" or "Buy or Sell funds", my only options are my taxable brokerage account and my existing Roth IRA. Do I need to wait a day to be able to transact on it or something?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm pretty happy with my Roth IRA in a TDF and my roll-over is basically all in a TDF as well. If this does trigger a tax event because of the previous page of conversation, I will probably re-visit it (honestly, a lot of the stuff is over my head). But it doesn't seem like I have enough to warrant looking into it any deeper. The brokerage account is small, and is a 3-fund Boglehead at 85/15 (total stock, total international and total US bond).

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I opened a Vanguard brokerage fund last year after maxing out my Roth IRA. After reading the last couple of pages I checked on my brokerage fund, in which I initially bought some TDF but have since put nearly everything into VTSAX, and yep, I've got some capital gains listed in recent transactions. I figure the damage is done for 2021, but is it worth selling the ~3k I have in TDF in my brokerage and buying a matching amount of other funds to avoid this mix-up in the future, or am I likely to generate more taxes in doing so than if I just leave the TDF amount alone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm pretty happy with my Roth IRA in a TDF and my roll-over is basically all in a TDF as well. If this does trigger a tax event because of the previous page of conversation, I will probably re-visit it (honestly, a lot of the stuff is over my head). But it doesn't seem like I have enough to warrant looking into it any deeper. The brokerage account is small, and is a 3-fund Boglehead at 85/15 (total stock, total international and total US bond).

it won't trigger a tax event because both your Roth IRA and 401(k) are tax advantaged. You don't pay taxes on capital gains in those accounts.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

As you're seeing now, holding the target date fund in a taxable account introduces significant tax drag, although it's not usually anywhere near as much as this particular instance. But having to pay taxes on $25k in gains to get out of it is not great either, and I'm not sure we can tell you whether it makes sense to sell. I certainly wouldn't invest any more into it.

Yeah, I stopped putting money into VFORX a long time ago in favor of putting more into my 401k. These days I'm fortunate enough to get to the 401k max for me and my wife, and I'm putting more into an HSA.

Leperflesh posted:

As far as MJP's question: you can decide when to sell VFORX (and pay taxes on your gains) whenever it makes sense, perhaps in consultation with your tax preparer; but in the long term, yes, you should consider shifting to tax-efficient investments in your taxable account, and shift investments within your tax-advantaged accounts to restore the overall portfolio asset balance that you want to have, year by year. I do not think target retirement funds are generally appropriate for people to hold in taxable accounts.

So should I be talking first to my accountant about whether it's a good idea to move to tax-efficient investments? Or should I just go straight to a fee-based fiduciary with that question?

Edit: should I maybe talk with them about backdooring the VFORX? I've got a Roth that I haven't contributed to thanks to being income restricted.

Unrelated q: I think I'm carrying way too much cash in my HMB savings account, which will soon really suck compared to inflation. It's way more than enough to exist for six months of $0 income. Is there a bond ETF or some other secure vehicle to hold this stuff until it's not losing money in a savings account? CDs suck, of course. I figure I'll revisit the situation in six months or so but still, it's starting to seem like a long term issue if I don't do something with the savings.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 5, 2022

Jows
May 8, 2002

MJP posted:

Unrelated q: I think I'm carrying way too much cash in my HMB savings account, which will soon really suck compared to inflation. It's way more than enough to exist for six months of $0 income. Is there a bond ETF or some other secure vehicle to hold this stuff until it's not losing money in a savings account? CDs suck, of course. I figure I'll revisit the situation in six months or so but still, it's starting to seem like a long term issue if I don't do something with the savings.

You could hop on the ibond train like many of us are doing.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Jows posted:

You could hop on the ibond train like many of us are doing.

Yes I decided my emergency savings was about 2-3x what it should be so went the Ibond route (2021, 2022) plus a chunk into VDADX, which is my pet brokerage fund. Remainder will be split between HMB (did sign up for their credit card and I am just using it for a single recurring expense) and my local bank.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I think I'm gonna convert my e-fund to 50-75% ibonds and the rest in my capital one account over the next few years. Can't think of any reason I'd need the slightly extra liquidity of keeping it all in cap1.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I want to park some money for emergencies . I’ve maxed out my ibond. Where should I put the rest ~60k?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Milosh posted:

I want to park some money for emergencies . I’ve maxed out my ibond. Where should I put the rest ~60k?

A HYSA.

Also bought our ibonds today. Gonna be funny when everyone rushes out of i-bonds some day.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

HMB (did sign up for their credit card and I am just using it for a single recurring expense)

I ended up doing this too, and will put all my utilities payments on it to get the 3% back for that category. I have a 2.5% card with no categories so it doesn't make sense for me to use the HMB card for more than one category.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wouldn’t you need a crazy amount of utilities for that to cover the annual fee?

Or are you you doing all the hoops for getting the full savings interest rate? The new 2.5k direct deposit requirement was too much for me.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MJP posted:

Edit: should I maybe talk with them about backdooring the VFORX? I've got a Roth that I haven't contributed to thanks to being income restricted.

You said the VFORX is in your taxable account, right? So are you asking about selling it first (realizing capital gains in the process), then transferring the cash to an IRA and backdooring that?

Generally it's a great idea to maximize your use of tax-advantaged accounts before dealing with taxable. If you need to sell some of the target date fund in order to do so, that sounds like a pretty decent plan. If you don't, then the question of whether to sell is not really related to backdooring at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

529 plan chat incoming. We don't have a kid yet but are planning to have one or two at some point and inevitably they are going to cost a lot of money to educate. I know I can open a 529 plan pretty much everywhere, and that most of the drivers of decision are expense ratios of available funds and any sort of state level tax incentives.

I'm in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the 529 plan looks pretty good. Run by Fidelity, target date funds at 15bps, and we can deduct up to $2,000 on our state income taxes (which is substantially less than we owe). Is there any reason to shop further? I might be able to get better ERs somewhere but I lose the tax breaks, and we're likely to remain in Massachusetts for the foreseeable future.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

You said the VFORX is in your taxable account, right? So are you asking about selling it first (realizing capital gains in the process), then transferring the cash to an IRA and backdooring that?

Generally it's a great idea to maximize your use of tax-advantaged accounts before dealing with taxable. If you need to sell some of the target date fund in order to do so, that sounds like a pretty decent plan. If you don't, then the question of whether to sell is not really related to backdooring at all.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm asking. I've already maxed my wife and my 401k contributions for last year and will do again this year, we're maxing HSAs, and we're giving a bunch to charity enough to help make a dent (and also because it's the right thing to do). I've also made some after-tax contribs to the 401k, which I'm OK with halting. No kids so no 529. If there's other tax-advantaged stuff I can do, I'm all ears.

Is there some way to backdoor without selling? I wasn't aware that I could just backdoor the stocks themselves.

many goons posted:

ibonds

Dumb q: is an ibond just an iShares ibond ETF? Also someone mentioned they can be maxed out, is there a limit to how much one human can own of an ibond ETF?

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 5, 2022

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Wouldn’t you need a crazy amount of utilities for that to cover the annual fee?

Or are you you doing all the hoops for getting the full savings interest rate? The new 2.5k direct deposit requirement was too much for me.

I am shooting for the 3% rate. My job lets me split my direct deposit so I only have to put in the $2500/month.

Jows
May 8, 2002

MJP posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm asking. I've already maxed my wife and my 401k contributions for last year and will do again this year, we're maxing HSAs, and we're giving a bunch to charity enough to help make a dent (and also because it's the right thing to do). I've also made some after-tax contribs to the 401k, which I'm OK with halting. No kids so no 529. If there's other tax-advantaged stuff I can do, I'm all ears.

Is there some way to backdoor without selling? I wasn't aware that I could just backdoor the stocks themselves.

Dumb q: is an ibond just an iShares ibond ETF? Also someone mentioned they can be maxed out, is there a limit to how much one human can own of an ibond ETF?

Series I Savings bonds https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_ibuy.htm

You can only buy from the gov. They're not tradable. They adjust to inflation. You can buy $10k per year electronically and you can buy another $5k in paper bonds with your tax return.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

529 plan chat incoming. We don't have a kid yet but are planning to have one or two at some point and inevitably they are going to cost a lot of money to educate. I know I can open a 529 plan pretty much everywhere, and that most of the drivers of decision are expense ratios of available funds and any sort of state level tax incentives.

I'm in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the 529 plan looks pretty good. Run by Fidelity, target date funds at 15bps, and we can deduct up to $2,000 on our state income taxes (which is substantially less than we owe). Is there any reason to shop further? I might be able to get better ERs somewhere but I lose the tax breaks, and we're likely to remain in Massachusetts for the foreseeable future.

Assuming this is the next best place to put your money (which seems pretty safe as you're a thread regular), this seems like a great option to me. Consider instead (or possibly in addition to) something like an UTMA

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MJP posted:

No. I'm just saying, if you can afford to max your IRAs and backdoor them without selling your target date shares, then the question of if or when to sell them is entirely unrelated and is still just a matter of when you want to pay the taxes.

If, on the other hand, you need to sell some of the target date shares to afford the IRA contributions, it would seem to me a pretty clearly good option.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

...we can deduct up to $2,000 on our state income taxes (which is substantially less than we owe). Is there any reason to shop further?

That $2000 is a deduction, not a credit. It won't reduce your taxes by $2000; it will reduce them by $2000 × <state tax rate> (which is 5% in MA).

Fidelity is already pretty good. You're not going to find a better deal to offset potentially losing the state tax deduction.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
FINE thread I bought some ibonds today. (Well, initiated yesterday.) No Medallion needed. YOU WIN.

Fun fact, if you edit the html on the page by inspecting the password field deleting `readonly="readonly"` then you can mash capslock and type your password in. Don't hit shift, they uppercase it in their systems to make them non-case sensitive. No need to use their dumb keyboard, they aren't doing any tricks behind the scenes with a hidden variable or transform. (Lookin at you, citibank.) I'm sure some enterprising goon could make a tampermonkey script or whatever the kids are doing these days to make this work naturally, making password manager style passwords easy to use. :v:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

SpelledBackwards posted:

I just opened a traditional IRA with Vanguard so I could do a backdoor conversion on it rather than contribute directly to my Roth IRA, as it's possible I'll exceed the income limit this year. But now that it's open I can't seem to contribute to it. If I select it under Accounts>Holdings and choose "Contribute to IRA" or "Buy or Sell funds", my only options are my taxable brokerage account and my existing Roth IRA. Do I need to wait a day to be able to transact on it or something?

It's quirky as hell to get to it with their new interface since it's still a mix of new/old :newlol:

1. go to MyAccounts/Account overview/Holdings Summary and scroll down to the SOURCE IRA
2. then click on "Account balance detail"
3. then look up at the section in brown "My accountsBalances & holdingsGOON—Traditional IRA Brokerage Account—42069" and CLICK there!
4. then you see "ConvertToRoth" in the header

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

Assuming this is the next best place to put your money (which seems pretty safe as you're a thread regular), this seems like a great option to me. Consider instead (or possibly in addition to) something like an UTMA

Thanks. Yeah, it is. We max 401(k) and IRAs, zero debt, big ole e-fund, pile of money saved for a house down payment, and we're pushing a bunch of money in to taxable brokerage accounts because we don't really know what else to do with it. Good problem to have, for sure.

The UTMA gives me a bit of concern because all control over the money goes to the child at age 21. It might be drawn down a bit by that point, but I was not equipped to properly handle a 5 figure transfer of money at age 21. You raise a good point and it might be good as a supplemental vehicle, though. And if kyoon griffey iii doesn't go to college, we can still get the money out of the 529 without too much penalty - contributions are returned untaxed and you pay (income) taxes on any capital gains.

One question I have is around contributions - I doubt we contribute more than $15K a year total across grandparents etc but is the $15K limit per individual contributing (eg I can contribute $15K and my parents can also separately contribute $15K) or what? I suspect it's in total but I can't quite figure it out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

I am shooting for the 3% rate. My job lets me split my direct deposit so I only have to put in the $2500/month.

Now that Ive fully thought it through, I guess I'll try this too.

2500 - Direct Deposit
2000 - Transferred to other banks for normal use
500 - Saved

I'm assuming I'll have to withdraw 1 quarter a year (this savings is mostly for home improvement/maintenance) making its interest 0.

15000 - In HM
450 - 3% return, 3 of 4 quarters
188 - only 3 of 4 quarters minus 1% interest otherwise
200 - minus 60 annual fee plus 1% more cashback on $600/m utilities (maybe half as much depending on how things code)

The hassle is only just barely worth it for $200/y.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Harveygod posted:

That $2000 is a deduction, not a credit. It won't reduce your taxes by $2000; it will reduce them by $2000 × <state tax rate> (which is 5% in MA).

Fidelity is already pretty good. You're not going to find a better deal to offset potentially losing the state tax deduction.

ah drat, well, still uhh a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

MJP posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm asking. I've already maxed my wife and my 401k contributions for last year and will do again this year, we're maxing HSAs, and we're giving a bunch to charity enough to help make a dent (and also because it's the right thing to do).
You are donating shares directly from your taxable account, yeah? The charities don't have to pay taxes on your gains, so kill two birds with one stone there.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I don't think you can do it before you die, but you can earmark traditional 401k/IRA money for charity and you're functionally giving them pre-tax money that grew tax free.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

acidx posted:

I don't think you can do it before you die, but you can earmark traditional 401k/IRA money for charity and you're functionally giving them pre-tax money that grew tax free.

You can. It doesn't give you a deduction at tax time (because you were never taxed on it to begin with), but it does count towards your RMDs.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ah drat, well, still uhh a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks

It’s still a guaranteed return of 5% realized each year in addition to saving for college

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ungratek posted:

It’s still a guaranteed return of 5% realized each year in addition to saving for college

it's a guaranteed return on $2K and kyoon griffey III's effete private NESCAC undergrad institution is gonna be like $90K/year at this rate

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

You are donating shares directly from your taxable account, yeah? The charities don't have to pay taxes on your gains, so kill two birds with one stone there.

Actually no, I'm just donating via Charity Navigator. Regular ol' donations, cash. Mostly it's helped churn credit cards. I didn't even think about gifting stock instead - I might give that some thought.

Jows posted:

Series I Savings bonds https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_ibuy.htm

You can only buy from the gov. They're not tradable. They adjust to inflation. You can buy $10k per year electronically and you can buy another $5k in paper bonds with your tax return.

Oh yikes, 7% until April '22? That's not a bad "what do I do with this for a year" idea.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

MJP posted:

Actually no, I'm just donating via Charity Navigator. Regular ol' donations, cash. Mostly it's helped churn credit cards. I didn't even think about gifting stock instead - I might give that some thought.
Well, if you're trying to get rid of those target date fund shares, much better to donate them than cash out, pay the tax, and donate the smaller amount of cash. Most charities have an option to donate stock nowadays.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm in Colorado, which has a 4.55% state income tax rate and currently no limit on 529 contribution deductions, although they're introducing a 30k/year limit this year.

If I want to save the cost of attendance to a four-year private college in 18 years, what's the best way to think about saving? Would it make more sense to front load that money now? Does it make more sense to save money slowly over the years, to hedge against college costs changing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a guaranteed return on $2K and kyoon griffey III's effete private NESCAC undergrad institution is gonna be like $90K/year at this rate

Can't wait to support my kid until he's 30/trying to find himself. :toot:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

moana posted:

Well, if you're trying to get rid of those target date fund shares, much better to donate them than cash out, pay the tax, and donate the smaller amount of cash. Most charities have an option to donate stock nowadays.

Good discussion about this in thread; I need to get my wife to donate shares instead of cash. We donate many thousands each year and should be donating shares and then just replacing them at a higher cost basis with the cash we would've donated. I never even really thought about it since she does all the charity picking. We get the same tax write-off either way, right?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yep, same write off. Only small hassle is some charities will just send you a letter saying you donated 9 shares of whatever, and you have to go back and find the fmv yourself on the date of the letter.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Now that Ive fully thought it through, I guess I'll try this too.

2500 - Direct Deposit
2000 - Transferred to other banks for normal use
500 - Saved

I'm assuming I'll have to withdraw 1 quarter a year (this savings is mostly for home improvement/maintenance) making its interest 0.

15000 - In HM
450 - 3% return, 3 of 4 quarters
188 - only 3 of 4 quarters minus 1% interest otherwise
200 - minus 60 annual fee plus 1% more cashback on $600/m utilities (maybe half as much depending on how things code)

The hassle is only just barely worth it for $200/y.

May or may not be worth it but I'm willing to give it a year and decide later, assuming they don't change their rates/rules again. AMEX Bank raised their rate to 0.5% recently so that's another option.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

Would this be simplified by using say Fidelity's charitable account at a small premium? You can dump money into it for the immediate deduction then it's just check writing at your leisure.

This all assumes you're above the standard deduction federally.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Can't wait to support my kid until he's 30/trying to find himself. :toot:

go jumbos baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Keyser_Soze posted:

It's quirky as hell to get to it with their new interface since it's still a mix of new/old :newlol:

1. go to MyAccounts/Account overview/Holdings Summary and scroll down to the SOURCE IRA
2. then click on "Account balance detail"
3. then look up at the section in brown "My accountsBalances & holdingsGOON—Traditional IRA Brokerage Account—42069" and CLICK there!
4. then you see "ConvertToRoth" in the header

Turns out I needed to wait a day. I'm not at the conversion step yet. That account didn't even show up in at least one view, and the Contribute to IRA button misdirected to my Roth when I clicked it.

This morning the Contribute link worked ok sand I was able to tell it to put 6k into the plain accumulation account (whatever that's called). Once that's in, then I'll do the conversion into my existing Roth.