Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

I ended up letting my kiddo go back to preschool today, after holding him out on Monday. They seem to be taking it very seriously and have increased NPIs at the school (snack time now splits the kids among multiple rooms so they can all be far apart when eating, etc.)

I'd rather keep him out, I think, but he was pretty upset about not going on Monday. He's had two jabs now, although the last one was on 12/31, so he's not fully vaxxed yet.

I have to say that I'm not real impressed with his mask, though. The first ones we got him had a removeable 2.5um insert; of course, he removed and played with it so welp. We just got him some new masks and they're made of a shiny/smooth material that I can see light through when holding them up. I tried the blow test with them and it was no effort at all to blow out the lighter my wife was holding :ohdear:

Where does someone get child-sized masks that aren't garbage? He's 5, so we're talking pretty small.

Of course, the next hurdle will be how to convince him to wear those instead of his Marvel-themed ones . . . I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

mastershakeman posted:

around the time of this post, covid hospitalizations have set a new record, passing the previous trump lame duck era peak of 127k

I know you didn't mean it like this, but your post and my post together as they are make me feel like a really lovely parent lol :(

Edit: quoted both posts because somehow I shamefully sniped a new page

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Recently they told us to retain personnel from Christmas but not why, but everybody with three braincells figured out it's because the massive wave of callouts that is going to happen in the wake of Omicron. The company decided it would rather float people on payroll, and presumably force us to staff them beyond our normal budget, than shut down for a few months. They have already determined it is a certainty some or all of us will be infected. That's so loving grim.

Just chiming in, this is what a lot of companies should be doing. Instead of slashing staff to the bone they're retaining excess capacity so they can absorb a lot of sick leave. They can't control when you get sick, since you're exposed outside of work too, but they can prepare for it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Morrow posted:

Just chiming in, this is what a lot of companies should be doing. Instead of slashing staff to the bone they're retaining excess capacity so they can absorb a lot of sick leave. They can't control when you get sick, since you're exposed outside of work too, but they can prepare for it.

Makes me wonder if this might be the explanation for the twice as many hires in December numbers than they were expecting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

China and Western Australia are about as hardcore as it comes but we are a wildly richer country that likes to bill itself as the leader of the free world with the best everything so we should have no problem improving on their implementations

China and WA are in a different situation because they locked down early and kept trying to maintain zero covid. Having million cases every day requires completely different measures. You can't just lock down one city, you can't just contact trace everyone, etc.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Morrow posted:

It's practical and better than running with a skeleton crew but I think you may be missing the part where companies are asking minimum wage employees to risk exposure for hours and hours with almost no further protections, such as limited hours, enhanced distancing or other measures.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

This is what giving up on COVID looks like.

The CDC is giving cover to businesses to squeeze an extra week of productivity out of people because “only” a fifth or maybe a third of known positive cases still pose a danger to everyone around them. Might as well just mandate that half the workforce get COVID this week then schedule the other half to get COVID next week.

If even halfassed lockdown lite is a political nonstarter, if most businesses would rather have their entire workforce in person rather than ever go back to virtual despite worst case scenario numbers, and if nearly all of society isn’t participating in self imposed mini-lockdowns avoiding dumb poo poo like eating indoors in fast food places, then collectively we’ve given up too.

The only redeeming thing about Omicron is the double vaxed keep describing it as just fatigue and a bad sore throat for a few days, and the two triple vaxed positives I’ve spoken to were essentially asymptomatic.

Now it’s a wait and see game of how much the vaccines protect us from Long COVID, which at least subjectively I’ve seen it does incredibly well.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anecdotally, but 50% of the triple vaxxed people I know that have omicron are mild colds, 25% was pretty lovely cold that laid him out for a couple of days, 25% doctor advised to go to ER for antibodies otherwise similarly knocked out and rough for a few days. All of them were 65+, boosted in August or September, no known prior infection.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Zarin posted:

I ended up letting my kiddo go back to preschool today, after holding him out on Monday. They seem to be taking it very seriously and have increased NPIs at the school (snack time now splits the kids among multiple rooms so they can all be far apart when eating, etc.)

I'd rather keep him out, I think, but he was pretty upset about not going on Monday. He's had two jabs now, although the last one was on 12/31, so he's not fully vaxxed yet.

I have to say that I'm not real impressed with his mask, though. The first ones we got him had a removeable 2.5um insert; of course, he removed and played with it so welp. We just got him some new masks and they're made of a shiny/smooth material that I can see light through when holding them up. I tried the blow test with them and it was no effort at all to blow out the lighter my wife was holding :ohdear:

Where does someone get child-sized masks that aren't garbage? He's 5, so we're talking pretty small.

Of course, the next hurdle will be how to convince him to wear those instead of his Marvel-themed ones . . . I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

My kids are 3 and 5 and I've got them wearing the Bluna KF94 kid size. They fit well enough that my 5 year olds teacher asked where we got them so she can recommend them to other parents.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MadJackal posted:

The only redeeming thing about Omicron is the double vaxed keep describing it as just fatigue and a bad sore throat for a few days, and the two triple vaxed positives I’ve spoken to were essentially asymptomatic.

Now it’s a wait and see game of how much the vaccines protect us from Long COVID, which at least subjectively I’ve seen it does incredibly well.

My distant family circle experienced Delta covid and now Omicron in less than two months. They are double vaxxed (not boosted). They also had covid last year. No hospitalization but winded and pounding headaches that are similar to migraines.

This isn’t to poo poo on vaccines btw (get boosted folks) but more to point out how reckless the US government is with giving into covid. It is no different from the 2020 Trump admin.

Covid ain’t a one and done thing.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

My distant family circle experienced Delta covid and now Omicron in less than two months. They are double vaxxed (not boosted). They also had covid last year. No hospitalization but winded and pounding headaches that are similar to migraines.

This isn’t to poo poo on vaccines btw (get boosted folks) but more to point out how reckless the US government is with giving into covid. It is no different from the 2020 Trump admin.

1. Everybody is going to get mild covid in the next month and it will be over forever.
2. Lalalalalala I can't hear you.

:smith: I wouldn't put money on that but it appears that we have put a six-figure total of human lives on it, so... let's see how this goes.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh! I told the thread I would update you on my covid test experience today. Got there 45 minutes before it opened. Left three hours after it opened. Outstanding.

Not a big deal for me personally to sit in my car collecting sick pay for four hours dicking around on SA, but what a disaster.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 5, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Yep, just had another one. 37M triple Moderna, third shot 12/7, likely exposed at an office Christmas party 12/18 by a person who later tested positive, presented as mild rhinorrhea and a mild sore throat for a few days. Not even a cough. The guy basically treated it as a paid vacation.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

1. Everybody is going to get mild covid in the next month and it will be over forever.

:smith: I wouldn't put money on that but it appears that we have put a six-figure total of human lives on it, so... let's see how this goes.

Yeah it is indistinguishable from right wing talking points in 2020. Again this is why folks will get triggered or whatever when those taking point come up and are suddenly deemed “reasonable”. In the end, the dems are cool with just as much bloodshed as the republicans.

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh! I told the thread I would update you on my covid test experience today. Got there 45 minutes before it opened. Left three hours after it opened. Outstanding.

Not a big deal for me personally to sit in my car collecting sick pay for four hours dicking around on SA, but what a disaster.

Hopefully it is negative.

And this is a bit wild. I was seeing Fox News stories about how Biden told people to google test sites and I thought they were being disingenuous about a comment Biden made earlier about how test sites are available if people just look.

Then I see this:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1478761964327297026?s=20

Why is he so incredibly tone deaf? Where are the free tests his admin said would be mailed to folks?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mellow Seas posted:

In December '20 I got COVID, mild headache 3 days but gave it to my GF. Same symptoms really. Lucky.

Interim - both fully vaccinated and boosted.

I'm basically playing hermit since omicron, working from home, etc. but she is employed at a regional hospital pharmacy so *has* to go to work, plus is a trained vaccinator so has extra shifts vaccinating people. I am rather resigned that we'll both get omicron but it doesn't mean I should act irrationally. If omicron wants me it's still going to have to work for it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

How are u posted:

it's going to spread and burn itself out no matter what

For my sake, it loving better

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
It is interesting? how variable responses are. My family all had it in January/February last year pre-vaccines, my wife immediately lost sense of taste and smell and lost it for about 3 weeks, while I had a headache and slight fever that resolved after a few days, then a full week later got a sore throat and lost smell/taste for about 3 days. I normally have general sinus congestion, and my sinuses were oddly and pleasantly clear the entire time. Figure that + 3 Moderna and I don't even know if I will notice if I get Omicron (hopefully).

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 5, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

MadJackal posted:

Yep, just had another one. 37M triple Moderna, third shot 12/7, likely exposed at an office Christmas party 12/18 by a person who later tested positive, presented as mild rhinorrhea and a mild sore throat for a few days. Not even a cough. The guy basically treated it as a paid vacation.

Have you seen many cases of people who are more vulnerable? Finding actual data on how immunosuppressed people deal with COVID in general, let alone Omicron is super difficult.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

It is odd how variable responses are. My family all had it in January/February last year pre-vaccines, my wife immediately lost sense of taste and smell and lost it for about 3 weeks, while I had a headache and slight fever that resolved after a few days, then a full week later got a sore throat and lost smell/taste for about 3 days. Figure that + 3 Moderna and I don't even know if I will notice if I get Omicron.

Sadly this is unknowable. Some folks react poorly regardless of vaccine and health status. Other don’t even know they have it. It’s pretty insane how little we still know and yet the Biden admin’s covid policy is basically:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1478738712406147078?s=20

And the policy for getting tested is just “google it”.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

enki42 posted:

Have you seen many cases of people who are more vulnerable? Finding actual data on how immunosuppressed people deal with COVID in general, let alone Omicron is super difficult.

Depends on how immunosuppressed. I don't have many patients on immunomodulators or standing doses of oral prednisone, but I've got plenty asthmatics on Symbicort who aren't presenting any differently if they're at least double vaxxed. I have one confirmed and one pending positive COVID cases in their 60s who are triple vaxxed presenting as one or two days of vague fatigue without any other symptoms.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

For my sake, it loving better

There's no reason to assume that's going to be the case based on anything that has happened so far.
For all the talk of "omicron is milder" for vaccinated people it's kinda important to remember that with the OG and Delta, vaccinated people didn't really get it at all (they did, but certainly not anything close to what we're seeing right now)

We should be loving terrified it's learning to evade the only defense we've got against it, especially since we've seen vaccinated people can get infected by different strains in a matter of months

Every person we let get sick is another cosmic dice roll for this thing to get the chance to mutate again
We are globally and nationally playing a very stupid game hoping that the virus benevolently will evolve to something less likely to harm us for reasons

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

MadJackal posted:

Depends on how immunosuppressed. I don't have many patients on immunomodulators or standing doses of oral prednisone, but I've got plenty asthmatics on Symbicort who aren't presenting any differently if they're at least double vaxxed. I have one confirmed and one pending positive COVID cases in their 60s who are triple vaxxed presenting as one or two days of vague fatigue without any other symptoms.

I'm on standard anti-rejection stuff (maybe slightly on the high side). Tacro, prednisone, mycophenloic acid. Everyone seems to be in the dark about specific risk levels. There's some stuff floating around from pre-vaccines (which is holy poo poo bad levels) but very little post-vaccination data that I can find.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why is he so incredibly tone deaf? Where are the free tests his admin said would be mailed to folks?

They are in process, according to the Administration:

quote:

The Biden administration is finalizing contracts for 500 million rapid COVID-19 tests that it plans to distribute for free to Americans who request them, spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Tuesday.

Psaki did not share details on how soon the tests will be available. The administration, she said, is in the process of finalizing the contracts and expects the first shipment from manufacturers to come soon.

The website to be used to request the free tests will be up and running later this month, she added.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-administration-finalizing-purchase-covid-tests-be-distributed-free-2022-01-04/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MadJackal posted:

This is what giving up on COVID looks like.

The CDC is giving cover to businesses to squeeze an extra week of productivity out of people because “only” a fifth or maybe a third of known positive cases still pose a danger to everyone around them. Might as well just mandate that half the workforce get COVID this week then schedule the other half to get COVID next week.

If even halfassed lockdown lite is a political nonstarter, if most businesses would rather have their entire workforce in person rather than ever go back to virtual despite worst case scenario numbers, and if nearly all of society isn’t participating in self imposed mini-lockdowns avoiding dumb poo poo like eating indoors in fast food places, then collectively we’ve given up too.

Is there any general sentiment among doctors about how well the CDC has been doing and how worth listening to they are? My understanding is their reputation has gone from stellar to a complete joke, and I wonder if there's any way back from that

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So this story about Novak Djokovic came across my news alerts in the past hour, and I know we have several AUS posters here, so I'd love to hear what you folks think about this situation. Also please correct me if I'm mistaken or incomplete in anything I've typed here.

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1478841793693237255?s=20

Quick explainer of the situation, he's been anti-vax in the past and vaccines are required to get a visa to enter AUS. He somehow got a medical exemption through a blinded evaluation process, but now his visa has been cancelled. The only ways to qualify involve either being unable to medical take a vaccine, having significant heart issues, having a severe reaction to a previous vaccine or having been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past six months.

What I'm curious about in particular are the dynamics between those evaluating exemption cases, the national government and the national tennis authority. If he got COVID-19 in the past six months, he should be allowed to stay, but if he didn't then why was he given an exemption in the first place? Do folks domestically trust this process to be fair? Is Tennis big enough (like say FIFA or the IOC) domestically to put their thumb on the scales?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

Is Tennis big enough (like say FIFA or the IOC) domestically to put their thumb on the scales?

All evidence points to Tennis thinking it is but being wrong

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Someone in the good auspol thread said a few days ago this would be amplified as a shiny distraction ball while NSW and VIC start their healthcare collapse. Voila.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has the Biden administration said anything about how long boosters will be free?

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's no reason to assume that's going to be the case based on anything that has happened so far.

Why. The scientific consensus is that Omicron is a less severe variant.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How are people catching it this often? Are they grocery workers or doctors or something? I'm not doubting you, but I know nurses who haven't gotten it 3 times and have been working the entire time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bearinabox posted:

No it's not, it's too early for scientific concensus. And even if it was, there is definitely no scientific consensus saying that the next variant will be milder.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bearinabox posted:

If you go by the fact that it made vaccinated people sick instead of nothing at all it's actually not "less severe". That's a worse outcome for vaccinated people than delta or alpha. The baseline isn't "not dying" for vaccinated people it's not getting sick like 90% of the time.

As to how many completely unvaccinated people it kills well the jury would still have to be out on that but considering we hit a high on hospitalizations today I would be interested on seeing breakdowns based on vaccination status for current cases but it may very well be just as deadly for unvaccinated folks as the others and if that's the case then you certainly can't call that "less severe"

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

No it's not, it's too early for scientific concensus. And even if it was, there is definitely no scientific consensus saying that the next variant will be milder.

If you go by the fact that it made vaccinated people sick instead of nothing at all it's actually not "less severe". That's a worse outcome for vaccinated people than delta or alpha.

Wow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

No it's not, it's too early for scientific concensus.

Can you define scientific consensus please? And which community will it have to be consensus within for your definition to be met?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kid's middle school is distributing 1 free home test to each student next week due to the holiday Covid concern.

A week and a half after she goes back to school from holiday break.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 6, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

As to how many completely unvaccinated people it kills well the jury would still have to be out on that but considering we hit a high on hospitalizations today I would be interested on seeing breakdowns based on vaccination status for current cases but it may very well be just as deadly for unvaccinated folks as the others and if that's the case then you certainly can't call that "less severe"
Any breakdown like this basically requires age cohorts, given how we know covid works. Also, because the elderly are (a) actually extremely vaccinated even here in the United States, and (b) the most likely to die of covid or be hospitalized with it, even if vaccinated.

Those two factors in combination create a pretty substantial base/rate issue. I remember reading with Delta that the mean age of death was like 20 years higher for vaccinated people than unvaccinated.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

edit sorry wrong thread

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Literally all the people flouting "less severe" are just comparing general outcomes and not breaking it down to compare unvaccinated, vaccinated, and boosted outcomes between alpha/delta and omicron (at least not that I can find)
So yeah, broadly more people are getting sick and overall not as people are dying as they would be if this was entirely analogous to delta but if the unvaccinated people are still dying at the same rate and the vaccinated people are now having worse outcomes (dying, hospitalized, or just getting cold symptoms) that's objectively worse than before.

Here's one of the journal articles people are throwing around to say "less severe": https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2787776

And the important bit in their discussion:

quote:

Further research is needed to determine if the differences between waves are affected by preexisting acquired or natural immunity (44.3% of the adult South African population was vaccinated as of December 20215 and >50% of the population has had previous exposure to SARS-CoV-26) or if Omicron may be less pathogenic than previous variants.

dwarf74 posted:

Any breakdown like this basically requires age cohorts, given how we know covid works. Also, because the elderly are (a) actually extremely vaccinated even here in the United States, and (b) the most likely to die of covid or be hospitalized with it, even if vaccinated.

Those two factors in combination create a pretty substantial base/rate issue. I remember reading with Delta that the mean age of death was like 20 years higher for vaccinated people than unvaccinated.

Good point. We very well could've burned through the most susceptible by this point so even if it holds steady that could even begin to suggest that healthier/younger people are dying than would have with alpha/delta.
I don't know how anyone can begin to untangle this numerical clusterfuck, especially in the US when who knows how many states are Florida-ing it up when it comes to reporting

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lemming posted:

Is there any general sentiment among doctors about how well the CDC has been doing and how worth listening to they are? My understanding is their reputation has gone from stellar to a complete joke, and I wonder if there's any way back from that

The circle of physicians I regularly talk to is pretty small, just friends from residency at this point, but we're all floored at just how disconnected every big leadership organizations' recommendations have become.

The CDC's recommendations are too complex for dumb people. YOU CAN TAKE YOUR MASKS OFF*! is what every unvaccinated idiot heard. QUARANTINE IS OVER AFTER 5 DAYS!** is what every positive dicknoser is now hearing. No exaggeration, I was in the mall the other day and overheard in the long vaccination line, "They said COVID is over after five days." No one hears the part about strict N95 masking for days 6-10.

The American Heart Association recommends against healthcare workers taking the time to put on an N95 before coding COVID patients.

And my own Medical Megacorporation's worthless nursing administrators today held a brief meeting letting us know either a nurse or an MA in the office tested positive yesterday. Oh, and my MD boss' husband tested positive over New Years and she worked yesterday after two negative swabs. She called out sick today, and the only other remaining MD in the office other than myself has called out sick this entire week. New company guidelines are to get tested five days after exposure if we're asymptomatic. No home kits will be provided, and we were asked not to "overwhelm" the same day office or our own nurses with too much testing.

I used a mobile testing van on the walk home this evening instead of my own office's rapid testing machine today, but I think tomorrow I'm going to have a nurse show me where the swabs are and how to use the goddamn thing myself.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 6, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

It being rabidly more infectious would contradict this conclusion and is, in fact, factually untrue already

unless you mean lower relative to what it could have been if it was delta level deadly and omicron level infectious or something but that seems like a strange point to be making

This complaint doesn't make sense unless you think omicron is milder because it's more contagious. They're two different things, one makes the peak higher and the other makes it lower.

Also hospitalizations in South Africa are decreasing and the peak was lower than with delta, so it isn't self evident that omicron will be worse (this is not the same as causing 0 hospitalizations).

The really weird thing is, it sure looks like by the time it's done the omicron wave in SA will have fewer total cases than the delta wave. I'm not sure how that happens when it grows so much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Salt Fish posted:

What is the purpose of pointing at the pile of bodies in front of us and declaring it mild?

Can you please post your sources that omicron is causing more people to die than prior types? And what does this have to do with asking another poster about what would meet their definition of scientific consensus for this discussion?