Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

madeintaipei posted:

The sucidally depressed, moon-headed item vendor sticks out. Only because I know people like that.

I felt bad for laughing.

Honestly the whole game felt like they had an idea for this one skit and decided it was enough to build a 30 hour game on its strength and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Outer Worlds felt very stretched and thin. I certainly found plenty to like but not enough to play more than once. Did walk away hopeful for what a sequel could do.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DaysBefore posted:

Outer Worlds felt very stretched and thin. I certainly found plenty to like but not enough to play more than once. Did walk away hopeful for what a sequel could do.

It's a game that really fails to be more than the sum of its parts. It's got good moments, but fails to be truly compelling and the gameplay is pretty mediocre. An alright game, but not a particularly memorable one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I found I liked Outer Worlds a lot more on the second playthrough, though it definitely helped that both DLC are actually pretty darn good story-wise

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DaysBefore posted:

I heard Brandon Adler was directing the sequel, which even without having played the first game would make the sequel an instant pre-order if true. Brandon Adler was in charge of the Pillars Of Eternity 2 DLCs, which ruled

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a game that really fails to be more than the sum of its parts. It's got good moments, but fails to be truly compelling and the gameplay is pretty mediocre. An alright game, but not a particularly memorable one.

Kind of half-assed its message too. I don't mind so much giving both sides of the question positive and negatives but it felt like far too much of a moderate take to have much impact.

Cross-Section posted:

I found I liked Outer Worlds a lot more on the second playthrough, though it definitely helped that both DLC are actually pretty darn good story-wise

One of them's a neo-noir story right? I might play that if they commit hard to the bit.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

One of them's a neo-noir story right? I might play that if they commit hard to the bit.

Yep, straight-up (corporate) murder mystery

Tbh I liked the Gorgon one a bit more, it reminded me of Dead Money mixed with a bit of Old World Blues

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Why is OuterWorlds with the DLC $120 CDN on Steam? Good grief.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Everything I remember from Outer Worlds happened on the first planet. The main one that sticks out is the employee that committed suicide being charged with vandalism for irreparably damaging company property and the fines and burial fees going to the closest living relative.

Those fees went to the coworker who found the body because she was the closest living person relative to the body or something. Extremely hamfisted.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Alright, I'm going to play New Vegas again. It's been ten years. I know this isn't a Betheda game, so it doesn't need 800 mods to make the game work, but I am going to pick a few - am I missing anything necessary, or do I have something not needed?

New Vegas Anti Crash
NMCs Texture Pack
Nevada Skies
EVE Essential Visual Enhancements
Big Enormous Gigantic Anime Titties
New Vegas stutter remover (does this one matter nowadays?)
Weapon Retexture Project
FNV 4GB patcher (is this needed?)
Interior Lighting Overhaul
Enhanced Blood Textures

That's it. Do I need the Fallout Mod Manager, as well?

thanks!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Node posted:

Alright, I'm going to play New Vegas again. It's been ten years. I know this isn't a Betheda game, so it doesn't need 800 mods to make the game work, but I am going to pick a few - am I missing anything necessary, or do I have something not needed?

New Vegas Anti Crash
NMCs Texture Pack
Nevada Skies
EVE Essential Visual Enhancements
Big Enormous Gigantic Anime Titties
New Vegas stutter remover (does this one matter nowadays?)
Weapon Retexture Project
FNV 4GB patcher (is this needed?)
Interior Lighting Overhaul
Enhanced Blood Textures

That's it. Do I need the Fallout Mod Manager, as well?

thanks!

First thought: Use Mod Organizer 2.
Second thought: There is a dedicated New Vegas modding thread, though I assume everybody who reads that one also reads this one.
Third thought: Oh right, there's this excellent Vanilla+ guide here you can follow: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html You can easily skip stuff if you want to focus just on stability, textures, and titties, but giving that guide a quick readthrough will probably tell you most of what goons would say. Follow it at least up through the Bug Fixes section, then start deciding if you like the tweaks it's offering.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madeintaipei posted:

The sucidally depressed, moon-headed item vendor sticks out. Only because I know people like that.

I felt bad for laughing.
I totally forgot about him and he was great. So two things in that game that were strongly okay.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cross-Section posted:

Yep, straight-up (corporate) murder mystery

Tbh I liked the Gorgon one a bit more, it reminded me of Dead Money mixed with a bit of Old World Blues

I'm doing the Gorgon DLC now and it's neat.

Things I love about Outer Worlds: Parvati, the fact that I organically gained a flaw for Robo-phobia and the robot companion is not exempt from causing it

Things I dislike about Outer Worlds: I hate the menu and map, I'm always hitting the wrong buttons to get where I want and I hate that there's no shortcut to bring up the map

Things that are pretty okay: Everything else

Still have a bunch left to do in both the main game and DLC's but so far it's good enough that I'll get the sequel when it comes out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Going through my first playthrough of New Vegas and I can't seem to finish Honest Hearts. I get to the final confrontation between Graham and Salt-on-Wounds, no matter if I kill or spare Salt-on-Wounds, the ending cutscene that's supposed to play doesn't. Either leaving me completely frozen in place unless I use EnablePlayerControlss if I was merciful or stuck in the small area where the final battle happens if I choose violence. How the gently caress do I proceed, is there a console command to force the ending slideshow to play?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I had fun with the settlement building, but some of the limitations felt really artificial and that I was struggling against them for a lot of it. I liked giving them a theme and purpose.

Honestly the only reason I'd like to give Fallout 76 a whirl is to try the CAMP system, but I don't have a gaming PC, and I don't want to get PS+ and fiddle around with storage space just to play a not very good game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
do NOT give Veronica energy grenades!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cheston posted:

do NOT give Veronica energy grenades!

Getting killed by a companion because you gave them the wrong weapon goes all the way back to Fallout 1. Ian :argh: Sulik :argh:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Boone with a semi or full automatic weapon will just wreck your poo poo, too. His pathing gets weird when going downslope and he always seems to end up right behind you. Can't blame him though, because it usually happens in cazador territory.

Come to think of it, companions seem to have way more trouble fighting enemies below them than above. The little Powderganger outpost by the flying school/parachute airfield comes to mind. There are a few enemies patrolling below the little cliff there and even ranged companions seem to like running all the way back and around to shoot at dudes five feet away.

The Viper canyon ambush has the same problem if you approach from the highground opposite the ambush site. I've lost Boone there for hours, as he likes to cross the road and gets stuck trying to overcome some of the weirder level geometry in that area. Great when it works though. You can guess that it's a trap, then Boone just starts unloading on the Vipers you can't even see yet. Well, he's a highly trained ambusher, he should know something is wrong.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Oddly enough ED-E always gets hung up and stuck whenever I go near that Viper ambush spot and I have to fast travel to unstick him. Same thing with the much smaller Powder Ganger ambush spot just south of Primm.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Viper ambush usually leads to ED-E trying to hunt down a nearby herd of Bighorners, and then I have to frantically sprint over there to save him.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

for me that Viper ambush is always handy for testing game stability. if I have any weird mod conflicts that aren't immediately apparent that exact spot is where they'll usually trigger a crash. I'm not exactly sure why, I'm sure it's a known thing. that first stretch from goodsprings through nipton is like a little shakedown cruise.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
On the topic of companions, I feel like companions got toned way, way down from where they used to be prior to DLCs. I remember Boone being an absolute killing machine prior to Dead Money, but nowadays if I give him a Battle Rifle and 300 rounds of .308 he wastes it all in a single gameplay sitting and I have to finish off 80% of the enemies we encounter.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think at launch the crit chance and perception bonus on his beret would get added again whenever you took it off him and put it back, so after shuffling around in his inventory a few times he'd have 100% crit chance and high enough perception to noscope anyone across the map

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

On the topic of companions, I feel like companions got toned way, way down from where they used to be prior to DLCs. I remember Boone being an absolute killing machine prior to Dead Money, but nowadays if I give him a Battle Rifle and 300 rounds of .308 he wastes it all in a single gameplay sitting and I have to finish off 80% of the enemies we encounter.

Boone used to have a bug where every time he re-equipped his beret the crit chance would stack, so that after a while every shot would have something like a 115% chance to crit.

So that's probably what you're remembering.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

youtube for some reason shows me "posts" because I watched a few New Vegas related vids

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0pWu_R4rE

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

youtube for some reason shows me "posts" because I watched a few New Vegas related vids

Nerbit and Mittensquad? I really dig NV challenge runs.

As an aside, I came to Nerbit via Youtube recommendation from watching Mittensquad. The dude knows FO3, NV, and FO4 well enough to get pretty creative on his self imposed gameplay limitations. If you've played the games as much I think we all have, you don't even need to watch the video, just listen to it. Some runs are modded, but most are only one mod or vanilla (as far as that goes on PC). Neat poo poo if you want to see what is possible. Nice Northern Irish accent, good editing, and he's not an rear end in a top hat. Sold.

Highlights:

Can you beat NV with pocket sand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tCBVLjsQo

Can you beat NV while being chased by Pvt. Kowalski?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcHVXgfCvE

Can you beat NV as a group (of companions)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmwuovFSGBM

The guy takes requests as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nobody Interesting posted:

I have the same problem, YouTube keeps sending me notifications about random NV videos from channels I've never heard about. When I mute one, another takes is place

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Nerbit and Mittensquad? I really dig NV challenge runs.

As an aside, I came to Nerbit via Youtube recommendation from watching Mittensquad. The dude knows FO3, NV, and FO4 well enough to get pretty creative on his self imposed gameplay limitations. If you've played the games as much I think we all have, you don't even need to watch the video, just listen to it. Some runs are modded, but most are only one mod or vanilla (as far as that goes on PC). Neat poo poo if you want to see what is possible. Nice Northern Irish accent, good editing, and he's not an rear end in a top hat. Sold.

Highlights:

Can you beat NV with pocket sand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tCBVLjsQo

Can you beat NV while being chased by Pvt. Kowalski?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcHVXgfCvE

Can you beat NV as a group (of companions)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmwuovFSGBM

The guy takes requests as well.

I generally like Nerbit's videos, but Mittensquad does nothing for me. I'll click on a video that looks like it has an interesting concept, and then get turned off by the fact that they have 2 dozen completely unrelated mods running as well.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

oh jay posted:

I generally like Nerbit's videos, but Mittensquad does nothing for me. I'll click on a video that looks like it has an interesting concept, and then get turned off by the fact that they have 2 dozen completely unrelated mods running as well.

Many A True Nerd is a fun one too. He knows New Vegas extremely well, and has done some very odd challenge runs, with a slightly bumbling British charm. He's currently trying to beat New Vegas using the door randomiser - the door to Ceasar's tent that you have to go through to beat the game ended up in Old World Blues, and he's currently trying to find the entrance to upgrade bunker, despite the multiple doors being scattered anywhere over the entire game. And the DLCs.

It's fun stuff.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

OldMemes posted:

Many A True Nerd is a fun one too. He knows New Vegas extremely well, and has done some very odd challenge runs, with a slightly bumbling British charm. He's currently trying to beat New Vegas using the door randomiser - the door to Ceasar's tent that you have to go through to beat the game ended up in Old World Blues, and he's currently trying to find the entrance to upgrade bunker, despite the multiple doors being scattered anywhere over the entire game. And the DLCs.

It's fun stuff.

That sounds strangely fun after my 20+ playthroughs

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
oh man. I did NOT know that Archimedes charges stack. I have ten charges for this thing now! gently caress you, cazadores!

**how am I supposed to send the power anywhere else ever again, knowing what I do now

Cheston fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 3, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's kinda poo poo to be honest. It used to also be glitched as hell

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

oh jay posted:

I watched all of mittensquad's videos a couple weeks ago I'm pretty sure he could probably just splice together random footage from all his challenges and call it a new video and his fanbase wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'd like to play the game on hardcore mode. I like all the features, except the one that lets companions die permanently. Is there a mod that anyone can vouch for that makes hardcore companions essential? Not sure which ones to trust on the nexus.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Just set them essential in the console yourself manually?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm pretty sure either Stewie's Tweaks or Jsawyer Ultimate has an option to make companions essential in hardcore

E: yep

quote:

Independent Hardcore Features - enable toggling of ammo weight, sleep healing and hired companions being essential independently of the hardcore mode

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66347

If you followed the Viva New Vegas guide you might already have this installed. You can choose which tweaks you want in an ingame menu, just select "tweaks" from the pause menu and search for companions. If you don't have it then it may be slightly overkill to get it for one setting, but there's a ton of stuff about the game it changes and it's all optional, so give it a look anyway

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 4, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cheston posted:

oh man. I did NOT know that Archimedes charges stack. I have ten charges for this thing now! gently caress you, cazadores!

**how am I supposed to send the power anywhere else ever again, knowing what I do now

Arcade has unique dialogue for each option too, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

rope kid retweeted a thing