Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

graph posted:

take steve inside imo

we’re looking for a home for him actually! my bf’s other cat Nadine is somewhat neurotic and we fear that she might just… get her rear end kicked. anyway if you’re in houston area and want a free flame point ragdoll hit me up. he’s extremely easy to pick up ans if you try to posture at him he rolls on his back.

this is Nadine. Dweeny for short

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
as for Melba, her behavior got a lot worse and I ended up finding her a better home… one that’s bigger than a single room and where two cats already live. she found her place in the hierarchy and seems pretty happy? hasn’t bitten anyone since and actually gets on the lap of her new owner which she never did with me 😢

here she is with one of the other cats in the background!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tinsel confused by snow

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goblin week posted:

as for Melba, her behavior got a lot worse and I ended up finding her a better home… one that’s bigger than a single room and where two cats already live. she found her place in the hierarchy and seems pretty happy? hasn’t bitten anyone since and actually gets on the lap of her new owner which she never did with me 😢

here she is with one of the other cats in the background!

I was wondering why melba updates stopped :/

good that both of you are happier now tho

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
she was an incredibly loving cat but her one minor problem was very severe 😞

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

bella is handling the chilly snowy morning the only way she knows how

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

goblin week posted:

she was an incredibly loving cat but her one minor problem was very severe 😞
you did right and i hope that you will find a way to have a catte in your life.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

she blames you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED TO THE OUTSIDE?!?!?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

haveblue posted:

I was wondering why melba updates stopped :/

:same:

I'm glad she has been relocated to a better space. Bye, Melba! Pls do okay

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Power is back on finally but we still recharging

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

goblin week posted:

this is Nadine. Dweeny for short

Beautiful

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Boogalo posted:

Power is back on finally but we still recharging

can never have too much Sun Tum

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does Tinsel have a cousin selling sweets in Southeast Asia?

https://twitter.com/CatWorkers/status/1478388026711629829?t=dpL6_FR5_KSbDNBq7ziH9A&s=19

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Jeeze, look at all these great cats! :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

throwback pic c. 2007: babby layla and my old cat

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Get a cat and you'll never poop alone

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

El Gar posted:

Get a cat and you'll never poop alone

What a lovely leopard slug

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

its a fuzzy buddy

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
sunshine is for sharing

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Hey Cat thread, looking for some advice. We took Rummie into the vet a few weeks back for her spaying as she is about 6 months. Long story short, she stopped breathing shortly after the anesthesia and they had to call it off. Fortunately, she recovered nicely and seems to be back to normal. The Vet wants to wait until the spring when she hopefully gains more weight, she was only 2.2Kg. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and also if she goes into heat before we can get her back in what should we do?

Fresh pic of Nadja and Rummie chilling:

https://twitter.com/SpookyWooky_/status/1478827380261064710

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They charge extra for doing a spay on a cat that's in heat so I guess there are additional complications.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
be thankful it's a she, female cats in heat are just annoying while unfixed males make messes

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Duckwaffle posted:

Hey Cat thread, looking for some advice. We took Rummie into the vet a few weeks back for her spaying as she is about 6 months. Long story short, she stopped breathing shortly after the anesthesia and they had to call it off. Fortunately, she recovered nicely and seems to be back to normal. The Vet wants to wait until the spring when she hopefully gains more weight, she was only 2.2Kg. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and also if she goes into heat before we can get her back in what should we do?

Fresh pic of Nadja and Rummie chilling:

https://twitter.com/SpookyWooky_/status/1478827380261064710

Did she have an actual arrest? Being induced for this surgery is... intended to stop the breathing so I don't really know what they were expecting - it's why they intubate the cat and put them on a ventilator during the procedure - they aren't breathing themselves. I'm a human healthcare guy not a vet at all but it's a confusing thing - unless they weren't prepared for how fast it happened or she had a CARDIAC arrest which is a much bigger deal.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

they don’t use ventilators a whole lot in veterinary surgeries, especially something minor like a spay. most animals can breathe fine on their own even intubated and under anesthesia.

the process is usually pre-op mild sedation, induction using propofol or something similar, intubation, and then a steady feed of oxygen and anesthestic gas like isoflurane through an anesthesia machine. the patient is monitored by a vet or a vet tech who will sometimes “breathe” for them based on their vitals, but thats it. I’ve only ever seen ventilators used in extreme trauma cases or cases where the chest cavity is being opened (without negative pressure, the diaphragm can’t expand and contract)

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 5, 2022

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

haveblue posted:

be thankful it's a she, female cats in heat are just annoying while unfixed males make messes
the corollary is that if there's an unfixed male you may want to separate them until their respective neuterings. if not, then it's just nuisance when she yowls.

my littermate siblings got really into each other at 6 months and i was incredibly nervous i'd have a litter of inbred babies before the scheduled surgeries but thankfully the female wasn't in estrus.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Had a friend who had their cat on the pill until he could get her spayed which kept her from going in to heat, might be a thing to check out?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pastor of muppets posted:

they don’t use ventilators a whole lot in veterinary surgeries, especially something minor like a spay. most animals can breathe fine on their own even intubated and under anesthesia.

the process is usually pre-op mild sedation, induction using propofol or something similar, intubation, and then a steady feed of oxygen and anesthestic gas like isoflurane through an anesthesia machine. the patient is monitored by a vet or a vet tech who will sometimes “breathe” for them based on their vitals, but thats it. I’ve only ever seen ventilators used in extreme trauma cases or cases where the chest cavity is being opened (without negative pressure, the diaphragm can’t expand and contract)

It's really wild that they don't need to paralyze for most surgeries or at least give enough GA for the cat to be apneic. If you already have someone (or a cat) intubated I can't imagine why they wouldn't just use some conservative ventilation since they're already on the circuit. I appreciate the info.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

the answer is likely $$$$$. veterinary medicine in general runs on razor-thin margins so most general practices get by with a single anesthesia machine, if that. even where i worked, which was a veterinary surgical specialty practice, we had four anesthesia machines but shared a single ventilator with the ER and the internal medicine department.

i would also imagine human medicine requires ventilators for GA for insurance reasons and also because $$$$$$

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alby had some trouble with anesthesia when they got him neutered but it apparently wasn't enough to stop the surgery just something to note for future procedures I guess.

But then a neuter is like three incisions, a little work with the forceps, and some sutures unlike a spay.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They neutered Rocky at the vet hospital while he was there for other stuff. Kinda blew my mind they could do it as 'While he's here and under sedation....' kinda thing.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

ha yeah neuters and especially cat neuters are pretty NBD as far as surgeries go. we only really ever did them as a "while you're add it" thing, or on employee pets. i once assisted one of the surgeons neutering his own dog and as he was about to cut, he stopped and said "actually why don't you do it?" and had me perform the whole surgery lol (guiding me the whole time of course)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m back home so bun posting resumes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I guess I’m lucky that Leo and CJ got fixed by the Humane Society right before I adopted them, but they were only 3 lb and 3 months old at the time fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
My uncle has a pig farm and he neuters the barn cats himself :ohdear: