Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

who what now? Sung Tongs is my fav Animal Collective album--who are The Residents, I want to check this out

Get all their albums, they’ve a relatively small discography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

And very accessible.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JAMOOOL posted:

100%, I feel weird claiming any AnCo album is "underrated" but Centipede is crazy good and maybe even my favorite.
It's definitely the one I replay the most 'cause my two favorite attributes of music are texture and density. It's also one of those albums that sounds completely different on vinyl.

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

who what now? Sung Tongs is my fav Animal Collective album--who are The Residents, I want to check this out
Huge influence, especially on the earlier stuff. We Tigers is basically all of Eskimo condensed to a single track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmoxMxbocU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

I loved that. Thank you.

You're welcome, although I should be thanking you for the opportunity for Sparksposting. And hey I'd never seen the music video before either.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Have you missed out on Golden Boots? Well now you can rectify your terrible life choices at least somewhat with these new old stock Bootleg Boots LPs

quote:

Shhhh..... wanna hear about a great investment opportunity? We got some Boots LPs that are priced to move. 10 bucks a record... sure the the cover art looks a little weird, BUT the LPs inside are the same great records that we've all come to love.
We've been sitting on some dead stock LP's with damaged jackets for almost 7 years now.... but, through the magic of photocopy machines, glue, and some other bands LP jackets we've been able to "fully restore" our vinyls. These bootleg art jackets might look a little different, but the records inside are in perfect condition.

here's what we got:
16 copies of "Winter of Our Discotheque"
2 copies of "DBX'n'SPF"
2 copies of "EV Coyote Deathbed Surprize"

So go get you some

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought Boris' Flood again :ohdear:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

It's definitely the one I replay the most 'cause my two favorite attributes of music are texture and density. It's also one of those albums that sounds completely different on vinyl.

Huge influence, especially on the earlier stuff. We Tigers is basically all of Eskimo condensed to a single track:

Should I assume you know about and have bought the Residents book?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Should I assume you know about and have bought the Residents book?
I need a big-rear end Taschen-style treatment, 9"x9" is for the birds. Especially for $75.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hexwren posted:

Dumptruck is good. I used to work for their frontman's wife's theater company, which is where I first encountered them. The album after that one is the only one I have on vinyl, but it's real nice

Do you know which pressing of The Mollusk that is? Been wanting to get my hands on that album for a while but everyone complains about how crappy the pressings are.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I have the 2009 Plain and it's about as bad as everyone says. dull and full of surface noise. was hoping people were just exaggerating. I guess it's not unlistenable but certainly no better than my MP3s. hard to complain because I got it at regular price, but still...I would wait on this one

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Everytime I think I'm done getting Mars Volta records in the mail another one shows up. I would pay a lot of money for this to keep going on forever.

Edit: Imgur isnt working and i cant upload poo poo to here either - it's the Landscape Tantrums release

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it's a plain

it sounds fine

idk if I lucked out, but it's not terrible. it's not like especially magical, either, it's just...it sounds fine.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've got 3 of the Plains - 12 Golden Country Greats, The Mollusk, and White Pepper. I knew to avoid the label but in all 3 cases the price was right so I jumped on it (I paid $55 total for all 3, though 12GCG didn't come with a sleeve). Mollusk and WP are both pretty bad - just flat, as though there's a pillow on the speaker. When I A/B test it with my MP3s it really isn't *that* different, but I also have quebec on Schnitzel and that one's noticeably better. They also have a decent amount of surface noise, despite being brand new. 12GCG sounds fine though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it could just be shoddy work by the pressing plant? Like I wouldn't doubt that some Plains aren't bad, if they were made at a different plant. On Discogs you can find some people claiming that a certain run is actually quite good. My theory is that there was a lot of shoddy work being done between the years of say...2009-2015. Like half the records I own released in those years have some sort of defect. Whereas the stuff I've gotten since 2018 or so has all been great. Is it just me?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got my first turntable this year for Christmas, because clearly I needed another analog hobby.

I wasn't entirely sure if I'd really get into vinyl or not, but went for a pretty decent setup and have a handful of records now. I half expected to immediately be turned off by the pops and the clicks and everything, but I used to love listening to my dad's old record collection when I was younger.

Honestly, I'm really surprised how great everything sounds. I'm really enjoying getting up and flipping records over, and the whole routine. I find myself more actively listening, rather than just turning on spotify and zoning out on the couch for a few hours. It's been great.

Now I just need more records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frozen Peach posted:

Got my first turntable this year for Christmas, because clearly I needed another analog hobby.

I wasn't entirely sure if I'd really get into vinyl or not, but went for a pretty decent setup and have a handful of records now. I half expected to immediately be turned off by the pops and the clicks and everything, but I used to love listening to my dad's old record collection when I was younger.

Honestly, I'm really surprised how great everything sounds. I'm really enjoying getting up and flipping records over, and the whole routine. I find myself more actively listening, rather than just turning on spotify and zoning out on the couch for a few hours. It's been great.

What did you get for gear

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

What did you get for gear

Denon DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge ... which might have been overboard for my first setup, but I'm loving it. The turntable's plugged into a Denon AVR-X2400H receiver, and Klipsch speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frozen Peach posted:

Denon DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge ... which might have been overboard for my first setup, but I'm loving it. The turntable's plugged into a Denon AVR-X2400H receiver, and Klipsch speakers.

Nothing says high fidelity quite like the offspring

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Nothing says high fidelity quite like the offspring

I'm a classy woman.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

pwn posted:

sporklift posted:

And very accessible.

looool, i looked up their discography

caligulamprey posted:

sweet, i am definitely going to check out Eskimo--thanks, thread!

pwn
May 27, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

I've got 3 of the Plains - 12 Golden Country Greats, The Mollusk, and White Pepper. I knew to avoid the label but in all 3 cases the price was right so I jumped on it (I paid $55 total for all 3, though 12GCG didn't come with a sleeve). Mollusk and WP are both pretty bad - just flat, as though there's a pillow on the speaker. When I A/B test it with my MP3s it really isn't *that* different, but I also have quebec on Schnitzel and that one's noticeably better. They also have a decent amount of surface noise, despite being brand new. 12GCG sounds fine though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it could just be shoddy work by the pressing plant? Like I wouldn't doubt that some Plains aren't bad, if they were made at a different plant. On Discogs you can find some people claiming that a certain run is actually quite good. My theory is that there was a lot of shoddy work being done between the years of say...2009-2015. Like half the records I own released in those years have some sort of defect. Whereas the stuff I've gotten since 2018 or so has all been great. Is it just me?

12GCG is the only Plain I have and mine sounds fine too. I’d heard about their reputation and was wary, but almost bought the Mollusk a few times based on my satisfaction with 12GCG.

I wish Schnitzel would release more Ween. And re-press Chocolate and Cheese.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Frozen Peach posted:

Welcome to the thread and please enjoy my posting gimmick where I complain constantly and try to convince everyone this hobby is stupid and not worth it while actively buying records all the time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's not really a gimmick though, I'm dead inside.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CPL593H posted:

We wouldn't have it any other way

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

I really need to get a copy of Quebec. That album and cover made me so uncomfortable that I quit smoking weed for a couple weeks when I first listened to it. Lol

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Welcome to the thread and please enjoy my posting gimmick where I complain constantly and try to convince everyone this hobby is stupid and not worth it while actively buying records all the time.

I totally agree with everything you said.

And yet here I am.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
One new, one old.

Just got Polka Party in the mail today. It was a sealed copy from Canada and apparently Canada didn't get the fancy inner sleeve, just a lyric sheet. Oh well. Weird Al is surprisingly tough to find on vinyl outside of the box set. Now all I gotta do is find a copy of Rush - Signals that isn't beat to poo poo and I'll be set on records for, like, a month tops.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

buy more records to fill the hole.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Had my first record store experience. I spent more than I intended.

Ended up getting:

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Laura Jane Grace and the Devouring Mothers: Bought 2 Rot
Taylor Swift: Red Taylor's Version (apparently this is in 45rpm ooh fancy)
Less Than Jake: Anthem
System of a Down: Mezmerize

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

Had my first record store experience. I spent more than I intended.

Ended up getting:

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Laura Jane Grace and the Devouring Mothers: Bought 2 Rot
Taylor Swift: Red Taylor's Version (apparently this is in 45rpm ooh fancy)
Less Than Jake: Anthem
System of a Down: Mezmerize
Welcome. You'll spend more than you intended every time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

I really need to get a copy of Quebec. That album and cover made me so uncomfortable that I quit smoking weed for a couple weeks when I first listened to it. Lol

wait what am i missing about the cover?

just the boys sitting at an outdoor cafe?

Hopefully you can still get the Schnitzel pressing.

Turbinosamente posted:

One new, one old.

Just got Polka Party in the mail today. It was a sealed copy from Canada and apparently Canada didn't get the fancy inner sleeve, just a lyric sheet. Oh well. Weird Al is surprisingly tough to find on vinyl outside of the box set. Now all I gotta do is find a copy of Rush - Signals that isn't beat to poo poo and I'll be set on records for, like, a month tops.

I want those :smith:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I bought this big ol' stack over New Year's weekend; probably spent too much but I got an end-of-year bonus. I was also tipsy, so $100 seemed like a decent deal. :kiddo:

(Jethro Tull, plus a Supertramp album.)

(A random guy stopped me and asked if the O'jays album "is King Crimson", ha.)

:rock:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

yea this on a proper edible can really gently caress you up emotionally

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I want those :smith:

If it makes you feel any better I paid out the rear end for Polka Party and In 3D I got years ago in a second hand shop that primarily sold appliances and furniture, so it was a stroke of super luck. And when I went to go check a local record store last month the only thing left of Weird Al's was a CD of Allapalooza with a cracked case. Dude's still popular.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My only familiarity with Ween is "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" from the THUG 2 soundtrack. I quite liked it...is the rest of their stuff fairly similar?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

My only familiarity with Ween is "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" from the THUG 2 soundtrack. I quite liked it...is the rest of their stuff fairly similar?

And very accessible.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Polka Party is worth something? Hm. I have a copy in my basement overflow of junk thrift store records.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

lament.cfg posted:

Polka Party is worth something? Hm. I have a copy in my basement overflow of junk thrift store records.

I think he did something or another with Frankie Yankovic at some point? Whole album? Duet?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

lol nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

JAMOOOL posted:

lol nope

Ha, I was skipping around Quebec (the album, of course) after posting, and you aren't joking. Here I was, hoping for a bunch of thrash metal. :smith:

I really like the album cover. Other than the colors, what bugged y'all about it?

Off the top of my head, the only album cover that I basically can't even look at is Butthole Surfers' Electric Larryland. What are some album covers that make y'all go "Oh gently caress no"?

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 6, 2022