Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Big season reveal is gonna be that tuskens are mandalorians so boba isn't a white savior checkmate jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

teagone posted:

Someone quote the SMG thing with Mace Windu.

:justpost:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

G-III posted:

Speederbike training montage while temura/boba has that big silly toothy grin is why I want to keep watching this show.

That part was so loving good. Hilarious, charming and awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kinda surprised that the heads of the Gaderffi sticks are just fire-hardened wood and not metal or at least metal plated. And that poo poo can shatter a stormtrooper helmet? Badass.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the rationale behind these blobs of pudding being crime lords?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There have been a few jacked Hutts over the years, which implies that it's crime that turns them into pudding in the first place.

Aside from that, they're incredibly long lived (average lifespan is around 1000 years), have thick weapon-resistant skin (except for chains I guess), and can regenerate lost limbs. The EU also said they managed to get lucky and overthrew one of the ancient Evil Progenitor races that was hassling their planet, and started using stolen technology to subjugate other races.

There was also a cancelled novel during the 90's that was going to reveal the Hutts are actually the larval form of giant insectoid aliens that once ruled the galaxy, and then got trapped in their current developmental state due to a bioweapon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay I've been avoiding the thread since Boba Fett started....

But I'm in the 2nd episode and I didn't realize I needed Tusken Driving School so much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Kinda surprised that the heads of the Gaderffi sticks are just fire-hardened wood and not metal or at least metal plated. And that poo poo can shatter a stormtrooper helmet? Badass.

It's not just any wood though. It's space wood. Tempered space wood. Tempered space wood sourced from a lizard-induced vision quest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hopefully we haven't seen the last of Train Droid

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Train droid did more damage to the train than anyone else did.

Also it was amusing seeing them satwarsify a steam locomotives’ control cabin lol. A glowing blue box thing as an aesthetic stand in for the port you shovel coal into…

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/rizalri46259211/status/1478331931292934145

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

teagone posted:

It's not just any wood though. It's space wood. Tempered space wood. Tempered space wood sourced from a lizard-induced vision quest.

They better watch that lizard carefully, it's the only one who knows where the space wood is!

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

That must be news to Robert Rodriguez

While he does identify as Mexican-American, he doesn't identify as indigenous. So unless all non-white people are the same that isn't the own you think it is. Also, dude collaborates a lot with Quinten Tarantino, so I'm not sure the whole "free of racially problematic elements" angle works well here.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

While he does identify as Mexican-American, he doesn't identify as indigenous. So unless all non-white people are the same that isn't the own you think it is. Also, dude collaborates a lot with Quinten Tarantino, so I'm not sure the whole "free of racially problematic elements" angle works well here.

your aim is worse than a storm trooper

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
After the chaos of WWI, a German soldier is taken in by Jews. He learns their ways, becomes even more Jewish than most Jews. When they are rounded up and put into camps, he is able to use his keen financial acumen to explain to the Nazis that instead of exterminating them or even using them as slaves, paying them a living wage will be the best way to support their war effort.

Also, all the Jews are played by Chinese actors because, hey, same thing, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you also feel this strongly when Phantom Menace had a Jewish slave owner, yellow panic Asian alien businessmen and a Jamaican with a yes massa accent?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Dances with Massiffs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Did you also feel this strongly when Phantom Menace had a Jewish slave owner, yellow panic Asian alien businessmen and a Jamaican with a yes massa accent?

I don't think this is the burn you think it is.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

https://twitter.com/lukechanelboots/status/1476194400019615746

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That reminds me, I love how dismissive Fennic was of the brand-name assassins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:hmmyes:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Was max rebo playing another well known song like the cantina one this time? Couldn’t quite place it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

There have been a few jacked Hutts over the years, which implies that it's crime that turns them into pudding in the first place.

Aside from that, they're incredibly long lived (average lifespan is around 1000 years), have thick weapon-resistant skin (except for chains I guess), and can regenerate lost limbs. The EU also said they managed to get lucky and overthrew one of the ancient Evil Progenitor races that was hassling their planet, and started using stolen technology to subjugate other races.

There was also a cancelled novel during the 90's that was going to reveal the Hutts are actually the larval form of giant insectoid aliens that once ruled the galaxy, and then got trapped in their current developmental state due to a bioweapon.

does there need to be an explanation beyond that they're big fat rich gluttonous assholes? it's not like the powerful have ever needed to be able to physically back it up themselves to hold power, particularly when the power seems to be largely inherited and backed by sweeping institutional corruption. I think their physical uselessness is part of the symbolism

who knows how they got the power originally, maybe they just lucked into a claim on a space oil well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't think this is the burn you think it is.

Not really meant to be a burn, imo. Just pointing out that Star Wars has always had problematic elements, either from writing or director decisions, or from adapting classic western tropes and white saviour narratives. It is possible to recognize these issues and still find enjoyment in a piece of fiction without also declaring that someone is okay with racism because it doesn't affect them personally.

I'm holding out for the story with the tuskens to conclude before I come down on one side or the other of whether it's truly a white saviour narrative. A few months back there was a godawful article I read about Dune 2021 claiming it was an obvious white saviour story, based solely on a film that covers less than half of the book. The book which very clearly slams the messiah complex and instead warns about the dangers of being manipulated by charismatic individuals to commit atrocities. The concept art in this episode's credits makes it pretty drat clear they're drawing on Lawrence of Arabia, which is another "white saviour" story that similarly ends in a horrible situation for the Bedouin while bastard Europeans carve up the remains of the Ottoman Empire.

If Boba Fett and the sandpeople ends with him as king poo poo of the Dune Sea with the tuskens worshipping him for being so awesome, that's one thing. If it ends with his adopted clan massacred because his actions brought down the wrath of the criminal underworld, that's another thing entirely. But it ain't finished yet, so I'm not ready to make a judgment call.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Jet Jaguar posted:

They better watch that lizard carefully, it's the only one who knows where the space wood is!

Boba's genuinely apologetic "I think I swallowed it" was loving incredible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chalk me up for another "first episode meh, second episode greatly enjoyed."

Love the unabashed western stuff. Love reclaiming Tuskens as complex aboriginal people. Loved seeing a nod to some of the comics hopefully portending more characters from it. Action scene in this ep was way better.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

As most said, this was muuuuuuuuuuch better than ep. 1 with more of the Boba we knew in Mando and the original trilogy. The bar takedown scene was great, and I guffawed at him stealing all of the speeders. Ninja Tusken was pretty awesome, and Black Krrsantan showing up out of nowhere is going to set up a pretty amazing boss fight later. One thing - two Hutts weren't fused together/Siamese twins, right? It looked like they were lying next to one another and entwined, but I couldn't clearly make it out. For the train bit, I honestly thought that it was some sort of commercial/industrial train with the guards sniping the Tuskens for fun, but the drug smuggling route was a cool twist.

It seems that Boba's "origin/rescue" story is mostly done, which probably means less Tusken flashbacks, which sucks because it's a more interesting plot than the crime lord bit, IMO. Unless we get some very groany Tusken sex scenes with Ninja Tusken. :getin:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Radio! posted:

Boba's genuinely apologetic "I think I swallowed it" was loving incredible.

as was his "I thought I dreamed that bit" after the lizard leaves :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IT BURNS posted:

One thing - two Hutts weren't fused together/Siamese twins, right? It looked like they were lying next to one another and entwined, but I couldn't clearly make it out.

I didn't get that impression at all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IT BURNS posted:

It seems that Boba's "origin/rescue" story is mostly done, which probably means less Tusken flashbacks, which sucks because it's a more interesting plot than the crime lord bit, IMO. Unless we get some very groany Tusken sex scenes with Ninja Tusken. :getin:

Well they were setting him up as an orphan in search of home/family with the geonosis/Kamino flashbacks and a man without the strength of numbers to hold his ambitious claim to Jabba's throne so I'm thinking when push comes to shove with Evil Chewie and the twins he's gonna leverage.... *extremely Duke atredes voice* desert power.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

site posted:

also after this ep I'm convinced the badass Tusken turns about to be super hot and they fall in love and then she gets murdered, classic western tale like

I think you're right but really hope not because she owns so hard. But yeah, something presumably happens for him to leave a few years down the line.

Still don't care much about the 'present day' crime syndicate stuff (although it was better this ep) but absolutely loving the flashback stuff with the tribe. Not complaining but I was under the impression they are generally supposed to be hardcore technophobes though so wouldn't have expected them to go for Boba's idea.

It's also very nuts to me to see Matt Berry listed third on the cast for a frickin' Star Wars gig.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Morrison is partially of Maori descent but I guess that doesn't count either because he looks Caucasian

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

... *extremely Duke atredes voice* desert power.

lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sentinel Red posted:

It's also very nuts to me to see Matt Berry listed third on the cast for a frickin' Star Wars gig.

Toast of Tinseltown, which started yesterday on BBC2, is based on Toast coming to Hollywood to be in a Star Wars production.

It’s like poetry. It rhymes.

I am also very angry that I have to wait to watch Toast of Tinseltown here in the US; no air date here had been given thus far.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its amazing to me that people like the woke star wars scold still exist on the forums after their great pummeling in the wake of the troubles. just really inspiring to behold their perseverance. much like the noble tusken raiders in a way

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Vitruvian Manic posted:

You’re an Alex Jones strawman liberal rant come to life.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

a Tusken Raider locking the doors on his bantha before calling the cops on the Jawas stealing boba's armor

boba's spirit quest being interrupted by a Tusken raider meekly poking his head into the tent and asking if it's not to much trouble can he borrow somebody's iPhone charger.

Tusken Raider showing boba that mayo rear end moisture farmer family getting beaten and signing "that's what we call loving around and finding out" then doing that honking noise

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mandrel posted:

does there need to be an explanation beyond that they're big fat rich gluttonous assholes? it's not like the powerful have ever needed to be able to physically back it up themselves to hold power, particularly when the power seems to be largely inherited and backed by sweeping institutional corruption. I think their physical uselessness is part of the symbolism

Yeah, it's definitely not necessary, because the design tells you everything. Lucas wanted Jabba to be reminiscent of Syndey Greenstreet, so he made him a huge fat gross slug, and the audience immediately understood what the guy's deal was.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

IT BURNS posted:

It seems that Boba's "origin/rescue" story is mostly done

And again, I'm a little pissed off because the creators fall into the "everything iconic that defines the character happens in ten minutes" trap.
Indiana Jones: Hat? Fear of snakes? Bullwhip? All acquired during one train chase.
Han Solo: Blaster? Ship? Wookiee sidekick? More or less acquired during a few days.
Old Man Fett: Gaffi Stick? Black robe? Same day.

If I have my timeline correct, it's about five years between the flashbacks (just after/during ROTJ) and "present day" (right after Mando season 2). Give the man some time to develop the look we see when he first appears in the Krayt dragon episode. Heck, give him a new "helmet" and have the tribe make him wear a Tusken breather mask for some time before he has his final look.

Some more thoughts:

I wonder where the underworld plot is going. So far, everyone in power seems to be making threats and not doing much.

As far as the Tusken story is going, I'm sensing trouble ahead. The female warrior (chief's wife? co-chief?) is clearly forming a friendship with Boba, and so far, the chief seems to like and respect the man. But when Boba was giving commands to the Pykes, it looked like maybe he was getting a little big for his britches. It may just be a matter of time before the chief feels the need to assert his authority over this upstart off-worlder.

During the vision quest, it almost looks like the Jawas have something to do with the tree. The credits production paintings actually confirm this. Huh. Should be interesting. (Then again, we've also seen a fire-breathing weasel in the Mando credits, and that was apparently cut, so maybe nothing will come of it after all.)

Still very curious to see how everything shakes out for Boba. At the moment, I have three pet theories.
1. Lord Fett:
Full-on Tusken army support in the "now" time to solidify his grasp on power - which, eh, a bit predictable.

2. I'm a simple man, making his way through the galaxy:
Boba realizes he went into the whole "crime lord" thing completely blue-eyed (which it sure looks like at the moment, and seems uncharacteristic for him), it all comes crashing down around his head, and he returns to the Tusken tribe to live out his days with them, perhaps as their leader.

3. This is my hole, it was made for me:
This is unlikely, since it's a Disney show, but they've done dark stuff before: Everything goes to poo poo. The crime empire collapses, the Tuskens are killed or he gets banished from the tribe. At the end, he returns to the Sarlacc pit and enters voluntarily. Perhaps as an act of self-sacrifice, if you want to make it a noble gesture rather than suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So... Stranger with superior skills (of any race) assisting a group of people (of any race, as long as it is different from the stranger) with inferior skills in specific conditions that are presenting a challenge to the group is automatically bad? Because that's dumb as poo poo.