Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1478803739641143297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Foone is great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's always fun to try to guess the subject of the first tweet in a Foone thread when someone posts an excerpt from later on.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1478799492170141696

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1478500436873293828?t=TzyUFSGCmLSPflG0wXq6gA&s=19

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They should just buy a big ol boat.

What's that, they tried that already? And it was a collosal failure? And they did it how many time? Smart stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1478767039481274370

How is fascism winning if all the fascists are so loving stupid?

My biggest fear with this whole NFT thing is that, even though it's the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard of, it actually is going to make hundreds of thousands of barstool billionaires who are going to lord it over us for eternity because we live in a world where the stupidest possible things are what happen.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

My biggest fear with this whole NFT thing is that, even though it's the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard of, it actually is going to make hundreds of thousands of barstool billionaires who are going to lord it over us for eternity because we live in a world where the stupidest possible things are what happen.

we're all, as a species, intensely stupid

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fascism is insanely stupid, but stupid people are energetically enthusiastic about their stupidity whereas confused non-stupid people are hesitant about the stupidity of others.

Tl/Dr the stupid are faster than the thoughtful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bel also has US support and as long as you do what they want you can be as dumb as you want

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I knew it was stupid, just not “reminder: you have to chew your food first” stupid

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A thread of curiously placed benches.

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1478453813208039427?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's almost certainly a lie, he has some kinda chronic GI thing, there were things about him needing literal poo poo suctioned through his nose or something because of some sepsis issue.

That or he keeps getting covid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cocaine Bear posted:

They should just buy a big ol boat.

What's that, they tried that already? And it was a collosal failure? And they did it how many time? Smart stuff.

I always think, you want to live on an island with no laws and tons of guns? We already have a Haiti.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Skwirl posted:

I always think, you want to live on an island with no laws and tons of guns? We already have a Haiti.

Or if you prefer colder climate; Svalbard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How in the gently caress is this guy still alive?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

sexpig by night posted:

it's almost certainly a lie, he has some kinda chronic GI thing, there were things about him needing literal poo poo suctioned through his nose or something because of some sepsis issue.

That or he keeps getting covid.

I thought getting stabbed messed up his guts

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apparently all infrastructure will be stored on the blockchain, since these are all described as residential/commercial areas. But I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get all the power and internet needs of crypto to this tiny island in the middle of the Pacific.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Clean livin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

Deal with the devil?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knormal posted:

Apparently all infrastructure will be stored on the blockchain, since these are all described as residential/commercial areas. But I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get all the power and internet needs of crypto to this tiny island in the middle of the Pacific.

It's absolutely a scam. You could maybe do something like this on an island with an active volcano and you had a few genius engineers and a lot of money to build the necessary infrastructure to use the geothermal energy. But there's also inherent dangers with living right next to a an active volcano. And you'd still have to import all your food.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

BOOKWORLD

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I think every time he "goes to the hospital" it's just another body double coming out of plastic surgery to look like him. They're on like their 17th Bolsonaro at this point.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

The more they mine, the faster they sink. It’s amazing, really

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

It's absolutely a scam.
Even if it never gets off the ground, the founders got to travel all over the world to beautiful islands for "research", no doubt funded by their marks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

nah, if only the reason that you can't spread the wealth that much. Remember this is a pyramid scheme at heart so very few will get very rich, likely those already rich. I'm still not sure if actual rags to riches bitcoin millionaires are real and not just already wealthy people just turning lots of money into more money. It's all so confusing but i think the most likely result is a tiny amount make bank and everyone else gets gently caress all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pretty much every single NFT billed as a five+-figure sum is an outright lie, a pump-and-dump scheme, or a vehicle for money-laundering. A handful of grifters are gonna make off with the life savings of a bunch of morons, and another bunch are "suddenly" going to earn a bunch of money they had already made off the books. No one who thinks this is legit is gonna make a dime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Pretty much every single NFT billed as a five+-figure sum is an outright lie, a pump-and-dump scheme, or a vehicle for money-laundering. A handful of grifters are gonna make off with the life savings of a bunch of morons, and another bunch are "suddenly" going to earn a bunch of money they had already made off the books. No one who thinks this is legit is gonna make a dime.

I'm so tempted to screen shot this and then try and sell it as an NFT, but I just don't want to put in the effort.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I'm in a weird position where someone wants to pay me for a VR animation with an NFT. Getting a Quest 2 out of the deal since I need it for development and nobody has ever paid me for what I do so it's worth the effort either way, but assuming the deal goes through is there still a direct way of turning the NFT into USD? I know when Beeple made his 30 million or whatever from his sale he immediately converted it into USD saying that NFTs were a scam, is there an easy process to follow or is it more like "Assuming someone buys your NFT you will get X amount of Etherium. Assuming you can find someone to convert that, you'll get some real money from it."

For now I'm just looking at it as being paid $400 in the form of a Quest 2 plus a token which is worth between $0 and $100,000 and which I have no idea what to do with.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
This has to be satire, there’s no way this is real

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

??? don't accept payment in nfts

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm in a weird position where someone wants to pay me for a VR animation with an NFT. Getting a Quest 2 out of the deal since I need it for development and nobody has ever paid me for what I do so it's worth the effort either way, but assuming the deal goes through is there still a direct way of turning the NFT into USD? I know when Beeple made his 30 million or whatever from his sale he immediately converted it into USD saying that NFTs were a scam, is there an easy process to follow or is it more like "Assuming someone buys your NFT you will get X amount of Etherium. Assuming you can find someone to convert that, you'll get some real money from it."

For now I'm just looking at it as being paid $400 in the form of a Quest 2 plus a token which is worth between $0 and $100,000 and which I have no idea what to do with.

I thought the whole idea is that the value is tied to the specific NFT. If you know what you're gonna get, then I imagine you can like up a buyer ahead of time and check the price (to an extent). I'm probably being naïve about this tho

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Stexils posted:

In this case it's for something I would be doing anyway as a hobby and makes me no money. If it's worth literally nothing like I expect, it's still worth it to get the Quest 2.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You would sell the NFT for Ethereum on a website like OpenSea (which uses an auction/bidding system so it might take some time to find a buyer to bid on your thing), and then you would have to move the Ethereum to an exchange like Coinbase and sell it for USD there. Then withdraw your USD balance to an actual bank account.
Depending on how much actualmoney you're trying to withdraw they might jerk you around for 4 months delaying your withdrawal while demanding more and more new documents for "legal compliance". Or just set a really low monthly withdrawal limit so they can keep the rest of the money locked up for longer.
I think mostly it's the shadier bitcoin exchanges that do that and coinbase hasn't done it so much recently? But I'm not sure.

Also you'll want to do a fair amount of research before loving around with the Eth wallet to hold your money because in the world of "be your own bank" tiny mistakes like 1-character typos can mean accidentally sending your entire balance to a blackhole permanently with no fix, or accidentally spending the entire wallet balance as a $99,998 transaction fee when you were just trying to send $2 out first to see if it worked.

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Jan 6, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stexils posted:

I would literally rather accept Pogs in payment

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In this case it's for something I would be doing anyway as a hobby and makes me no money. If it's worth literally nothing like I expect, it's still worth it to get the Quest 2.

then you can just ask for a tip in USD. if he's an annoying evangelist (since hes into NFTs i assume thats the case) just frame it as you being super tech illiterate and dont have the time/wherewithal to figure out the exchange networks

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You would sell the NFT for Ethereum on a website like OpenSea, and then you would have to move the Ethereum to an exchange like Coinbase and sell it for USD there. Then withdraw your USD balance to an actual bank account.
Depending on how much actualmoney you're trying to withdraw they might jerk you around for 4 months delaying your withdrawal while demanding more and more new documents for "legal compliance". Or just set a really low monthly withdrawal limit so they can keep the rest of the money locked up for longer.
I think mostly it's the shadier bitcoin exchanges that do that and coinbase hasn't done it so much recently? But I'm not sure.

Also you'll want to do a fair amount of research before loving around with the Eth wallet to hold your money because in the world of "be your own bank" tiny mistakes like 1-character typos can mean accidentally sending your entire balance to a blackhole permanently with no fix, or accidentally spending the entire wallet balance as a $99,998 transaction fee when you were just trying to send $2 out first to see if it worked.

seriously, does this poo poo sound like something you want to deal with?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

*laughs in Australian mate*

Yeah, we were going great until Omicron.

The states have had varying levels of success up until now. Western Australia is geographically very isolated, so they've had an easy ride (and still pretty much virus free at time of writing, but who knows?). Victoria all but stamped it out with tight lockdowns and mask laws, up till now. Not sure about QLD and NSW, but my understanding is they hosed around and found out.

The thing is, having no land borders Australia could probably have avoided the whole mess altogether by building dedicated quarantine facilities for all travelers. But immigration quarantine is the responsibility of the federal government, and the current prime minister has a strict policy of "do absolutely nothing whatsoever".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Listing an NFT for sale is going to cost you money. You are being gifted a URL that will never be worth any money to you. It's best to ignore it.

They're giving you an NFT because it's worth nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'll posit this: this guy wants to pay you with an NFT, that must be converted to ethereum, then to cash in an exchange, then to your bank account. If he refuses to offer payment in any other way, even taking one layer of this abstraction away, that dude is absolutely loving laundering money

E: like he could be a completely empty headed true believer in NFTs and wants to get evangelical about it, sure. IMO abso-fuckin-lutely still a money launderer, I do not care