Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i tanked a 89 trial in roulette with people complaining trusts were too hard and three summoners, and got yelled at for suggesting a healer lb3 when one of the summoners got the first healer up and four other people were still down. 90% of the player base has no loving idea how limit breaks work in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has anyone ever used a tank/healer LB1 or 2 to appreciable effect

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nope, I only fat finger them and feel bad about it

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I can imagine some situations where it's very close to the end of the fight, lb3 has already been used but it's charged up to lb1 or lb2 again, and a tank lb gives everyone that bit more survivability to survive a few attacks and limp over the line, but that's a real stretch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tank LB1 was our static strat in E11S. At the very end, there's a lot of damage going out and we didn't need the dps lb to beat enrage

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think one time in a DR normal my party had all its healers die and the Queen was about to raidwide. One of the dead healers was coming up for a rez, and they immediately hit Healer LB1 (with 0 MP because they had just rezzed), giving themselves and a couple other banged up party members enough HP to survive it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Whenever I get Chrysalis in roulettes I drop a friendly reminder at the start to save LB3 for melee on a comet. While it's not strictly needed (and might be more forgiving after EW stat squish/rebalance), it helps prevent misunderstandings and unnecessary salt

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tank lbs are very handy prog tools for mismanaged or missing defensive cooldowns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm a big fan of using tank lb3 to just pick your least favorite mechanic and not do it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

funniest bit I can remember is that it was a coinflip whether my ucob static could get to LB3 before the bahamut transition, so sometimes we'd just have to LB2 and throw some extra defensives on top of it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine being a veteran and being bad enough at the game that you need melee lb3 to do the chrysalis

People's brains completely turn off in the meteor section, I assume because they just expect it to end after the tear shows up.

I did see my first and only lb3-less clear when my newish friend said "do I lb?" and my other friend said "yes" and then he immediately lb3ed in P1. But the other tank and I were not idiots so we lived until they could DPS the tear normally.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's videos from when The Chrysalis was brand-spanking new content that cleared without using LB3 on the tear, it's never been a hard requirement, it just helped make up for a team doing poorly at that section.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I recently had a pug fail meteors on chrysalis (big middle one hit) but a healer just survived somehow, and then proceeded to res everyone with lb while nothing happened and we killed the tear in a confused silence and then finished the fight.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mainwaring posted:

I recently had a pug fail meteors on chrysalis (big middle one hit) but a healer just survived somehow, and then proceeded to res everyone with lb while nothing happened and we killed the tear in a confused silence and then finished the fight.

The only thing better than the baffling wipe: the baffling clear

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what's the best way to level miner/botanist from scratch these days? I'm vaguely interested in clearing out the crystalline mean (and eventually studium) but they're both around level 20, where I left them 7 years ago

in general I'd rather split it into daily tasks like beast tribes but to be honest I don't remember which expansion had the first beast tribes that could level gatherers

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trash Ops posted:

i tanked a 89 trial in roulette with people complaining trusts were too hard and three summoners, and got yelled at for suggesting a healer lb3 when one of the summoners got the first healer up and four other people were still down. 90% of the player base has no loving idea how limit breaks work in general.

I havent had a single horror story since evicting myself from Primal and these stories let me know I made the right call

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ixals have some gathering quests but namazu are the first real one. moogles are crafting only

at that level you can just gather crap in the diadem (might actually be profitable with so many people leveling crafters) or do leves

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1478687720385826817?t=kj6UmLN3Grldaee1TUPvNQ&s=19

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

what's the best way to level miner/botanist from scratch these days? I'm vaguely interested in clearing out the crystalline mean (and eventually studium) but they're both around level 20, where I left them 7 years ago

in general I'd rather split it into daily tasks like beast tribes but to be honest I don't remember which expansion had the first beast tribes that could level gatherers

I don't think gathering beast tribes start until Stormblood. You can level from 20-60 in the Diadem in like... three hours? I would do that and then switch to beast tribes/GC turn-ins.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

admanb posted:

I don't think gathering beast tribes start until Stormblood. You can level from 20-60 in the Diadem in like... three hours? I would do that and then switch to beast tribes/GC turn-ins.

will do, cheers

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cheetah7071 posted:

Leves and daily GC turn-ins are powerful. Add in Namazu at 60-70 and Qitari at 70-80. Ishgard Restoration's pretty good, too.

Broadly speaking, I'd recommend saving Leves for crafters. Wouldn't hurt to burn a few on gatherers here and there (like if you're not gonna use Leves on crafters for a while, may as well use your 6/day on something). I'd also recommend the same for Custom Deliveries.

Also, don't count out grinding. The XP is pretty good with the consumable manuals from scrips/GC squadron missions. FSH gets silly good XP from grinding once you start being able to gather big fish. Ocean Fishing out of Limsa is nice as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Make sure to get the manuals with GC seals

efb

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cheetah7071 posted:

Once you hit Heavensward you can do collectibles. They are special nodes that spawn once for a 2 hour window every 12 in game hours. You play a dumb mini game to get the quality to 1000 then use your remaining turns to farm it. They line up so you can go from spawn to spawn once you unlock a few and turns them in at the gatherer scrip turnins for multiple levels at a time.

It's a great way to level it because any time you notice the in game time is about to hit the period they begin spawning you can just teleport around for a few minutes, get a few levels then go back to whatever you were doing.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

cheetah7071 posted:

When I've leveled miner and botanist on alts (for gil-making purposes) I'd just outright go out and gather the items needed for the next set of quests as I went. I used the guides here and here for reference while I was running around, and this would generally get me to 50. To fill any gaps I'd do a gathering leve or two. For 50 to 60 the quests are annoying and stupid and I'd tend to outlevel them anyway just by taking the time to gather materials in that range that were/are still useful to sell them. Once you get to 60 you can do namazu quests, and at 70 there's the Qitari, but the general principle of Just Gather Stuff works very well to get you levelled, and has the side benefit of making you some money on the MB if the Stuff in question is a bit valuable.

Also you could also potentially do Diadem, but I find that gets a little boring after a while.

Quick edit to add that yeah, collectables are a great supplement to just grinding it out. Also don't neglect your daily GC turn-ins, you get tons of XP for those.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The aethersand nodes for Endwalker, is there a way to respawn them during the window? I know some in other expansions could do that by mining enough nodes to reset it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

The aethersand nodes for Endwalker, is there a way to respawn them during the window? I know some in other expansions could do that by mining enough nodes to reset it.

I don't know how it used to be but in EW they spawn in sets of three and respawn when you mine the rest of the set, so they're effectively unlimited.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Ugh.

I always feel bad when a group I'm in scares off a new player.

Queued up for trial roulette, got The Chrysalis. 1 person watching the cutscene, a bard. We do most the fight fine, but the bard uses LB3 too early, and every single person in chat complains. Like, I think the worst thing someone says is 'nooo why did you lb' but still, damage done. The bard DCs, we wipe (because people are bad at the mechanic we try to skip using LB3), we kick them and get a non-new player.

Sad.
i mean if that guy got scared off forever because a couple people went 'nooo why did you lb' they were gonna get scared off by something else

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I did this. I'm missing the 2nd Goring Blade about 50-75% of the time.

This was me trying out 11 GCD FoF in P1S today, along with changing up my opener and trying to transition to the 61s rotation. It hosed up my muscle memory so badly that I said gently caress it, went back to 10 GCD FoF, 64s rotation, normal opener, and then cleared with a purple 80 parse. Basically, just do what works for you, screw what XIVAnalysis tells you.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

One time something similar happened to me, where tanks messed up the meteors as we killed the tear. Everyone died, but a healer that died earlier accepted their rez and everyone was outside. Got everyone up and the clear.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bruceski posted:

If you go look at 3 other nodes, don't need to mine them, just look at what's on them, they'll respawn, IIRC.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kurieg posted:

If you go look at 3 other nodes, don't need to mine them, just look at what's on them, they'll respawn, IIRC.

That was the old system (and you only had to look at 1 node each from two different groups) but now they just constantly respawn in a circle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

admanb posted:

I don't know how it used to be but in EW they spawn in sets of three and respawn when you mine the rest of the set, so they're effectively unlimited.

Yeah, I don't know if last time I discovered them it was right at the end of a window or I didn't think to hit the button but I just found that out. Thanks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

ixals have some gathering quests but namazu are the first real one. moogles are crafting only

at that level you can just gather crap in the diadem (might actually be profitable with so many people leveling crafters) or do leves

Ixal have some quests that REQUIRE gatherers, but no quests that give experience to gatherers.

Anyway you can also do leves for Fisher for insanely cheap and level it up fast. Botanist and Miner though their leves are more tedious so you're better off with other methods.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mostly I use them at the end of dungeons after nobody uses them during the run

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been doing a bunch of crafting, and actually wound up running out of Wind Crystals... I've never had to actually go out and get more crystals before, I've always had like thousands it felt like. What's the best way to get more? Just go out there and mine some?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
gently caress that just buy it. Farming shards/crystals/clusters suuuuuucks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I used tank LB in story Garuda back during release. We had wiped a lot, and eventually decided on that strat. It worked!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

gently caress that just buy it. Farming shards/crystals/clusters suuuuuucks

Also ask any friends who don't do crafting. Some of them probably have thousands just sitting around they'll be glad to part with.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been doing a bunch of crafting, and actually wound up running out of Wind Crystals... I've never had to actually go out and get more crystals before, I've always had like thousands it felt like. What's the best way to get more? Just go out there and mine some?

Buy them for like ~120 gil a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's something you either buy in bulk or work at a little over time. I usually go get my map on whatever crystal I need and then just use the crystal skills much as i can before im out of gp.