Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The prologue explains everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It really doesnt

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Lynch Dune is fine to watch, as long as you already know at least as much about Dune as David Lynch.

You could clear that bar with a couple paragraphs, but that's still more than randos will know

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Riot Bimbo posted:

It really doesnt

A beginning is a very delicate time

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Reading every post itt in a loud dramatic whisper voice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo the villenueve version seems more coherent and understandable going in without any dune knowledge. it also has much better action sequences. but its also only half of the story.

the lynch version has better actors, substantially better set and costume design, much better music, and is more or less the complete story (with some weird additions)

but again they were a lot more similar to each other than i was expecting. i wouldn't call either of them a bad movie though they both have plenty of flaws

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The last third of Lynch Dune is basically Lynch showing shots of his vacation making Dune

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lynch if nothing else gave us a ton of good quotes, some original, some from the books but given dramatic whispers or context.
My name is a killing word.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
THE PAIN!
I didn’t say this, I was not here.
Many machines on Ix…
I must conquer the worm.
Etc

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love Lynch Dune because I'm a Dune nerd, but if you think it was anything more than a poo poo movie with some bright spots, just loving lol.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Which bits in Lynch Dune are the bad ones. I want to find out so I can skip them the next time I watch Lynch Dune

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The beginning, the middle, and the end.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

the bad bits are the bits that are bad

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If a fremen you see, then a bad part it be

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lynch Dune is great, and not only is it the best Dune we'll ever see, it's the best Dune possible.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It fill well short of its ambition, but drat that ambition was special.

It's a beautiful mess.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jodorowsky wanted dune to be like 14 hours or something which sounded ridiculous at the time but now in the age of "prestige tv" where people really do binge entire seasons in a weekend someone could probably make dune at that kind of scale and it might even be good

thats what syfy was trying to do i guess but i mean, someone with a budget and better taste

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I get that Lynch has a style and all, and a lot of the set design and costumes kick rear end, but why the gently caress is a rat duct taped to a cat?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Earwicker posted:

thats what syfy was trying to do i guess but i mean, someone with a budget and better taste

Impossible!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

rydiafan posted:

I get that Lynch has a style and all, and a lot of the set design and costumes kick rear end, but why the gently caress is a rat duct taped to a cat?

To provide Thufir with the antidote, dumbass.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vakal posted:

Impossible!

The CG of Edric in the miniseries is, IMO, one of the least insulting aspects of it. Especially when you compare it to the nightmare puppet from the space-folding scene in the first miniseries.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I discovered a new meme template while searching for images of my second-favourite progressive rock band.

It needs work but I think it's pretty good.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Muad'Dib in the Gallery
Looked down upon the covered faces
He met blue gazes observed through spaces
In between the Fremen's water

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

skasion posted:

Which bits in Lynch Dune are the bad ones. I want to find out so I can skip them the next time I watch Lynch Dune

You're in luck, because arguably the worst part is the movie itself hitting the fast forward button roughly around where Paul meets up with the Fremen.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
See what nobody will tell ya is that if you sync up and play Thick as a Brick it lines up perfectly with Lynch's Dune

E: just refreshed myself on the lyrics and it actually could literally be a song about Dune

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

The CG of Edric in the miniseries is, IMO, one of the least insulting aspects of it. Especially when you compare it to the nightmare puppet from the space-folding scene in the first miniseries.

This puppet is cumming :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

those things look creepy as gently caress so good job if that was the goal

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I guess I'll have to revisit Lynch dune if only to prove to myself that I'm not crazy for thinking DV dune is superior at every level

I know it's Cool® to hate on Zimmer but the soundtrack loving slaps in the new one

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kalel posted:

I guess I'll have to revisit Lynch dune if only to prove to myself that I'm not crazy for thinking DV dune is superior at every level

I know it's Cool® to hate on Zimmer but the soundtrack loving slaps in the new one

You're not wrong, it is superior at every level. It's clearly a labour of love made by a lifetime fan of the book, as opposed to Lynch (self-admittedly?) knowing virtually nothing about the source material. The Lynch movie is fun to watch, if you're drunk off your rear end and going into it expecting some real stupid poo poo.

Zimmer's soundtrack for the Villeneuve picture was honestly, not as mind-blowingly perfect as I wanted it to be. At least to my tastes; I expected more from him. The percussion fill right at the beginning (over the Legendary Pictures logo) made my hair stand on end, and the repeated string/choir themes were very very good, but other things about it just sort of fell flat to me - the female solo vocal during The Test scene and other points felt kind of phoned-in, as good as her belting was. The Bene Gesserit theme (whispered female choir) was excellent, and the nod to Toto's soundtrack during the scene when Jessica and Paul are surveying the desert was neat. Does the Sardaukar chant count as part of Zimmer's soundtrack? If it does, actually I guess that puts it over the bar for me into "yeah, OK, this actually rules."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I discovered a new meme template while searching for images of my second-favourite progressive rock band.

It needs work but I think it's pretty good.

Tubes are plugged into his nose
Pee and feces filtered through his clothes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As current events will tell you, having a beard and attempting a tight fitting seal with a mask is basically impossible. Shave the Fremen!

Pretty sure it's actually a point here that Duncan Idaho has his beard (as Jason Momoa usually does) before he goes to Arrakis, and when we meet him later having learned Fremen ways he's clean shaven. For someone who's lived Fremen ways all their life, they probably know how to properly wear Stillsuits with a beard, but for a newbie to Fremen ways it's easier to shave.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What? Oh, I'm afraid you misunderstood. The Fremen think Paul might be their shaver.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

skasion posted:

A beginning is a very delicate time

Oh yes, I forgot to tell you.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Zimmer's soundtrack for the Villeneuve picture was honestly, not as mind-blowingly perfect as I wanted it to be.

I thought the gom jabber vocalizing (and the dv dune version of the scene in general) was epic so I guess we can agree to disagree. my favorites besides the throat-singing guy are the music that plays right before they arrive at dune ("leaving caladan") and the music that plays during the sand crawler rescue scene ("ripples in the sand"). what I love about the soundtrack is that it uses the whole buffalo in terms of instrumentation, I love the variety on display and that different instruments feature prominently for each track/scene yet the score as a whole feels consistent and unified

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Every time I've watched the movie, I've heard things which make me swear up and down that Zimmer has listened to and taken inspiration from both the MIDI tunes in Dune by Cryo and Dune II by Westwood, as well as the music TOTO and Brian Eno produced for the Lynch movie - and that's the sort of thing that the music nerd in me really appreciates.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
What if this thread... is a killing word?

:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Is a high camp piece of art - best quote.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

The Muad'Dib in the Gallery
Looked down upon the covered faces
He met blue gazes observed through spaces
In between the Fremen's water

Sitting on a cart bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent
Spice running down his nose
Flipper fingers, smearing shabby clones

Extremely on brand for Leto to be really into prog flute solos

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Every time I've watched the movie, I've heard things which make me swear up and down that Zimmer has listened to and taken inspiration from both the MIDI tunes in Dune by Cryo and Dune II by Westwood, as well as the music TOTO and Brian Eno produced for the Lynch movie - and that's the sort of thing that the music nerd in me really appreciates.

I've seen this mentioned before but I'm not familiar with the game soundtracks, does anyone have any specific examples?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kalel posted:

I've seen this mentioned before but I'm not familiar with the game soundtracks, does anyone have any specific examples?
The thing about MIDI is that it depends on the soundcard and/or MIDI synth you have; so a SoundBlaster would sound different from an AdLib or AdLib Gold (which also sounded different from each other, but to a much lesser degree), and both would sound different from a Roland MT-32.

Here's two examples for the AdLib (which was what most were compatible with, if you didn't have a Gravis Ultrasound like me, a SoundBlaster, or a Roland):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjHon6yg-r8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKBjmJCBHw

There's also an official OST released on CD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the music I remember is available as an example too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy24vB_WamA

EDIT2: drat it, all this talk is making me want a Gravis UltraSound Extreme for my retro-rocket.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Lynch Dune is like the prequels- quotable as gently caress and also really bad.

Dune 2021 is probably the most faithful a film can be to a book like Dune. I'm really looking forward to the next installment, mainly because I wanna see how Villenueve is gonna adapt a 3 year old prescient toddler. I do not envy that task.

Though, he handled Letos bad breath scene extremely well. The sci-fi series (which is campy as gently caress tbh) made the whole confrontation between the Duke and the Baron unintentionally really funny. Ffs, they roll out Yueh's wife in a glass box :lol: