Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stingray is a great character if you've ever known that specific guy in real life and rightly loving hated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stingray is an inspiration

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Stingray is an inspiration

Or at least an object lesson.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on a Sunny rewatch and S1 Mac always yelling "Shut up!" reminds me a lot of Johnny's "QUIET!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Seriously.

Stingray is a 2012 goon who posts in YCS, talks about katanas and maybe dabbles in TFR here and there. Likely big into WoW with strong opinions about anime and craft beer.

Probably was a LF superstar back in the day carrying the Libertarian torch.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Speaking of both IASIP and Stingray, the actor who plays Stingray (Paul Walter Hauser) was in IASIP as the Juggalo that Charlie takes in under his wing in "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a pretty good guess what kind of goon Stingray would be

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PizzaProwler posted:

Speaking of both IASIP and Stingray, the actor who plays Stingray (Paul Walter Hauser) was in IASIP as the Juggalo that Charlie takes in under his wing in "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth"
With a name like that, it's only a matter of time before he seizes Nakatomi Plaza.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

With a name like that, it's only a matter of time before he seizes Nakatomi Plaza.

You mis-spelled "pizza"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

You mis-spelled "pizza"

Be right back. Gonna go trademark Nakatomi Pizza: Pie Hard, and become a billionaire pizzateer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Stingray is the cringe poster who declares everything METAL!!!!! And never grew up from being 21.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Vintersorg posted:

Stingray is the cringe poster who declares everything METAL!!!!! And never grew up from being 21.

he's a different type of cringe than that. he corrects his neighbor about Exodus' Bonded By Blood and scoffs at him for being unfamiliar with the genre. he doesn't declare everything metal, he's a meticulous subgenre classifier who will talk for 3 hours if you ask him what the best opeth album is

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
And I would love to have a beer with that guy if he wasn’t trying to hang out with 17 year olds.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What are his opinions on Star Wars, deep dish pizza and voting?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Robobot posted:

And I would love to have a beer with that guy if he wasn’t trying to hang out with 17 year olds.

The biggest problem with trying to hang out with 17 year olds is that they want to hang out with other 17 year olds, amirite?

Thankfully, you can sometimes find someone who is truly mature and unlike the other kids their age...

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Johnny even tells him to take an adult class instead his first appearance, weird that he never considers it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The biggest problem with trying to hang out with 17 year olds is that they want to hang out with other 17 year olds, amirite?

Thankfully, you can sometimes find someone who is truly mature and unlike the other kids their age...

I thought this was the other thread discussing Chapo, lol

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

I thought this was the other thread discussing Chapo, lol

I mean, it's funny either way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus I'm turning this poo poo off. I was liking this season so far but you cannot seriously put this poo poo on tv and expect me to be okay with it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus I'm turning this poo poo off. I was liking this season so far but you cannot seriously put this poo poo on tv and expect me to be okay with it.

A real case of addition by subtraction.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Mostly but they also like having someone around who's old enough to buy beer

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

DrunkPanda posted:

HOW DARE YOU! STINGRAY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE

nah he sucks and feels jarringly out of place in every scene he's in imo. feels like a child predator in the making. my least favorite character

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robobot posted:

Yeah, kinda like the Tori putting on makeup scene. You’re thinking “oh come on, please don’t make her a stripper” and the show swerves right at the end.

those costumes were Wildly inappropriate for a children's event, yikes

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Stinkray feels very true to life for me and him getting his poo poo absolutely pushed in was tragic but also long coming. He'll break though in season 5 and turn on Silver for sure.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sometimes teenage karate shows just aren’t for everyone, I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stingray is the worst. But he's supposed to be. He's every guy that's been saying for 30 years that Johnny was the real hero of Karate Kid. He's every guy that's now watching this show in a Cobra Kai pullover and completely missing the real points of the show about the circular repercussions of toxic relationships and instead is lamenting that they spend too much time on drama and not enough time on kicking rear end.

It's one thing to enjoy the hammy over the top villainy of characters like a Terry Silver or John Kreese but it's another to watch the show and think those guys are badasses. Stingray represents that kind of viewer and there's a lot of them.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 6, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a perfect assessment.

I found myself rooting for Robbie and Tori this season, everyone else was just awful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kreese is badass

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kreese is literally doing a sunday morning cartoon villain thing and it's a brilliant aspect of how on one end of the spectrum the show deals seriously with issues of relationships and trauma and finding yourself, and the more that 'karate' intrudes onto these people's lives the more everything becomes ridiculous escapist fantasy.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Rhyno posted:

That's a perfect assessment.

I found myself rooting for Robbie and Tori this season, everyone else was just awful.

I was definitely feeling pretty sympathetic to Tory, and irritated at privileged Sam's reaction to her mum trying to help her, even if there is an understandable serious historical resentment on Sam's part and she wasn't privy to every detail about what Tory was going through. Robby grated on me though, in the way that any time anyone tried to reason with him they were faced with a smug, antagonistic brick wall. I liked how they wrote in a means for him to realise he was maybe being harsh. Although in some ways it felt like quite a quick reversal, he really did gently caress up quite badly with Kenny and it would have given his inexperienced, arrogant teen arse a fair bit of new perspective (too much loving perspective, as David St Hubbins might say), so the reconciliation scene with Johnny didn't seem ridiculousy unearned. But I was full on rooting for Hawk to win the tournament. Dude deserved it. Miguel was just kind of... there, looking a bit fat and alternately disinterested or confused. He certainly didn't feel like much of a fighter this season, which fits with his character development, but I felt it hard to have strong feelings about him either way this time around, even if ultimately I definitely hope for a good outcome for him when the series ends.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone talking about Miguel being bigger, he was probably in the middle of bulking up for the new superhero movie he got cast in. Maybe that's why his part seems to now being pulled away from the rest of the cast so he can work around that for filming.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Cobra Kai aesthetic is loving cool as poo poo though - no denying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Everyone talking about Miguel being bigger, he was probably in the middle of bulking up for the new superhero movie he got cast in. Maybe that's why his part seems to now being pulled away from the rest of the cast so he can work around that for filming.

CK season 5 has already wrapped filming. Blue Beetle hasn't even started yet. He mentioned this week that he did a test fit of the suit and they're giving him more time to bulk up. So the weight gain is likely for the film but I don't think there's a scheduling conflict.

And he isn't fat.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

X-O posted:

To be fair he did look quite buff in that recruitment scene where he was oiled up and flexing and stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1417303737224269824?s=20

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Stinkray feels very true to life for me and him getting his poo poo absolutely pushed in was tragic but also long coming. He'll break though in season 5 and turn on Silver for sure.
I very much don't want the pedophile 2003-era stripmall Gamestop general manager to have a redemption arc that doesn't include him, y'know, not being that gay anymore.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look I know it's been years since the original films came out, and i understand that they feel the need to "do their own thing" but the sheer level of loving disrespect shown by the creators of the franchise to the original movies, and the art of karate itself is absolutely disgusting. When I'm watching a series I don't expect to get jerked around and betrayed in the final stretch because some dipshit director decided they needed to make a loving political statement. There's a time and place for that, and that time and place sure isn't the loving all valley tournament. The last thing I need to be seeing in the last few episodes is loving blue mats

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Look I know it's been years since the original films came out, and i understand that they feel the need to "do their own thing" but the sheer level of loving disrespect shown by the creators of the franchise to the original movies, and the art of karate itself is absolutely disgusting. When I'm watching a series I don't expect to get jerked around and betrayed in the final stretch because some dipshit director decided they needed to make a loving political statement. There's a time and place for that, and that time and place sure isn't the loving all valley tournament. The last thing I need to be seeing in the last few episodes is loving blue mats

?

?????

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Idunno if I get it either, but there are karate oldheads who insist that you can only train in a room like the Miyagi-do shrine with a sprung wood floor.