Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Government to allow Australians to dip into super to pay for RATs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I don't care if you're lying to me just tell me that isn't real.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

quote:

REPORTER: How many rapid antigen tests have you personally paid for?

MORRISON: I will have to check with Jenny, she's the one that goes and gets them. Jen's popped around to the chemist or wherever's she's gone... driving around to find one.

I just put some money Sportsbet he's going to lose.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Comstar posted:

It's going to come out later than the massive multi millionaire anti-vaccer got his medical certificate signed by his drug doctor.

people looked at the rules for exemptions and they're vague enough that if you had covid within the last 6 months you can probably manage to qualify so that's what it probably is

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Comstar posted:

I just put some money Sportsbet he's going to lose.

Atta boy.
I believe in Albomania.

Small target chess master.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Atta boy.
I believe in Albomania.

Small target chess master.
Were you holding your favourite albo body pillow when you posted this?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
News.com.au is reporting (I read it on reddit)

quote:

On December 22, the Prime Minister has previously claimed he personally sourced a rapid antigen test himself in Terrigal.

“I’ll give you an example, a real life example. I was in this situation last week, I had been at an event where I was informed that I had met someone who had Covid,’’ he said.

“I went, I got a Covid test from the local pharmacy. At Terrigal. Picked one up. Took the test. It was negative. I didn‘t need the government to tell me to do anything.”

That answer appears at odds with Mr Morrison‘s claim this week that the tests are sourced by the Department or by his wife.

News.com.au has confirmed that the test in Terrigal was not personally bought by Mr Morrison but by a member of his staff.

The Prime Minister's chauffeur-driven car pulled up at the chemist and Mr Morrison remained in the car while his staffer popped inside to buy him the test.

Murdoch is acknowledging that Scummo is doomed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A friend who now lives overseas was asking why this specifically feels like such a massive gently caress up for Morrison and I kind of found it hard to articulate. I guess because maybe it's the first thing that's affecting people simultaneously across most states? And also because he was dumb enough to openly say no, you can't have free tests and also we shouldn't generally make things free, whereas maybe if he'd kept mum and the premiers were still doing daily pressers they would have copped the questions and subsequent flack instead, regardless of whose problem/fault it actually is?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I feel like part of it is with a bunch of his previous bad decisions/actions the states basically shoved him out of the way and did their own thing, which made him irrelevant rather than harmful. That's not happening this time, so far.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

freebooter posted:

A friend who now lives overseas was asking why this specifically feels like such a massive gently caress up for Morrison and I kind of found it hard to articulate. I guess because maybe it's the first thing that's affecting people simultaneously across most states? And also because he was dumb enough to openly say no, you can't have free tests and also we shouldn't generally make things free, whereas maybe if he'd kept mum and the premiers were still doing daily pressers they would have copped the questions and subsequent flack instead, regardless of whose problem/fault it actually is?

I think there's two reasons. First, most everything about our response to COVID has been free, masks excepted (and they really should not have been excepted, but let's put that aside), so people are now being told that they have to pay out of pocket for vital services that only recently cost them nothing. Second, RATs are now extremely difficult to obtain, and putting a price on them makes them subject to hoarding and profiteering. With PCR test queries now wrapping around the block, if they're not already shut down to give their related pathology facilities time to process the backlog, RATs are now necessary for the average person to know if they are even permitted to go out. Morrison telling people that these tests will continue to be a product on the market instead of supplied by the government does nothing to address these problems of scarcity that people simply (and in some cases literally) cannot afford to deal with.

lih
May 15, 2013

Seemlar posted:

I feel like part of it is with a bunch of his previous bad decisions/actions the states basically shoved him out of the way and did their own thing, which made him irrelevant rather than harmful. That's not happening this time, so far.

they don't have the ability to solve the supply issues in the same way as the feds could have here. when morrison hosed up vaccines the states also couldn't really do anything either.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

News.com.au is reporting (I read it on reddit)

Murdoch is acknowledging that Scummo is doomed.

That is just such an own goal from Morrison. Nobody would be surprised if he said "a staffer picked on up", he's the PM, he has a security detail, logistics would get in the way of him lining up at a chemist.

But he goes with the whole everyman schtick about how he's a regular schmo, and if called out on it will no doubt double down.

lih
May 15, 2013

for whatever reason news.com.au generally seems more insulated from news corp's hard right editorial line than the rest of the murdoch press here, them being critical of morrison isn't really any sign that morrison's fallen out of favour or anything yet

if the australian on the other hand was sticking the knife in, or even just the tabloids, that's different

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

https://www.smh.com.au/national/visa-bungle-delays-novak-djokovic-s-entry-into-australia-20220105-p59m75.html

quote:

World No.1 Novak Djokovic has been told his visa has been rejected and asked to leave Australia later on Thursday.

:byewhore:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
This failure came at a critical time as well - thousands of people have been stuck in PCR waiting lines when they would normally be visiting or on the way to visit family.

People who managed to travel are at risk of a sniffle derailing their entire holiday period.

This is rightly being pinned on scummo because unlike most state leaders he has been consistently playing the "its all good, it'll work out in the end" game and guess what? It didn't work out, it's not all good, it's hosed. And he STILL isn't doing anything about it.

The worst thing is that you know he's sitting there thinking "gosh stupid omicron if only it had come 6 months later I'd be free and clear"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Sierra Madre posted:

…if they're not already shut down to give their related pathology facilities time to process the backlog…

Clinical Labs really needed to close those sites, their turnaround time was pushing five days.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

abigserve posted:

This failure came at a critical time as well - thousands of people have been stuck in PCR waiting lines when they would normally be visiting or on the way to visit family.

People who managed to travel are at risk of a sniffle derailing their entire holiday period.

This is rightly being pinned on scummo because unlike most state leaders he has been consistently playing the "its all good, it'll work out in the end" game and guess what? It didn't work out, it's not all good, it's hosed. And he STILL isn't doing anything about it.

The worst thing is that you know he's sitting there thinking "gosh stupid omicron if only it had come 6 months later I'd be free and clear"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's also one of the first times that they've gone all in on abandoning the "we're all in this together" type messaging with a policy that is clearly "gently caress poor people".

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

seeing the headline "Serbia will fight for Novak" makes me kind of nervous lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lol and also lmao.

lih
May 15, 2013

lih posted:

people looked at the rules for exemptions and they're vague enough that if you had covid within the last 6 months you can probably manage to qualify so that's what it probably is

reports are now that this is indeed what it was, but Tennis Australia had repeatedly been told previously that those exemption rules weren't acceptable so ???

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Lol and also lmao.

To reach enough people having been infected that we have herd immunity we're looking at having 20-30,000 new cases a day lol.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

To reach enough people having been infected that we have herd immunity we're looking at having 20-30,000 new cases a day lol.

Given the comment about slowing the spread I wonder if he’ll be announcing tightening restrictions today and is trying to get some “done by the end of January I promise” messaging out ahead of it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

This is actually the best thing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Given the comment about slowing the spread I wonder if he’ll be announcing tightening restrictions today and is trying to get some “done by the end of January I promise” messaging out ahead of it.

It's a combination that wouldn't make any sense. If we tighten restrictions to slow the spread then it's gonna take longer to peak.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Still utterly baffled by that comment from Morrison.

"We're now at a stage of the pandemic where you can't just make everything free, because when someone tells you they want to make something free, someone's always going to pay for it and it will be you," he said.

Like I'm trying to turn my brain into a fat wet poo poo so I can understand how he got there without considering super obvious rebuttals.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Eediot Jedi posted:

"We're now at a stage of the pandemic where you can't just make everything free, because when someone tells you they want to make something free, someone's always going to pay for it and it will be you," he said.

Like I'm trying to turn my brain into a fat wet poo poo so I can understand how he got there without considering super obvious rebuttals.
He's dumb.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_Avc6aacw

Anything going on today?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

luring antivaxxers to the arseend of the world then immediately deporting them is still a pretty good trick

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
loving hilarious. Hope the anti-vaxxer idiot cries all the way home.

Hooray (for once) for the humourless pedantic jerks in Immigration.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is this just Scotty from marketing picking a token issue he can be tough on so it looks like he’s actually doing something?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

gay picnic defence posted:

Is this just Scotty from marketing picking a token issue he can be tough on so it looks like he’s actually doing something?

bingo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Animal Friend posted:

seeing the headline "Serbia will fight for Novak" makes me kind of nervous lol

rip the arch duke of australia

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Solemn Sloth posted:

rip the arch duke of australia

Noooo warnie!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

"It's not free, you're paying for it through tax" is a stock standard right-wing talking point for literally any government service and he didn't take 5 seconds to stop and think about how well it would go down when people are, in fact, already literally paying (and getting gouged) for it anyway

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

CrazyTolradi posted:

Were you holding your favourite albo body pillow when you posted this?

Due to small target Albomania you can only get Albo as a head cushion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

snoremac posted:

He's dumb.

Yeah but I'm dumb too so this should be easy

freebooter posted:

"It's not free, you're paying for it through tax" is a stock standard right-wing talking point for literally any government service and he didn't take 5 seconds to stop and think about how well it would go down when people are, in fact, already literally paying (and getting gouged) for it anyway

Yeah but I mean, bowel cancer screening kits are free, am I supposed to get mad about them too? (yes)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
More like Novax Djokovic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Synthbuttrange posted:

luring antivaxxers to the arseend of the world then immediately deporting them is still a pretty good trick

On a similar note:

Has the Big Brother/I'm a Celebrity/whatever show that Katie Hopkins and Caitlyn Jenner came out for aired yet?