Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you go by the fact that it made vaccinated people sick instead of nothing at all it's actually not "less severe". That's a worse outcome for vaccinated people than delta or alpha. The baseline isn't "not dying" for vaccinated people it's not getting sick like 90% of the time.

It seems like you're conflating the ability of Omicron to evade the protection imparted by vaccines with the severity of symptoms it causes, which to me appears to be two different things. Is there a connection there? Not being a contrarian "let's all immediately start spitting in each other's mouths" shithead here-- I've been masking up and distancing since April 2020 and have no intention of stopping any time soon, I'm genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

an owls casket posted:

It seems like you're conflating the ability of Omicron to evade the protection imparted by vaccines with the severity of symptoms it causes, which to me appears to be two different things. Is there a connection there? Not being a contrarian "let's all immediately start spitting in each other's mouths" shithead here-- I've been masking up and distancing since April 2020 and have no intention of stopping any time soon, I'm genuinely curious.

I think the overwhelming answer has been "who the gently caress knows."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

an owls casket posted:

The problem is we are conflating the symptoms we are seeing in healthy triple-vaccinated people in the current wave to the symptoms of unvaccinated people in the first wave and saying "this is less severe"
It doesn't seem like it's as bad but it's also attacked bodies that are ready to defend against it and to be blunt a lot of old and ill people are removed from that set of people getting sick now that were in it before.

If we gave alpha and omicron the exact same population starting at zero with no antibodies/vaccines/whatever, we do not objectively know that omicron would be any less devastating to it. We do not have a control

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1478868795880091650

If it's not too technical, what kinds of factors affect whether a virus is better at infecting one kind of tissue over another, in this case deep lung tissue vs bronchial tissue?

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 6, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The problem is we are conflating the symptoms we are seeing in healthy triple-vaccinated people in the current wave

South Africa is sadly only 26% vaccinated.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

James Garfield posted:

South Africa is sadly only 26% vaccinated.

The article I posted on that page back had it as "44.3% of the adult South African population was vaccinated as of December 2021 and >50% of the population has had previous exposure to SARS-CoV-26"
Regardless of where it lands on vaccination the prior exposure counts for something, too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MadJackal posted:

The circle of physicians I regularly talk to is pretty small, just friends from residency at this point, but we're all floored at just how disconnected every big leadership organizations' recommendations have become.

The CDC's recommendations are too complex for dumb people. YOU CAN TAKE YOUR MASKS OFF*! is what every unvaccinated idiot heard. QUARANTINE IS OVER AFTER 5 DAYS!** is what every positive dicknoser is now hearing. No exaggeration, I was in the mall yesterday and overheard in the long vaccination line, "They said COVID is over after five days." No one hears the part about strict N95 masking for days 6-10.

The American Heart Association recommends against healthcare workers taking the time to put on an N95 before coding COVID patients.

And my own Medical Megacorporation's worthless nursing administrators today held a brief meeting letting us know either a nurse or an MA in the office tested positive yesterday. Oh, and my MD boss' husband tested positive over New Years and she worked yesterday after two negative swabs. She called out sick today, and the only other remaining MD in the office other than myself has called out sick this entire week. New company guidelines are to get tested five days after exposure if we're asymptomatic. No home kits will be provided, and we were asked not to "overwhelm" the same day office or our own nurses with too much testing.

I used a mobile testing van on the walk home this evening instead of my own office's rapid testing machine today, but I think tomorrow I'm going to have a nurse show me where the swabs are and how to use the goddamn thing myself.

I would have thought at the very least that it would be somewhat more stupid to tell doctors to risk death for their jobs since they'd understand the implications of those instructions more so it wouldn't be as easy to get away with, but I guess that was overly optimistic

Jesus

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zoux posted:

If it's not too technical, what kinds of factors affect whether a virus is better at infecting one kind of tissue over another, in this case deep lung tissue vs bronchial tissue?

The linked story is entirely nature promoting preprints that, at a quick glance, are all going into its own journals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

droll posted:

Can you please post your sources that omicron is causing more people to die than prior types? And what does this have to do with asking another poster about what would meet their definition of scientific consensus for this discussion?

I'm using the same standard as the poster who brought up scientific concensus in the first place; just saying things confidently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The linked story is entirely nature promoting preprints that, at a quick glance, are all going into its own journals.

It also has the answer anyway. (Also I thought nature was a reputable journal?)

quote:

These experiments also identified a plausible player in the difference: a protein called TMPRSS2, which protrudes from the surfaces of many cells in the lungs and other organs, but is notably absent from the surfaces of most nose and throat cells.

I shall read more diligently in the future!

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Literally all the people flouting "less severe" are just comparing general outcomes and not breaking it down to compare unvaccinated, vaccinated, and boosted outcomes between alpha/delta and omicron (at least not that I can find)
A couple of recent studies have attempted to do this. I posted this one from the UK a few pages back:

quote:

Technical briefing: Update on hospitalisation and vaccine effectiveness for Omicron VOC-21NOV-01 (B.1.1.529)

An update on the analysis published last week finds the risk of presentation to emergency care or hospital admission with Omicron was approximately half of that for Delta (Hazard Ratio 0.53, 95% CI: 0.50 to 0.57). The risk of hospital admission from emergency departments with Omicron was approximately one-third of that for Delta (Hazard Ratio 0.33, 95% CI: 0.30 to 0.37). These analyses were stratified on date of specimen and area of residence and further adjusted for age, sex, ethnicity, local area deprivation, international travel, vaccination status. They are also adjusted for whether the current infection is a known reinfection, although as reinfections are substantially under-ascertained, the adjustment may not have fully accounted for the effect of reinfections.

There is also this one from Canada:

quote:

Early estimates of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant severity based on a matched cohort study, Ontario, Canada

While it is now evident that Omicron is rapidly replacing Delta, due to a combination of increased transmissibility and immune escape, it is less clear how the severity of Omicron compares to Delta. In Ontario, we sought to examine hospitalization and death associated with Omicron, as compared to matched cases infected with Delta. We conducted a matched cohort study, considering time to hospitalization or death as the outcome, and analyzed with a Cox proportional hazards model. Cases were matched on age, gender, and onset date, while vaccine doses received and time since vaccination were included as adjustment variables. We identified 6,314 Omicron cases that met eligibility criteria, of which 6,312 could be matched with at least one Delta case (N=8,875) based on age, gender, and onset date. There were 21 (0.3%) hospitalizations and 0 (0%) deaths among matched Omicron cases, compared to 116 (2.2%) hospitalizations and 7 (0.3%) deaths among matched Delta cases. The adjusted risk of hospitalization or death was 54% lower (HR=0.46, 95%CI: 0.27, 0.77) among Omicron cases compared to Delta cases. While severity may be reduced, the absolute number of hospitalizations and impact on the healthcare system could still be significant due to the increased transmissibility of Omicron.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zoux posted:

It also has the answer anyway. (Also I thought nature was a reputable journal?)

I shall read more diligently in the future!

There are no "reputable journals" such that their publications can be taken at face value, let alone their promotional press arm, let alone articles that haven't finished peer review. The giant multifield umbrella journals also have particularly severe inconsistencies in the quality of their reviews.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Wang Commander posted:

People have already had omicron twice anecdotally I think, if anyone has data on that it'd be great but I've been hearing of people getting covid twice separately just since Omicron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Youth Decay posted:

I know this got probated but just to be clear, Omicron was identified in late November 2021. There hasn't been enough time for people to have gotten the same variant twice.

I also know this got probated and I can't show you data but our university medical director told us this morning on the weekly Covid call that a fully vaccinated person at our university got infected in early December, recovered, and then was reinfected this week. She did not specify if it was O -> O or D -> O, but it was in the context of someone asking if Omicron infection provided broader protection against reinfection. I rewatched the recording just now just to make sure

Yes, they know that people can have persistent infections, and she clarified that these were two distinct infections. We are PCR testing everyone twice a week, and I presume they have developed the techniques to distinguish infections.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

If we gave alpha and omicron the exact same population starting at zero with no antibodies/vaccines/whatever, we do not objectively know that omicron would be any less devastating to it. We do not have a control
I mean, ultimately what does it even matter? The important thing is that it is less severe and less likely to result in hospitalization/death, I don't see why we should really care whether that's the result of vaccination, prior infection, or the most vulnerable already having died to previous variants.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Worthless anecdotal from BC here but my friends a nurse and in the last three months, every single patient she saw in the ICU with covid were unvaccinated, and out of everyone who was intubed, all of them died aside from one. Age was from 40 - 65.

Hopefully we'll run out of unvaccinated people eventually as we have a high vaccination rate.

The ICU still is about half what it was at the Delta peak but the big problem is that so many health care workers are having to isolate due to a positive exposure which means there is more of a staff shortage than usual

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gripweed posted:

No it's not, it's too early for scientific concensus. And even if it was, there is definitely no scientific consensus saying that the next variant will be milder.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of this from friends and coworkers. The idea that it's going to just get milder and milder till it's not an issue.

There's no guarantee of that.

There's no guarantee that thanks to the incredible level of infectious, the virus doesn't mutate into something that's just as transmissible but also more deadly.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

NoDamage posted:

A couple of recent studies have attempted to do this. I posted this one from the UK a few pages back:

There is also this one from Canada:
Those were good reads, thank you.
The UK one is pretty compelling. I'll admit it's been more than a few years since my last stats class and I don't read scientific papers recreationally but nothing jumped out as blaringly wrong as a layman. The only wrinkle is I'd like to see the demographic data broken out more granularly
I'm sure there are ways to further nitpick it (like more people are testing for omicron out of fear that it is more infectious/for travel so you end up with what appears to be less severe cases whereas with delta you were only getting tested if you were feeling sick and if you were sick you were already hosed) but who knows? On the face it seems to support the notion so that's good news if more data/results follow it as the truth

The Canada one is doing something funky with their demographic data comparing overall outcomes of a 44% unvaccinated delta sample set with a 17% unvaccinated omicron sample set. That seems a little sloppy to draw conclusions from.

NoDamage posted:

I mean, ultimately what does it even matter? The important thing is that it is less severe and less likely to result in hospitalization/death, I don't see why we should really care whether that's the result of vaccination, prior infection, or the most vulnerable already having died to previous variants.

From a practical perspective I suppose not much. It's already out and it's going to do what it's going to do and it seems like knowing more precisely how hosed we are is not going to result in practical changes from anyone high enough up on the ladder to do anything about it.
I do hope when it plays out that the people saying "it's less severe" are right and fewer people end up dead or maimed than it's looking like might right now. As much as I let myself seem to revel in the ineptitude of national and global response to mass death as a coping mechanism for the daily horror we are experiencing, I much prefer people not dying and society not collapsing (idealist/bleeding-heart as that might make me).

I guess maybe reading the tea leaves of the data snippets we are fed gives a certain sense of control or understanding where there really isn't any? Trying to make sense of the chaos

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

What I'm curious about in particular are the dynamics between those evaluating exemption cases, the national government and the national tennis authority. If he got COVID-19 in the past six months, he should be allowed to stay, but if he didn't then why was he given an exemption in the first place? Do folks domestically trust this process to be fair? Is Tennis big enough (like say FIFA or the IOC) domestically to put their thumb on the scales?

He was given an exemption by Tennis Australia to play in the Australian Open, which is entirely different from being given a visa by the federal government to enter Australia. I strongly suspect that if the PM wasn't in deep poo poo from the testing system collapsing around us and badly in need of a distraction, he would've been waved through, but it's still very very funny.

(Re: fairness, given how many actual Australians have found it difficult to return home during the pandemic, there is zero appetite for rich anti-vax sports stars to be given special treatment)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

droll posted:

Can you please post your sources that omicron is causing more people to die than prior types? And what does this have to do with asking another poster about what would meet their definition of scientific consensus for this discussion?

Can you please post your source for claiming that he said that?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

You're asking for data that is too vague and that's not what that poster said.

In terms of per capita deaths, we currently have more people dying than countries like the UK and France that are beating us in cases.

A lower percentage than previous waves, maybe, but mild is a relative term and it leads people to relax their NPI's in the face of an incredibly infectious variant.

And the several countries are seeing more deaths than during their Delta peak(but not their initial peak).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

freebooter posted:

He was given an exemption by Tennis Australia to play in the Australian Open, which is entirely different from being given a visa by the federal government to enter Australia. I strongly suspect that if the PM wasn't in deep poo poo from the testing system collapsing around us and badly in need of a distraction, he would've been waved through, but it's still very very funny.

(Re: fairness, given how many actual Australians have found it difficult to return home during the pandemic, there is zero appetite for rich anti-vax sports stars to be given special treatment)

Wait, Tennis Australia can just exempt people on their own?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hospital newsletter states we have a 30% mortality of all unvaxxed and partial vaxxed admits. Last month was the highest rates of mortality. Last month no deaths of vaccinated plus booster, and no confirmed omicron deaths in ICU with booster.

Ancedotal but it's data and some news.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Interesting study on Omicron throat vs nose

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1478798030618906632

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8702434/

This is a very robust study (p < 1.6 x 10-13!) that has significant implications about Omicron and the future of the pandemic

1) The most obvious implication is that higher vaccination, lockdowns, masking, etc would not have had any impact on stopping or slowing this variant from emerging unless they were literally at the very start of the pandemic - the putative date of the jump from humans to mice occurred in June of 2020 and it jumped back to humans in November of 2021. That's a very long time to reproduce and mutate with zero control, and at 3.3x the rate it would have been expected to mutate in humans.

2) It has long been known that COVID-19 can infect bats, mustelids (minks and ferrets), deer and rats, but we hadn't really seen it in wild mice populations and we weren't sure of the extent to which it could be passed back and forth between species. If COVID can now freely jump between mice and humans that makes any chance of zero COVID functionally impossible, especially in crowded urban environments where mice and rats have regular contact with human spaces. It also greatly limits the impact of periodic lockdowns in maintaining near-zero COVID.

3) But this is also potentially good news. Remember that study with all the graphs showing that Omicron was way less deadly in mice and hamsters, while showing more infectious particles in nasal swabs? That's a direct result of viral evolution towards optimizing spread in a short-lived, high-metabolism species. Other COVID variants killed mice faster, possibly to the point of making mice less viable as a major reservoir for the disease, so when a variant that killed them slower came about it ran rampant in the population. This may represent a paradigm shift in the virus. It makes it more difficult to control the disease, but also presents a more stringent criterion for future variants to get a foothold. They have to be able to replicate in mice, so they have to be less severe. Omicron itself may not be mild enough to offset its infectivity when it comes to raw hospitalization numbers, but it presents a new base for future variants to continue a trajectory of increased infectivity-decreased severity.

I don’t think anyone responded to this, but seems fascinating and apropos to the discussion of omicron’s “innate” severity (distinct from transmissibility and ultimate damage to society at large). Haven’t had a chance to read the article yet and probably won’t really be qualified to critically evaluate it anyway, but thought I’d dredge it back up in case others want to comment.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've been swabbing my rear end in a top hat, I wish I'd seen this earlier.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

smoobles posted:

I've been swabbing my rear end in a top hat, I wish I'd seen this earlier.
Turd immunity

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bearinabox posted:

Wow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'd love to hear what bothered you about these. Be specific.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Judakel posted:

I'd love to hear what bothered you about these. Be specific.

He's permabanned dude

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, Tennis Australia can just exempt people on their own?

They made it a requirement that players (and coaches, staff etc I assume) need to be vaccinated to participate in the Australian Open, irrespective of whether they're flying in from overseas or if they live down the road in Richmond. Djokovic was then exempted from that requirement. But you must also be vaccinated to enter Australia, which was the hurdle Djokovic failed.

edit - you also have to be vaccinated to attend a stadium under Victorian rules whether you're a player or a spectator, but I assume the state government agreed with Tennis Australia to similarly exempt him because they're desperate to have their precious Open go ahead

freebooter fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 6, 2022

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He's permabanned dude

Well, I was legitimately curious, so I guess I won't ever know.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Judakel posted:

Well, I was legitimately curious, so I guess I won't ever know.

Not perma'd from the forums but forumbanned user CelestialScribe.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zoux posted:

I've come into a couple situations where I have had people that would soundly be positive for covid who however are testing negative.

A friend's baby and wife had covid and he consistently tested negative even though he had all symptoms. This was with Abbott binax.

Another person had a spouse with covid and they did not isolate early enough so he definitely has covid exhibiting making GBS threads brains out, general weakness, testing negative.

Can anyone explain this? Other than it not attacking the lungs means your concentration is low enough not to be detected? I've heard that you can swab your throat to get a more accurate positive/negative. Can anyone clarify this as true or false?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've come into a couple situations where I have had people that would soundly be positive for covid who however are testing negative.

A friend's baby and wife had covid and he consistently tested negative even though he had all symptoms. This was with Abbott binax.

Another person had a spouse with covid and they did not isolate early enough so he definitely has covid exhibiting making GBS threads brains out, general weakness, testing negative.

Can anyone explain this? Other than it not attacking the lungs means your concentration is low enough not to be detected? I've heard that you can swab your throat to get a more accurate positive/negative. Can anyone clarify this as true or false?
The FDA has said that antigen tests are less sensitive to Omicron. If they have symptoms hey should follow up with a PCR test (if possible given the current testing situation where you live).

People online are reporting that swabbing their throats with an antigen test might produce a positive result when a nose swab doesn't, but the FDA does not currently recommend this and says instead the tests should be used as directed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
not sure if you're allowed to quote the other thread? but here's something i found:

crepeface posted:

interesting graph on the effect on volume and R_eff with NPIs:

you can see around sept when lockdowns and non-critical retail was closed, they managed to get the R_eff below 1.

started creeping back up when they eased restrictions, then further with at 80% vaxxed, resulting in the massive spike when they got omicron on the 28th of Nov: restriction schedule

not sure what went on during the drop during mandatory masks at 15 dec. people were allowed to leave the state? the mask mandate expiring causing people to check figures and decide to avoid risky poo poo by themselves?

fake edit: hmm, in hindsight, there always seems to be a drop as restrictions are eased. people taking more care during the initial change?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are no "reputable journals" such that their publications can be taken at face value, let alone their promotional press arm, let alone articles that haven't finished peer review. The giant multifield umbrella journals also have particularly severe inconsistencies in the quality of their reviews.

Indeed. Let's not forget the Lancet had former doctor Andrew Wakefield's paper up for 10 years before retracting it. The paper he was paid to write to make up a disease caused by the MMR jab that led to autism.

Mr Cuddles fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 6, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Well, I've got something: low-grade fever (99.7), chills, fatigue, diarrhea, nasal congestion, sore throat, and general inability to sleep. I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste, though. I'm triple-vaxxed (two Pfizer, one Moderna), but I didn't get a flu shot (tried twice and they were out both times; I guess I should've tried harder). So, not sure if I've got omicron or the flu.

Good or bad idea to take some tylenol to treat some of these symptoms? Or is that too mild of a fever to bother?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
if tylenol is paracetamol then yes, it's good for reducing fever and pain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eiba posted:

So, I know "herd immunity via widespread infection" is a charged subject, but I'm honestly ignorant and curious here: shouldn't it now be a bit more achievable (if still stupid) than it was in 2020?

Most people are now vaccinated. I know vaccinated people can catch and spread it, but do they spread it less than unvaccinated?

In terms of people who have been infected, I know reinfection is possible, but is it at least less likely?

I guess my question is, doesn't all this add up to slowing transmission eventually? Or do the numbers not add up, or is that "eventually" ridiculously far in the future?

It’s technically less achievable now than it was then, because the R0 of the variants in circulation now are so much higher, but that’s small potatoes to the change in our knowledge between then and now.

We now know that the immunity durability to SARS‐CoV‐2 is more akin to that of the common cold coronaviruses than to SARS‐CoV and MERS‐CoV.

We have achieved vaccines, but we have learned that they are very much not sterilizing and that the reduction in transmission they can give us is not enough to drive Reff below unity given pre‐pandemic pattern of contact.

Future pharmaceutical developments may change this, including nasal or inhalable vaccines, conserved or multivalent vaccines (targeting multiple variants of concern), and perhaps prophylactic antivirials, but no combination of the pharmaceutical tools we have now, plus infection‐acquired immunity, are sufficient to achieve herd immunity. We need non‐pharmaceutical interventions.

Herd immunity was once “maybe, but a lot of people would be killed or disabled before we got there”.*

At the present time, it is a firm ”no”. We do not yet have what it would take to achieve, and we now know that we didn’t have it in 2020, either.

*Technically this still wouldn’t have been herd immunity, but at best an endemicity that many people could live with. It would surve in the wild primarily by circulating in groups of young children who were naive from birth, and relatively rarely it would meet and kill an older person who had escaped infection in the epidemic waves.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 6, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Platystemon posted:

We have achieved vaccines, but we have learned that they are very much not sterilizing and that the reduction in transmission they can give us is not enough to drive Reff below zero given pre‐pandemic pattern of contact.

"below *zero*"?

:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rust Martialis posted:

"below *zero*"?

:rubby:

“Yeah, man, that’s how a natural vaccine works.” :2bong:.

Mistake noted.