Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The most annoying channel in my experience for sports is MLB TV, they have the logo on non-stop, even on commercials and games, and it never goes away. It's also one of the only things on TV I watch. Hopefully next season they change that, because it stresses me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Logos in general just need to die.

Gee, really. You think the channel that you chose to put on and has constant baseball on it is MLBTV? Who'd of thunk it.

Channel logos are boomer marketing people's perception on how people watch TV now. "Gee guys, if we don't have the logo in the corner, people won't realize what network they are watching as they are flipping channels despite the fact that the guide says so and that's not how people watch TV nowadays anyways.

I watch shows, not networks, not production companies. All your logo in the corner is doing is cheapening the product. It makes me think of the parody in BTTF:II where the whole TV is surrounded by ads. It's not how you want me to be thinking of the product.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's ridiculous, I don't understand it at all, it even covers parts of games when they do live coverage. I think that may even be one reason they do it, since they are showing games from other channels maybe they think they need to always remind you or something, like I can't remember what channel I was watching.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So apparently the Z9K is going to have three HDMI 2.1 ports but no other models

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
While I agree channel logos are annoying and pointless, more recent LG OLEDs (at least since the C9, maybe before?) have a thing that detects logos and dims just the logo to greatly extend the amount of time it can be on screen before burning in.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

bull3964 posted:

A normal varied content patterns isn't going to be an issue for an OLED because no one spot of the screen is going to high multiple hundreds of hours with one color before any other spot under those circumstances.

Unfortunately this just isn't true. There are absolutely patterns that cross all types of viewing, like faces being in the center of the screen. This leads to that area burning in, and is exactly the issue I have on my C8. Maybe I watched too many things with brighter faces and darker backgrounds? I don't know, but the problem exists.

Logos haven't mattered and game HUDs haven't mattered, I don't see burn it from that at all.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsech posted:

While I agree channel logos are annoying and pointless, more recent LG OLEDs (at least since the C9, maybe before?) have a thing that detects logos and dims just the logo to greatly extend the amount of time it can be on screen before burning in.
Yeah, the C1 has two levels of logo detection and I leave it on the highest one and I can see it does things visually to the logo, hopefully it is enough.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rusty posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous, I don't understand it at all, it even covers parts of games when they do live coverage. I think that may even be one reason they do it, since they are showing games from other channels maybe they think they need to always remind you or something, like I can't remember what channel I was watching.

Back in the day i thought it was all about station identification. Nowadays I think it acts more as a watermark to discourage uploading to YouTube and such

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Unfortunately this just isn't true. There are absolutely patterns that cross all types of viewing, like faces being in the center of the screen. This leads to that area burning in, and is exactly the issue I have on my C8. Maybe I watched too many things with brighter faces and darker backgrounds? I don't know, but the problem exists.

Logos haven't mattered and game HUDs haven't mattered, I don't see burn it from that at all.

You could also have just had a faulty panel. It happens. It's a C8 so it has only been around for like 3 years. There's no way that there should be enough hours on the set to cause issues like that unless you are running a demo loop. To be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything, but sometimes panel defects happen.

Right now, I have a little over 15,000 hours on my C6 with a lot of talky dramas over the years and uniformity is fine,

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm crossposting from the switch thread but maybe someone here can help?

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my OLED switch... it's connected to the TV, and I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on my TV (2020 Sony x900h) and it WON'T consistently appear when turning the switch on.

I've tried the "power match" setting on the switch off and on. Right now it's a 2/10 chance that if you use the controller to wake the switch (and TV) that the switch will appear on the screen.

I have to turn the TV on with it because even with the switch on, in the dock, if I switch to its input, I still get nothing.

I'm going crazy here and it's actually incredibly frustrating. Am I an idiot? I hope I am. I am using the OLED dock that came with it and this is my first switch. I've checked all of my TV's video and power settings for something and nothing has had an effect.

The TV does NOT have these issues with the same cable and something else providing the signal (tried PC and Nvidia shield tube)

Anyone else have this happen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Have you tried turning off enhanced mode on the HDMI input? I wonder if this is some issue with HDMI 2.0/1 and handshakes.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So what is the recommendation for least spying TV add on (Apple TV, Fire stick, Roku, whatever, I don’t have a preference so long as they’re not as in my poo poo as this loving C1 is, the multiple EULAs are goddamn insane)?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

tehinternet posted:

So what is the recommendation for least spying TV add on (Apple TV, Fire stick, Roku, whatever, I don’t have a preference so long as they’re not as in my poo poo as this loving C1 is, the multiple EULAs are goddamn insane)?

I only have a Switch and Apple TV hooked up to my CX and have never felt the need to hook up anything else to it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Today has been a good day.

"May I see your credentials?"

"Closer, please."

"Cloooo-serrr."

Criterion Blu-ray. Glorious.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I have that disc, it’s a really good transfer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's like the inside of an Amityville poster

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

It's like the inside of an Amityville poster

Before we renovated the attic, those windows were covered up. From the outside you saw the inside of the wall cavity, with fiberglass insulation poorly stuffed between steel studs. Now that was some horror.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you ever sell that house, make sure this photo gets into the realty listing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If you ever sell that house, make sure this photo gets into the realty listing.

If it's up to me, my next move will be into a box in the ground. But if things don't go my way, absolutely.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are those in-wall speakers?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

prom candy posted:

Are those in-wall speakers?

Yes.

Sonance VP66 LCR for ... well, left, center, right; VP62 for left and right surrounds, and VP52 UTL for the high-mounted rear surrounds and height channels. The UTLs are pretty neat, with a 75Hz frequent response but less than a 1.5" installed depth so they don't eat into the closed cell foam we used to insulate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With the single unpadded chair, it looks like you are setup to put someone through the Ludovico Technique.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is that giant ipod shuffle supposed to be a subwoofer? Its sposed to be in a corner drat it! :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

Is that giant ipod shuffle supposed to be a subwoofer? Its sposed to be in a corner drat it! :argh:

It's a Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

With the single unpadded chair, it looks like you are setup to put someone through the Ludovico Technique.
Yeah, still waiting on that couch ... right now there's a Poäng up there.

codo27 posted:

bull3964 got it. The sub is in the temporary media console in the eaves access to the left. The plan is four pull-out storage units, one at each corner. Below is how the room started. Demolition, insulation, and renovation including a new upstairs A/C unit and a new roof later, I'm happy with the results.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Closer, please."

"Cloooo-serrr."

I might steal these for the OP, that's a nice looking home theatre setup

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok the wall plug, in-wall speaker and TV being all slightly offset from center is triggering me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yes.

Sonance VP66 LCR for ... well, left, center, right; VP62 for left and right surrounds, and VP52 UTL for the high-mounted rear surrounds and height channels. The UTLs are pretty neat, with a 75Hz frequent response but less than a 1.5" installed depth so they don't eat into the closed cell foam we used to insulate.

Wow this is really nice. Post an update when the furniture is in!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Closer, please."

"Cloooo-serrr."

The left speaker is mounted crooked.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Ok the wall plug, in-wall speaker and TV being all slightly offset from center is triggering me

xgalaxy posted:

The left speaker is mounted crooked.
You are both incorrect. The wall-plug, speaker, and television look offset from a combination of phone camera distortion and me being off-center when I took the picture -- put a laser level on the grounds and the edges are both 8" away. The left speaker looking off-vertical is due to camera distortion coupled with the television being slightly tilted downward.

Cell phones distort things quite a bit. Take this, for example:

What the gently caress, right? But ...

I didn't take a picture of it at the time, but the cap also is level. Regardless, uh, a) thanks for trying to nitpick my newly-renovated room based on cell phone pictures, and b) LOL if you don't think I know already every flaw up here, most of which stemmed from renovating a 95 year-old home in which nothing is level, square, or plumb.

Mister Facetious posted:

I might steal these for the OP, that's a nice looking home theatre setup

prom candy posted:

Wow this is really nice. Post an update when the furniture is in!
Appreciate it, I'm having a blast watching some old favorites as well as a bunch of new stuff.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
lol goons gooning it up at cell phone pictures.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Your laser is crooked

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Your laser is crooked

gently caress, caught me

movax
Aug 30, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

gently caress, caught me

there may be a black hole in your attic OP, if laser is crooked, i would check that out asap

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

movax posted:

there may be a black hole in your attic OP, if laser is crooked, i would check that out asap

It's not the attic, the black hole is centered directly on my wallet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

tetrapyloctomy posted:

:golfclap:

To be fair, if I had a space that perfect for a HT I'd probably be in deep poo poo budget-wise.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I lol’d

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Apple TV.

They like to have posters for their Apple TV service but if you take it off the top shelf you never see it. Absolutely no ads and they limit what 3rd party apps on their platform can do. If you’re already in the Apple ecosystem it integrates pretty drat well.

Amazon won’t shut up about their Prime Video service all over the Home Screen. Roku makes more money on advertising than selling hardware now. Nvidia shield would be the only other acceptable option.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Apple TV is the only option that doesn't spy on you to sell you ads. It also has the best UI, hardware, and software. It's expensive but 100% worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, totally, Apple is super above board and has become the world's largest corporation by never selling your information :rolleyes: