Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Detective No. 27 posted:

The third episode is about the rise of the FOX Network. I'll be watching that today. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of The Simpsons played a part. See if they mention anything about the show declining after the 90s. Interestingly, both the first two episodes cite the rise of reality tv as contributing to the decline of their episode subjects. I'm sure the Fox episode is gonna mention how Fox went all in on them too.

I’ve wondered about that, especially hearing staff from the early 90s mention how Fox wasn’t available everywhere but the demand for Simpsons helped speed the rollout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Detective No. 27 posted:

The daytime talk shows episode ended with one of the Jerry Springer producers giving an eye rolling "you can't do that today with the cancel culture" spiel. :rolleyes:

It was on the air until 2018 dude

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been watching Vice's Dark Side of the 90s show after work the past couple days. First two episodes are on daytime talk shows and The Viper Room. The daytime talk shows episode ended with one of the Jerry Springer producers giving an eye rolling "you can't do that today with the cancel culture" spiel. :rolleyes:

The third episode is about the rise of the FOX Network. I'll be watching that today. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of The Simpsons played a part. See if they mention anything about the show declining after the 90s. Interestingly, both the first two episodes cite the rise of reality tv as contributing to the decline of their episode subjects. I'm sure the Fox episode is gonna mention how Fox went all in on them too.

I read that as Jerry Seinfeld for some reason, and it reminded me that I just watched a season 3 episode where Seinfeld has a whole bit about attempted suicide and it was a big loving yikes. Maybe canceling comedians is a good thing actually. I feel like the only comedy with its roots in the 80s that aged gracefully (relatively) was Cheers because they were trying to be inclusive from the very beginning.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

Cheers because they were trying to be inclusive from the very beginning.

There’s a very early Cheers episode where Norm, Cliff and several of the regulars find out that gay guys are in the bar and freak out because they think it’ll turn Cheers into a gay bar. Both Sam and Diane are appalled and the episode’s resolution is that the guys are unreasonable bigots.

There might be some problems with the episode now but it was remarkably progressive for 1983.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I find a lot of old comedies work best when looked at as purely a slice of the time and a mix of modern dark humor sensibility. That said, I don't blame anyone for anything they find problematic

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not as bad as Italian Bob imho

Just when I’ve finally completely forgotten something so heinous, there’s always a friendly reminder it exists and I just wanna scream because I’d finally forgotten about it. Ugggh, Italian Bob was just… ugggh.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There’s a very early Cheers episode where Norm, Cliff and several of the regulars find out that gay guys are in the bar and freak out because they think it’ll turn Cheers into a gay bar. Both Sam and Diane are appalled and the episode’s resolution is that the guys are unreasonable bigots.

There might be some problems with the episode now but it was remarkably progressive for 1983.

And this isn't even the only instance of the show taking positions like this. They made very conscious efforts from early on to combat bigotry and I love it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So the episode did briefly talk about The Simpsons and how it went up against The Cosby Show. The episode was about FOX but it mostly focused on how they were the network for youth shows and issues. I didn't know that Beverly Hills 90210 was originally did very very poorly and didn't get cancelled because they have anything to replace it with. Then, this might be spin by the documentary, I dunno, the Gulf War happened and all the other networks shifted to coverage. Except for Fox, because ironically they didn't have news at the time, and teens, tired of war footage, flocked to the network and made 90210 a big hit. (Big lol at those Gen Xers flocking to recruiters in droves a decade later.)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Man, I remember a time when Michael Jackson had world premiere videos from the Dangerous album air immediately after The Simpsons on Thursday night. My sister had me record “Black or White” and “Remember the Time” because she was taking night classes at the time and was salty that she couldn’t see them live. It really was a welcome change from everyone else talking about Desert Storm ad nauseam.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

Just when I’ve finally completely forgotten something so heinous, there’s always a friendly reminder it exists and I just wanna scream because I’d finally forgotten about it. Ugggh, Italian Bob was just… ugggh.

I only remember it because it has the honor of being the episode that caused me to stop watching the show altogether

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I only remember it because it has the honor of being the episode that caused me to stop watching the show altogether

I don’t know why I stuck around for two more seasons after The Italian Bob because that episode nearly caused me to stop watching the show, too. It wasn’t until That ‘90s Show that I checked out completely.

In hindsight, The Italian Bob is much, much worse than That ‘90s Show.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
What was so bad about The Italian Bob again? I know I watched that episode, but I don't remember a single thing about it except for a vague plot outline.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

DaveWoo posted:

What was so bad about The Italian Bob again?

Everything

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've started rewatching and I'm in season 6 now, is there an accepted endpoint where I should stop watching for my own sanity? I have season 12 in my mind but it honestly could be sooner based on what little I've read.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Every rewatch I do drags by 9 and rarely gets to 10.

I've tried to go directly to 12+ and it's painful. Those teen seasons are so toxically bad. I think people say the s11 finale should be the last episode regardless where you finish if not by 11.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

What was so bad about The Italian Bob again?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really tried to make saying "vendetta" into a funny thing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DaveWoo posted:

What was so bad about The Italian Bob again? I know I watched that episode, but I don't remember a single thing about it except for a vague plot outline.

VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA!

(times a thousand)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA! VENDETTA!

(times a thousand)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

The family screaming "Vendetta!" over and over

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That is one ugly kid.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you stop at season 11, the last episode is Behind The Laughter, which is a great place to stop.

I have up to season 12 on DVD and ripped to Kodi. So when the pandemic started I watched them all. Except the last two seasons I was shipping a bunch of episodes. By season 12 I think I was shipping more episodes than the ones I watched.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

quote:

Kelsey Grammer won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance for his voice portrayal of Sideshow Bob in this episode.

John Frink won the Writers Guild of America Award for Outstanding Writing in Animation at the 59th Writers Guild of America Awards for his script to this episode.

I kinda like the laziness of how multiple characters have met and had kids and those kids are walking and talking while Maggie stays frozen in time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

That is one ugly kid.

Turn on your monitor

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

I find a lot of old comedies work best when looked at as purely a slice of the time and a mix of modern dark humor sensibility. That said, I don't blame anyone for anything they find problematic

I'd love to see the reaction of a modern audience to All in the Family. The overall message is still progressive even by today's standards but I think the way the message is delivered would raise some eyebrows.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Das Boo posted:

It's too soon for Simpsons to tackle MeToo. It was just last year they made the brave choice to include a character who had a mastectomy!

who was that?

italian quid posted:

I've started rewatching and I'm in season 6 now, is there an accepted endpoint where I should stop watching for my own sanity? I have season 12 in my mind but it honestly could be sooner based on what little I've read.

i have a slightly higher tolerance for declining simpsons than the average posted in this thread, i think. so i personally stopped around season 15. by that point, the show is already quite difficult to watch, but after that, it becomes quite painful.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr Interweb posted:

who was that?

This lady:

Of course there were a dozen articles praising them for being so revolutionary.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Das Boo posted:

This lady:

Of course there were a dozen articles praising them for being so revolutionary.

At the same time I don't know that I can think of an animated character that's addressed it before?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
South Park, though I can't tell if Principal Victoria has had a unilateral mastectomy because of how she's drawn.

e: wrang princepull

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Das Boo posted:

South Park, though I can't tell if Principal Victoria has had a unilateral mastectomy because of how she's drawn.

e: wrang princepull

Oh how the tables have turned.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There wasn't any dialogue or story around it, it just came off like they drew her wrong. Like if it was a live action show and they cast an actress who had a mastectomy that would be one thing but they basically just drew one less line on the character sheet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atlas Hugged posted:

At the same time I don't know that I can think of an animated character that's addressed it before?

The Venture Bros has a mythologically accurate Amazon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Venture Bros has a mythologically accurate Amazon.

gently caress, I forgot and she was amazing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Man I need to do a Venture rewatch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I'd love to see the reaction of a modern audience to All in the Family. The overall message is still progressive even by today's standards but I think the way the message is delivered would raise some eyebrows.

Honestly, I'd be more curious about seeing modern reactions to the Jeffersons and maybe moreso Sanford and Son. All in the Family's got the biggest legacy but it's more cut and dry about what it is--old school patriarch dealing with changing times and those drat young progressive Boomers meddling in his life.

Sanford and Son is a very raw look into poor black life in that same era and how they made due but also rationalized their situations with hijinks for brevity. Where as Archie seemed hesitant to change as it affected his comfortable life, Sanford was hesitant because he didn't trust white people to change.

Nonetheless it would be interesting to see the reactions of audienes of various political and regional backgrounds to each of these shows.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

who was that?

i have a slightly higher tolerance for declining simpsons than the average posted in this thread, i think. so i personally stopped around season 15. by that point, the show is already quite difficult to watch, but after that, it becomes quite painful.

I'm genuinely curious how it's managed to keep enough of an audience to survive over the years. As objectively as possible, it became incredibly bad by this time (s13+)to the point where it's comparable with notorious poo poo like those parody "_____ Movie" films but as I wrote that I realized there were quite a few of those movies and that there must be a large segment of people with terribly low standards for comedy.

Thinking of how many mediocre to good comedy shows (all superior to bad Simpsons) that came and went through the bad Simpsons years and it's like yeah, TV execs and the industry can really be baffling and disappointing.

I'm glad we have much wider access and people producing shows these days that bemoaning the fall of the Simpsons is more of a fun distraction than a sincere need to vent.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
they literally did live performances of all in the family and the jeffersons in 2019

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

If you stop at season 11, the last episode is Behind The Laughter, which is a great place to stop.

I have up to season 12 on DVD and ripped to Kodi. So when the pandemic started I watched them all. Except the last two seasons I was shipping a bunch of episodes. By season 12 I think I was shipping more episodes than the ones I watched.

Yeah Basically behind the laughter can kind of be seen as a good way to end the series overall outside of that future Christmas episode, plus obviously the movie . Show though now has three times gotten a chance to end satisfactory and now if it ends no one will care and justifiably so.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iamsosmrt posted:

Honestly, I'd be more curious about seeing modern reactions to the Jeffersons and maybe moreso Sanford and Son.

I have been saying it for years. But it's time for "Son of Sanford and Son" to become a reality. But actually, don't do that. Because they will either miss the point entirely. Or they will just make it into Riverdale and Son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Riptor posted:

they literally did live performances of all in the family and the jeffersons in 2019

I saw that. I remember Archie used a slur and the audience audibly gasped. But I'm more curious about how it would be received episode by episode in the constantly-aggrieved and offended Twitter universe