Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
You keep running Code Reds and you're going to run out of Sailors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

I get this is kind of a vague question (intentionally probably) but what's the read on the ground in terms of readiness these days?

Just curious because I've been hearing poo poo about longer stays in port and lax maintenance, understrength, etc.

Actually gently caress it, this already sounds like a cop question. Don't like put anything that would get you in trouble if you respond or something, this is purely for my own curiosity's sake after hearing some poo poo from ex-navy people.

When the cold war ended, and the rest of the military went on a "not at war" footing, operations were curtailed and budgets were reduced along with that. The Navy never went on that "not at war" footing, burned the candle at both ends through the 90s, and then we went back to war with equipment that hadn't been getting proper maintenance and crews that were hollowed out (While all services were impacted by this, it's cheaper to buy a tank than it is to buy a new boat). We've been loving that football for the 21 years since then because ships and crews have been tasked with longer and more frequent missions without appropriate maintenance and rest periods, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
That seems to be a decent read on where they're at, as far as I can tell. The 90s loving hollowed out the Navy realllly really bad.

Also China cold war boogeyman seems to be a refrain among people who are agitating to have a great power conflict.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 5, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

There's a reason why the Constitution has "raise and support" for the Army and "provide and maintain" for the Navy. Having a blue-water Navy isn't something that happens overnight.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah I've not been in since 2016, but I highly doubt that the Navy has fixed its OPTEMPO issues and people who got out after me said it continued/got worse.
lmao if you're still in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

lmao if you're still in

Just signed got the last signatures to extend another 6 years!

Nothing bad could happen this time around right???

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Just signed got the last signatures to extend another 6 years!

Nothing bad could happen this time around right???

You're like that lucky crab foot or whatever, you can't have bad luck in the Navy, it all gets shoved off on someone else.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

it all gets shoved off on someone else.

It was me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

First off, here’s a hug. Seriously.

But if it wasn’t for your lovely unfortunate journey your redemption cycle wouldn’t be nearly as amazing. I’m super happy you landed on your feet and got a decent job now.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I think we should cancel the marine Corp entirely, cut the army and air force in half and maintain the Navy budget but cut the mission load in half.

There, I fixed America.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

First off, here’s a hug. Seriously.

But if it wasn’t for your lovely unfortunate journey your redemption cycle wouldn’t be nearly as amazing. I’m super happy you landed on your feet and got a decent job now.

This made my whole loving day. Thank you.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I think we should cancel the marine Corp entirely, cut the army and air force in half and maintain the Navy budget but cut the mission load in half.

There, I fixed America.

Then who stands in line for chow hours early and hogs all the gym equipment on amphibs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So Bangor was closed Monday and Tuesday and some big muckity muck (retired captain who never got the memo he retired) tried to force my team to go to a pier to gently caress around with some printers. I said no because my team isn’t essential for weather issues.

Holy poo poo I’m glad I didn’t sent them there was between 50-75 fallen trees on the mile long road from a snow/freeze.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hekk posted:

Then who stands in line for chow hours early and hogs all the gym equipment on amphibs?

Seabees?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

titties posted:

Seabees?

What I'm hearing is give the seabees entirely to the marines?

titties
May 10, 2012

You know in trying to make that joke I've realized that i know nothing about amphibs or seabees or what either of them actually do

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

titties posted:

You know in trying to make that joke I've realized that i know nothing about amphibs or seabees or what either of them actually do

Amphibs are taxis for Marines

Seabees build gazebos at Camp Lemonnier and crowd the gym at Little Creek. Also they want to play the long and boring game of Spade instead of the superior card game of Euchre.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

titties posted:

Amphibs drive in circles spreading misery then port call in Thailand to spread stds

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

So Bangor was closed Monday and Tuesday and some big muckity muck (retired captain who never got the memo he retired) tried to force my team to go to a pier to gently caress around with some printers. I said no because my team isn’t essential for weather issues.

Holy poo poo I’m glad I didn’t sent them there was between 50-75 fallen trees on the mile long road from a snow/freeze.

I got the pleasure of being CDO down on delta when they decided to pull a boat into marginal in a giant loving snow storm a couple years ago, just getting screamed at by the boat and the BOSC because they didn't plow the road, so they couldn't get a bus down the giant hill.

30 section duty was pretty cool, but man that watch loving sucked, every duty day had a solid hour of getting bitched at by some O4-O6 about some dumb poo poo I couldn't control.

I got to go to a critique with the Group 9 admiral because I didn't warn all the boats there was going to be a gale, printing out the alert from the NWS that was timestamped for 1/2 an hour after the gale started didn't help.

Also, I had to print out every e-mail that was relevant to SubRon, what the gently caress is the point of that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Also, I had to print out every e-mail that was relevant to SubRon, what the gently caress is the point of that?

Keeping me in that sweet money buddy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's why the printer sounded like an F-18 when it printed!

In other news, when we were in Japan, we got sortied to Guam because some PSNS rear end in a top hat got COVID on the flight to Yokosuka. Around then a junior electrician got so drunk he passed out at a bar, Shore Patrol found him and carted him to hospital where he got his stomach pumped. The same night I was recalled to the boat, he was on class C Liberty Risk, and as one of two (2!) E6's in Eng Dept (only one not on duty), I was kinda obligated to escory him to a sad, sad lovely, sober dinner at the on-base bar.

Either way, he had drank an entire bottle of Hennessy prior to going out to the infamous Yokosuka "haunch" after standing the midwatch.

Today I found this shirt at a gas station, and bought it for him on impulse as belated Christmas present.

titties
May 10, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Amphibs drive in circles spreading misery then port call in Thailand to spread stds

This sounds excellent but I'm too old to reenlist

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the haunch is a delightful shithole of bars with overpriced drinks. you go there after downing several $4 pitchers from the base bar first.

titties
May 10, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seabees build gazebos at Camp Lemonnier and crowd the gym at Little Creek. Also they want to play the long and boring game of Spade instead of the superior card game of Euchre.

That's funny, the only people i ever knew who wanted to play euchre were fellow michiganders and the only people i knew who actually wanted to play spades were e3's at the barracks sitting in the laundry room waiting for a dryer

I wanted to play canasta but nobody ever knew how

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

That's why the printer sounded like an F-18 when it printed!

In other news, when we were in Japan, we got sortied to Guam because some PSNS rear end in a top hat got COVID on the flight to Yokosuka. Around then a junior electrician got so drunk he passed out at a bar, Shore Patrol found him and carted him to hospital where he got his stomach pumped. The same night I was recalled to the boat, he was on class C Liberty Risk, and as one of two (2!) E6's in Eng Dept (only one not on duty), I was kinda obligated to escory him to a sad, sad lovely, sober dinner at the on-base bar.

Either way, he had drank an entire bottle of Hennessy prior to going out to the infamous Yokosuka "haunch" after standing the midwatch.

Today I found this shirt at a gas station, and bought it for him on impulse as belated Christmas present.

Dobuita Dori is one of the weirdest loving places I've seen in Japan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seabees build fences that have to be torn back down because everything was hosed up from the wrong materials to the wrong size fencing used
and fight for the promotions of absolute idiots that cannot pass the advancement exams while chasing off anyone with half a brain.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Marines tried to get the Seabees in the 80s and early 2010s and the Navy nixed it both times due to the NCF doing facilities stuff.

Also you lose like 55% of them to Marine fitness standards immediately if that happens.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

Also you lose like 55% of them to Marine fitness standards immediately if that happens.

And nothing of value was lost.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A not insignificant part of the Seabee force (re: the people who have high levels of fitness and task comprehension and execution skills) comes from NSW/special programs drops, people that couldn't get waivers for special programs that aren't nuke and people who the community won't let them go for special programs. So they'd also lose a lot more people to combat arms pretty quickly.

The real answer is disband the NCF and leave it all to the contractors who do the work already.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My buddy who just got out of the bees said it was basically "what if the Marines, but fat?"

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
You all aren't even talking about the best part of the Seabees: reservist Seabees.

Just epic fuckups. Their fat gently caress of a chief was not a help, and their CO was hilariously inept.

Looking back on that tour though it was close between the Seabees and the Cargo Handling Battalions for worst sailors/professionals/people.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My Chief has COVID.

So does Doc.

They both came to work and decided it'd be smart to interact with people.

Imma gonna enjoy my 2 weeks leave boys.

Unless they call my rear end in to keep EDPOs from going Port and RePort.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

My Chief has COVID.

So does Doc.

They both came to work and decided it'd be smart to interact with people.

Imma gonna enjoy my 2 weeks leave boys.

Unless they call my rear end in to keep EDPOs from going Port and RePort.

Fairly soon the Navy will start treating COVID like anything else.

“I don’t care if you tested positive for it, you still need to come in and go to sick call or you’re UA” - chief

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if you dont go to the 7am0700 sick call you have to go in for work!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've heard rumors of boats threatening people with NJP for malingering if they get themselves tested....

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

I've heard rumors of boats threatening people with NJP for malingering if they get themselves tested....

Ah yeah, thats the stuff. gently caress the Navy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

My FTN tattoo grows warm upon hearing this.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I was having a pressure headache, sniffles, and a sore throat and was 100% sure that it was just the creepin' crud, but I got pretty heavily browbeat into going to medical and getting tested. I mean I'm on deployment so that probably factors into it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

(Reminisces about the one time we got an MC that was "gently caress me? No gently caress you")

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Buddy texts me "hey my relief got covid come take this firsts job" so im like everyone has covid good luck getting a relief and my covid test came back and yep it was positive lmao, I told his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wang Commander posted:

Buddy texts me "hey my relief got covid come take this firsts job" so im like everyone has covid good luck getting a relief and my covid test came back and yep it was positive lmao, I told his rear end

Congrats! Got beat out for a 70 day job and then saw a 30 day relief in Bahrain and ran out the door. Have to go to the mountains for the winter where there's no union halls!