Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Less Fat Luke posted:

You should have seen /r/Canada meltdown about EI being denied if you get fired for not complying with your jobs vaccine mandates. I feel like that move is already further than anything Macron would do.

Edit: 4700 comments lol https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/rt5hq3/unvaccinated_workers_who_lose_jobs_ineligible_for/

Oh holy poo poo, that was posted only 5 days ago

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Macron sucks rear end lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Less Fat Luke posted:

You should have seen /r/Canada

Please don't recommend that people harm themselves

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't approve of his "being a useless neoliberal rear end in a top hat" policy, but I do agree with his "gently caress with anti-vaxxers" policy.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

CBC had a story on Macron in France basically telling plague rats to get hosed or "piss off" and to start denying services. I stand with him on that. It's their fault this thing still wreaks havoc.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/frances-macron-rules-out-new-covid-19-curbs-ahead-wednesday-meeting-2022-01-04/

It’s a little bizarre seeing Europe and the US go “just get vaccinated and it’ll be fine!” And meanwhile we’re telling cancer patients that they need to delay their surgeries.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

enki42 posted:

Same argument IMO, all this dancing around vaccine rules seems pointless when the goal is we just want to make them mandatory.

Y'know, you're right. The foremost excuse against mandatory vaccination that keeps getting thrown around is that it violates human rights, and that's not even true. Forced vaccination, as in a forced medical procedure, is against the Geneva convention, sure. But we can definitely make it illegal to not be vaccinated, or make life as miserable as can be for those who still don't want to adhere to the most basic social contract. The latter is what Macron quite openly admits he wants to do, he might as well take the last step and just make it mandatory, period.

Omicron is so damned contagious that even with 100% vaccination + booster rate, it'd still overwhelm the health care network. It was strained and short on resources already beforehand, I don't know how we can get through this without the system completely crippled by doctors and nurses just quitting in droves and never coming back.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Starks posted:

It’s a little bizarre seeing Europe and the US go “just get vaccinated and it’ll be fine!” And meanwhile we’re telling cancer patients that they need to delay their surgeries.

That's because Europe has varying degrees of mostly functional socialized medicine and in the USA everything is available... you just gotta pay.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Fidelitious posted:

Let's not be silly, there is no circumstance where the government could literally physically force a needle into someone's arm and I would definitely not want them to even try. That's not optimistic, that's authoritarian.

I agree that we shouldn't be forcing a needle into their arms when there I perfectly good deserted islands that we can be sending them to.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

D'Arcy and Bentinck Islands aren't being used for anything right now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I agree that we shouldn't be forcing a needle into their arms when there I perfectly good deserted islands that we can be sending them to.

Id rather not give the Cons more guaranteed ridings.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
2 years on of the objectively worst covid response in the country, and one of the worst in the world, I understand why Kenney won't resign because he's a soft little lad who has never worked a real job in his entire life, but I have no idea why Dr Hinshaw is still holding on making bare assertions about what the best course is without explicating her reasoning as if anyone has any confidence in her professional judgment at this point.

Anyways, hospitalizations and ICU admissions spiking, open er the gently caress up

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Here, for the person who was inquiring why we feel BC is loving up:

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1478875024064847875?s=21

The numbers apparently may exist? But the government doesn’t want to share them. They won’t provide them to journalists, because… well, we don’t know, cause they won’t say.

And the kicker - we probably can’t get accurate numbers anyway because they won’t open new testing centers due to either the weather or they wont’t/can’t staff them. Nevermind that we found a way to successfully mass vaccinate people literally LAST YEAR. .

But we’re winning! KEEP CALM AND BE KIND GOD drat IT.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Anecdotal but my friend is an ICU nurse in BC and in the last three months, every single patient she saw in the ICU with covid was unvaccinated, and out of everyone who was intubed, all of them died aside from one. Age was from 40 - 65.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2022

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The only thing that saddens me about the unvaxxed dying at this point is the hospital bed they died on and the staff who worked to save them being unavailable to treat someone else who didn’t choose to die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
lmao what's up with that probe

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Bleck posted:

lmao what's up with that probe

Seemed like they were just expressing their personal feeling more than adding something that was interesting or could be discussed.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Koos Group posted:

Seemed like they were just expressing their personal feeling more than adding something that was interesting or could be discussed.

this poo poo sucks shut up bitch

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We in the CanPol thread are a Distinct Society and shitposting is a cherished part of our culture.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koos Group posted:

The canpol thread has not been moderated with the same heavy hand or the same style as the rest of D&D for years, and we like it that way. Please leave us be.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

We in the CanPol thread are a Distinct Society and shitposting is a cherished part of our culture.

Yes, I'm noticing that reading the thread. Should've lurked more, as they say.

Arivia posted:

The canpol thread has not been moderated with the same heavy hand or the same style as the rest of D&D for years, and we like it that way. Please leave us be.

As you wish.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Is it a controversial opinion to say that I would like China derails to be dealt with by mods?

Not in the context of Canadian relationships with China, or learning from their example as applies to our own country. But derails that are literally just about China. This is the only thing that regularly happens in this thread that is frustrating for me to read. There are other places for it.

Otherwise we mostly sort ourselves out IMO.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Good probe imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaom posted:

Is it a controversial opinion to say that I would like China derails to be dealt with by mods?

Not in the context of Canadian relationships with China, or learning from their example as applies to our own country. But derails that are literally just about China. This is the only thing that regularly happens in this thread that is frustrating for me to read. There are other places for it.

I don’t disagree but historically moderating CanPol has been best accomplished by a Canadian mod or IK. I’d rather wait on a Canadian IK who actually knows what’s up like the other national politics threads have instead of someone who isn’t Canadian coming in and tossing sixers around at a discussion of woman-bear love.

e: like it seems to happen once each per new D&D mod since Helsing faded away. They start reading the forum with buttons, pop in here, sock someone with a probe for something completely anodyne and we all collectively go “BAD MOD NOT IN OUR HOUSE.” I don’t think it’s a chat crew thing or whatever it’s just chill hoser politics.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 6, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

I don’t disagree but historically moderating CanPol has been best accomplished by a Canadian mod or IK. I’d rather wait on a Canadian IK who actually knows what’s up like the other national politics threads have instead of someone who isn’t Canadian coming in and tossing sixers around at a discussion of woman-bear love.

I could certainly appoint an IK for the thread if there's a particular person you all agree should do it. Or just leave it unmoderated if that's the preference.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think the biggest issue in this thread is the amount of tankies that openly support an anti-democratic federal policy towards the de facto independent state of Quebec

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I cant tell if that is a joke or not and it scares me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Starks posted:

I think the biggest issue in this thread is the amount of tankies that openly support an anti-democratic federal policy towards the de facto independent state of Quebec

something something bald-faced liars

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The thread is relatively new, despite the OP being hilariously current, so, serious suggestion - just take the top x posters since we know they’re active, eliminate anyone with questionable stuff on their rap sheet within the last few months, then roll dice until you find someone willing and who the thread doesn’t immediately try to veto. There are probably a few posters we’d all be happy with as IK, especially on a trial basis, so I doubt we’re going to see a consensus.

I know some people are going to say we should just use the report button, but eh. Save reports for things that need it IMO, a tedious derail doesn’t really rise to that level. If we have an IK who never has anything to do, I don’t see the harm in that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It should be me, I should be the IK.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

kaom posted:

China chat sometimes gets annoying but it would be a million times more annoying once it's weaponized with the threat of probes. The derails very rarely go on for more than a page or two.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Boring!!!!! Stop talking about other posters, stay on topic. This bad faithing is some serious calm Hitler

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I guess I should have restated my position from the feedback thread that the best moderation is proactive and doesn’t involve buttons at all lol. I totally agree, I don’t want to see a bunch of probes handed out either, I’m more interested in a timely response that doesn’t require escalation. And that doesn’t probe for bear jokes, I guess, that would be a bonus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

enki42 posted:

China chat sometimes gets annoying but it would be a million times more annoying once it's weaponized with the threat of probes. The derails very rarely go on for more than a page or two.

It doesn’t need to be a threat. An IK saying “move on” is plenty without actual probes happening.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We're still good with craft beer chat though right

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

do they sell it at the keg?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I think so? Like we seem to want Canada talk not China talk, we’re pretty wideranging about Canada talk and that’s fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

do they sell it at the keg?

They sell "craft" brands made by Inbev or whoever, surely those count

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Debating which craft beers the Keg should sell is a time-honoured CanPol tradition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Debating which craft beers the Keg should sell is a time-honoured CanPol tradition.

Maybe you could do IK poo poo, since you’re a regular here and already a mod? (cspam but I don’t think anyone here is gonna think you’d be bad in this thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Can one person carry such a burden?