Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

It's literally mathematically impossible. Someone tried to beat Calamity Ganon with nothing but sticks and maxed out weapon inventory capacity. You can't do enough damage to kill him before all the sticks break

Ok so what's the weakest weapon you could have a full inventory of and kill Ganon, and has anyone done that? I'm with b_d, this is the kind of BOTW content I wanna see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

There's this, which uses a glitch to (eventually) give a stick infinite durability to use through the entire game. Still does normal stick damage though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkcqwkHblY

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I decided I was sick of not having maps everywhere and started trying to climb towers. Wow gently caress these things. They're always surrounded by bullshit. I got one of them then moved on to the one with shock wizards floating around it. And of course I'm out of arrows and have no idea how to do this since you can't attack while swimming.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You gotta work that one from the edges to pick off all the outer Lizalfos first. Then you can lure the wizzrobes one at time. It helps if you have stasis+ if you need to do crowd management.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

You gotta work that one from the edges to pick off all the outer Lizalfos first. Then you can lure the wizzrobes one at time. It helps if you have stasis+ if you need to do crowd management.

I just did it. I killed one wizrobe and then of course the blood moon rose. I just yolo'd the tower and jump climbed each level. Made it up surprisingly easy after the first tier. What a huge piece of poo poo.

Anyway I just got the white horse my first trip through that area. Fuckin awesome.

Question from a huge coward: if I'm riding a horse and I fast travel does the horse go with me?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2022

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Question from a huge coward: if I'm riding a horse and I fast travel does the horse go with me?

Horses can't directly fast travel without a DLC item, but no matter where you leave your horse, you can re-summon it at any stable.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is a really bad trade since you need way more luminous stones than diamonds.

It's not a "really bad trade" when to me it seems that's precisely why luminous stones were created: to be an easy-to-find, common gemstone which you can trade for diamonds (which are needed for a lot of upgrades). Collecting 10 luminous stones takes like 2 minutes, while finding 1 diamond would take a lot longer unless you're super lucky.

Also yes, anyone should feel free to sell their gemstones if that's their jam (though maybe don't sell until you need the money right now because almost every seller can buy anything and pays the same anyway). That's how I played my first couple of playthroughs and had no regrets. Only much later I discovered how profitable meat skewers are.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's okay to sell gems early on if you need some quick cash to buy armor in Kakariko or Hateno.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DanielCross posted:

Horses can't directly fast travel without a DLC item, but no matter where you leave your horse, you can re-summon it at any stable.

:pedant: As long as you've registered it!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DanielCross posted:

Awesome thanks

I never want to lose my first horse or the white one

This is really good news

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I want to make money, I go to kakariko village to that sheep pasture or whatever it is. There's a guy there that mentions a forest is overrun with deer. Take a stealth potion and/or the sheikah outfit and a strong bow and you can one shot the deer and collect their meat. The guy pays if you kill enough deer, and you can cook five of the meat to make a pricy meal to sell. You can repeat the minigame due as long as youb have bows and arrows.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I hide in the forest above kakariko and hunt Blupee for hours, collecting 5 rupees at a time.

It's the best way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I kill and eat the Lord of the Mountain and transcend the need for worldly possessions

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

One of my favorite things to do is switch to the most ridiculous outfit I can before a cut scene happens.

Also on Christmas Eve I dressed Link up as Tingle and ran around the Gerudo Highlands giving food to all the Lizalfos I could find with my sons.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

in botw 2 they NEED to let you register and keep stalhorses or i will ███████ nintendo hq

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just break pots. Sometimes there's a rupee inside!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There should be a Morrowind version you can play where any time you just break a law you have to escape from jail.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I'm just suggesting that a lot of the new places in MM may have been partway made already during development of OoT and not used, and they were like yo we have half another game already if we figure out how these things can go together

Just that it wasn't all scratch built (the new stuff not the obvious re-used assets and engine)

Of course, this could just as easily be true of experimental content that didn't make it into BotW.

The only thing I can think of is the original Hyrule Field featured a Clocktown like barrier around Hyrule Castle, it was part of that huge leak. Pretty cool actually.

b_d posted:

in botw 2 they NEED to let you register and keep stalhorses or i will ███████ nintendo hq

I remember riding my first one around the frozen wastes, having a good time then I dismounted and went to explore a bit... I came back after the sun rose and my new friend was gone. I might have seen him disappear, but I know I was :smith: when I realized they die with the sunrise...

The I was :argh: when I tried to stable another.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Just wait till you try to stable a bear.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fifty Three posted:

Just wait till you try to stable a bear.

I was really disappointed there wasn't unique text if you try to do that, they just say the same thing as if you try to stable a deer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I always use snowball bowling for the Great Faries, because screw waiting to upgrade things until you organically collect all that cash, but for everything else, I role-play and sell things I collect adventuring like an adventurer would.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

upgrading armor past rank 2 is like super unnecessary imo and it's totally fair that they gave it exorbitant costs

20+ defense equipment is a total luxury that pretty much lets you outright ignore damage from everything except lynels. at least with rank 2 armor you might still sometimes have to pay attention to stuff and maybe even use some of the 99 healing items you're always carrying

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK I really loving hate rain. It fucks you over so many ways and there's nothing you can do about it but fast travel somewhere and rest to pass time. I tried to scale a cliff to a tower to avoid some Guardians and couldn't, even with a bunch of stamina upgrades. Had to wait it out since I was so far from a fast travel point.

Now I'm trying to bring blue fire back to Robbie and got completely hosed because there's no way to shield the torch from rain. You can't even ride a horse with a torch out.

Then the lightning started and just gently caress that mechanic. I get they wanted you to have a chance to get struck but it happens multiple times during every storm and if you're nowhere near cover you get BBQ'd.

gently caress rain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress rain.

That's one of my most constant complains through the whole game, I hate it so much. People will try to convince you that it's not as bad as you think, but don't let em lie to you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am 100% sure that BoTW2 will have a set of gear that will let you climb when it's raining.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean if the loving THING IS EVER RELEASED

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Elephant Ambush posted:

Then the lightning started and just gently caress that mechanic. I get they wanted you to have a chance to get struck but it happens multiple times during every storm and if you're nowhere near cover you get BBQ'd.

gently caress rain.

Rains annoying yeah but there’s a super easy way to not get struck by lightning at all

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I really loving hate rain. It fucks you over so many ways and there's nothing you can do about it but fast travel somewhere and rest to pass time. I tried to scale a cliff to a tower to avoid some Guardians and couldn't, even with a bunch of stamina upgrades. Had to wait it out since I was so far from a fast travel point.

Now I'm trying to bring blue fire back to Robbie and got completely hosed because there's no way to shield the torch from rain. You can't even ride a horse with a torch out.

gently caress rain.

Metal weapons, metal bows, metal shields will get you zapped in lightning. When you get the warning, switch to wooden gear or un-equip it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I'm just suggesting that a lot of the new places in MM may have been partway made already during development of OoT and not used, and they were like yo we have half another game already if we figure out how these things can go together

Just that it wasn't all scratch built (the new stuff not the obvious re-used assets and engine)

Of course, this could just as easily be true of experimental content that didn't make it into BotW.

The E3 trailer seemed to more or less confirm that the "mutant arm" concept for BotW that got scrapped will play a pretty prominent role in the sequel

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Give me my Venom Link already. Mutant arm and have a Guardian blow up and send a chunk of itself into his forehead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

Give me my Venom Link already. Mutant arm and have a Guardian blow up and send a chunk of itself into his forehead.

:hmmyes:

"I'm afraid it's been...one hundred years"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

Rains annoying yeah but there’s a super easy way to not get struck by lightning at all

Also easily weaponized

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I have, twice, been walking around in a thunderstorm minding my own business when a Yiga Blademaster appeared to attack me and was immediately struck to death by lightning.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

b_d posted:

If they adopt the MM type of sequel, the world should be more weird in diverse. So like, a goblin run town that is not hostile that find this all perfectly normal.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think you might be missing an important mechanic if you’re getting struck by lighting all the time :thunk:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think you might be missing an important mechanic if you’re getting struck by lighting all the time :thunk:

My point is that if they're going for realism they are failing in one of the worst ways

And that doesn't make in general any less awful. I keep passing time to try to get this blue fire to Robbie and I can't make it further than like 3 additional lantern sconce things without it raining again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I do not think BOTW is going for realism if you can change your clothes and eat in mid air and all of your weapons are stored in your rear end in a top hat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They're not going for realism, but that doesn't mean there weren't some very annoying design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also you are a magic iPad wielding elf boy on a continent with talking birdmen and fish men and giant robots