Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Be aware that GW's "28mm" is closer to 32mm these days. You might need to do some fudging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hobby question!

My buddy sent me this video and I want to replicate the bundles of straw on my 15mm DDR tanks.

My question is what's the best way to do that? I was thinking embroidery floss rolled in pva glue and ink?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
In relation to ancients, your best bet would be Victrix. They have an extensive line of high quality 28mm plastic ancient minis, including ancient Celts, Germans, and Persians. The Persian horsemen in particular are pretty close to ancient steppe nomads if that's what you're looking for (in fact, I've used them to convert Scythians in the past). They're also pretty beefy when compared to other lines (like Perry and Fireforge).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Does anyone have any info on the new Warlord game coming out that somehow merges Bolt Action, Blood Red Skies and one of their naval games into one huge campaign?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, at long last (after a little shy of a year and a changeover in paints, after I found the original paints I bought were super watery) I've finally finished painting my Bolt Action Alpini platoon! At least, until I notice something that needs fixing, anyway. :v: It's nothing spectacular (especially compared to some of the great painting you guys produce) but here's the gang, anyway. I tried colour coordinating squad/section members by using GW bases and painting the rims in team colours, with a white mark for the squad's NCO.

I've only played three games (with another happening tomorrow) with a friend so far, but I've had some pretty good luck - I haven't actually lost yet. It seems like veteran infantry is definitely the way to go. It doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but that 'slightly harder to kill' difference has really made the difference. I'm not a good painter by any stretch, but I'll post my guys anyway, in case it's of interest to anyone.

Leading the platoon (using a General Patton mini that I glued a rifle to, filed the helmet stars and serial number off of, then green stuffed an alpini feather to) is 1st Lt Pattini, along with his assistant/bodyguard.

Forming the core of my platoon are the four squads of eight veteran infantry. Each squad has an SMG-equipped NCO and an LMG, with the rest wielding rifles.

And supporting them I've got a light Elefantino gun, an AT rifle team, a sniper team, a medium mortar (w/ spotter) and a medium howitzer (w/ spotter)

As for the vehicles, here's my M15/42 which is a surprisingly good street sweeper, when I'm facing an abundance of infantry squads. (Since with four MMGs and an optional fifth pintle-mounted MMG, it's just so good!)

I've also got an L6/40 flame tank, which has been quite effective in my games. I don't even need to use it - just having it lurking somewhere is enough of a deterrent, in a lot of cases.

Last but not least, is my trusty artillery tractor! Laugh all you want, it's actually been a big help in the three games I've played so far, haha
(Even proving to be essential in one game, where the driver bravely sacrificed himself to block off a road in front of the enemy. It required a heavy AT gun and a tank to kill him - but the wreckage was right where it needed to be! :D )

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Thanks folks. The sprue eBay thing is exactly what I needed to search. Awesome. If anyone’s interested I can return with finished shots (assuming this works out lol)

Pictures are absolutely the advice tax imo

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ilor posted:

Generally speaking, you can't deploy single teams of a squad to the table outside of springing an Ambush. That said, empty vehicles used as transport aren't deployed separately, they're deployed along with the troops riding inside them. As such, if you rolled a "2" you could plop all 3 teams of the Assault Pionier squad (in their Kubelwagens) on the table at once. It would be no different from deploying a regular infantry squad in an Opel, for instance. And remember, in CoC wheeled vehicles can move the turn they deploy. :mil101:

That said, soft-skinned vehicles are pretty flimsy, and don't really offer much protection to the troops inside them.

Thanks, but does that work with the 3/3/9 pioneer squads in Bliztkrieg?

Now how about Engineering tasks. Can you do it as normal move/fire?

Do you need Engineers to be nearby an alive to set off explosives (Blitzkrieg)?

Can you use a 1 to peel off a team off a squad, jr ldr in tow?

Can you use one command init to make the squad split, one team moving off, and the other move shooting?

Is there really no better way to remove shock than 1 per command init?

Are there specific ammo rules for flamethrowers, or is it just for the engineer teams?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 6, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

moths posted:

Hobby question!

My buddy sent me this video and I want to replicate the bundles of straw on my 15mm DDR tanks.

My question is what's the best way to do that? I was thinking embroidery floss rolled in pva glue and ink?

I think you could find some static grass that would work perfectly for this. There are some taller yellowish-brown wheat colored statics that might work fairly well.

This Woodland Scenics stuff might work out well for you, or if it is not quite right I bet there are a few other companies making something similar:

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/FG172

Something like this might work as well:

https://www.wwscenics.com/product/10mm-static-grass-dead/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those both look perfect, thanks! (Second link was busted but I found it here.

I bet if i roll the static grass between my thumb and finger, then glue it, I'll have those little bunches I need for the sides.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Can you use one command init to make the squad split, one team moving off, and the other move shooting?

Are there specific ammo rules for flamethrowers, or is it just for the engineer teams?

Engineering tasks are coverd on p 67 in the basic rulebook. Most tasks require you to start the activation next to the object, do nothing else than the task, and then roll a target number. Clearing roadblocks is different in that it takes two activations, and you need to retreat the engineers and blow the obstacle up from a distance. Don't know if there are other things in the Blitzkrieg book, otherwise I'd look at the roadblock clearing as a guideline for how to blow things up with engineers.

Yes, you can peel off a team from any multi-team sections on a 1. You don't even need to do it with a JL, you'll just need to use 1s from there on out to activate the separate team, just like any team operating alone. But you can't do it all with the same command initiative. Think of it as using the first command initiative to split off the first team and move it. Then they operate alone right, so they "eat up" that command initiative. Then you need a second initiatative to activate the part of the section that was left. The need of using a lot of initiatives is one reason why it's a bad thing to just have tons of small teams. The vulnerability to shock and bad things happen rolls is the other.

No, typically you'll need to spend command initiatives to remove shock. Yes, it makes shock hard to get rid of. Yes, that's a feature. It rewards you for pulling out of dodgy firefights early, instead of pushing your luck, as it'll get increasingly difficult to get squads out of harm's way as they collect more and more shock (remember the movement malus for shock! It's super important). You're in a good spot if you can get a SL close to where the action is so that he and the JLs can help with the task of shock removal while also keeping things from falling apart completely if you just roll a bunch of 4's one phase.

Flamethrowers are totally broken in this game and it's one of the most commonly house ruled things. Handheld flamethrowers have limited ammo, armoured ones doesn't. Yes, you can completely murder whole platoons with flamethrower tanks in the rules as written, and use flamethrowers in ways that are very ahistorical, such as using them as one of the most efficient anti-tank weapon of WW2 (it wasn't).

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Major Isoor posted:

As for the vehicles, here's my M15/42 which is a surprisingly good street sweeper, when I'm facing an abundance of infantry squads. (Since with four MMGs and an optional fifth pintle-mounted MMG, it's just so good!)

I like how the brown wash makes it look like it's built from wood. Colour the rivets silver and you're all set!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Comstar posted:

Does anyone have any info on the new Warlord game coming out that somehow merges Bolt Action, Blood Red Skies and one of their naval games into one huge campaign?

This is the first I've heard of it.

I would also like to know more.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

By the rules as written, yes, so long as each Kubelwagen is carrying a single team. One of those is going to be overflowing with dudes, but hey, we once crammed 9 people into a Chevette so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Realistically you're looking at 5 men to each car, but to make the bookkeeping easier just assign each team to its own car.

Similarly, cramming 15 dudes into an Opel is going to be a tight fit, but it can be done.

JcDent posted:

I think by the rules as written task rolls can only be made if a team didn't move that phase, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't treat it like shooting (i.e. move 6" and do your task at half effect, rounding down)

JcDent posted:

Not as far as I can tell. There's a chance that the demolitions won't go off, which I think captures any potential issues with command wires getting damaged or cut.

JcDent posted:

So long as the troops in it are already "a team," then yes. By this I mean if you've got your 3-man LMG team and have organized 3 of your riflemen into a mine clearing team (with the remaining 9 riflemen forming your third rifle team), then you're good to go. What you can't do is use a 1 to peel off some arbitrary number of dudes from your rifle team and send them to go do something, as cutting up a pre-existing team during play requires the expenditure of a Command Initiative (as an aside, the most common use of a CI in this way is creating a scout team on the fly from a squad that has already deployed).

JcDent posted:

No. If the Junior Leader wants to use a single CI, he is activating the squad as a whole and each constituent team must generally take the same action (the exception being if a team needs to move to get into a better position to fire, one team can fire at full effect and the other can move and fire at half effect - but both still need to target the same enemy). If the Junior Leader wants different squads to do different things, he needs to activate each separately using multiple CIs.

JcDent posted:

Nope. Ultimately, Shock management is what wins or loses games. A well-placed Senior Leader can make a huge difference.

JcDent posted:

It's just for engineering teams, so IIRC each flamethrower team has 3 uses.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Can't believe how much more detail I can pick out of the same minis printed at 15mm vs 6mm.

Will 2022 be the year I finally finish a napoleonics army?? Maybe!

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Is there a good place to order Victrix online for shipping here in sunny Canada? I'm fine using their site, but of course closer would be better for shipping cost/speed. Those ancient Germans are just too drat sexy looking for me to resist any longer.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

I like how the brown wash makes it look like it's built from wood. Colour the rivets silver and you're all set!

Hah! Well it's armour is about as effective as wood, so that makes sense! :D I just tried making the tank and tankette as grungy looking as possible, seeing as neither are all that good/renowned. (I mean, I don't see any films made about M15/42 crews!) I miiight've over done the wash a little though, haha

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Will 2022 be the year I finally finish a napoleonics army?? Maybe!

A Napoleonics army is NEVER finished.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Cessna posted:

A Napoleonics army is NEVER finished.

Unless you're doing a 1:1 ratio like that one guy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

"I have painted 630,000 Austrians. Now on to the British."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

"I have painted 630,000 Austrians. Now on to the British."

Oh but did you paint the depot battalions too?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

With Wargames Atlantic releasing 28mm plastic Boxers soon, I'm thinking of starting a Boxer Rebellion project.

It looks like my options for the colonial powers are:
Victorious Miniatures
Redoubt Enterprises
Old Glory

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with any of these companies and could share their impressions?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Maybe germane to some folks' interest here, but I wrote a thing:

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-asymmetric-conflict-in-wargaming/

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Sell it man, it’s a brilliant article!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Good article! I've been kinda interested in ancient/medieval for a while but it always seems frustrating how "barbarian" armies are portrayed. I do kinda like one-and-done tournament style mass battle games but even then there's things you can do both in unit and scenario design- for the latter I know at least a lot of FFG/AMG mini games have a bid system where the player with less points gets the advantage in selecting the scenario and terrain. (I've noticed that there's a similar system in FoG and ADLG but in that case it further rewards armies with "good command"). I'd also be interested if anyone has good historical sources on this kind of premodern asymmetric combat

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

StashAugustine posted:

Good article! I've been kinda interested in ancient/medieval for a while but it always seems frustrating how "barbarian" armies are portrayed.

How do you mean?

Edit: ahh, I started reading the article and I think. I know how you mean. "more dudes" is the wrong way to make barbarian armies.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 19, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ilor posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-asymmetric-conflict-in-wargaming/

This is really interesting - good article!

I like how Blücher handles this, if you use the "Scharnhorst" system to set up the game - it's a fast, pre-game based around strategic-style movements that set up individual games quickly without the detail of a campaign system. I like that approach, and they do some interesting things with irregulars and Spanish partisans that don't add much at the tabletop level but help on that Scharnhorst level - things like giving the Spanish player more information, or delaying some elements of the French force or whatever.

I like that idea of meso-level gaming between strategy and tactical, but it doesn't seem to be used much. I think it might shine for asymmetric conflicts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Good read. It reminded me of how Force on Force handled some things very well and others very poorly with regards to this sort of thing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I was too busy thinking if I COULD print out a whole Blücher brigade in one go that I didn't stop to think if I SHOULD

Painting this is going to be a nightmare. Maybe this is a better case for 2mm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i gave up on 6 mm miniatures even though it was my most preferred scale because i hate painting and that's a LOT of painting.

i will not be returning until i can get a full colour 3d printer (which is coming, i guess)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I was too busy thinking if I COULD print out a whole Blücher brigade in one go that I didn't stop to think if I SHOULD

Painting this is going to be a nightmare. Maybe this is a better case for 2mm.

You could do a "map scale" game with them just being mono-colour blocks, but I don't know if that's the kind of thing you want to do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

You could do a "map scale" game with them just being mono-colour blocks, but I don't know if that's the kind of thing you want to do.

Go go 2mm!

This, I'm digging.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Go go 2mm!

This, I'm digging.

Tiny and adorable!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Do the bases have to be that fat? But hell yeah 2mm, I’d really like to make some massive 1:1 battles

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

zokie posted:

Do the bases have to be that fat? But hell yeah 2mm, I’d really like to make some massive 1:1 battles

Blücher standard bases are 3"X2" or so, but the game uses base widths as a unit of measurement so they can be any size .

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Go go 2mm!

This, I'm digging.

Ok FINE I’ll do some 2mm this year

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I will play 2mm.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Big fan of those little notches on the base. Haven't seen that before.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I meant the height, base is almost as high as the little duders

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

zokie posted:

I meant the height, base is almost as high as the little duders

Oh yeah, that part I'm still tweaking. The little label bar on the back is held on with magnets for interchangeability, so I needed to make it thicket to accomodate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wanna play days long 1:1 2mm campaigns on a modelled tennis court