Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cool Dad posted:

Wait, he just threw out her stuff? I was on his side until that, just store it you jackass

He didn't have any space, so he gave it all away, what's wrong with that? (is what this total jackass is saying in the comments)

also LOL "We were one big happy family!" Really? Your daughter doesn't sound happy!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The dad is also doing the "she chose to spend Christmas with her boyfriend instead of with ME" thing. She's miffed at him, and he can't process it as anything except her being unfair to his new wife. And the three calls the day-of, and oops you missed it, I tossed your stuff and never thought of it again so I didn't bother to tell you. So you get a sense of how he does everything relating to the daughter, it's basically negligence/expecting her to bend around him. It's not that he cleared out her room, it's that he's TA in every interaction.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my BIL I don't want to pretend to be his kids' mother?

This story freaks me out and I hope there is an update. Until then I am assuming the missing sister is loving dead

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Midnight Voyager posted:

He didn't have any space, so he gave it all away, what's wrong with that? (is what this total jackass is saying in the comments)

also LOL "We were one big happy family!" Really? Your daughter doesn't sound happy!

Also revealed in the comments: his two younger kids, a 13 year old boy and a 17 year old girl, are now rooming together so the steps can have their own rooms.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Yup, and the expectation seems to be that the 17 year old will be booted out once they graduate. Hopefully the 14 year old can put the next 4 years to good use!

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for having my wedding on the same date as my stepsister's?

quote:

I have a stepsister "Claire" who I really haven't seen since she left for college at 18. I see her at the occasional holiday dinner, but we have zero relationship. Honestly I can't stand her and just everything about her personality is ugh to me.

My mom married Clarie's dad when I was 13 and she was 14, and Claire made it very clear she wasn't interested in being a family. She was very stand offish (she had experienced some serious abuse at her mom's house) and she was kind of mean. She mostly kept to herself but made it clear she thought she was better than us. We had a couple vicious fights but I don't really have bad feelings towards her at this point, I just don't like her.

Claire got engaged a few months before me and set the date for September 2022. I'm not invited which is expected. When I got engaged, I immediately knew where I wanted to hold my wedding and the closest date I could get to what I wanted was Clarie's date. I figured it would be fine. We have no extended family, no mutual friends. My mom could go to mine and her dad could go to hers (neither of us is close to the other's parent) I picked the date because I didn't want a winter wedding and the other ones were too close to December.

When I told my mom she flipped out and said I am humiliating her by making her come without her husband, and this is the equivalent of not letting her have a plus one. She said my dad will be there with his wife and she will look like a loser who can't get a man (umm everyone knows she is married) She said the wedding won't be fun for her without her husband, and how could I be so selfish. She is also annoyed that my stepdad will be at Claire's wedding without her, with his ex there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

edgeman83 posted:

Yup, and the expectation seems to be that the 17 year old will be booted out once they graduate. Hopefully the 14 year old can put the next 4 years to good use!

Hey, come on now. It's new family time. These used children need to get with the program here.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Funktastic posted:

AITA for having my wedding on the same date as my stepsister's?

I mean, yeah kinda.

You knew when you picked it. Also the excuses provided seem kinda flimsy.

Stepsister does sound kinda lovely (according to OP) but this just feels like a petty play.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for Telling my Fiancé I’m not playing Legend of Zelda Anymore?

quote:

Alright, so I know this may sound dramatic but here’s the story and some background information.

Whenever I (24f) find a new hobby my fiancé (30m) piggy backs onto it, making it a competition and tries to prove a point that whether or not I like something he’s better than me at it and it gets under my skin.

I got myself Breath of the Wild for Christmas and I was really really enjoying it until he started back seat gaming telling me how I should play, getting frustrated at me for not listening to him when he’s distracting me from the game by saying generic things like “the monster is over there”, getting annoyed that I’m doing things like foraging. I woke up this morning to him playing it which was fine, until he started telling me “see, I got further than you.”, “it took you this long to get to this part but it only took me this long.”, “you can’t even ride a bear.” And now I’m pissed off because I don’t want to play games for the competition of it, I just want to have fun.

He asked me if I was going to be playing it today and I told him I’m done playing it because I don’t want another thing I enjoy ruined because of his need to want to be better than me. He told me I’m being dramatic and that I’m selfish for not wanting him to play the game. AITA for being upset about this?

i'm real sad that OP has taken a guy like this off the market

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

What kind of loving weenie makes a competition out of loving Breath of the Wild? Playing at your own pace and in whatever order you want is, like, literally the game's entire schtick

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'm [23F] feeling betrayed after my friend [23F] and her boyfriend [24M] proposed a foursome

quote:

My best friend Rebeccah [23F] and I both met our boyfriends freshman year of college. I love her to death and Todd seems to make her happy, so all was well. As it happens with some relationships, we drifted apart a bit. She would reach out trying to make plans just to cancel them shortly before. It stung a bit, especially since we lived very close by, but I just brushed it off and carried on. I never had any proof other than intuition, but I always felt her boyfriend was the reason. My friend is really sweet and caring, always bending over backwards to make people happy. This behavior didn't really track.

We eventually kind of fall off completely, and I don't really hear from her for about a year. Suddenly, she reconnects with me, we hang out and it's great. Like no time has passed at all. My boyfriend [24M] of 5 years, Dan, and Todd are good friends, so while we're together he comes to pick her up and we all catch up for a bit. They leave and I fully expect to not hear from her again for a while. It's like a switch has flipped though, and she starts reaching out consistently. We end up seeing them more in the last few months than the past 3 years. Every time her boyfriend comes now too. I assume they missed us, and felt really happy the friendship hadn't withered and died like I feared.

NYE comes and we all go to a small get together hosted by some friends. After, we take an Uber back to Dan and I's apartment where they spend the night. I end up passing out before everyone, but after they leave Dan told me Todd was probing around, asking if we'd be comfortable with a foursome. I laugh it off as drunken ramblings, but make it clear that's absolutely not something I'd be okay with. Rebeccah reaches out again shortly after this, and we make plans to see a movie at their place. The entire time Todd is giving very obvious signals. He's sitting way too close to me, finding excuses to touch me, telling me I'm sweet and beautiful. I ask Rebeccah if we can talk for a minute so I can ask her to call off her boyfriend without embarrassing anyone, and she brushes me off, telling me "anything I want to say I can here, there's no secrets among friends." I'm horribly uncomfortable and we leave after about an hour, before the movies finished. I talk to Dan about it again, reiterating that I hate this idea and his friend's behavior, and we let it drop after I tell him I'm going to have to put my foot down and tell Rebeccah about how I'm not good with this at all. I should've done it there and then, but honestly the thought of them feeling rejected and permanently ending the friendship had me hesitant.

The next day, Dan brings up that Todd had texted him bringing up the idea yet again. He shows me the messages, and not only am I super creeped out by Todd's persistence, but Dan has completely misrepresented my feelings on the matter. He's made it seem like I was interested, just nervous and in need of encouragement. He specifically says, "She loves the idea, just doesn't want anything to impact their friendship." Now here it may be important to mention Dan and I have talked about bringing in another girl before all this. Whenever we talked though, I made it clear I was referring to a stranger, someone from a bar or Tindr. I specifically said I didn't feel attracted to any of my friends, they're like sisters to me. Plus, the potential complications from casually hooking up with friends is just not worth it in my opinion. This whole thing has just cemented that.

We argue about his phrasing. He claims the "she loves the idea" comment was about our talks about other girls, that he wasn't trying to go behind my back and advocate for this, just politely deter his friend while pushing for Rebeccah and I to talk about it. I cannot wrap my head around how he decided saying it like that was the best way to go about it. It seems more likely he's interested too and doesn't want the idea shot down. He denied this, and I can see how our previous conversations make this weird situation even more confusing, but I really thought I made myself clear to him it's a no. It seems to me I'm the odd man out and I'm getting pressured from all sides, which I really don't appreciate. Especially from the people closest to me (once upon a time anyway).

I'm fairly certain Rebeccah's renewed interest in our friendship is entirely because Todd wants to gently caress. This girl and I had been so close for so long, just for her to essentially drop me. Todd always had various excuses to cancel anytime we planned on catching up over the last few years, but now that there's possibly something in it for him, suddenly they're the most attentive "friends" on the planet. I love Rebeccah, she's very sweet and kindhearted, albeit easily influenced. It's making it difficult for me to not sweep all the blame towards Todd, though I know that's likely not fair. I'm probably just too close to the situation.

I love my friend. But I'm feeling betrayed and a bit hopeless. I'm not sure whether this is a death sentence for Rebeccah and I's friendship or not. I'm seeing her soon to talk all this through, and I'm not really sure what to say. I know Todd's going to be there too, to further heap on the awkward. How would you handle this Reddit?

TLDR; Boyfriend's friend proposes foursome between me, my boyfriend, and bestfriend after a long period of being awol. They become very persistent. I'm not cool with it, boyfriend makes it seem like I am. Not sure if the friendship can be salvaged.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

I'm [23F] feeling betrayed after my friend [23F] and her boyfriend [24M] proposed a foursome

Lady, I don't know if your relationship with your boyfriend can be salvaged either, or whether you should want to.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

quote:

The next day, Dan brings up that Todd had texted him bringing up the idea yet again. He shows me the messages, and not only am I super creeped out by Todd's persistence, but Dan has completely misrepresented my feelings on the matter. He's made it seem like I was interested, just nervous and in need of encouragement. He specifically says, "She loves the idea, just doesn't want anything to impact their friendship."

oh poo poo no, oh hell no. get rid of all three of these assholes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

am i in the wrong for being upset? i (21f) told my bf (25m) that i wanted a push-up bra

quote:

i messaged him saying that i wanted to buy one bc i wanna see what i look like with one on. i’m pretty shy and reserved so i didn’t really plan on wearing it out in public, just wanted to see what it was like. i told him all of this and his response:

“You can go try one on but if you’re not going to wear it in front of me and/or you’re going to wear it in front of other people then absolutely not”

i feel like he’s being controlling? i didn’t ask him if i could buy it. if i were to buy it, it would be with my own money.

tdlr: bf told me i couldn’t buy a push-up bra when i didn’t ask

Top-rated comment:

quote:

You need one that is supportive and uplifting, without being too restrictive or painful.

And by that I mean boyfriend, not bra.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Foo Diddley posted:

oh poo poo no, oh hell no. get rid of all three of these assholes

Seriously. It's a new year, time for some new friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But what if she needs to take a quad poop?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Barudak posted:

A number 8?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Barudak posted:

She'd have to have incredible anal dexterity for that. Put your hand between her butt cheeks and feel a horse nuzzling for carrot sticks down there.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

B-Rock452 posted:

If she is a climber she should just look up ring degloving photos and send them to him every day until he shuts up

He'd just argue that he doesn't expect her to wear it during "sport", just during all other life activities.

Never mind that she is wearing it, on a necklace, because it's not the Culturally Approved signifier that she is taken, gents, back off.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A handy rule of thumb is that if the staff is siding against the person who is technically in the right, that person is way out of line. Evicting paying customers is not good business and is not done unless strictly necessary.

Yeah. The train wasn't full, there just weren’t seats where the mum could sit and have her kids where she could easily keep eyes on them. And the staff isn't about to go "Yeah, let's force the young child to be alone on a train so a grown man can sit in one specific seat. That's not going to be a PR nightmare at all."

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my brother to stop spoiling my daughter

Tarkus posted:

Maybe it's just me but situations like that make me wonder if there's more going nefarious on between the brother and Tessa or that the brother has designs on her.

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah I got major creep vibes from that one, but I also recognize that probably says more on me then the brother.

Eh, looking at the timeline presented, OP managed to "not notice" Tessa being treated like poo poo for the past 9 or 10 years. I can see the brother going "Yeah, no, I'm making up for you being abused for the past decade as best I can".

threelemmings posted:

Remember 3 from one father, older kid from another. The poster only "noticed" abuse when it was directed at the children she cares about, even though the ex was acting the same to all the kids.

No idea about the brother in general but his statement of evening out how she's been treated over the years at least tracks.

Plus, the poster "noticed" it when he started in on Ava...who is two and that's what prompted her to divorce his rear end. Which leaves some pretty damning questions unanswered about what, exactly, the ex was doing to those kids.

Variable 5 posted:

Taking them at that word means they either think she's too stupid to be involved in the conversation (she doesn't have to be), or they're discussing PII in the middle of a restaurant.

Why not both?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I get the odd feeling that mom wouldn't give a gently caress what her brother was(is/might be) up to if she was also getting swag.

True, but I suspect her brother is punishing her in the only way he can for having just ignored Tessa's abuse for years. He's even doing it via Decorum: he gave her a roof over her head and a room of her own...just not as nice of one as Tessa and the younger kids. He gave her a Christmas gift...just not as nice of one as Tessa or the younger kids. And there's no way she can call him on it without showing her rear end. Like she is.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

halflings take a -4 penalty on that roll

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling a teenager that a wedding is significantly more important than her birthday and she needs to grow up?

quote:

I invited my soon to be MIL wedding dress shopping as an olive branch because we don't have the best relationship. She accepted but asked if she could bring her BF's 15 year old daughter "Emily" because Emily loves fashion. Honestly I think it was more of MIL has some anxiety around my family and wanted an ally, so I said yes.

Emily is ok but ridiculously spoiled. Her divorced parents are in competition for her love and both have some serious cash to throw around. Emily is having a sweet 16 the same month I am having my wedding, and she has been talking about it non-stop, picking out the car she wants, making plans for the actual day. Her birthday is a Wednesday, but the party is a Saturday, so she still expects something special on her birthday. She will be going to Disney with her BF, her dad and MIL. She has already let her mother know that since her birthday falls on his custody time, her mom can "make it up to her" So she is having 3 birthdays. I internally roll my eyes a little, but it isn't my business.

We had a nice day planned of lunch and wedding dress shopping. It started off ok, though MIL demanded a sip of MILs champagne and I was a bit worried about getting kicked out because it is a liability, but MIL told me to chill and her BF has been giving Emily sips since she was 12.

The issue began when Emily was walking around the boutique and found a dress she loved for her party. MIL told her to try it on, which kind of bothered me because it wasn't Emily's event. My mom told MIL that it was bad etiquette and MIL seemed surprised. I will give MIL the benefit of the doubt that she didn't know because she is pretty socially oblivious. Emily came out and heard the conversation and told MIL she didn't do anything wrong and we were being "zillas" I nicely asked Emily to stay out of the adult conversation, and Emily told MIL that it isn't even her fault her relationship with her son is strained because we are so nit picky and she was literally just trying on a dress.

I snapped at Emily that she has no idea what she is talking about and maybe when she is older she'll have a clue, but a wedding is way way more important than some birthday party. I said birthdays come every year and it really isn't that special. Emily told me to chill and why can't I share and all the dresses I tried on were "basic" Finally MIL told Emily they were leaving and stormed out (after paying for the dress) MILs boyfriend is pissed and said I'm a drama queen, i shouldn't be fighting with his kid, and I'm so mean to MIL.

"Hush now child, the adults are talking!"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for yelling at my stepsister about how my dad is not her dad?

quote:

I (18F) have lived with my my single mother and she shut me down anytime I asked about dad. Until he showed up 2 years ago.

My dad explained that he had no idea about me because they broke it off before my mom found out I was pregnant and asked to get to know me. I was hesitant at first but I agreed and it was perfect. After a while he began introducing me to my family and lastly his gf and her daughter. They have hated me from the start.

I realized living with my mom is unsafe so I made the hard decision of asking my dad to move in with him. He immediately agreed and I moved in with him and my half brothers.

Last year my dad’s gf and daughter moved in with us and let’s just say living with them has been hell.

They will steal from me, I have heard the gossip about me multiple times and just overall exclude me from the family. They will always make passive aggressive comments about how lucky stepsis is to have had “our dad” be there growing up. On my birthday she even gifted me a photo album of them together and said I should se how much of a great dad he was. My brothers noticed and told me to tell dad about everything but I dismissed them.

My aunt has taken me shopping multiple times which has caused problems with my step mom and my stepsis complains that my aunt is only spoiling me and it’s not fair to which my aunt replied that I’m her priority right now and she needs to make up for lost time.

Well what made me snap was the fact that I’m planning a trip for me and my dad because he has been really busy these months and we haven’t got to hang out. When we talked with the fam my brother said he was planing one with his girl too and we should sync it together and I was ecstatic for it.

Last night my other brother gathered us on the living room for a surprise and told us he bought tickets for us and my brother and his gf and that he and dad talked and thought it was a great idea. My step sister got really happy and asked where are we staying to which my brother replied that its a trip for my dad and his kids.

My stepsis and stepmom snapped and started yelling at me about how he was her dad first and how I stole her daughters dad. I got really mad and I yelled back and said my dad is not your dad. She got really mad and said she wishes he never came to look for me. I said that’s something your (stepsis) dad does. My dad dragged my stepmom in another room and they started arguing and my stepmom left with my stepsis.

They have been making posts about me and random people have texted me all sorts of insults. Even my uncles wife says I’m an rear end in a top hat for ruining a relationship over vacation. My brothers told my dad everything and he said they are never getting back together.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Akumu posted:

Really burying the lede that he threw away all his daughter's stuff.

Yeah the lede is buried because it's at the landfill with all the daughter's stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sullat posted:

Yeah the lede is buried because it's at the landfill with all the daughter's stuff

Ah, Jimmy Hoffa's Lede

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

op posted:

Alright, so I know this may sound dramatic

Whaaat? No, not at all

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling a teenager that a wedding is significantly more important than her birthday and she needs to grow up?

Both the girl and the OP sound like assholes, I suppose they deserve one another.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evil Willow posted:

I rrally wanted to hate the spoiled teenager that gets 3 birthdays from her rich parents but god drat am I having a hard time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

limp_cheese posted:

I rrally wanted to hate the spoiled teenager that gets 3 birthdays from her rich parents but god drat am I having a hard time.

Oh there's an easy solution here actually!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

in the spirit of 2022 I recommend throwing all of these people in the trash

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Evil Willow posted:

Finally MIL told Emily they were leaving and stormed out (after paying for the dress)

Why did OP even include that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

"Family birthday and friends birthday" is extremely normal and with a divorce "mom birthday, dad birthday, friends birthday" isn't particularly unusual either.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kimbo305 posted:

Why did OP even include that.
To clarify that Emily didn't just get to try on a dress, she got a dress as a present.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

"Family birthday and friends birthday" is extremely normal and with a divorce "mom birthday, dad birthday, friends birthday" isn't particularly unusual either.

Was gonna say, even as an adult, up until my family moved out of state I always had a “family birthday”, a “close friends on the actual day of my birthday” and a “basically everyone I knew on the weekend before or after my birthday”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

To clarify that Emily didn't just get to try on a dress, she got a dress as a present.

Oh jeez, I thought it meant MIL had paid for a dress OP had picked.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my boyfriend that he needs to stop watching a certain streamer?

quote:

So my boyfriend of 4 years watches a streamer a lot, Im talking that this streamer streams for upwards of 8 hours a day and he'll watch him the whole time, assuming he isnt at work. When he is at work he then comes home and watches the stream after it has already ended.

Recently on a stream this streamer had made a comment about women "asking" for it when wearing certain revealing clothes. My boyfriend thought this was hilarious and was telling me about it as if it was so funny. He was surprised when I told him it in fact wasnt funny and that he needs to stop watching this streamer, since he has expressed other toxic views around things like mental health before and this was the last straw for me.

I would also like to note that I am a SA survivor myself so this topic really hit a nerve for me and he didnt like that I was telling him what to do. Called me dramatic and that he doesnt support cancel culture along with that him not watching the stream would really make no difference. He really pushed that it wouldnt make a difference if he stopped watching and that he doesnt want to lose his biggest source of entertainment.

Some other background information I would also like to add is that he has been watching this streamer for a very long time now, about two years. Since he has started watching him he has gained more conservative views on things like mental health and sexism. I know these views are coming from this streamer because my boyfriend constantly is listening to him and refuses to wear headphones so its just constant background noise, even in the car when we run errands.

Im just really hurt that he thinks its all just jokes and its funny to laugh at when it really isnt. He knows my full history so I have no idea why he thought it would be something I'd laugh at. I just dont know if I crossed the line when I told him to no longer watch that streamer.

nbd, just listening to hate speech like it's a full time job. lighten up already, it's just jokes

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend that he needs to stop watching a certain streamer?

throw the whole man out, and his poggers streamer buddy

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Phuzzy posted:

throw the whole man out, and his poggers streamer buddy

Judging from her posting history, that man is also afraid of period sex and sex toys. He must have a very clean rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Judging from her posting history, that man is also afraid of period sex and sex toys. He must have a very clean rear end.

Pardonome, madam, but before you go, the rear end in a top hat, she is spotless

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Wedding drama never gets old!

AITA for making this condition on attending my brother's wedding?

quote:

My younger brother Sean is getting married soon, he sent out invitations thst included everyone in the family. I found out that he was going by the "no +1 unless engaged or married" rule, I felt confused since I've been in a long term (7 years now) relationship with my girlfriend and I was counting on having her to come with me to the wedding.

I asked Sean and fiancee about it and asked if they were aware they were excluding my partner with this rule and they gave a "too bad, so sad" type of reaction, but I told him alright then he shouldn't expect me to come either. He freaked out and called mom who said since I'm the oldest in the family then my presence at the wedding is a must. I told them I will attend the wedding under one condition and that is to have my girlfriend attend with me. Sean tried to pull the "she's not official" and "she's not family" crap on me but I told him enough, I remained calm yet strict with my condition. Mom said my girlfriend can miss one event no big deal and said I shouldn't be putting conditions on my brother's wedding to force his hand like that. I said that is all I have and left after a huge meltdown from mom and sean accusing me of trying to "alter" the wedding, disrespecting their beliefs and pushing my own on them, oh and went as far as accusing me of planning to steal the event so I could "propose" to my girlfriend. Smh.

The rest of the family got into it yelling at me for disrupting the wedding and trying to control and bully my brother into letting me do what I want on his Goddamn wedding, and said it wasn't about and up to me to put conditions and went on about how I should support him as his only sibling and a father figure since dad is deceased. But I think I'm trying to stand by my girlfriend and our relationship that means so much to me but they see it as me choosing her over my brother. AITA?

One of my friends got married a couple of years ago in a botanical garden in Melbourne. The whole thing lasted less than 20 minutes, and the celebrant did the "mawwiage" speech from The Princess Bride. Best wedding EVER!!! If anyone on here is familiar with The Four Kinsmen, my friend married one of them and another was the celebrant.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

Wedding drama never gets old!

AITA for making this condition on attending my brother's wedding?

I might be biased but totally with the OP here. I got invited to one of those 'no plus ones' weddings years ago, shortly after I'd had a tough break up. Felt a little insecure going without the new bf but then the bride to be mentioned that she'd invited my ex, who I still wasn't speaking to. Went anyway, figured I could avoid him until I got there and realised the ex was also the wedding singer. Got drunk, left early.