Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Silver Rule, which is derived from the transitive properties of the Golden Rule:

GR = "Treat others the way you would have them treat you."

IF = Someone treats you lovely THEN they are declaring that they would like you to treat them lovely

THEREFORE

It is okay to treat them lovely

THUS

Treat others the way they have already treated you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I love when conservatives find like one example of hypocrisy and beat it to death, pretending they suddenly care.

"She's eating at a restaurant! With no mask! (outside)... Which is exactly what I think she should be able to do! In fact, she shouldn't need the mask at all because they're bullshit!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if jim henson were alive today he'd make a 15 second youtube video of kermit saying "gently caress that goofy canadian guy"

at least i'm pretty sure henson was a cool dude. i could be wrong. maube he was ein sexmonster or something. but im pretty sure he was a cool hippie who hated THE MAN

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

E; Wrong thread

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's something magical about a person seeing a mundane "racism is bad" message, and immediately getting all wound up and pissy because they take it as a personal attack.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's something magical about a person seeing a mundane "racism is bad" message, and immediately getting all wound up and pissy because they take it as a personal attack.

I find it about as magical as someone comparing a mask mandate to the holocaust, if we're both using magical as the same euphemism.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Beartaco posted:

Do you have a lot of people dining masked over there? I admire the dedication to fighting the virus but...

No. Can't speak for where this was taken (NY or DC?), but my experience is probably similar enough. Washington handled COVID with more seriousness in other places, and typically we are encouraged to wear masks when walking around the restaurant but no-one wears them when actually eating and drinking.

If you're vaxxed and eating/drinking outside you're probably going to be OK even with Omicron.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
genius coiffed millionaire siberian medical treatment guy complains about elites

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

well if they're a racist then it is an attack :haw:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

genius coiffed millionaire siberian medical treatment guy complains about elites

haha yeah we should be like him and get our medical science information from sketchy russian scams that fry your brain and a trust fund daughter who says eating an all meat diet cures everything including cancer

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, how does that OP of that tweet misunderstand the point so much? Treating everyone equally was called "inadequate", meaning not sufficient, meaning "more is required". Meanwhile, OP claims that not to treat others equally is racist. But.... The loving ad says 'do more!'

:psyduck:

They believe that minorities are only held back by being lazy layabouts who want special treatment, and that they could get wealth and privilege through hard work if they just put their minds to it.

This is also why poor people should not be given anything and wealthy people should be allowed to do whatever they want. Presence of wealth = presence of morality.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I think we are thinking more about their outrage over that ad than they did. They simply saw the "white parents" label and are doing the whole, "Curious, you claim to be anti-racist yet you're noticing race" preset Skinnerbox reaction and rubbed their hands in owned-the-libs glee.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Who What Now posted:

I'm going to relay what my most recent psychiatrist told me: there is too much demand for mental health services for a psychiatrist to be both the primary therapist and the primary medication provider at the same time. Both are full time positions for a health care provider and most people don't have time to do both. So now the work is divided between medication providers and therapy providers.

This is by no means a universal view, it's just what one of my providers explained to me.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I see both and I usually see my psychologist for 45-60 minutes and my psychiatrist for 5 minutes.

Well I now have an additional therapist too that I see for 45-60 minutes as well.
Psychiatrists have patients, psychologists have clients. Part of the problem is that people got to a psychiatrist expecting Sigmund Freud and instead they get Doctor Feelgood. Psychiatry as caricaturized by pop culture where you talk to some expensive person - that's pretty much psychology now.

I brought up the possibility of ADHD meds with my MD who has told me if I really need a script to call a number that will ostensibly connect me to psychiatric services in another state, and treat them like an impersonal, expensive pill mill. the reviews for publicly accessible psychiatrists in my city all have a common theme - they're more concerned about the money and making a prescription for the symptoms pre-verified by another doctor, than any semblance of a methodical care plan or actually talking to the patient. I've read about good psychiatrists but never actually heard about them.

Meanwhile I've heard of more good psychologists than bad ones, and personally I've only had good ones. Best one was at a university "clinic" for graduates to get some experience in and I'm guessing that was due to them getting the latest in training plus still having enthusiasm. Worst one I know of was trying to help someone I know with some recent indescribably bad trauma by waffling on about religion just because their client was a churchgoer. Another person I know had to try a few before they found one that actually understood their situation. It's a mixed bag.

Despite the nuances of professional help it's still better than the alternative. Doing nothing about feeling terrible all the time really isn't worth it even if you think it's normal (holy poo poo it is not normal to feel like poo poo all the time for no reason, if that sounds like you and you have access to mental health services ffs use them), and self-medication and self-therapy is dangerous as gently caress. I've seen too many people trying it fall into either the rabbit hole of hippy bullshit, or whatever the gently caress it is that JBP and the right wing self-righteous angersphere are peddling.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

precision posted:

if jim henson were alive today he'd make a 15 second youtube video of kermit saying "gently caress that goofy canadian guy"

at least i'm pretty sure henson was a cool dude. i could be wrong. maube he was ein sexmonster or something. but im pretty sure he was a cool hippie who hated THE MAN

Jim Henson wasn't Fred Rogers but was on the same page, RIP muppet dude

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 5, 2022

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Sausages posted:

Psychiatrists have patients, psychologists have clients. Part of the problem is that people got to a psychiatrist expecting Sigmund Freud and instead they get Doctor Feelgood. Psychiatry as caricaturized by pop culture where you talk to some expensive person - that's pretty much psychology now.

I brought up the possibility of ADHD meds with my MD who has told me if I really need a script to call a number that will ostensibly connect me to psychiatric services in another state, and treat them like an impersonal, expensive pill mill. the reviews for publicly accessible psychiatrists in my city all have a common theme - they're more concerned about the money and making a prescription for the symptoms pre-verified by another doctor, than any semblance of a methodical care plan or actually talking to the patient. I've read about good psychiatrists but never actually heard about them.

Meanwhile I've heard of more good psychologists than bad ones, and personally I've only had good ones. Best one was at a university "clinic" for graduates to get some experience in and I'm guessing that was due to them getting the latest in training plus still having enthusiasm. Worst one I know of was trying to help someone I know with some recent indescribably bad trauma by waffling on about religion just because their client was a churchgoer. Another person I know had to try a few before they found one that actually understood their situation. It's a mixed bag.

Despite the nuances of professional help it's still better than the alternative. Doing nothing about feeling terrible all the time really isn't worth it even if you think it's normal (holy poo poo it is not normal to feel like poo poo all the time for no reason, if that sounds like you and you have access to mental health services ffs use them), and self-medication and self-therapy is dangerous as gently caress. I've seen too many people trying it fall into either the rabbit hole of hippy bullshit, or whatever the gently caress it is that JBP and the right wing self-righteous angersphere are peddling.
There are psychiatrists who act as therapists who are able to write prescriptions, but I think the financial structure makes getting an MD and spending a lot of time a lot of time on each patient an expensive proposition.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

Nobody should like Michio Kaku IMO, he's a fabulist who makes up nonsense to peddle to people who are curious about physics. I've only ever read or heard from his schtick stuff that is either a) delivered better, more succinctly, more correct, and in a less self-aggrandizing way than Kaku by other science communicators (somehow even NGT is less self-aggrandizing than Kaku) or b) made up sci-fi bullshit that inspires woo.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on you or anything, I just really have a strong dislike for that guy. I mean I bet he's a nice person and all but his public persona, ugh.

I bet michio kaku is a real freak if you get him drunk

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 5, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

kaschei posted:

There are psychiatrists who act as therapists who are able to write prescriptions, but I think the financial structure makes getting an MD and spending a lot of time a lot of time on each patient an expensive proposition.

The best thing to do is go to a clinic that has in-house therapy AND psychiatric services. Many times it will be a psychiatric licenced practicing nurse instead of a psychiatrist, but they can diagnose and prescribe. Plus then your meds provider and therapist are in the same practice and can coordinate your treatment together much more easily.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Psychiatrists go through medical school, through the common MD programme, then they specialize. The upside is they’re medical MD’s and thus can prescribe drugs. The downside is that there are multiple psychology schools, and each one requires a few years of specialization. As an MD, you need to add your psychiatry specialization to the psychology specialization, which will come out to around 12-15 years. A psychologist doesn’t go through the MD pipeline - there’s very little anatomy, for example, just to show you what a brain looks like - and they focus purely on theorhetical for the 5 years base MA study, then they further specialize into a particular school of psychology. That’s why they’re more focused, but also, less likely to help you with actual brain damage, physical trauma, etc. Kudos to psychoatrists who actually put in the time to becone psychotherapists, though - medicine itself is extreme, and these people lob a bit more on top of that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

eSporks posted:

Long long time ago someone introduced me to the platinum rule.

We all know the golden rule, "Treat others how you want to be treated." But the problem is that not everyone is you.
The platinum rule is, "Treat others how they want to be treated."

Treating people "equally" is bad, everyone is different with unique needs and wants, so it only makes sense to treat people differently based on that.

The golden rule is narcissistic, much like JORP, and it turns out if you are severely disgusted with yourself and treat yourself like garbage, you can then justify treating others the same way.

Eh... While I can understand the sentiment, there are some people (extreme narcissists, etc.) who shouldn't be treated the way THEY want to be treated because it endangers other people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's also people (masochists, bugchasers, etc) who shouldn't treat others the way they want to be treated because it endangers others! i can't believe these pithy generalisations are failing when applied to niche cases.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ghostlight posted:

there's also people (masochists, bugchasers, etc) who shouldn't treat others the way they want to be treated because it endangers others! i can't believe these pithy generalisations are failing when applied to niche cases.

frankly, sometimes six of one ISN'T half a dozen of the other!!!!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Samovar posted:

Eh... While I can understand the sentiment, there are some people (extreme narcissists, etc.) who shouldn't be treated the way THEY want to be treated because it endangers other people.
Of course, anything that boils morality down to a postcard is going to fall short, and oh boy, don't let a Narc think the golden rule is perfect morality.

It does remind me of another similar one though, I can't remember the phrasing. "Help that isn't done in the manner requested isn't help"

People will often try to help the way they want to, rather than the way that is wanted or needed. Sometimes this just causes problems or gets in the way, and then helpers get offended their help isn't received well.
Or ya know, like JORP claiming to help women in any capacity.

Obvious exceptions to that too, like trying to help a hoarder clean.

Barring mental health problems, both rules hold up pretty generally though.

hooksocks
Oct 14, 2012

cat flag

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I see both and I usually see my psychologist for 45-60 minutes and my psychiatrist for 5 minutes.

Well I now have an additional therapist too that I see for 45-60 minutes as well.

Same. Seeing psychiatrist for 5 minutes to rubber stamp the therapist’s suggestions is basically the only thing they do for me right now.

I’ve had some pretty bad personal experiences with doctors and Jordan reminds me of every stuck up, disinterested psychiatrist I’ve met. I was kinda surprised that he wasn’t a psychiatrist since everyone was always referring to him as Dr. Jordan Peterson

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

eSporks posted:

Of course, anything that boils morality down to a postcard is going to fall short, and oh boy, don't let a Narc think the golden rule is perfect morality.

It does remind me of another similar one though, I can't remember the phrasing. "Help that isn't done in the manner requested isn't help"

People will often try to help the way they want to, rather than the way that is wanted or needed. Sometimes this just causes problems or gets in the way, and then helpers get offended their help isn't received well.
Or ya know, like JORP claiming to help women in any capacity.

Obvious exceptions to that too, like trying to help a hoarder clean.

Barring mental health problems, both rules hold up pretty generally though.

Fair dos, I accept my comment was a bit pedantic. Just... felt that I couldn't let it go unaddressed?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Samovar posted:

Fair dos, I accept my comment was a bit pedantic. Just... felt that I couldn't let it go unaddressed?
Maybe I'm the pedant? Can we pedant friends?

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

ashpanash posted:

Even M.D.s can't prescribe pills for themselves.

really? must be a US thing, as an md in norway you can walk into any pharmacy and just tell them what you want, you have to do it in writing if it’s benzos or opiates etc and it might raise some eyebrows if you do it a lot but it’s certainly allowed

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Charles Ingalls posted:

really? must be a US thing, as an md in norway you can walk into any pharmacy and just tell them what you want, you have to do it in writing if it’s benzos or opiates etc and it might raise some eyebrows if you do it a lot but it’s certainly allowed

wow really? that sounds like a system that could be ripe for abuse

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
It’s logged and you’ll quickly lose your right to prescribe addictive drugs if you do it often, most just use it for antibiotics and stuff like that

Don’t think it’s much of an issue in practice

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember that America is a pit of suffering where everyone is miserable all the time. Hospitals lock up anything that could be a possible suicide drug as well, to stop doctors from killing themselves on the clock.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We are in physical and mental pain all the time because we are free. Duh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
America thinks the solution to "people want painkillers that actually work" is "make them very hard to get and expensive so that junkies have to do violence to afford them"

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
effective painkillers can’t have been all that hard to get considering the current opioid epidemic brought on by doctor prescribed oxycodone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Charles Ingalls posted:

effective painkillers can’t have been all that hard to get considering the current opioid epidemic brought on by doctor prescribed oxycodone

they weren't but it wasn't because doctors couldn't write their own prescriptions but rather we are a failed state that somehow allowed drive-thru opioid clinics and the screaming I hear cannot be silenced as it is coming from inside my brain.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got prescribed 100 solpadol for a back problem, and I was so paranoid about developing an opiate addiction, I only used them like, twice a day when I was supposed to use them at least 4 times a day.
Still used 90 of them before my back wasn't hosed and I still have a tiny stash of them to this day.
So the initial prescription was pretty drat accurate.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I sprained my ankle way back before there were strict rules around opioids and the doc prescribed me like a month's worth of codeine for it. ...I was fine after a few days.
I count myself lucky that all it did was make me sick and barf the first time I took it so I never took the rest. Turns out I'm allergic to that stuff. The neighbor kid though? He got hooked on that poo poo after he broke his leg in high school and his life has been one trainwreck after another ever since. Dude just never had a chance once he got a taste of that poo poo. It's sad as hell going home to visit my folks because while the rest of the neighborhood kids grew up and moved on he's still living with his parents and can't hold a job because of drugs and he's got a record from stealing to feed his addiction.

That said having a solid lol that the psychologist self help book guy and alt-right star not only specialized in addiction and talked down to addicts constantly and should have known better but still got himself hooked on benzos before going and checking himself into a former-Soviet state's coma spa center and his fans still worship him.

Like the sheer audacity of, "I see all these people falling into this woodchipper and getting mangled. Surely I'll be fine if I dip my toes in." Lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Charles Ingalls posted:

The opioid "epidemic" is exactly cause by prescription painkillers being harder to get than they should be and more expensive. People wouldn't buy things off the street if they could get it affordably from healthcare providers.

Whenever you hear about a doctor getting busted for writing scripts, it's 99% of the time a doctor who served a poor community. White upper class doctors never get in trouble unless they're very very stupid.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

precision posted:

Whenever you hear about a doctor getting busted for writing scripts, it's 99% of the time a doctor who served a poor community. White upper class doctors never get in trouble unless they're very very stupid.

Well and there's that family of supervillains who were giving doctors across the country huge kickbacks to overprescribe opiates out the wazoo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

precision posted:

The opioid "epidemic" is exactly cause by prescription painkillers being harder to get than they should be and more expensive. People wouldn't buy things off the street if they could get it affordably from healthcare providers.

sorry about your opiate addiction

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

precision posted:

yea opioids were hard to get that is so true wow you paid attention.

edit: are you by chance insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

precision posted:

The opioid epidemic started because pills were handed out like candy for several years, thanks in part to the Sackler family pushing them on doctors and dentists and pushing the myth that Oxycontin isn't addictive. They were too freely prescribed for everything and the prescribed dosages were addictive/dependent levels. People took the recommended doses of the prescription painkiller they were given for like getting their wisdom teeth removed, and became addicted