Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw spiderman in a plague box with only 8 people in it.

My commentary: it's tiny, but I appreciate that if you take the glider from goblin he apparently just starts using pro wrestling maneuvers. Pretty sure he power bombed spidey through four floors or something, and that is simplistic choreography I can get behind. Goblin gonna body slam a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ehhhh maybe depending on the degree of layity

Since I am posting here I think it's fair to assume my level of lay-ness. Lay-itude. The lay-factor. :heysexy:

... :(

Thank you, sincerely.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I saw spiderman in a plague box with only 8 people in it.

My commentary: it's tiny, but I appreciate that if you take the glider from goblin he apparently just starts using pro wrestling maneuvers. Pretty sure he power bombed spidey through four floors or something, and that is simplistic choreography I can get behind. Goblin gonna body slam a man.

Id let willem dafoe bodyslam me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

Id let willem dafoe bodyslam me

He seems like a generous lover

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He seems like a generous lover

Green Goblin? More like Keen Gobbler (of cocks).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

one requirement is that he has to do his neptune monologue from the lighthouse

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I know I've brought it up here before but I'd love if they did a re:View of Mystery Men. What a hosed production.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That cast always sounded like a fever dream

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mystery Men is good

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

henkman posted:

Mystery Men is good

Oh it's an excellent film, but the production of it sounds and looks like it was a nightmare. It's always going to bother me that Lena Olin is in the entire movie as Geoffrey Rush's girlfriend and only has dialogue in her first scene then never speaks ever again for the rest of the movie. Also the fact that it's the director's only movie gives me the feeling he was given the David Fincher Alien3 treatment and nope'd out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Oh it's an excellent film, but the production of it sounds and looks like it was a nightmare. It's always going to bother me that Lena Olin is in the entire movie as Geoffrey Rush's girlfriend and only has dialogue in her first scene then never speaks ever again for the rest of the movie. Also the fact that it's the director's only movie gives me the feeling he was given the David Fincher Alien3 treatment and nope'd out.

He just hated making a movie. By about half way through he had all but quit. He was much happier, less stressed and richer from doing commercials and music videos.

Pretty sure there's an interview where Hank Azaria talked about it briefly. The rumour since before it even came out was that it had been ghost directed by Tim Burton, but I don't think that was true.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love the scuttlebutt around ghost-directed movies

Spielberg doing Poltergeist
Garland doing Dredd
Gilroy reshooting so much of Rogue 1 that he could have easily gotten directing credit if he'd pushed

I love it!!! Post your stories

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Pretty sure there's an interview where Hank Azaria talked about it briefly. The rumour since before it even came out was that it had been ghost directed by Tim Burton, but I don't think that was true.

I'm curious what makes you say that, from whatever story I'd heard I was kind of thinking it might be

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Garland doing Dredd
Gilroy reshooting so much of Rogue 1 that he could have easily gotten directing credit if he'd pushed

Apparently large sections of the prequel trilogy were directed by a mannequin wearing sunglasses

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Poasty posted:

Apparently large sections of the prequel trilogy were directed by a mannequin wearing sunglasses

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mystery Men would be a great choice for a re:View. It sits right in that weird spot where in some ways it's brilliant and in other ways it's dumb garbage. And there's obviously a lot to be said about how it came out at basically exactly the wrong time to do a superhero spoof.

It's also what my brain always goes to when I try to remember what 1999 looked like.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm curious what makes you say that, from whatever story I'd heard I was kind of thinking it might be

The version I heard was that the Director was there for the whole shoot out of obligation more than anything, and the moment principal photography ended he bailed.

It's entirely possible Burton and others oversaw everything after that, including reshoots and the like, but I personally don't believe he was on set as a Director.

I'll find another quote if I can, but Azaria goes into it a bit here.

quote:

Mystery Men (1999)—“The Blue Raja” 

HA: [In the character’s voice.] “Master of silverware. Forks a speciality.” That movie… I look at it now very, very fondly. I actually just saw a little bit of it a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. It was one of those that was very, very difficult to make and should’ve been much more fun than it was. It was logistically a very hard movie to shoot, with all the effects, and it was kind of the early days of CGI things, and people didn’t know so well how to marry that kind of technical filmmaking with comedy. It was tough. It was really like trying to be funny in the middle of a math equation or something. And as a result, it made things… Very long hours, very stressful and tough on the set. I think we all felt—“we” being the actors: me and Ben, Bill [Macy], Janeane [Garofalo], and others—very out there, if you will. It was kind of a big swing, or a high-wire act, and it would’ve been hard enough just to do a little comedy with that subject matter, but given that it was a big, expensive CGI festival, it was highly pressurized.

It was tough to all agree, between the producer, the director, and Ben, Bill, and myself, especially, and then all the others actors, too. I mean, when you’ve got that many comic minds—Janeane, Paul Reubens—not to mention Geoffrey Rush and Lena Olin, it was tough for everybody to agree on the vision. And it was a first-time director, a guy named Kinka Usher, who was a brilliant visual guy and does a lot of commercials, but was not an old salt, and he had to be a daddy on the set to a bunch of ego-y actors running around, wanting their funniest bits in. So it was… There were some hilarious moments where, y’know, there we are, dressed as these ridiculous superhero characters, having very heated arguments about what we should be doing or saying, and we’d take two steps back and go, “What are we doing? I have a turban on, I’m throwing a fork, and I’m yelling about what I think would be the funnier way to throw it at somebody.” It was just ridiculous. But it was a long, technical, difficult shoot, and I think it could’ve come out better if we’d all found a way to have more fun with it.

AVC: Do you have any theory as to why Kinka Usher has never directed another film?

HA: Oh, I don’t think it’s a secret: It was so difficult for him that… it was self-inflicted. He said, “You know, I didn’t enjoy this.” [Laughs.] I think he was a genius commercial filmmaker, he got shitloads of money for making commercials, and he even said in the middle of making the film, “I’m going back to commercials when this is done. I’ve had enough. I’d much rather do my cool little one-minute shorts that I make than deal with all this nonsense.”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Sir Lemming posted:

Mystery Men would be a great choice for a re:View. It sits right in that weird spot where in some ways it's brilliant and in other ways it's dumb garbage. And there's obviously a lot to be said about how it came out at basically exactly the wrong time to do a superhero spoof.

It's also what my brain always goes to when I try to remember what 1999 looked like.

Did Mystery Men pander to the actual comic book nerd like making 10 million insider wink wink reference to ensure a "cult" status?

It's bizarre to me that this spool didn't make money but similar lazy spool like Spy (Melissa McCarthy) made tons of money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Tim Burton thing came from a quote in a Tom Waits book or interview where he says something to that effect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I listened to a podcast the other day and one of Moby's old friends had lent him an Alan Lomax box set that Moby then heavily sampled for his first big megahit album. And the guy and the podcaster 30 years later went to see Moby to get him to return the box set, and that fucker wouldn't give it back!

I listened to that one too and I guess being rich breaks your brain but if I was as successful as Moby I wouldn't have just given him the box set back but given him a little dosh for the inspiration not like it'd hurt his bottom line.

These bits from Mystery Men are my favorite and my brother and I still quote em from time to time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Ty1JfdQuA&t=82s

"I don't remember telling you to do that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz9C3Oc7Mj4

"Not necessarily..."

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 6, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I listened to that one too and I guess being rich breaks your brain but if I was as successful as Moby I wouldn't have just given him the box set back but given him a little dosh for the inspiration not like it'd hurt his bottom line.

Moby was very strange about the whole thing (although I suppose getting ambush interviewed for a CD box set you stole is a strange circumstance). He was very generous in word, telling his friend that his breakout wouldn't have even happened if that guy hadn't basically forced him to listen to that box set, but then just nothing in action. Wouldn't give him the CDs, no like thank you on the next album or something.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Look it's Lindsay. Also lol.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Career is over

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Harder they Fall is fun. Would recommend

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Garland doing Dredd

It's kind of an urban legend, but John Carpenter was allegedly brought in to reshoot at least 40% of Halloween II as the studio felt the movie wasn't scary enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

Bone claw wolverine sickens me
BONE CLAW IS READY

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Castor Poe posted:

It's kind of an urban legend, but John Carpenter was allegedly brought in to reshoot at least 40% of Halloween II as the studio felt the movie wasn't scary enough.

thats funny because halloween isnt scary at all

(im a big man)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sunk Dunk posted:

thats funny because halloween isnt scary at all

(im a big man)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

And what's that coming in at the end of the clip? Why, hello old friend

I watched Rat Race the other night, probably because somebody mentioned it in this thread a couple months back or something... it ends at a Smash Mouth concert, where they perform All Star.

Is there a list somewhere of all the movies that used that loving song?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pham Nuwen posted:

I watched Rat Race the other night, probably because somebody mentioned it in this thread a couple months back or something... it ends at a Smash Mouth concert, where they perform All Star.

Probably.

But you're better off using that time to watch It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Rat Race is basically a modern version of that movie but it's way better than Rat Race.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah but Rat Race isn’t seven and a half hours long!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

quote:

The 1999 film Mystery Men.
The opening credits to the film Shrek.
The movie Rat Race, where Smash Mouth performs the song at the end of the movie.
Digimon: The Movie, where it is the last song played before the movie ends.
The 1999 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, where Smash Mouth performed it.
The movie Inspector Gadget.

But there's more

Flunked (2008)
Go Tigers (2001)

Both documentaries. I think that might legit be all of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Before Shrek came out Mystery Men was the All-Star movie. There are even clips from the movie in the music video if I remember right.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does Mystery Men also end with a Smash Mouth concert or am I inventing that memory?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

Before Shrek came out Mystery Men was the All-Star movie. There are even clips from the movie in the music video if I remember right.

Correct. I remember seeing that video on MTV about a trillion times in the summer after my freshman year of college, as my parents had waited until I moved out to get cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

Also, I didn't realize that the whole things starts with loving Dane Cook.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Does Mystery Men also end with a Smash Mouth concert or am I inventing that memory?

Nope, the song plays over footage of the Mystery Men on the news after they've saved the day

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Nope, the song plays over footage of the Mystery Men on the news after they've saved the day

Yoda booty dance again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

Yoda booty dance again.

I either need to drink more or drink less

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rat Race was way better than it had any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Rat race wasn’t as good as mad mad world, but it was really good and mad mad world really is a concept that lends itself to having remakes every couple decades or so. It’s basically just comedy set pieces starring whoever is big in comedy at the moment, and so long as they aren’t literally reusing the same script between films that sounds like a perfect thing to revive again and again.