Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know this story because I wrote it in one of theose giant threads for stories about trolling in videogames. I'm afraid to admit that it was a work of fiction.

Edit: not sure where to grab the orginal I but found a copy someone posted on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4ywlsu/whats_the_most_dedicated_case_of_the_long_con/d6rgfqc

Man, I love how every comment after your story spills out super technical details explaining why it couldn't happen. Nerds gonna nerd, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Time_pants posted:

You are--and I want to put this in the most precise, accurate terms possible--the greatest person to ever walk the Earth. Thank you!!

That video seemed oddly familiar to me and I realized I've seen Leigh Hart abuse a blender recently--skip to 13:20 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x824d08

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, I love how every comment after your story spills out super technical details explaining why it couldn't happen. Nerds gonna nerd, I guess!

rich kid spotted

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That video seemed oddly familiar to me and I realized I've seen Leigh Hart abuse a blender recently--skip to 13:20 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x824d08

I haven't watched NZ TV since i moved away years ago, it's funny how basically the same fuckers from like 2009 are still NZ's main/only funny people, but also, the show isn't bad! It kinda makes me wish I'd bugged out back there for covid like some of my friends. Maybe NZ comedy isn't as dire as when I left to work on UK comedy...?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

A Strange Aeon posted:

Used to be easier to make stuff up I guess.

But it really made my day to find out something I wrote ten years ago was still fondly remembered.

userbanned4post
Jan 4, 2022
I'm looking for a EXTREMELY old home video that was filmed on one of those lovely old film/electric camcorders that recorded in 144p 2MP. We used one of those dvd burner things and iirc it got thrown in the unfinished section of the attic. The damp, animal inhabited, concrete section with those tiny crawlspaces every few feet. I guarantee that those unprotected disks are absolutely wrecked after 15 years, but idk, maybe we'll find an old hard drive or smthn. :cry:

18charactersallowe
May 21, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Maybe NZ comedy isn't as dire as when I left to work on UK comedy...?

I think NZ taskmaster has been better than recent GB seasons (Leigh is in season 1).

Here’s a longshot: I remember reading a YA book back in the early 90s that was pretty similar in theme to Harry Potter (magic school for kids), but the magic involved weaving/textiles. I think. To some degree - at least the climax involved the antagonist turning professors into piles of thread/yarn.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oh, on the tip of my tongue. Jane Yolen wrote it. Wizards’ hall!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

18charactersallowe posted:

I think NZ taskmaster has been better than recent GB seasons (Leigh is in season 1).

My wife loves British Taskmaster, is the NZ version streaming anywhere?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, it's on dailymotion, or if you poke around on reddit someone probably has it in a google drive. There's also Taskmaster Norway on Youtube with subtitles, which is pretty good too.

18charactersallowe
May 21, 2011

Domus posted:

Oh, on the tip of my tongue. Jane Yolen wrote it. Wizards’ hall!

Yes! Thornmallow! Thanks a million :)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I dunno, New Zealand, probably. :nz:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

18charactersallowe posted:

It's funny because i don't really regard most of those comics as super funny but it does add up to a funny show, at least the dailymotion one linked upthread. Like madeline sami to me is mildly amusing (except her now outdated but great helen clark impression... "bend me over and spank me") but yeah unlike UK taskmaster it feels like they're still trying.

I briefly worked on NZ would i lie to you in a non editorial capacity and remembered thinking NZ would never do a good version of an imported UK panel show. 7 Days excepted as it was a knockoff rather than an imported format.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I know nothing about the NZ media scene except that Matt Heath and Ursula Carlson clearly have some kind of rider on their taskmaster season 2 contracts preventing them from coming last.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
There was a song, I'm sure by 4 non-blondes, which was a single and had a music video, some time in the 90's. One of the lyrics I sort of remember is something about "aliens in Tennessee" which I took to mean it was about aliens landing in the state. I think it was Tennessee but I can't remember. I googled it and can't figure it out!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWKw15rCoI

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you. Whatever the song was though, that's not it. Now I'm even more confused.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Then it's Superfly or it wasn't 4 Non Blondes.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Back in the early 2000's I saw the local Ohio band Vic Daniels Quartet perform and they slayed. At that gig I bought their album With The Crows (home burned cd, paper label). It was my #1 driving music for a long time. Years pass and many moves later that cd gets lost.

I've been searching for that album for about ten years now. A few piss poor live recordings are up online, but not the whole thing and not the good pro recordings the cd had. The band since broken up and hate each other; none have responded to my attempts to contact.

It's probably lost media at this point but I can't stop searching until I have it and have uploaded each song for the world to enjoy (properly credited, of course).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There was this internet 1.0 personality who was basically a crazy lady who lived in a hole in the ground in the woods while tapping power supplies. I remember her taking testosterone to become more horny for some reason. Think she might have been an Awful Link of the Day at some point.

Did I dream this? If not, who is she and what happened to her?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Faye Kane

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bingo! She appears to have been banned from most major sites and was apparently living as a full time BDSM slave as of 2014.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm pretty sure the whole thing was someone's hosed up erotic bsdm fiction. Hence the pseudonym Faye Kane - faking.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Then it's Superfly or it wasn't 4 Non Blondes.

Yeah it probably wasn't 4 non-blondes then. I'm at a loss! It was a band made up of white ladies or at least with a white lady singer, and it was an American band.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
There can't be that many all female bands that got air play in the 90s, right? Was it L7, the Breeders, Wilson Phillips, Dixie Chicks, etc.?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Could it be UFO by Blonde Redhead?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I used to see a whole lot of different t shirts and garments at work. Companies like to use weird unique color names. There was a shirt, a blue shirt, with a color I'd never seen before. I looked it up at the time, and I remember it saying it's the color blue you'd see on fine china. But it's NOT cornflower, cobalt, or any of the other results I can find. I feel like L's, T's, and I's were involved. It's been driving me crazy for like 4 years. I've combed all kinds of lists of blue hues, to no avail.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 7, 2022

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Brolander posted:

I used to see a whole lot of different t shirts and garments at work. Companies like to use weird unique color names. There was a shirt, a blue shirt, with a color I'd never seen before. I looked it up at the time, and I remember it saying it's the color blue you'd see on fine china. But it's NOT cornflower, cobalt, or any of the other results I can find. I feel like L's, T's, and I's were involved. It's been driving me crazy for like 4 years

Here's a big long list-O-blues. Anything working here?

blue
azure
cerulean
cobalt
navy
sapphire
indigo
sky-blue
turquoise
ultramarine
aquamarine
teal
cyan
beryl
blue-gray
blue-green
Cambridge blue
lapis lazuli
navy blue
Oxford blue
royal blue
saxe blue
cyanic
bright blue
deep blue
pale blue
clear blue
green-blue
greenish-blue
sea-green

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brolander posted:

I used to see a whole lot of different t shirts and garments at work. Companies like to use weird unique color names. There was a shirt, a blue shirt, with a color I'd never seen before. I looked it up at the time, and I remember it saying it's the color blue you'd see on fine china. But it's NOT cornflower, cobalt, or any of the other results I can find. I feel like L's, T's, and I's were involved. It's been driving me crazy for like 4 years. I've combed all kinds of lists of blue hues, to no avail.
Ls Ts and Is makes me think Palatinate Blue? (Not palatinate that's a different colour). It's a very striking colour so I could see it making an impression. Nothing to do with china though.

e: http://blue.colorcode.is/shades

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 7, 2022

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Brolander posted:

Delft?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Brolander posted:

Light blue?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lightly Lilting Blue?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Brolander posted:

If it isn't cobalt (which is mentioned all over the Wikipedia page for blue and white pottery), maybe it was phthalo blue/phthalocyanine? That's got Ls and Ts and it's a pretty weird name, Bob Ross painted with it a lot

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

phtalo blue?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

drat beaten, also look up what the color the use on all the dutch china thats what i think of when i hear blue china

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember seeing an old movie as a kid and it really freaked me out, but now I'm pretty sure it was a really bad b-movie. Only thing is, I don't know which one.

The part that wigged me out was when they cut to the exterior of the space station, or possibly an underwater station. It was rotating slowly, in a rickety creepy way that made the station seem really fragile. Now of course, I would probably see it as a really bad model.

There was a giant octopus or squid or something all wrapped up in wires, thrashing all over the place. As it did this, the lights went out in this room which might have been a hospital or something. I remember nurses.

I don't think it was The Green Slime, even though my quick scanning finds many elements: tentacles, a sick room with the lights going out, what appear to be nurses, crappy exterior shots of a model (though not the one I think I remember).

For some reason a) I remember it being in black and white, b) only one monster with many tentacles, and c) the cast was Japanese, or at least Asian. Bad memory?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Mr.Chill posted:

Back in the early 2000's I saw the local Ohio band Vic Daniels Quartet perform and they slayed. At that gig I bought their album With The Crows (home burned cd, paper label). It was my #1 driving music for a long time. Years pass and many moves later that cd gets lost.

I've been searching for that album for about ten years now. A few piss poor live recordings are up online, but not the whole thing and not the good pro recordings the cd had. The band since broken up and hate each other; none have responded to my attempts to contact.

It's probably lost media at this point but I can't stop searching until I have it and have uploaded each song for the world to enjoy (properly credited, of course).

The band's facebook page was updated literally last week, so somebody's still home. (One of the updates was even a picture of what looks like a home-burned CD??) Otherwise they have a different album available all over the place, which doesn't seem to have all their songs but hey, better than nothing?

It is pretty interesting to come across a band that definitely published music professionally and doesn't have a discogs page, though.

Meets Truck
Oct 21, 2013
When I was at an Australian primary school in the early to mid 90's I played a game on an old Mac about buying things from a supermarket, I think it might have been an educational game about the value of money or something. There was a sound that played on the title screen saying 'let's go shopping', and I distinctly remember clicking any food item and having it repeat the name back to me in a really nasally American accent - 'peanut butter' is the one that has stuck in my memory most. I've been trying to find this stupid thing for 15+ years

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Meets Truck posted:

When I was at an Australian primary school in the early to mid 90's I played a game on an old Mac about buying things from a supermarket, I think it might have been an educational game about the value of money or something. There was a sound that played on the title screen saying 'let's go shopping', and I distinctly remember clicking any food item and having it repeat the name back to me in a really nasally American accent - 'peanut butter' is the one that has stuck in my memory most. I've been trying to find this stupid thing for 15+ years

Consumer Power 2. Not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Meets Truck posted:

I think I recall this one (similar circumstances, fellow Australian who was in primary school around that era). Assuming it's the same one:

The game was literally called "Let's Go Shopping", and I'm certain that it had child voice actors. I was particularly amused by the pronunciation of "Nutmeg" for some reason. I'm sure it was bundled with another edutainment game, of which I recall nothing.

My parents probably still have the CD buried in the piles of crap they refuse to throw away; somewhere in their house.

I'll take a look on the internet myself now.

EDIT: Nevermind, ~Coxy's probably a lot closer.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 8, 2022