Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

lobsterminator posted:

And every time the game crashed you would die IRL, like when you disconnect in the Matrix.

I hope it works the same when your character goes all noodle-man lovecraftian horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torquemada posted:

He appears to be the owner of a free money tree, what the hell is he doing at CI.

If you own a free money tree, the only way to go is to have two free money trees.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah, I love to log out, go to CIG's broken-rear end website, and submit a character reset request every time I die to make sure I don't permanently lose my $45 spaceman hat. Truly this is the future of gaming.

e: also thanks for the shadowrun tips, I haven't played it or D20 modern in probably close to two decades at this point, so I might as well be goin in blind. Looks like it's gonna be Spycraft at first (cause I already have all the books) but then I legit might pick up Coriolis.

I'm really enjoying some of Modiphius' 2D20 games right now. Conan is a complete blast, as is Achtung! Cthulhu if you fancy punching some Nazi Cultists in the face.

I've also heard good things about Coriolis, but haven't read/played that yet.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Bofast posted:

No, no, I mean Chris is probably still trying to rewrite the Star Citizen netcode in QuickBASIC for MS-DOS or something along those lines.

Well, that's just the prototype, tier -1 if you will. Chris is more of a broadstrokes guy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I don't really follow star citizen but I'd been watching a bunch of 'top mmos' videos to find some for me and my friends, and ONE video mentioned it. Which was weird because i don't think people can play? Or you play with partial code?

You can play it, it's just insanely buggy, full of deliberate unnecessary tedium and every game system is a little broken.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just a little broken? i guess they have been making progress

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Awesome! posted:

just a little broken? i guess they have been making progress

Don't worry mum I'm not having a baby I'm just a little pregnant

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

Sim City used to be one of my top 5 all time favorite games, and Sim City 2013 was going to be a game changer.

Then it came out and wasn't but

That's pretty much all I need to know.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Didn’t all of Sim City 2013’s promises of super simulated little people turn out to be absolute smoke and mirrors bullshit.

So, star citizen.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Didn’t all of Sim City 2013’s promises of super simulated little people turn out to be absolute smoke and mirrors bullshit.

I'm kinda necroquoting here but...

PAAAAARP!!! posted:

You aren't keeping up - there's a reason it has always been called the 'Living Breathing Universe'. They discussed many years ago what the universe will feel like and how the NPC's will behave.

They have likes and dislikes. Favourite places to hang out. Friends and family. They have jobs. It's not just a 24 hours schedule that they have they have a weekly and a monthly schedule, but more than that they can and will react to their environment and may decide to up and move to a new place or new profession altogether.

They have said it many times over and over again: There are no background NPC's in Star Citizen or Squadron 42. They have lives, they live and die. They have jobs and careers. Some will be Murray Cup racers, some will be politicians, some will be billionaire businessmen with protection teams around them 24/7, some will be burger flippers. They have goals. They have friends and family, colleagues. They have allegiances and most of all... they have memory.

It works like this:

When no player is around to see an NPC that NPC is 'virtual' and simulated on the backend systems. Their life goes on in the background and they 'virtually' respond to any events that are pertinent to them.

When an NPC is in a place where a player encounter is possible, they become 'instantiated' - they are present in the world space. There are 3 stages Quanta ->virtual-> instantiated. This is where the Quanta are handed over to the NPC scheduler. The process also reverses Instantiated --> virtual --> Quanta - but even as Quanta any variables previously assigned (face etc) and history stay with that quanta so that if they ever 'instantiate again they come back as they were with a memory of what happened to them.

The more a player or players interact with an NPC the more attributes and backstory that NPC is given, this why they say there are no background characters because any one of them could become a main character for you (this happens dynamically, randomly chosen from a database of variables, but any variables are location and environment aware). This means that some rando NPC you find in a bar could become your crew mate and best friend. They have a history, they have personality traits and preferences they have things they may ask you to help them with.

The universe is full of characters, not just static mission-givers. There is a government system both local and empire wide, you can go an visit the Senate. There are Spectrum stars - TV shows to watch like Empire Report, they have names and lives like Jax McCleary, Jimmy, Timo Baxxi, Laylani Addison, Beck Russom - you can go and finds them. For the first few years one of the perks of subscribing at the $20 level was to be able to name and give a backstory to an outlaw character who lived on Spider. They stopped doing it because so many qualified.

Squadron 42 takes place in the same game universe as star Citizen, (Jared Huckaby described it as one huge dynamic mission in the PU) only a few years earlier. Many of the characters that you meet in Squadron 42 may well be still in the PU after you retire, they may have relatives who know you and what you did in the military. This will affect how they deal with you. There may be some who are not happy with you, there may be some who think you are the great war hero. Choices you make in Squadron 42 will affect your life in the PU.

Events happen in the Empire. The economy booms and busts. Factions fight with each other. Areas come to prominence then fall into disrepair. As the economy booms the more affluent and influential NPC's move into the area, as an economy declines the affluent move out and the crime/low status population move in.

Some NPC's have jobs and careers in the universe. Military, advocacy and you will be encountering them everywhere you go. But they also have 'off time' so you may well find the guard who scanned you at at microTech New Babbage Interstellar Spaceport is they guy laying on the lilo at the pool next you on Cassel. Every NPC will have a unique appearance, you'll recognise them and they will recognise you. There are businesses in the universe - for example a company called Visangio operate a fleet of Genesis Starliners equipped with luxury cabins who operate regular passenger services to such exotic destinations as Aydo on Green to see the Murray cup races, or the Lagora Island Chateau tropical beach resort on Tangaroa.

So after reading this, my first thought was that at some point one of the backers asked 'so what about the NPCs?" And some PR guy saw that, spent five minutes drinking $5000 espresso, and poo poo out the above passage out of nowhere. The backers read it, salivated a little more, and reached for their credit cards once again to buy a hot tub for their Idris so the NPCs would have a place to relax after the hard days of their offscreen lives. Then one of the coders saw this, realized it was complete bullshit, but decided to keep quiet and not rock the boat. And so bullshit becomes canon.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Something like 95% of drug and addiction counselors are former drug addicts. Which fits a little TOO well in this instance

But you know what, this fellow sure is creating heaps of content for the thread! Star Citizen is a land of contrasts

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MinorInfatuatedLabradorretriever-mobile.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't want to be friends with the bartender in real life, why would I want that in a videogame

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Barudak posted:

I don't want to be friends with the bartender in real life, why would I want that in a videogame

You're not getting it, f they truly have their own lives it feels even better to abuse the wage slave NPCs by throwing around your justly-earned whale influence. Then they will go home and cry to their NPC daughter because they lost their job because they missed a speck while they were cleaning your rear end in a top hat with their own toothbrush.

If they really get out of hand you can start with the dismembering and chemical castration. Such gameplay!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

He appears to be the owner of a free money tree, what the hell is he doing at CI.

Dunno, why don't you check their website?

superluminal

:iiam:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Think less "friend" and more "kidnapped sex slave amputee" and you'll get the appeal to the backers.

Play posted:

If they really get out of hand you can start with the dismembering and chemical castration. Such gameplay!

Yeah.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2022

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Can we get CIG to do a quality pass on ALL starter/cheap ships? posted:

The state of starter ships is bad especially going into a free fly, but realistically they have always been some of the most bug ridden ships in the game and get barely any attention. This makes no sense when trying to build a community and attract new players. None of the issues are new, if a ship is pending a rework or new tech then tell us. If someone has a buggy ship as mentioned in another post they should be given an additional loaner with minimal known issues. Starter ships should be a priority above all other ships to be gold standard and reasonably bug free , change my mind. EDIT: Mainly talking about auroras and mustangs as the first landing page for new players on the store. We are actively funneling new players into the most outdated buggy ships as their first experience with SC, ships unable to do the most basic missions and functions due to bugs not specifications. TLDR: Remove auroras/mustangs from the stores available starter packs, fix them, or give loaners that are more functional and better represent the current game to a new player (pisces, titan).

quote:

I maintain, they have nothing wrong.

For the Mustang it's because those guys call bugs something that is not a bug but a current limitation.
The mustang can't store manual packages because it has no room inside for it. It's not a bug but a limitation of the actual alpha because you can't store for now manual packages in the closed cargo that Mustang, Aurora and other little ships have. As the Aurora have an inside room, you can use it for manual packages.

Glitching and having boxes falling through floor are not specific bugs to starters ships but for all ships. Calling a "quality pass" on starter ships is useless because to get rid of those bugs, you need to debug the engine for all ships, there is not one specific engine for the starter ship to debug. The one thing that makes more bugs for boxes in the Aurora is only because the inside room is so tiny that you have to be carreful when you place them on the floor. When you understand that you have to correctly places the boxes on the floor not in front of the door or the seat, you have a lot less bugs. You can replicate the exact same bugs when you place boxes on the wall/doors or stack them in a Nomad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey finally a SQ42 leak:

https://twitter.com/DigitalisHomo/status/1478094074909540354

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
It's not a bug, the game is just fundamentally unfinished and lovely. Stop spreading FUD

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

So, star citizen.

That wasn't the problem with SC 2013. That game WISHES it had the problem of undercomplexity. It would have been infinitely easier on them.

Instead, the game's Vision People clung to supercomplicated, granular, highly overengineered gameplay systems that they yammered breathlessly about in their Molyneaux-grade hype ... which effectively paralyzed the simulation at a certain scale, even when they dumbed down the discrete elements of the simulation to keep the simulation engines from grinding your CPU to a halt after a comically tiny threshold of city functions. a fractional sliver of a typical sim city game's previous max populations

So by the time they pushed that pile of poo poo out the door, the developers had tried to compensate for the obvious brokenness of their terrible system by constraining your city building area to the equivalent of a suburb

and the system was so wildly unfunctional while trying to calculate its gewgaws and its poop molecule transit that the ways to make a city functional were always hilarious, like that you should design your residential city around a single snake of highway with no intersections whatsoever

hmm maybe there's some lessons to learn here as we sell another ship which will require yet another overcomplicated completely absent and nonintegrated gameplay loop for star citizen

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Barudak posted:

Ah, but what if you didn't have any friends in real life? Or online, for that matter? The idea of an NPC bartender in Star Citizen recognizing you and playing the "happy to see a friend" mocap animation might seem wonderful to you then.

Or rather, imagining a Star Citizen where an NPC bartender could recognize you and simulate happiness to see you might seem wonderful. It's all about the fantasy for them, after all; their fantasy cannot disappoint them, while their reality invariably does.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/c/simcity/videos

This little historical relic is still alive.

I vividly remember the "What you see is always a 1:1 representation of what the simulation is doing" and realizing this wasn't gonna be one of the good Sim Cities.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Was Star Citizen the metaverse before the dawn of the meta verse?

Did we miss out on the meta?

I should buy an Idris.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

So once the game actually comes out is the intention that you just lose your poo poo if someone takes it or will the magic reset button always exist

Which answer gets you to buy an Idris?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Now, will making GBS threads be limited to terlets? I want to be 'The Phantom Shitter'. Break into ships and poop in the captain's chair. Maybe I can take a dump in a cave and leave cryptic clues to it's location and offer credits to the person who finds it.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Will there be a wiping minigame?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Incitatus posted:

Content locusts like you disgust me.

Chris's vision that every single backer solemnly pledged to support is for a game that goes beyond the usual reheated slop served by big publishers.

Wiping will be a complete skill tree and associated profession, with procedurally generated missions backed by a Hollywood-worthy narrative arc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/c/simcity/videos

This little historical relic is still alive.

I vividly remember the "What you see is always a 1:1 representation of what the simulation is doing" and realizing this wasn't gonna be one of the good Sim Cities.

the problem with simcity2013 is that Quanta technology hadn't been invented yet.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

This fills me with horror because I can see this being pushed on me in the future.

It also reminds me of that meme with the blank SC warehouse with the one coffee cart and the ball pit that bounced around this thread.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Incitatus posted:

Ben is long gone

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Shopping in real life does not have this much flushing sounds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That walmart thing is from 5 years ago when everyone thought VR was gonna be the future.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

Dunno, why don't you check their website?

superluminal

:iiam:

Indeed, him listing Superluminal as active to the Present is quite the overstatement. I did a quick overview of his website through the internet archives. It hasn't really been updated since 2006 except for blog posts up to 2013 where he opines on financial and other topics, revealing that he is some sort of libertarian rear end in a top hat.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190416184033/http://www.superluminal.us/Blog.asp

I'm sure you'll enjoy such edifying posts as "Universal Health Care Financing Problem Solved" and "America...The Land of Opportunity...or Guaranteed Benefits?".

So, this douche being in charge of the economics and direction of the PU is perhaps a good indication of where some of the politics of Star Citizen are derived from.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
How is this game not just money laundering? They're selling a ship for 40k dollars. Easiest way to clean it. It's so loving blatant.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think you've answered your own question. :v:

My question is, has the appearance of even dumber money laundering schemes (NFTs, cartoon apes, etc) cut into Chris's bottom line? Is Star Citizen competing with tech libertarians?

E: how close are we to the 10-year mark on announcement to present? Should be hitting that this year, right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

How is this game not just money laundering

were you around back when a German financial auditor was looking at their Companies House disclosures?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Appoda posted:

E: how close are we to the 10-year mark on announcement to present? Should be hitting that this year, right?

not positive and i literally could not care less to look it up but i'm almost positive it was 2012, and I think in May of that year? The month I'm not really sure about

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Being "friends with the bartender" is just sad, having friends who are bartenders is an excellent source of free drinks and highly recommended.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Being "friends with the bartender" is just sad, having friends who are bartenders is an excellent source of free drinks and highly recommended.

Friends to have in your friend shed:

1. Doctor: for "hey is this normal" questions
2. Lawyer: for "Umm, I think I hosed up"
3. Entertainment adjacent career: for "Can you get me tickets to XXXX?
4. Accountant: for "I have no idea what this poo poo means and the IRS is gonna gently caress me, can you help me? I've got a nice bottle of whiskey!"
5. Cook\Restauranter: for " Bro, I need to impress my new date can you hook me up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Don't forget

6) janitor to get you sweet gigs scrubbing toilets on space yachts
7) space news anchor to be the most boring person alive
8) Lethality so at least you know what things to avoid