Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Truga posted:

unless it blue screens on said boot, i had to reinstall my box when i switch from a haswell to a ryzen cpu because it just went into a bluescreen reboot loop

Booting once to safe mode should be enough to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
not when safe mode also blue screens lol

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Truga posted:

not when safe mode also blue screens lol

Then you have a hardware problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, because after reinstall it worked fine (until windows updates broke it again over the next 18 months). it's just poo poo software, op

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I did just have a win 7 install that really really did not want to work after changing the hardware. On the other hand I was trying to boot a pre-SP1 windows 7 disk from a virtualbox disk image under KVM, so I probably had that coming.

It's happily running again now ... under a new version of virtualbox. Some problems are not worth solving.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Most of the time when moving from old to new hardware and getting a blue screen, it was because the SATA controller on the old poo poo was set up originally as IDE and the new mobo defaults to AHCI.

Switching the new mobo back to IDE usually fixes the issue, then you can swap it back to AHCI with the registry later.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Removing any brand specific storage drivers (chipset drivers) sometimes helps as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I flip computers between intel and AMD all the time. Even my current box started on Intel like 5 years ago. Currently on AMD. Trick? Change the ACHI driver to generic before swapping. Once swapped go into Device Manager, hit show hidden devices and remove ALL old intel drivers. They will show as up as grey. After that, smooth sailing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mother fer, Windows 10 reenabled BING searches in my start menu. The normal internet answers arn't working.. help!! I hate internet searches in my drat start menu.

[edit] Gpedit.msc worked, but I did have to reboot. Dammit MS!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 28, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did you Bing the issue?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I just tried to create symlinks in Emacs, and noticed that requires a Windows-permission to be enabled for non-super-users. How much of a security risk is this? I mean it would be cool to do that within Emacs, but it's not essential.

busalover fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 29, 2021

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just use the power toys search now (alt space)
Start menu search has always sucked.

I also use agent ransack for find files because it's 100x faster somehow.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I just use the power toys search now (alt space)
Start menu search has always sucked.

I also use agent ransack for find files because it's 100x faster somehow.

Same on Power Toys, but had to look up Agent Ransack. I am away from home so I sent the page to my desktop to download. Looks interesting!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

as an alternative list:
  • shutup 10 to get rid of all sorts of annoying things such as Bing search (I think it basically just does gpedit.msc tweaks)
  • keypirinha for keyboard launching of programs and files, and I believe it's lighter than PowerToys if you care about such things
  • everything.exe for file searches, including from keypirinha

Heck, I haven't thought about Agent Ransack in years. Neat that it's still around, and I hope the free version is still good at searching inside files.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

doctorfrog posted:

as an alternative list:
  • shutup 10 to get rid of all sorts of annoying things such as Bing search (I think it basically just does gpedit.msc tweaks)
  • keypirinha for keyboard launching of programs and files, and I believe it's lighter than PowerToys if you care about such things
  • everything.exe for file searches, including from keypirinha

Heck, I haven't thought about Agent Ransack in years. Neat that it's still around, and I hope the free version is still good at searching inside files.

I have Everything on my right click menu…but I didn’t even notice it until recently and don’t know how it got there…:shrug:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

doctorfrog posted:

Can Agent Ransack search zip files?
To search in RAR, ZIP, GZ (etc) archives you need FileLocator Pro, Agent Ransack does not have that functionality.

I just use it 1-2 times a year because to me it's way faster, almost instant

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Can Agent Ransack search zip files?
To search in RAR, ZIP, GZ (etc) archives you need FileLocator Pro, Agent Ransack does not have that functionality.

I just use it 1-2 times a year because to me it's way faster, almost instant

I meant search for strings within files (I recall using it for that in the past, but I may be wrong), but it looks like the paid version of AR has searching within archives.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is there a way to make the taskbar search not search for web results? This seems like the most asinine thing to have in this. If I'm searching the web I'm on a browser, if I'm searching for xyz.txt I don't want loving Bing results.

e: LMAO that'll teach me for not reading this very page

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Can someone do me a solid, my power cut out and it seems I got a corrupt file from this happening, a Windows Task actually of all things! So I need to somehow repair or replace this file, what I need is the task file (.XML ) from someone here so I can swap them, so could someone navigate to their;

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

folder, and inside there should be 3 task files, the first one is the one I need which seems to be bugged to hell and back (literally it is in wingding text)... the other two tasks "SvcRestartTaskLogon" and "SvcRestartTaskNetwork" seem to be fine and so I don't need these two, so ywah if someone could get me that task and upload it somewhere maybe? That would be dandy.

This is on Windows 10 Pro if that matters, but I don't think it does.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Im_Special posted:

Can someone do me a solid, my power cut out and it seems I got a corrupt file from this happening, a Windows Task actually of all things! So I need to somehow repair or replace this file, what I need is the task file (.XML ) from someone here so I can swap them, so could someone navigate to their;

folder, and inside there should be 3 task files, the first one is the one I need which seems to be bugged to hell and back (literally it is in wingding text)... the other two tasks "SvcRestartTaskLogon" and "SvcRestartTaskNetwork" seem to be fine and so I don't need these two, so ywah if someone could get me that task and upload it somewhere maybe? That would be dandy.

Wouldn't running SFC be likely to find and fix that?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It doesn't find anything wrong though. I don't know how else to get this "SvcRestartTask" without reinstalling the entire OS or downloading some huge ISO or something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
wtf; I just installed 21H2 onto a empty disk and an offline account and for some reason it says "Windows is activated with a digital license".
Is it going to realise at some point that it doesn't have a key?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Im_Special posted:

Are you sure it's corrupted? You probably don't have read access to the file and it's in UCS-2 to boot.

But if you want to try it anyway, and can trust someone pasting malicious code into a pastebin, then here ya go

https://pastebin.com/Q1j9cMwq

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

~Coxy posted:

wtf; I just installed 21H2 onto a empty disk and an offline account and for some reason it says "Windows is activated with a digital license".
The digital license terminology is specific to one derived from free upgrade rights through a 7 or 8 key. 7 keys came on stickers, but 8 keys came in firmware, on laptops in particular. So a way this can make sense if you did the install on a laptop that came with Windows 8 originally and during your install it retrieved the key automatically. In which case I wouldn't worry about it, license is good. Any other case something weird is going on as far as I understand things.

Edit: wait, it's even simpler. If the computer had Windows 10 installed and activated on it previously, switching out a drive doesn't count as making it new hardware and it can get activated based on a hash stored on Microsoft's activation servers. Microsoft account isn't required for that.

VVV yeah that

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 20, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Flipperwaldt posted:

The digital license terminology is specific to one derived from free upgrade rights through a 7 or 8 key. 7 keys came on stickers, but 8 keys came in firmware, on laptops in particular. So a way this can make sense if you did the install on a laptop that came with Windows 8 originally and during your install it retrieved the key automatically. In which case I wouldn't worry about it, license is good. Any other case something weird is going on as far as I understand things.

Windows 10 and 11 store a hash value of the system on the Microsoft servers when they are first activated with a key. This means on reinstall on the same system, you don't need to enter a key - Windows will automatically activate by comparing the hash value with the one stored by Microsoft.

This happens even with offline accounts.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 20, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah I was confusing a number of situations that don't actually apply here.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had this happen a few times to motherboards. What I *think* is happening is they were pre-opened and used.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fame Douglas posted:

You can? I don't think that's true, playback stops as soon as the browser is in the background with pretty much all of them. And no, not just Youtube. I pay for Premium, so I have no need for that.

Just tested again for the hell of it, I use Vivaldi on Android. Works as described, I even get a notification and can play/pause from there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Any major issues with 21H2 that I should know about before installing? It's going to be a clean wipe/reformat when I get around to it. Even though I've not had problems with Win10 patches in the past, the widely-reported problems I've read about here in recent years give me pause.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had zero issues on my work PC. My home computers are on Windows 11.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Just tested again for the hell of it, I use Vivaldi on Android. Works as described, I even get a notification and can play/pause from there.

Must be new, then. Great to hear! Vivaldi definitely couldn't do it ~a year ago.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

~Coxy posted:

Are you sure it's corrupted? You probably don't have read access to the file and it's in UCS-2 to boot.

But if you want to try it anyway, and can trust someone pasting malicious code into a pastebin, then here ya go

https://pastebin.com/Q1j9cMwq

Yeah it's foobared, it won't even export as a XML either, and trusting a goon? With my life! And like I know Microsoft is a lot of things but malicious?

Anyways thanks, I was also able to dig up my old old POS laptop with a dying drive that is on like, the Creators Update of Windows 10 to check its Task, and that one and yours pretty much align expect for a few dates, which I think just correlate to installation times of the OS really.

And the surgery is done now, and seems to be back to working order after a reboot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Windows 10 and 11 store a hash value of the system on the Microsoft servers when they are first activated with a key. This means on reinstall on the same system, you don't need to enter a key - Windows will automatically activate by comparing the hash value with the one stored by Microsoft.

Hah, in this case I have bought a Ryzen combo off someone and this presumably means it is using his old license.
I wonder what happens if he activates his new system with the same key, whether mine will get revoked.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Hah, in this case I have bought a Ryzen combo off someone and this presumably means it is using his old license.
I wonder what happens if he activates his new system with the same key, whether mine will get revoked.

No, yours will continue to work fine. The only limit that appears to exist is a hard limit on number of new activations for some enterprise keys and a soft limit for retail/OEM/SB keys, where you can only activate x in y time (but will be able to activate again after some cooldown)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my w10 install acting lame, what do i type into my computer to flatten windows but keep my games

E: actually i think this computer has windows by itself on a boot drive, so, whats the slickest way to just re-do windows on that drive? i feel like this can/should be able to be done from within windows itself somewhere but i can never remember waht to google to find it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Settings, the Update and Security category, there should be a Restore page or something with the Reset function. That does an in-place reinstall but keeps most of your profile and installed stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO the Reset is a bad option for ficing problems -- it removes your installed apps and stuff like program settings even if you say "keep files". And the one time I used Reset it didn't even 100% fix the install.

In-place upgrade is far superior when the problem is that something with windows itself is hosed up. Much less disruptive, and just as good at fixing the problems.

Do that by downloading the Win10 Media Creation Tool. You can either make a fresh copy of the USB installer if you want to have that around (useful), or directly run it with "upgrade now".

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Klyith posted:

IMO the Reset is a bad option for ficing problems -- it removes your installed apps and stuff like program settings even if you say "keep files". And the one time I used Reset it didn't even 100% fix the install.

In-place upgrade is far superior when the problem is that something with windows itself is hosed up. Much less disruptive, and just as good at fixing the problems.

Do that by downloading the Win10 Media Creation Tool. You can either make a fresh copy of the USB installer if you want to have that around (useful), or directly run it with "upgrade now".

nielsm posted:

Settings, the Update and Security category, there should be a Restore page or something with the Reset function. That does an in-place reinstall but keeps most of your profile and installed stuff.

Thank you both, I think ill do the media thing without the USB. The computer is important to my daily usage but the data itself on it doesnt even really play a role in that.

I will say this definitely reinforces the notion of just keeping windows on its own drive (with the other basics)

There is a beautiful freedom to not needing to put any effort into preserving a file or whatever.

thanks again

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A while ago some Google news feed article mentioned that one could use some utility to shrink the size of a Windows 10 installation, either after it's installed or remove superfluous stuff from the installation media. Are my rememberings wrong again or is either of those a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A while ago some Google news feed article mentioned that one could use some utility to shrink the size of a Windows 10 installation, either after it's installed or remove superfluous stuff from the installation media. Are my rememberings wrong again or is either of those a thing?

Chris Titus Tech site has a pretty good “debloat” script to run. Also a process for a bare-bones Win10 .iso file, but I’ve never used the small install one myself.

The debloat removes a lot of stuff, but sometimes takes “search” with it!