Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

Oh, you mean like it's the exact same dungeon but the enemies sync up to max level?

I mean you could juice it up with faster attacks/more AoEs/etc on the bosses at far less cost than a FF14-style hard mode dungeon too, it's just be nice to have some form of casual endgame content that isn't braindead and extremely repetitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Dignity posted:

I mean you could juice it up with faster attacks/more AoEs/etc on the bosses at far less cost than a FF14-style hard mode dungeon too, it's just be nice to have some form of casual endgame content that isn't braindead and extremely repetitive

Ah, I apologise for casting aspersions on your intent for such a system in my previous post. Yeah this seems pretty reasonable, the most obvious example to me is remove the ability floor markers like they do for extreme trials and savage raids wouldn’t be a terrible idea. Might even supply a place to get a feel for the difference between normal and hard content.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thundarr posted:

I'll probably break down and do this, since as time goes by it becomes increasingly unlikely that combat materia 6 or lower will be useful for edge case overmelds. And they're eating a lot of space on a retainer.

You'll never get me to divest my old gathering and crafting material piles though. Sometimes the smaller numbers actually do fit better in those overmeld slots.

Yeah, this.
You can still find a use for the old Green/Blue materia, but the old combat materia is pretty much a waste.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah it’s what WoW does, I suspect the exclamation mark and specifically mentioning both heroic and mythic is maybe making fun of the system.

The basic idea is yeah, enemies scaled up to max level stats but otherwise the same. You could probably do changes similar to levelling vs extreme trials, same models but different/harder abilities for bosses.

I really like the way FFXIV used to do hard modes though, and would enjoy some form of that coming back, the remixed enemy groups and extra story was nice, but I understand why it’s gone.

that sounds almost exactly like the Unreal difficulty trials, except for a whole dungeon

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Xad posted:

that sounds almost exactly like the Unreal difficulty trials, except for a whole dungeon

It’s only for dungeons from the same expansion, basically imagine if every ShB dungeon had a max level version with the same enemies that gave max level rewards and that’s how WoW does it. WoW also has a lot less streamlined equipment though.

Heroic is basically entry level top end dungeons, they’re harder but still available via the automatic matchmaking. Mythic dungeons are harder, and you have to form a part to enter similar to the high end duties in FFXIV.

Then there is Mythic + which is pseudo-infinite scaling versions of mythic dungeons that each + level increases the health and damage of the enemies, and at specific levels adds generic mechanics. Like for example an Emet dying buffing all other nearby enemies with more health and damage, or enemies spawning explosives you have to target and kill whilst in combat. Some of them straight up added 4 additional mini bosses who killing gave huge buffs to the party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish they'd at least keep all the max level dungeons in the expert roulette for the whole expansion rather than phasing them out. 6.1 will be nice because it'll have four dungeons in EXDR (the three 6.0 dungeons and the new 6.1 dungeon), but then 6.2 is going to suck because all three 6.0 dungeons will be phased out of EXDR at the same time.

What I wish they'd do is just keep all the max level dungeons in EXDR for the whole expansion and just scale up the dungeon loot for the earlier ones to be on par with whatever the last patch was. For example, in my idea, when 6.2 comes out, the loot from the 6.0 dungeons would be scaled up to match the item level of the loot from the 6.1 dungeon, just so players don't feel like they're getting total garbage. And then by the end of the expansion, there'd be eight dungeons in the EXDR rotation and you'd have some actual variety there.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

TopHatGenius posted:

Our group uses tank LB1 for aetheroplasm boom during UWU. It helps mitigate the heavy damage from the orb soaks and we still have LB3 ready for melee when Ultima Weapon is charging for citadel buster enrage.

Oh yeah I do this when I get Ultima EX in mentor, helps a ton.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thundarr posted:

I'll probably break down and do this, since as time goes by it becomes increasingly unlikely that combat materia 6 or lower will be useful for edge case overmelds. And they're eating a lot of space on a retainer.

You'll never get me to divest my old gathering and crafting material piles though. Sometimes the smaller numbers actually do fit better in those overmeld slots.

I would absolutely recommend ditching all your materia when certain patch drops. If you're not into Savage/Unreal raiding and/or crafter pentamelding, then they're just unrealized capital - to the MB they go.

And oh boy do they go. :negative: I need to recoup my losses. That crystal gathering idea is not a bad one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s only for dungeons from the same expansion, basically imagine if every ShB dungeon had a max level version with the same enemies that gave max level rewards and that’s how WoW does it. WoW also has a lot less streamlined equipment though.

Heroic is basically entry level top end dungeons, they’re harder but still available via the automatic matchmaking. Mythic dungeons are harder, and you have to form a part to enter similar to the high end duties in FFXIV.

Then there is Mythic + which is pseudo-infinite scaling versions of mythic dungeons that each + level increases the health and damage of the enemies, and at specific levels adds generic mechanics. Like for example an Emet dying buffing all other nearby enemies with more health and damage, or enemies spawning explosives you have to target and kill whilst in combat. Some of them straight up added 4 additional mini bosses who killing gave huge buffs to the party.

I used to want something like Mythic+ in FFXIV but I realized after a while that with how the dungeons are designed, it'd never work, or at least not without a ton of dev work going into redesigning all of the enemy encounters (both trash packs and bosses) to be more complex as the difficulty scales up. FFXIV's dungeons being so linear means that one of the main challenges in WoW's Mythic+ dungeons--the timer--would kinda just be reduced to a dungeon-long DPS check, and making less linear dungeons wouldn't be good for FFXIV because it would make the dungeons much less accessible and more likely to spark rear end in a top hat behavior when a tank doesn't know the best route on their first run. And without a timer, there'd need to be extra complexity to increase the challenge, and that's where they'd run into being more dev time than they'd be worth. I'd love some seriously hard-mode 4-player content but it's hard to see how it'd fit in to FFXIV as it currently exists, unfortunately.

Something like Heroic would be nice, though. Just having max-level versions of the leveling dungeons, maybe added into EXDR, would create a lot of extra variety, and as others have pointed out some of the leveling dungeons end up being spicier than the max level dungeons could ever be (lookin' at you, Holminster).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Give me another deep dungeon you fucks

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RME posted:

Give me another deep dungeon you fucks

I’m pretty sure they’ve already announced plans for another deep dungeon this expansion.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does anyone else have a bit of visual overload during the fire/light phase of E1S? It's not particularly hard since you can move with the group for the most part but the glowy floor + the multiple set of orbs circling him + him swinging his chains all at once make it really hard for me to parse what's actually happening in a way I've never had before in any fight, Savage or otherwise.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does anyone else have a bit of visual overload during the fire/light phase of E1S? It's not particularly hard since you can move with the group for the most part but the glowy floor + the multiple set of orbs circling him + him swinging his chains all at once make it really hard for me to parse what's actually happening in a way I've never had before in any fight, Savage or otherwise.

It’s a lot visually, as someone who already has the party ability graphics turned off that one is still quite a lot visually. I’m be sort of devolved into just paying attention to each new rule as the mechanics are loaded up, then execute based on memory instead of current visual. The chain swings in particular are something you can visually ignore once you see the weapons he throws out.

The floor should probably not glow the way it does tbh. It’s visually distracting and completely unnecessary to look at once you know the layout.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was trying to think of what part of Eden Prime that applies to but context says you're talking about Panda. After a while I just stop seeing the boss as what it is and just see the actions it does. I see Left, In, Fire and once I'm in position for that I could close my eyes if I wanted and still be ok.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If feels like that mechanic was originally going to be two different floor colors that you had to switch between but they pared it back last minute :v: I could swear the Normal mode only has one set of glowing orbs but I could be wrong.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kazy posted:

If feels like that mechanic was originally going to be two different floor colors that you had to switch between but they pared it back last minute :v: I could swear the Normal mode only has one set of glowing orbs but I could be wrong.

Fourfold Chains is also a strange mechanic. It's exactly the same as the first chains, but you have to stand in your spot 4x as long to resolve it. I'm glad it's not a Light Rampant style relative position dance but it felt like it was missing something.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I just did Castrum Lacus Litore.

Holy poo poo that was a fun raid. I think the first fight is what killed me the most but it was fun and hectic trying to learn the fights while the whole group was racing the timer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have a hard time seeing the colors/chains just on E1 normal. And if there's a summoner in the party I just guess and pop any defensives and try to copy where other people go.

Maybe I can gently caress around with reshade or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SettingSun posted:

Fourfold Chains is also a strange mechanic. It's exactly the same as the first chains, but you have to stand in your spot 4x as long to resolve it. I'm glad it's not a Light Rampant style relative position dance but it felt like it was missing something.

I think it's meant to be an anticipation/"antsy" trap, because like you said, you can literally just plant in the right positions for upwards of 15 seconds but drat if something about it makes you wanna move every time a quarter of it resolves. loving weird.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s a slasher villain mechanic because it starts with one person being in the wrong place and then methodically eliminates people one by one as you can only watch

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will give it some credit in that during prog of P1 our summoner Ifrit charged halfway through Fourfold and hilariously murdered everyone.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's a lot visually but they come out slowly enough that you can resolve one at a time.

First he drops the hook to determine whether you should be right or left (just run to the opposite side)

Then he drops the chakram/flail to determine whether you should be in the inner or outer ring.

Then you look up to see which element is around him to determine whether you should micro adjust onto red or green.

There is one time he does chakram+flail, but that's simple because it's always in/out or out/in and you can be on any side of him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

If there was some roulette that kept me at max level for abilities and then randomly threw me into any level dungeon that'd be cool.

It'd be a nightmare to balance gameplay to be anything but "hold W and mash all your abilities" so I won't ever expect it and it's probably not a great idea anyhow?

I just want to see more of the stormblood dungeons, those are fun and flavorful

this is what I want

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Harrow posted:

I wish they'd at least keep all the max level dungeons in the expert roulette for the whole expansion rather than phasing them out. 6.1 will be nice because it'll have four dungeons in EXDR (the three 6.0 dungeons and the new 6.1 dungeon), but then 6.2 is going to suck because all three 6.0 dungeons will be phased out of EXDR at the same time.

What I wish they'd do is just keep all the max level dungeons in EXDR for the whole expansion and just scale up the dungeon loot for the earlier ones to be on par with whatever the last patch was. For example, in my idea, when 6.2 comes out, the loot from the 6.0 dungeons would be scaled up to match the item level of the loot from the 6.1 dungeon, just so players don't feel like they're getting total garbage. And then by the end of the expansion, there'd be eight dungeons in the EXDR rotation and you'd have some actual variety there.

That would suck when dungeons with armor in them dropped and I had a limited amount of time to assemble every set I could before a new dungeon with new armor dropped and the old armor went away.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just give the 50/60/70/80 roulette half a level of XP like the levelling one. It's ridiculous that there's all those dungeons and no incentive to run them on alts.

Also make sidequests a viable way to level so there's a reason to do them. Make it a buff that you get once you finish that expansion's MSQ if you're afraid of people overlevelling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leraika posted:

That would suck when dungeons with armor in them dropped and I had a limited amount of time to assemble every set I could before a new dungeon with new armor dropped and the old armor went away.

Oh I don't mean the actual armor should go away. I'm saying it should scale up in ilevel but stay the same appearances. They could even apply it to pieces players already have in their inventory--it's not like scaling up gear that's two patches out of date to have the ilevel of gear that's one patch out of date would really gently caress up the gear curve all that badly. To use a Shadowbringers example, I'm suggesting that when 5.4 came out, the gear from Anamnesis Anyder and all previous level 80 dungeons would just scale up to match the ilevel of the gear from the Heroes Gauntlet but still be the same appearance--still out of date, but not multiple patches out of date.

Or just leave it the same but offer a few extra tomes or something so players don't feel like they're getting screwed out of vaguely useful gear if they roulette into a 6.0 dungeon during 6.3 or something.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 6, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RME posted:

It’s a slasher villain mechanic because it starts with one person being in the wrong place and then methodically eliminates people one by one as you can only watch

It's this. For the single hit in the opening, if people screw it up chances are a couple people die but the fight continues. The second time around, if anybody screws up their position the entire raid dies one by one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
On a completely unrelated note, maybe I am dumb but I think Artifact Gear from old expansions should scale up in item level to the minimum required to start the next expansion. Like, you spend zero time wearing it before replacing it with Poetics Gear or whatever, so it just seems sad to me. And it also streamlines the new player experience a little. It would still be weaker than Poetics gear, but at least it wouldn't be immediately useless from the start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

On a completely unrelated note, maybe I am dumb but I think Artifact Gear from old expansions should scale up in item level to the minimum required to start the next expansion. Like, you spend zero time wearing it before replacing it with Poetics Gear or whatever, so it just seems sad to me. And it also streamlines the new player experience a little. It would still be weaker than Poetics gear, but at least it wouldn't be immediately useless from the start.

I think that makes sense. There's really no need to be precious with catch-up gear, y'know? Catch-up gear is easy to get in FFXIV as it is, having a few more sources of "still weaker than tome gear but usable" gear wouldn't throw things out of whack at all.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

Oh I don't mean the actual armor should go away. I'm saying it should scale up in ilevel but stay the same appearances. They could even apply it to pieces players already have in their inventory--it's not like scaling up gear that's two patches out of date to have the ilevel of gear that's one patch out of date would really gently caress up the gear curve all that badly. To use a Shadowbringers example, I'm suggesting that when 5.4 came out, the gear from Anamnesis Anyder and all previous level 80 dungeons would just scale up to match the ilevel of the gear from the Heroes Gauntlet but still be the same appearance--still out of date, but not multiple patches out of date.

Or just leave it the same but offer a few extra tomes or something so players don't feel like they're getting screwed out of vaguely useful gear if they roulette into a 6.0 dungeon during 6.3 or something.

You and I are very different people when it comes to gear (even if you're not going to hoard it for glams, with the coming of the minion loot boxes there's a reason to mass convert things to seals again), but yeah I totally wouldn't object to more tomes for early level cap dungeons and it seems like it'd be less of a programming nightmare/less incentive for people to find the dungeon you can speedrun fastest and only do that one forever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leraika posted:

You and I are very different people when it comes to gear (even if you're not going to hoard it for glams, with the coming of the minion loot boxes there's a reason to mass convert things to seals again), but yeah I totally wouldn't object to more tomes for early level cap dungeons and it seems like it'd be less of a programming nightmare/less incentive for people to find the dungeon you can speedrun fastest and only do that one forever.

Oh, dungeon gear is just for glams or seals for me, too, most of the time. I'm just imagining that there are probably players who'd be disappointed if they got, say, a 6.0 dungeon in EXDR during 6.4 if they wanted some catch-up gear for an alt job or something. Either scaling up the ilevel or giving some compensation non-capped tomes or something would smooth that over, I'm guessing.

Generally my main motivation is that I just think it would be cool if EXDR consistently got more variety as the expansion went on, and not less, and I'm just throwing out guesses for reward structures that would make that work as well as possible. I know by the end of 5.55 I would've been thrilled to have eight possible dungeons in EXDR instead of just two, no matter what the ilevel of the gear they dropped was.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

Oh, dungeon gear is just for glams or seals for me, too, most of the time. I'm just imagining that there are probably players who'd be disappointed if they got, say, a 6.0 dungeon in EXDR during 6.4 if they wanted some catch-up gear for an alt job or something. Either scaling up the ilevel or giving some compensation non-capped tomes or something would smooth that over, I'm guessing.

Generally my main motivation is that I just think it would be cool if EXDR consistently got more variety as the expansion went on, and not less, and I'm just throwing out guesses for reward structures that would make that work as well as possible. I know by the end of 5.55 I would've been thrilled to have eight possible dungeons in EXDR instead of just two, no matter what the ilevel of the gear they dropped was.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a bit more variety in EXDR too, and I think more tomes would be the best way to do it - I'm just thinking back on the 2.x days when the only thing people ran EVER was Brayflox hard because you could speedrun it (and the 2.x days before that when the permitted speedrun strat for tomes was four summoners running WP. 2.x was wild).

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure they’ve already announced plans for another deep dungeon this expansion.

I've fanboyed this before, but Lunar Subterrane or riot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's dumb as hell that the final MSQ dungeon at least isn't always in the EXDR mix. they're even ilevel synced!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

It’s because the artifact gear can be upgraded via systems. Eureka and Bozja both had upgrade pathways for that gear.

I agree though that it is a bit silly.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Right now, with all poetics gear having an extra 100 tomestones tacked onto the old cost for the augmenting surcharge, it can actually be kinda hard to get more than a couple pieces of ironworks gear unless you're actively seeking out some of the more esoteric sources. Not a huge fan of that change to costs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's dumb as hell that the final MSQ dungeon at least isn't always in the EXDR mix. they're even ilevel synced!

Thank god its not, I already get beyond sick of Emet Selch narrating the fall of Amaurot for as long as it was in EXDR, if it was a permanent fixture it'd probably have pushed me into just not doing them

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do people just not do the other max level roulette or what

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

5.0 was god tier for exdr because the 3 dungeons were Amaurot, Twinning, and Akademia Anyder. Top tier music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regy Rusty posted:

Do people just not do the other max level roulette or what

I typically only run expert roulette, and even that I don't need to do consistently.