Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Hulk has been solidly relegated to supporting character ever since his movie crashed and burned and he's doing well there. But supporting characters don't get games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Could be that Disney/Marvel's brand management don't want a game where you knock around innocent bystanders and destroy property. They've got an image to maintain.

At least for movies, Universal owns the rights to the Hulk. There is something with him being ok as a side character, but not getting his own movie. I wonder if that is the same for games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think The Hulk Ultimate Destruction (THUD) had the earliest 'open level, wall run to traverse' style movement of that type that I can remember, lot of fun on the Original Xbox.

Also made by Radical Entertainment. When they lost the Marvel license they made Prototype.

e;fb

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CitizenKain posted:

At least for movies, Universal owns the rights to the Hulk. There is something with him being ok as a side character, but not getting his own movie. I wonder if that is the same for games.

That apparently expired but no idea about the video game license, those seem even more Byzantine than the movie rights

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally got past the first boss in Nioh. I like the structure of the game where you can pick discrete missions in particular maps. I've picked the first optional one for now, and I like the Synergy in that I just finished the boat, and now I'm STARTING at the boat and basically taking the level backwards.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

I finally got past the first boss in Nioh. I like the structure of the game where you can pick discrete missions in particular maps. I've picked the first optional one for now, and I like the Synergy in that I just finished the boat, and now I'm STARTING at the boat and basically taking the level backwards.

Yeah one of the strengths of the Nioh series IMO, is that because of the mission structure, it feels somewhat like a series of short Survival Horror experiences, compared to the traditonial Dark Souls dungeon crawling experience.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also like the transition between languages whenever people are talking since the main character William is Irish - he speaks lightly-accented english, Hattori Hanzo speaks heavily accented English with a japanese accent when addressing William and everyone else speaks Japanese. Also I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with Hanzo's apparently magic kitten that he checks like a stopwatch. :3:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know it's super old-hat at this point, but Demon's Souls' first level just has such a cool sense of being a believable place, even as you're running around on castle walls and stuff. Every time I start a new DeS character it blows me away.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been complaining for a while about the recurring snow beast boss fights in Dead Space 3, but I finally got to the last one, and it is indeed very satisfying to rip it in half using two laser-guided harpoons :black101:
That doesn't change the fact that it's shittily designed (limited-timed and fast-moving weak spots, while it moves fast enough to slam you 4+ times in a row while you're running away at top speed), but at least I got something good out of it at the end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lobok posted:

Crackdown felt like a very rudimentary platformer. You had a powerful jump but I don't remember much else for movement. I don't think it even had ledge grab.

:orb: and you don't need ledge grabs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like the transition between languages whenever people are talking since the main character William is Irish - he speaks lightly-accented english, Hattori Hanzo speaks heavily accented English with a japanese accent when addressing William and everyone else speaks Japanese. Also I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with Hanzo's apparently magic kitten that he checks like a stopwatch. :3:

William is a gigantic dickhead, which owns. One cool detail (re: Languages) is that William can't understand or speak Japanese until he interacts with the cat spirit, which gives him the ability to. He continues to use English even when other characters can't understand him though, presumably because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Also the cat thing is Obscure Ninja Lore; folklore/old wives tales about how you can tell what time of day it is to the hour by looking at the dilation of a cat's eyes.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
That’s why it’s cool when Hanzo actually speaks English on the beach at the end. That’s the only time he does it, right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

That’s why it’s cool when Hanzo actually speaks English on the beach at the end. That’s the only time he does it, right?

I only just beat the first Yokai boss and he spoke english while speaking to william.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah at the beginning of the game he addresses you in english

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Batman Arkham Asylum: Batman is consistent about not killing anyone; if you scan defeated enemies, it is shown that they are alive, albeit unconscious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mamkute posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum: Batman is consistent about not killing anyone; if you scan defeated enemies, it is shown that they are alive, albeit unconscious.

Batman is one of the most skilled people in the world at never killing anyone, after Kazuma Kiryu

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There's a really awesome bit in Mafia III where you crash into the attic of a church, and you hear what sounds like distant hymns or a choir, but as you get closer to the source you find it's just "White Room" by Cream reverberating in the huge church halls.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gave the first optional mission in Nioh a go. I like how they have progression, like the story mission it's nightfall and the whole city is on fire, with yokai and bandits everywhere. Now that the Yokai boss is dead, the sun is rising, the bandits are all that is left and the fires have gone out. It's like the anti-dark souls in that it seems to have hope that things are getting better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think The Hulk Ultimate Destruction (THUD) had the earliest 'open level, wall run to traverse' style movement of that type that I can remember, lot of fun on the Original Xbox.

I may be misremembering, but didn't Prototype start life as a Hulk game/sequel or something?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Considering it takes place during late Sengoku era Japan, it’s hard to imagine rampaging demons are going to make things much worse. You probably know already, but every named human in the game was a real person or at least heavily based on one. Even Derrick!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rarely in the souls games and bloodborne you can smash an enemy ragdoll right through the floor and it's very satisfying when this happens

https://i.imgur.com/xjHyfre.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DKvrjA5.mp4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

rarely in the souls games and bloodborne you can smash an enemy ragdoll right through the floor and it's very satisfying when this happens

https://i.imgur.com/xjHyfre.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DKvrjA5.mp4

I'd put the Yoda scream on them, if I knew how to mess with mp4s at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SkeletonHero posted:

Considering it takes place during late Sengoku era Japan, it’s hard to imagine rampaging demons are going to make things much worse. You probably know already, but every named human in the game was a real person or at least heavily based on one. Even Derrick!

There's a million games that take place in and around that era for a reason, it's pretty much its own genre, comparable to Three Kingdoms era China, or WW2 for Europe. There's a loving Pokemon spinoff based on it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Prototype was the first true “murder simulator” Jack Thompson and his ilk could’ve probably genuinely complained about. It encourages just the most psychopathic gameplay. Turn your arm into a giant tentacle, use it to grapple up to a helicopter where you eat the pilot and learn how to fly the thing, jump out of it to elbow drop a tank to smithereens and then change your arms into blades to carve up the dozen surviving soldiers in a matter of seconds as their bullets gently bounce off your iron body. Finally, run into an alley out of sight where you grab someone’s grandpa, eat him, become him, and then casually walk out in your new perfect disguise

Prototype owned

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Witcher 2. When Geralt's dwarven companion, Zoltan, brings him to meet the leader of the elven Scoia'tael rebels, he has to call out a password. The elven contacts then give a countersign to confirm their identity. The password? "Kier-ke-gaard". The countersign? "Hei-de-gger".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kit Walker posted:

Prototype owned

The 'Patsy' unlockable skill :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTIvNIfMdU&t=86s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Prototype was the first true “murder simulator” Jack Thompson and his ilk could’ve probably genuinely complained about. It encourages just the most psychopathic gameplay. Turn your arm into a giant tentacle, use it to grapple up to a helicopter where you eat the pilot and learn how to fly the thing, jump out of it to elbow drop a tank to smithereens and then change your arms into blades to carve up the dozen surviving soldiers in a matter of seconds as their bullets gently bounce off your iron body. Finally, run into an alley out of sight where you grab someone’s grandpa, eat him, become him, and then casually walk out in your new perfect disguise

Prototype owned

Somewhere around the mid-point of Prototype I realized that despite all the cool and insane poo poo you could do in it, I just wasn't having fun anymore more and it had turned into a grueling slog. I love the idea of Prototype, but a lot of its minigames were crap. That's not to say I didn't like the game, I just lost patience with it after a while.

Personally, I liked InFamous better when I played it afterward Prototype. More InFamous 2, really, that game kicked rear end.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Somewhere around the mid-point of Prototype I realized that despite all the cool and insane poo poo you could do in it, I just wasn't having fun anymore more and it had turned into a grueling slog. I love the idea of Prototype, but a lot of its minigames were crap. That's not to say I didn't like the game, I just lost patience with it after a while.

Personally, I liked InFamous better when I played it afterward Prototype. More InFamous 2, really, that game kicked rear end.

It kinda fell into the trap where it kept wanting to challenge the player, but at some point the player becomes so powerful that the only way to challenge them is to throw similarly overpowered things at them. Hence, shitloads of hunters and missile launchers everywhere. Sandboxy games like that should really just embrace that the player is gonna be overpowered as hell at some point and just focus on offering fun ways to live out that overpoweredness, rather than trying to stay difficult.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Perestroika posted:

It kinda fell into the trap where it kept wanting to challenge the player, but at some point the player becomes so powerful that the only way to challenge them is to throw similarly overpowered things at them. Hence, shitloads of hunters and missile launchers everywhere. Sandboxy games like that should really just embrace that the player is gonna be overpowered as hell at some point and just focus on offering fun ways to live out that overpoweredness, rather than trying to stay difficult.

I just wish Prototype didn’t walk back it’s big twist of “Actually no, you weren’t framed at all, you really WERE a massive piece of poo poo and this is all your fault” and turned it into “actually you’re a weird goop clone of the guy whose fault this all was and HE was a huge piece of poo poo.” Doesn’t Prototype 2 try to walk back that walk back and paint Goop Alex as the villain for real? I never got around to playing it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wish Prototype didn’t walk back it’s big twist of “Actually no, you weren’t framed at all, you really WERE a massive piece of poo poo and this is all your fault” and turned it into “actually you’re a weird goop clone of the guy whose fault this all was and HE was a huge piece of poo poo.” Doesn’t Prototype 2 try to walk back that walk back and paint Goop Alex as the villain for real? I never got around to playing it.

Prototype 2 does some silly plot things in regards to the first game, but it goes so full on stupid with it that it ends up being pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Yeah the first game was kind of bad about giving you a bunch of moves that only worked against normal people but you very quickly became able to kill normal people with just regular attacks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah the first game was kind of bad about giving you a bunch of moves that only worked against normal people but you very quickly became able to kill normal people with just regular attacks.

Feels like it's a very 00s thing, like with superhero movies for so long being reluctant to have any source of superpowers other than what the protagonist has, so they fight nothing but regular dudes with guns the whole movie til they fight a mirror of themselves. (Oddly enough the MCU can probably be credited with breaking this habit, at least within itself)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

nine-gear crow posted:

Prototype 2 basically says that the Mercer you play in the first game 'lost faith in humanity' and suddenly wants to destroy it. There was a comic released in between the games that shows this happen, but it's still a pretty dumb change from out of nowhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Oddly enough the MCU can probably be credited with breaking this habit, at least within itself)
Now there's no source of plots except Tony Stark.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
So I played horizon zero dawn

Definitely liked it

It definitely suffered from you starting off way-way under powered and working you way towards how the system feels like it should be.

(I'm looking at you power cell armor)

I was more invested in the story than I usually get with these games

The thing had a nice feeling of a single Player mmorpg. There always being something to do was cool

The crafting was kinda so so, functional but a bit muddled and in need of a GUI an UX pass but was fine. From what I've seen of the sequel they are aware of this

Also the loving arrows just were inaccurate, just constantly swerving or going off target. In a game about selectively targeting parts this was very frustrating

Definitely had a bit of whiplash(?) With how multicultural and non-gendered the cast of characters were

It kinda felt like I was playing through an episode of the magic school bus at times. But I would much prefer a game that awkwardly succeeds at a multi ethnic and non trad gender cast. Rather than tripping over their dick with an ill thought out race or societal parable. Was just a bit hard to take intertribal conflict barriers too seriously when everyone was just so nice to each other . All art is political and all thst

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jestery posted:

So I played horizon zero dawn

Definitely liked it

It definitely suffered from you starting off way-way under powered and working you way towards how the system feels like it should be.

(I'm looking at you power cell armor)

I was more invested in the story than I usually get with these games

The thing had a nice feeling of a single Player mmorpg. There always being something to do was cool

The crafting was kinda so so, functional but a bit muddled and in need of a GUI an UX pass but was fine. From what I've seen of the sequel they are aware of this

Also the loving arrows just were inaccurate, just constantly swerving or going off target. In a game about selectively targeting parts this was very frustrating

Definitely had a bit of whiplash(?) With how multicultural and non-gendered the cast of characters were

It kinda felt like I was playing through an episode of the magic school bus at times. But I would much prefer a game that awkwardly succeeds at a multi ethnic and non trad gender cast. Rather than tripping over their dick with an ill thought out race or societal parable. Was just a bit hard to take intertribal conflict barriers too seriously when everyone was just so nice to each other . All art is political and all thst

How do you feel about Ted Faro?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't think I ever finished Prototype, but on the other hand I still fondly remember the thermobaric tank mission.
That thing was loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfvSGN7pmGE

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do you feel about Ted Faro?
gently caress Ted Faro.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there's a point in the game where you have to go to war for everything you do and everywhere you go. It wasn't really difficult per se, it got tedious.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The conversation has moved on from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction without mentioning the stealth section, and I'm here to correct that (the stealth bit starts at about 3:03:30 if the timestamp doesn't work; a full LP was the first thing I found that actually had it).

If you don't want to watch the video, Hulk has to infiltrate a military base, so he grabs a truck and slams it down over himself, then crouch-walks through the base until he gets to where he's going. It should be obvious to anyone because the truck is just moving around, not touching the ground, and you can see the Hulks green legs underneath it, but the game just runs with it. It's a short funny break between sections of HULK SMASH! and it's the only mission (well, part of a mission) I remember from the game. Other than that, I just think of how fun it was to just leap around everywhere and smash the poo poo out of everything. Saints Row IV had similar movement powers. I've never played the Prototype games, so I might check those out; I'm sure they'll be pretty cheap these days.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Hulk stealth section was them making fun of the previous Hulk game which had Banner stealth sections that everyone hated.