Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Mr. Trampoline posted:

What's your Pyromancer team? I've been using a fairly effective one though I feel like there are a couple of units I could swap.

https://pastebin.com/k1QYWyFa

Still unrefined, but right now I'm working on getting a Particle of Akara to slap on the Unblinking Kraken's staff. That'll give it a whole lot of extra base intelligence, which causes a large boost to the initial burn potency. The burn from the perk Firestarter is always inflicted by the creature with the highest intelligence, btw.

The spells gems are almost all enchanted to cast twice, and the Centaur's gems have cast on attack and attack on cast chance

Baller Time fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I haven't seen this in the OP or in the last pages, so here's a party builder with searchable traits

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I had forgotten how exhausting it is to brainstorm a new build when you have 200+ creatures unlocked.

Edit: Kinda want to try to force a build for the weird statue parts from the gallery, but their abilities are just so... strange

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm still in the early, early tutorial stages and already I start fights and spells go off automatically and my creatures attack more times than I realised was going to happen and things die and it's awesome. It never feels like too much. It's hilarious instead.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yes that’s exactly it. It’s great!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HopperUK posted:

I'm still in the early, early tutorial stages and already I start fights and spells go off automatically and my creatures attack more times than I realised was going to happen and things die and it's awesome. It never feels like too much. It's hilarious instead.

The complex part isn't playing the team, it's building it. Like a puzzle. Or programming.

I'm down several hundred floors (I recently unlocked guilds) and I still like watching everything go nuts.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My fun pyromancer thing is the force attack on provoke relic+auto provoke before combat+increase burn potency when attacked you get at the start and attack on enemy burn damage taken+efreet that deals 4x burn damage on attack.

Another fun component of the build is storm Lord+thunder storm+I think shadow bulwark to just add some pocket immortality

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried making a Spellweaver build? Trying out the class, but it seems pretty complex compared to a lot of the others.

Alternatively, what's the best monster to use to keep up spell charges, since Spellweaver seems to be one of those caster specializations that doesn't have that in their perks.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I just discovered this game and it's really neat, and insane and unpredictable in a fun way. Picked Warden because buffs are fun and seem powerful, but as it turns out the buffs themselves are almost meaningless and what they actually do is serve as a method of giving my critters stats and free actions that they spend on more party-wide buffs that trigger more buffs that trigger more stats and actions that eventually result in my Brownie/Centaur hybrid firing off 20 attacks with huge splash damage and wiping the board. I often don't even get a turn before winning.

Then I realize I'm only 40ish floors, one class and maybe 100 creatures in, so I've barely scratched the surface. :shepface:

I'm also a sucker for games that let you find/earn skins instead of making them DLC and holy poo poo I can turn into a Wolf Baron from the old Shining Force games so kudos for the devs in their fine taste in Sega classics.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone tried making a Spellweaver build? Trying out the class, but it seems pretty complex compared to a lot of the others.

Alternatively, what's the best monster to use to keep up spell charges, since Spellweaver seems to be one of those caster specializations that doesn't have that in their perks.

All the party wide traits apply to very specific spells (Vile Wolpertinger for scourge spells for example) or are otherwise fairly situational. Djinn Arcanomancer doesn't expend charges but you'd have to trait-share it if you want other creatures casting.

Otherwise wait to unlock anointments and it becomes moot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LostRook posted:

All the party wide traits apply to very specific spells (Vile Wolpertinger for scourge spells for example) or are otherwise fairly situational. Djinn Arcanomancer doesn't expend charges but you'd have to trait-share it if you want other creatures casting.

Otherwise wait to unlock anointments and it becomes moot.
I figured out that since Spellweavers can cast 3 spells (multiple times each) per cast, I just set it up so that the middle spell is always Recharge (adds 3 charges to all your spell gems), and that pretty much solved any charge issues I had.

Edit: Luckmantrias are a really neat-looking monster family, and also seem to have a really strong mastery relic. What would be the best specialization to build a team of them with? Trickster?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 6, 2022

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Up to realm level ~135 at difficulty 1 and instability 2. Sometimes 3. Usually win before turn.

Had to use Animator for a goblet. My animator minion thing copies Pandora, which casts 5 spells. He has the bow relic that will 100% cast a spell again. And on spell cast, if spell gem fires it buffs 10% damage as INT. The Pandora also casts 5 spells. And on cast, requiem to revive all just in case. Oh, and there’s a salamander that makes all spells 50% cast again. 7% chance to add a buff for each spell cast, so after ~12 spells, it’s a buff every time. And then when something dies, the corpse explosions begin via the high health Koloff fusion. Which can get 50% cast again. AND those can get cast AGAIN with Zonte’s staff relic.

I know this isn’t even scratching the surface but it is bonkers and I love it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm running a sweet Animator setup where member 2 is an Assault Griffon/Clamorous Cockatrice combo, so it and my Animatus both have ~30% chances to take an extra turn. It's also got a relic with Fallen Carnage's trait, so when it kills something it gets a full heal and another turn anyway...

...which helps when I cast Dark Ritual on my beefy third party member to donate all of its stats and start the Corpse Explosions going :getin:

e: i'm dumb corpse explosions happen when enemies die

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 7, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got any experience with playing around the Bomb debuff?
Wanna see if I can make a Toxdweller build, but it feels a bit awkward, since bomb kinda just seems like a worse burning.

Edit: both burning and poison seems to have a lot of synergy with various monsters and god relics, while bomb seems to have Toxdwellers and a handful of chaos spells.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 7, 2022

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I feel like the finished card set bonus for Toxdweller, which makes it so bomb debuff cannot be removed, is pretty much mandatory before a bomb build can be viable.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Finished the story missions as Reaver.

I would like to say that the fusion of a Doomsday Specter and a Glutinous Slime with a speed/attack item and backed by one or more generous gem Evolution casts is hilariously effective at shifting the odds and easily carried me all the way to killing the final story boss. Every time it gets bonus stats, it ads a quarter of that to all allies and removes that same amount from enemies. It evolves into some other Specter afterwards, but the enemy's attack will usually be already completely crippled at that point. Casting the generous Evolution gem on itself was the first move of every battle (after the twice-my-level enemies were done with theirs), and usually the deciding one. Only personal spells it really needed was a doublecasting Rabid Dementia (attack a random enemy really hard) to cast on itself or an ally. It had Prismatic Channeling (strong battlefield wide direct damage) and Spell Leak (seal enemy ethereal gems) as backup for me to manually cast if things start going wrong. Ideally, post-game, I'll get the Laughing Wisp socketable trait for it, since it gives it 50% damage resistance and immunity to debuffs, while the Reaver's perk takes care of the timeline shifting downside.

Second spot was taken by a fairly simplistic Elder Ent/Ebony Ent combo. All my guys take 15% less damage, always have mending, and get their heals from it every time they're attacked. It served as a passive healer and as a mule for two important generous gems: Evolution (gives the target a shitload of stats based on their current stats, allowing exponential growth on repeated casting, and also changes the creature to another of the same race, but keeping the fusion trait intact) and Camouflage (changes all my creatures to the caster's class, useful when facing a team that's heavily focused on one class). I deliberately avoided boosting healing up further because I wanted to avoid Blight (turns healing into damage) mishaps, and it already did the job good enough. I had Maelstrom (single target Confused+Feared) to help deal with bosses and any enemy runaway stat growth. I'd prefer some better spell to go there, but it's what I had, and it did the job. Item was focused on health and defense, since the only job of that creature was to not die. The socketable trait reduced the damage my creatures take on first turn by 50%. Boring, straightforward, and extremely effective.

Third spot was a Valkyrie Scout/Unicorn Vivifier. If my creatures get attacked, it retaliates, and if it hits an enemy and does damage, it revives one of my dead creatures. The main gems were Hero's Blessing with extra charges and extra chance to attack after casting (a chance to remove a debuff from all my creatures every time it attacks, very useful for softening the impact of start of battle debuff spam) and Major Resurrection for reliable revivals when attacking isn't an option. It carried a generous Divinity (revives everyone, fully heals everyone, removes all debuffs, works on both friends and foes) for OHSHIT situations. Surprisingly useful, since the Reaver is always at an advantage when the field is leveled. Item gave it a balanced mix of hitpoints and stats. Its first move was usually applying the generous Evolution on the Specter. Probably another candidate for the Laughing Wisp socketable.

Fourth spot was a Spry Satyr/Gimp Mummy. The key component is the Satyr, since he prevents enemies from casting more than one spell at a time, which massively reduces potential for murderous turn one chain reactions. The Mummy is there because 1) I needed a death creature and 2) it has an attack damage bonus, and I wanted a heavy hitter that wasn't dependent on stat boosting. Item focused on hitpoints and attack, and the trait socket was another attack damage boost. Spells were Wormrot (Gives all enemies vulnerable and weak, doubling the damage they take and halving the damage they inflict), Decay (seals enemy items), and Debilitate (to deal with any bonus trait stacking bullshit). The only spell it casted in most fights was Wormrot, the main job it did was just punching hard. If I were to do this again, I'd consider taking another death creature for the fusion component, maybe the Amorphous Shambler that inflicts Blight on enemies when they heal, I don't think I need quite that much damage on this creature.

Fifth spot was an Exiled Satyr/Harpy Pillager. Key component being, again, the Satyr. This one prevented enemies from attacking more than once at a time, which worked really nicely with the Ent's bonus. The Harpy redirected enemy attacks away from the original target, ensuring that my lowest HP creatures wouldn't get focused down, and preventing certain unpleasant attack chain feedback loops. Item mostly focused on health and defense, this is a support caster. Key spell was Flame Lash which gave all my guys Berserk (+50% attack damage) and Splash (neighbors of target also take damage), allowing for some absolutely insane followups. The other spells were a doublecasting Infernal Charge (targets attacks random enemy really hard) which let the heavy hitters do their job better and Chaos Nexus (all enemies become the class of the target) which I used to complement Camouflage in funny ways.

Final spot was Disciple Occultist/Phase Knight. Disciple Occultist sealed any enemy gem after it's used, obviusly extremely useful. Phase Knight reduced indirect damage dealt to my team by 70%, which massively reduced the potential for weird fuckery to kill my team. This one was the final addition to the team, I used a different fusion for a long time, but it was not as good. Item focused on defense and intellect. Spells were a doublecasting Rabid Dementia, a double targeting Conductive Chains (a chain spell that eventually hits every enemy but starts with a single target) with defense penetration and extra damage, and a generous doublecasting Elemental Tome (gives my creatures extra random spell gems) for when I face a weird situation and don't have a good toal to deal with it right now.

All items were helmets because I figured I wasn't going to regret having extra health, and the stat slots could be changed on the fly. Trick slots were as many damage mitigations on as many creatures as I could afford, and attack damage and spell damage boosts in the other slot where relevant. One thing I should have though about more was a way to remove enemy buffs, and maybe a secondary way to remove debuffs from my team. Giving the ent an extra gem slot for something suitable would probably have been wise.

I struggled with the composition at first, I just seemed to lack the ability to fit in enough traits, until I realized that I don't need the Apocalypse creatures. Reaver's quirks are more than good enough for ensuring that I win if a fight turns into a long grind, what I needed instead was something to keep me alive in the first few turns. I think the description of the Reaver has potential to be somewhat misleading. You only really need one quirk scaling with turns and one quirks scaling with fights, especially while you're still using the starting Apocalypse, the rest of the quirks should be focused on preventing your team from being disrupted by miscelaneous fuckery. The battle exhaustion quirks are only worth it once you can max out all of them at the same time, but at that point they become amazing. There is no mechanism I've seen so far that can in any way reduce battle fatigue, outside of Reaver's quirks, and it will bring the fight to an end fairly quickly.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed the class. I'll probably use the strength of this party to unlock basic post game content before starting to explore another class and party composition.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Phase knights are real frickin good I'm discovering, as is the Greater Dispel gem. Having life spells, especially Requiem/Resurrection, on generous is also a really good idea.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yeah. Having Requiem as the spell gem on a staff for a multi-caster is really nice. Or as the spell gem in a sword for a multi-attacker, like a Trepidation Wight for example.

On another note, got inspired by some Pyromancer chat a ways back. Hadn't touched my build in probably like 50 realm levels so decided to update it. Played for a bit and made some revisions to it. Probably have a ways to go but HOLY poo poo does Inferno do absurd things. Managed to stack up to this.

:stare:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

crestfallen posted:

Yeah. Having Requiem as the spell gem on a staff for a multi-caster is really nice. Or as the spell gem in a sword for a multi-attacker, like a Trepidation Wight for example.

On another note, got inspired by some Pyromancer chat a ways back. Hadn't touched my build in probably like 50 realm levels so decided to update it. Played for a bit and made some revisions to it. Probably have a ways to go but HOLY poo poo does Inferno do absurd things. Managed to stack up to this.

:stare:

The hell is "d" damage? Dillion?

E: Nevermind I'm dumb, it's Qd.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Fricken wild. The bump going from Spectral Rain (+50% buff/debuff potency) to Inferno (+100% burning potency) made it go from like 10s of millions to quadrillions instead. WHAT. I don’t remember what the before number was exactly — still absurd — but the increase was order of magnitude.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The first Hell Knight didn’t work, because apparently you need some defense to not die on the first turn at depth 150.

I’m planning something like this. Anything I should tweak/add to those missing slots? The idea is to have my second centaur go fast, kill something and then have the rest autoattack.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Unless I missed something the Cockatrice isn't doing anything for you -- none of your creatures have race-specific bonuses. You could replace it with another support, like a super speedy Greater Dispel caster to keep you from getting wrecked by Confusion and Curse.

e: nm, missed the Master of Centaurs. Definitely work in a Curse/Confusion solution imo if you haven't, I run a similar team in slightly lower depth as a Warden and those statuses are the only thing that can stop me

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 9, 2022

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I put the Big Brained trait from the Bio Bot on my team for Confusion immunity. Curse and reflect damage taken isn't so bad. Often everything on the field dies, including my team, then the last thing that happens is some of my creatures resurrect from a Pyromancer perk and I win

Edit:

Oops, this was about Hell Knight, never mind

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Unless I missed something the Cockatrice isn't doing anything for you -- none of your creatures have race-specific bonuses. You could replace it with another support, like a super speedy Greater Dispel caster to keep you from getting wrecked by Confusion and Curse.

e: nm, missed the Master of Centaurs. Definitely work in a Curse/Confusion solution imo if you haven't, I run a similar team in slightly lower depth as a Warden and those statuses are the only thing that can stop me

Thanks, missed an Asura to leech health on critical (I.e. always). Good point about Confused, though.

Now to do the Artifacts to see if I actually can put enough speed and defense without compromising attack, which is always my least favourite part.

Edit: Then I have to worry about blighted. Hmmmnnnnn....

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hmm, so apparently the Windrunner perk that disables all "On death" traits also prevents the Centaur raider "Attack 3 random enemies when an enemy dies" trait, which means I need to find another way to force my main attacker to go off. Any suggestions?

Edit: Electropod team

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, missed an Asura to leech health on critical (I.e. always). Good point about Confused, though.

Now to do the Artifacts to see if I actually can put enough speed and defense without compromising attack, which is always my least favourite part.

Edit: Then I have to worry about blighted. Hmmmnnnnn....

Nature Shapeshifter is a pretty good bulwark against confusion, assuming it's alive your creatures will heal each other on attacking instead.

As for Blighted, I've been using the Leeches--there's one that gives all your creatures Leeching, and another that protects your creatures with Leeching from Blighted (and ups the healing a bit).

For Curse, I haven't found anything that works quite as well, but the damage from Curse (and probably Blighted for that matter as well) is indirect, so Phase Knight works on it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Phase Knight is definitely a solid piece of the team toolbox.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Yes, but what is everyone's opinion on the following mess:
https://berated-bert.github.io/sira...&r=alcritaasujr

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Half-wit posted:

Yes, but what is everyone's opinion on the following mess:
https://berated-bert.github.io/sira...&r=alcritaasujr

It's cool but it looks like it doesn't help with the most important part of teambuilding: trying it out and realizing that some weird edge case ruins everything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've found it! The one non-niche useful exotic creature

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I found an exotic creature that simply attacks 3 times a turn. I haven't used it for anything yet and I can't remember it's name, but I definitely think it has a bunch of obvious uses.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh I'm slightly exaggerating, there are some useful generalist ones, like the fish that gains +10% damage for every other creature it starts above of on the timeline.
Just slap a mimic on that guy, and you have a monster with permanently +110% damage

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 11, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I got the one that kills all his allies and steals 20% of their stats at the start of his turn.

But then I fused him with the monster that attacks four times whenever an ally dies and the traits don't interact the way I wanted them too so he's only okay :negative:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any realms in particular that are good to focus on for the various prophecy goals, like pandemonium shrines, treasure golems and dumplings?
I read somewhere that blessings for Regalis eventually makes dumplings show up in cocoons in Arachnid Caverns, but are there any gods for the others?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
FYI patch came out yesterday that buffed a few specializations and apparently made some performance improvements. Blight builds got jacked around with a little

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got a good starting point for the Dreamshade specialization? There's the obvious relic, but other than that, it's hard to pinpoint just what exactly you want (other than spells causing damage/debuffs to the entire board I guess)

Also, did some damage to Shallan when I finally got through her defenses earlier:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any realms in particular that are good to focus on for the various prophecy goals, like pandemonium shrines, treasure golems and dumplings?
I read somewhere that blessings for Regalis eventually makes dumplings show up in cocoons in Arachnid Caverns, but are there any gods for the others?

Gambling realm (forget the exact name) is good for getting extra tickets.

Which is good, since I can't remember the random trivia guesses for the life of me.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone got a good starting point for the Dreamshade specialization? There's the obvious relic, but other than that, it's hard to pinpoint just what exactly you want (other than spells causing damage/debuffs to the entire board I guess)

Been trying to figure this out myself. Notably, there's no AoE way to reapply Inverted outside the first round, but you can increase potency for everyone by killing stuff, so I imagine you want to build the glassiest of glass cannon teams.

On specialization chat, is it just me or Grovetender just not really suited to the way this game works? Unless I'm missing something it's a defensive version of Animator, which is great in drawn-out slugfests that pop up when you roll bad instabilities and fusions, but 99% of the time it's just too drat slow. The big problem I've been having is your little dude can only evolve once per turn, and he doesn't come into his own as a superunit until his third or fourth level; prior to that he's just kinda above average.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
You can give your other guys timewalk to help him grow faster. Still, the class is definitely a victim of the fact that with how many fights you have in a realm, build that win turn 0 let you progress a lot faster than builds that win on turn 10, even if they're both equally reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I remember from playing Grovetender back in EA that you could set it up so it grows to max size during the first turn, mainly by using timewalk. Can't remember the exact setup though, and haven't played the class since release

For Dreamshade, it really feels like you need the high tier mirror relic, since that lets you reapply inverted whenever it runs out. Almost seems necessary for the build to work.

Edit: There's also a spell called "Wormhole" from the amalgamation gardens that lets you force any of your units to the top of the timeline. Extremely useful, I've been using it in my electropod windrunner build to force scaling + indirect damage triggers.

Edit2: Hm, just remembered that the Muse godling Emus applies inverted on hit, could possibly be useful.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 15, 2022