Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1476912949428170752

"Whatever you think of Ben Roethlisberger personally" is doing more heavy lifting than a worlds strongest man competition, Jesus loving christ

I hate the "Gave X amount of years" thing. Ignoring Ben's conduct, he was paid something like 150 million dollars for it.

I'm all for players getting paid big money if they're good enough, and Ben certainly was, but it's not like he did it out of the goodness of his heart.

I also lol'd at her trying to drive attention away from Aaron Rodgers, who is still active, still a very good QB, and will likely be on a new team after this season, which could change the complexion of the Packers' division.

Meanwhile, the Steekers stink, and have stunk for a while, partly because of Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ChickenMedium posted:

Is it possible that this person just hates the Steelers? Because "[Ben Roethlisberger] embodied the ethos of what that club fancies itself to be" is some extreme shade

She’s an NFL Network reporter who mostly covers the Steelers (And AFC North), so allow that information to help you interpret the tweet however you like.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i think that's why they love to be called "clubs" so much, connotes a sense of pluck and passion that is not, fundamentally, what the franchise is about

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the professional athlete/serial abuser Big Ben.you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jtoonkel/status/1479109466851184643

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

At The Athletic, All Headlines Will Now Look Like This

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I trust the NYT to actually support and fund this so that’s good. Maybe we’ll get the missing beat writers back

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They better not do all the Mr and Mrs poo poo in the articles now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Every league acronym will have periods now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Troy Queef posted:

The New York Times is Buying The Athletic. Why That’s Bad News for Joe Biden.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Like Peas in Guacamole, Here's How Jarrett Allen Makes the Cavaliers a More exciting N.B.A. Team.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Is Maggie habermann a hooper or a baller?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Like Peas in Guacamole, Here's How Jarrett Allen Makes the Cavaliers a More exciting N.B.A. Team.

I have a friend that works at the NYT cooking section and she genuinely seems to have PTSD about that whole thing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

I have a friend that works at the NYT cooking section and she genuinely seems to have PTSD about that whole thing
I can understand, because IIRC just about the entire American sector of the Internet went absolutely loving nuts over that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

morestuff posted:

I trust the NYT to actually support and fund this so that’s good. Maybe we’ll get the missing beat writers back
lol the NYT is right in the thick of unionbusting another acquisition, The Wirecutter

https://twitter.com/wirecutterunion/status/1478791412489633793

I canceled my subscription today.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 6, 2022

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

bawfuls posted:

lol the NYT is right in the thick of unionbusting another acquisition, The Wirecutter

https://twitter.com/wirecutterunion/status/1478791412489633793

iirc The Wirecutter won their fight; this is them expressing solidarity with a different union also being mistreated by the times.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Now it has been made official.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1479211607439908864

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does this mean I'm going to stop being able to get it for $2/month?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

No it just means that when you try to read an Athletic article you'll get an NYT ad taking up half your phone's screen asking you to sign up for them for as little as $2/month.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

General Dog posted:

Now that they don't need to pump subscriber numbers for an acquisition I'd guess the deals are done, if not this year than once the NYT fully takes over.

For 30 bucks a year it's a "why not" kind of thing but honestly their Cubs coverage is pretty bad, even with 2 writers on the beat and Keith Law seemingly writes 5 pieces a year now so I'm ok letting it go.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I get free Athletic from the NYTimes subscription my work pays for, then I consider it a good thing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Troy Queef posted:

Extremely good post. :five:

Also, the linked Times article closes with:

quote:

When Mr. Mather and Mr. Hansmann started The Athletic, they said much of the nation’s sports coverage was “empty calories” produced by slowly dying newspapers, adding that a media company focused on journalism for sports fans would be better for readers.

Early on, Mr. Mather boasted in an interview with The Times that The Athletic’s goal was to let local newspapers “continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing.”

lmao.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Athletic also sent an email to subscribers. Said there won’t be any changes to subscriptions for now. We’ll see.

Watch that become as hard to unsubscribe from as the NYT :haw:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why we're joining the New York Times.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A Bret Stephens column on how the Kansas City Royals are anti-Israel

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

harperdc posted:

Watch that become as hard to unsubscribe from as the NYT :haw:
I think I had to click about half a dozen times to unsubscribe yesterday.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I subscribe to the New York Times and the athletic. I’m fine with this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Have you ever wanted Sports Illustrated branded clothing, sold by JC Penney?

Well, good news!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BigActionBill/status/1480005854371926018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Well, good news!!

That logo looks like something left on the hood of my car. Just give me a performance fleece cut my new subscription and leave it there.

Also lol

Definitely not complaining about his own place of employment, no sir posted:

... a lot of sports media UI now is less than appealing. It’s never the writer’s fault.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Well, good news!!

No football phone? No deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bad look.

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1479791869714436098?s=20

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1479802618969010188?s=20

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/loriamontgomery/status/1479872584212692998?s=21

When I said it was full of poo poo I in fact meant it was full of truth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"FOS" is short for "Full Of Strong factual assertions that should be considered seriously", don't ya know.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BigActionBill is awesome. He does awesome deep dives on Godzilla film history on youtube in between Francessa impersonations and spoofs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

BigActionBill is awesome. He does awesome deep dives on Godzilla film history on youtube in between Francessa impersonations and spoofs

His Francesa impression videos are just top tier content.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1481646361170776077

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Amusing/annoying: How Michael Wilbon has repeatedly talked over the past two months like he's the only person to have discovered how talented Ja Morant is.

On another note, anyone catch Cowherd yesterday? He had a segment on Aaron Rodgers going off on Boomer Esiason over Boomer publicly sharing the contents on an anonymous text critical of Rodgers. Cowherd essentially told Rodgers to stuff it and move on because sports talking heads don't have to be right or wrong, they just share tips from sources and give their opinions. So, essentially (although Cowherd didn't say this), they are unaccountable.

Then came a segment where Colin goes bonkers on how ridiculous it is for sports fans to form their opinions based on "social media." It's so uninformed and a cesspool.

So, to sum up, Cowherd and his peers can say whatever they want. No problem. It's grist for the mill. But if you dare to be informed by some other entity on social media and you buy into it, you're a fool.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Experts on social media = bad
Idiots like Cowherd on traditional media = good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The X-man cometh posted:

Experts on social media = bad
Idiots like Cowherd on traditional media = good.

Can they all be bad idiots?