Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I cringed at the juxtaposition of the standard Washington Post "gift a subscription" footer with this particular photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0OPl4pTBc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a naked gun reference.

Whats that?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zil posted:

Whats that?

A silly movie, but that's not important right now.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zil posted:

Whats that?

:ohno:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Captain Hygiene posted:

A silly movie, but that's not important right now.

:golfclap:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/PabstBlueRibbon/status/1477996134387834888

It's real, and yes, read the replies

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Holy gently caress, this is pure (brown) gold.

Not even noon and this motherfucker is in savage mode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They deleted it! I should have taken a screenshot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Somebody did, although unfortunately not the comments and replies.

That was close to 4 hours, I'm surprised it made it so long

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Unpaid intern strikes again

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"... and dad."

Looool.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/TheThirstyWench/status/1478070381437198339?t=WhI8yPobP9TKBWuWwXsMRQ&s=19

It got dumber

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rear end eating, the primary hallmark of 2020

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/imanimlewis/status/1478565249611567108

https://twitter.com/AllThingsDante/status/1478476282178461697

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1478488793569280001

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will never understand how Chris Brown continues to have a career. 'Cancel culture' would have been totally justified in this particular case. Consumers are idiots

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Phlegmish posted:

I will never understand how Chris Brown continues to have a career. 'Cancel culture' would have been totally justified in this particular case. Consumers are idiots

Roman Polanski still has a career, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The thing about "cancel culture" is it only works on people who have shame and/or actual vulnerability to consequences. Which isn't nobody. But a lot of celebrities can simply choose not to be cancelled, and it works.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drake has made out with an underage girl who said she was underage into his mic on stage and it just got ignored.

Likewise, James Gunn and Dylan Sprouse straight up called out Jared Leto for luring underage girls backstage on Twitter without mincing words and he's still huge.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, Drake was actually the even bigger eyebrow-raise to me than Chris Brown.

I don't know if Aaliyah had a history of domestic violence, but she was definitely preyed on by R. Kelly when she was underage (including him faking her birth certificate in order to marry her). Drake has had a string of incidents that sure do look a lot like grooming!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
stan culture is stronger than cancel culture

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, Drake was actually the even bigger eyebrow-raise to me than Chris Brown.

I don't know if Aaliyah had a history of domestic violence, but she was definitely preyed on by R. Kelly when she was underage (including him faking her birth certificate in order to marry her). Drake has had a string of incidents that sure do look a lot like grooming!

Such is the power of Degrassi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brother Tadger posted:

Such is the power of Degrassi

Speaking of just plowing through cancel culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13mIfSVm4E

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

One of the more popular things surrounding the whole Chris Brown thing (aside from him beating the hell out of Rihanna) was Andy Levy of Fox “apologizing” for making a tweet referencing the incident in a disparaging manner which Chris Brown fans took offense to.

https://youtu.be/sxPl9ftWGvY

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

One of the more popular things surrounding the whole Chris Brown thing (aside from him beating the hell out of Rihanna) was Andy Levy of Fox “apologizing” for making a tweet referencing the incident in a disparaging manner which Chris Brown fans took offense to.

https://youtu.be/sxPl9ftWGvY

:perfect:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sir Lemming posted:

The thing about "cancel culture" is it only works on people who have shame and/or actual vulnerability to consequences. Which isn't nobody. But a lot of celebrities can simply choose not to be cancelled, and it works.

It only works on people that aren't popular and wealthy already

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not sure there's any set formula for who does or doesn't get 'cancelled', but there are several factors.

Are the victims also wealthy and famous people? If yes, it's more likely to harm the perpetrator's reputation.

Is the person a musician? For some reason the general public has a higher level of tolerance is the person is a musician.

How long ago did their scandals happen? Polanski for example happened long ago which gave everyone in Hollywood long enough to pick a side and have an opinion before his crimes were socially unacceptable. To bring it up now would be embarrassing for them, so its just easier to ignore it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Chemtrailologist posted:

Is the person a musician? For some reason the general public has a higher level of tolerance is the person is a musician.

My immediate guess is that, for a lot of people, listening to music is a more passive experience (not sure if that's the right word) than, say, movies or TV. It's easier to brush off "Sure, he beat women, but the music sounds good to my ear holes while I'm driving or cleaning the house" (not being dismissive...I like James Brown's music, for example) as opposed to "I'm staring at this abuser's face for at least an hour".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Roman Polanski still has a career, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Polanski had to flee the country at least. Most people think canceling is when people yell at them on twitter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Cancel culture' isn't a real thing. Awful people just scream and whine about even the potential to have their horrible actions be acknowledged, let alone suffer consequences for them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

Sometimes I wonder if he'd have less of a career if it wasn't for his notoriety keeping him in the news for so long. :negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Cancel culture' isn't a real thing. Awful people just scream and whine about even the potential to have their horrible actions be acknowledged, let alone suffer consequences for them.
At this point, someone whining about cancel culture unprompted is probably one of the biggest(while still being semi-subtle) red flags that they're a shithead.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
"cancel culture", before it became a thing the nazis stole (like SJW and Pepe the Frog), was a thing only exists for little people, like when a popular twitter or youtube person goes "this random person said something bad (but mostly just annoyed me), destroy them" and a horde of furious teens & tweens or chuds or whatever their fanbase is descend on the person with death threats
by definition it cannot happen to a person who is too rich or powerful to be fazed by angry social media dweebs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though it IS funny that the rich and powerful are genuinely fazed by social media dweebs, the entire chattering class in general has lost their goddamn mind now that the plebs are allowed to call them a moron on the internet

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ironically the biggest example of "cancel culture going too far" that I can think of is when a bunch of right wingers got mad at James Gunn for criticizing Trump, and went digging for some tasteless dumb jokes he had made a decade ago (and already apologized for), and successfully got him fired.

Meanwhile, DaBaby goes on stage in front of thousands of people and says a bunch of dumb stuff about gay people completely unprompted, gets backlash, and then whines about cancel culture. That ain't it chief.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is for leftists among themselves. Especially with how bad Twitter can amplify stuff, it's really easy for a bad faith interpretation of a mistake (or not even a mistake, just a normal inoffensive statement) to have you get dogpiled by your own side to the point of death threats so everyone can show how good of a progressive they are, with the harassment extending to your friends who refuse to immediately disavow and attack you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It is for leftists among themselves. Especially with how bad Twitter can amplify stuff, it's really easy for a bad faith interpretation of a mistake (or not even a mistake, just a normal inoffensive statement) to have you get dogpiled by your own side to the point of death threats so everyone can show how good of a progressive they are, with the harassment extending to your friends who refuse to immediately disavow and attack you.

It's a pretty common phenomenon in online communities. Just look at how SA chews up and spits out forum superstars cyclically. Sure some of the old helldumps were well deserved but others took things way out of proportion.

I also see the same backlash in other forums and comment sections, where random people seemingly come out of the woodwork to dogpile a dodgy comment. It's kinda interesting to see how primed people are to engage in a war of words over relatively mundane things.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it's less a new phenomenon and more a side effect of the entire planet becoming one big forum. People used to only get so much airtime and they had to pick and choose what opinions they wanted to put into the world. Now they can just spew everything that pops into their head 24/7 whether it's actually their area of expertise or not.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Remember when the Dixie Chicks got canceled when the republicans lost their poo poo because they called Bush dumb or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're just the chicks now